Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dect Phone
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:15 
Excellent Member

We had a old BT 4 handset Dect phone system at home, sound from the handsets wasn't great and when somebody called the landline they all rang and often woke our son up.

So I bought one of these

http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-kx-p ... =232330904

Its a single handset and base station with answering machine. Difference over the old one is that you join it to your wireless and then via an IOS or Android app you can add your smartphones as handset extensions.

Once done you can send mobile contacts to the handset and also make calls using your landline from the smartphone. There is also an intercom function from the handset to any smartphone you register as a handset.

Works really well as I always have my mobile on me and have set the alert to vibrate as well, got rid of 3 handsets plugged in around the house.

There is no internet pass through with this, so once you are out of reach of your home network you can't make calls. Also found that all devices have to be on the same SSID. I have a 5GHZ SSID at home for IOS devices and found that the phone joined the 2.4GHZ network, so I had issues joining mobiles if they weren't on the 2.4GHZ SSID.

Best price I have found for this is John Lewis, Amazon want £160 for it.

Post subject: Re: Dect Phone
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:18 
Bad Girl

This is relevant to my interests! Looking closer at this now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:21 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
This is relevant to my interests! Looking closer at this now.

There are some remarks from people on Amazon about all the instructions and the language on the phone being in German. This wasn't the case for me it was all English and very easy to set up. Just had to set the Alerts for the app on my wife's phone so it rang.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:40 
ugvm'er at heart...

Interesting. I wonder if it impacts mobile phone battery consumption though.

When we move (assuming I have reasonable mobile phone reception) we're not going to give our landline number to anyone, the only person who calls our landline, other than cold callers, is the mother-in-law.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:49 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
Interesting. I wonder if it impacts mobile phone battery consumption though.

When we move (assuming I have reasonable mobile phone reception) we're not going to give our landline number to anyone, the only person who calls our landline, other than cold callers, is the mother-in-law.

Just has a quick look and the app is the 2nd highest usage of battery after the lock screen.

I wanted to move to Skype for everything, but you are locked in to having to pay for a landline by BT and I do get free weekend and evening calls (which I never use) So I'm thinking now I can use the landline from the IPhone I might use this a bit more.

I don't think my landline has rung once in the last week!

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]