Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: XBox
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:56 
Excellent Member

Just bought a original Xbox with hard mod and 2TB sata drive.

There has been a full set of games floating around on the NG for a while so should be able to fit the lot on there as well as get some living room emulation for older stuff

Already have a modded Xbox and everything I need to do the 2TB sata change except for time!

Hoping the guy I bought it from will be able to mod my other one as well.

Post subject: Re: XBox
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Modded XBoxes remain pretty awesome things to have, it's just a shame that they never quite had the grunt to handle HD video content because XBMC really was a thing of beauty.

The best thing about it for my money is MAMEOX, you can't quite beat local multiplayer in classic arcade games from years gone by (it works perfectly with the standard XBox pads with the buttons mapped very intelligently for stuff like putting money in and pressing start). Obviously the XBox is limited in what it can run in terms of both RAM and CPU grunt, but all the 80s stuff you're fine with, and a surprising amount of 90s stuff too.

Hyper Sports and Track & Field, get in there. Oh yes and Football Champ, when two buttons was quite enough for a football game, and you can punch and kick your opponents to the ground and get away with it if the ref doesn't see you.

I actually have two modded XBoxes (original black and the slightly rarer crystal one, both with 120GB HDDs in there and a full MAMEOX set from the time), so that if the first one ever breaks I can just replace it with the second.

Got quite a few great games installed as well, OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast remains a sublime arcade racer, and Burnout 2/3, that was as good as the series ever got IMO.

Also, through a component cable set (which Trousers kindly donated to me), it's able to do 480p and even 720p(!) output in certain games, which still looks pretty damn sweet even today. Soul Calibur 2 for example (which I have) runs in 720p and you could honestly pass it off as an XBox360 or PS3 game.

A very underrated console IMO, yeah it was a big fucking ugly thing, but on balance I'd say I got more mileage out of mine that I did my Playstation 2, especially with the modding which gave it a very long set of legs long past what would normally have been its retirement date.

Still got it plugged into the big telly in the main lounge, and it gets fired up a few times a year without fail. (Mainly when games-keen chums come for a visit.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:17 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

asfish wrote:

Softmods for the original xbox were really easy (i may still have the bits around) -you just needed a memory card and an exploitable game

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:28 
Excellent Member

zaphod79 wrote:
asfish wrote:

Softmods for the original xbox were really easy (i may still have the bits around) -you just needed a memory card and an exploitable game

The one I have already has some really good hard mod on it, fancy lights and dip switches. I has a 750GB IDE with games and emulators

You can now fit a 2TB Sata drive, with a bit of research and fiddling to ensure you get the right IDE\SATA adapter.

I pretty much have everything I need including the Slayer CD to do the work

Problem is its been a long time and I need some quite time to do it all, I just don't get that with my son these days, wouldn't want it any other way either.

So easy way is to send the whole lot to this guy have him do it. Will then run one for games (the full set more or less fits on 2TB) the use the other one for emulation or maybe sell it as some point

Xbox was easily the best console ever when modded I used it for years for games, emu and XBMC until sadly as Hearthly said it could no longer play HD stuff

I would still be using it today if that could have been fixed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:56 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I modded my Xbox ages ago and it was well worth doing. If I remember rightly, our very own Richard Gaywood helped me out loads with it.

I'm slighlty leaning towards my modded Wii for certain old games now but that's purely for the pad. The original Xbox was ace.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:01 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
I modded my Xbox ages ago and it was well worth doing. If I remember rightly, our very own Richard Gaywood helped me out loads with it.

I'm slighlty leaning towards my modded Wii for certain old games now but that's purely for the pad. The original Xbox was ace.

Have you tried the Dolphin emulator? You can play WII games on the PC with that and if you have blue tooth you can ever use WII controllers as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:06 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I have tried it and thought it was pretty good but my PC and Wii are in the same room so it was a bit pointless to be honest.

My Wii has an external hard drive added to it so it'll play everything I throw at it too so I'm not going to run out of games for it. I'm using it as a dedicated Nintendo console at the moment as the Snes, Gameboy and Nes emulators on it are sublime.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:15 
Excellent Member

Quote:
My Wii has an external hard drive

Same here 1200 odd games on it :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:04 
Can you dig it?

Soft modded or hard modded wii?

I messed around with softmods about 4/5 years ago and it worked for some games but not all..... Been meaning to revisit for some time, even if it's just to get some use out of the poor neglected wii.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:41 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Mines softmodded and it's brilliant. I have a USB loader on there which displays all my installed games in a lovely manner. Well worth doing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:35 
Excellent Member

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Soft modded or hard modded wii?

I messed around with softmods about 4/5 years ago and it worked for some games but not all..... Been meaning to revisit for some time, even if it's just to get some use out of the poor neglected wii.

I thought it was always a soft mod?

See here how to do it https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/

Once you have installed the home brew channel look for something called Pimp My WII online, this will fetch all the updates and other things you need to make sure that your WII will play everything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:37 
Can you dig it?

Well, I go to try the wii, and after finally finding a wiimote (in a box under the house) I realise the sensor bar has packed up. After pulling it out from the tangle behind the TV unit I find the cats have cehwed through the cord. No matter, I can use the ceiling lights to at least get a pointer on screen.

Turns out the wii was still looking for the wifi network I had four-and-a-half years ago :S I really thought I'd used it since then, but it would seem not.

The homebrew channel is still there from when I messed about with pimp my wii some time ago so I thought I'd go straight for that, and it did an update when launched but now is sat there doing very little (there is what looks like a wifi symbol lit up on screen but not flickering). Will leave it a little while but can't be bothered to do much else tonight really

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:56 
Can you dig it?

Ooops, the wii should have an SD card in it for all this, I think. Fuck knows where I put the one that I used to do the softmod (probably formatted and used it for something else I guess).

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]