Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 589 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finish 52 Challenge 2015
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 18:44 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
1. The Evil Within (PS4).
2. Rogue Legacy (PS Vita & PS4).
3. Far Cry 4 (PS4)
4. Transistor (PS4)
5. Valiant Hearts (PS4).
6. Heir (Browser?)
7. COUNTER Spy (PS4).
8. Apothena (PS4)
9. Oddworld: New & Tasty (PS4).
10. Bloodborne (PS4).
11. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PS4).
12. Burn it Down (iOS).
13. The Evil Within: The Assignment DLC (PS4)
14. The Evil Within: The Consequence DLC (PS4).
15. Bayonetta 2 (WiiU).
16. The Tender Cut (PC).
17. Monsterbag (Vita).
18. Murasaki Baby (Vita).
19. Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
20. Resident Evil: Revelations (WiiU)
21. Infamous: First Light (PS4).
22. Towerfall: Ascension (PS4).
23. Betrayer (PC).
24. Thirty Flights of Loving (PC)
25. Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC)
26. The Walking Dead (eps 1-5) (PC).

27. Ori & The Blind Forest (PC)

Here's my review in the style of ACE Magazine.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 20:26 
UltraMod

1. Proteus (Vita) - finished the game
2. Desert Golfing (iOS) - played 1,000 holes
3. Heavy Metal Thunder (iOS) - finished story
4. Driveclub (PS4) - finished Tour with 175/225 stars, finished free DLC trophies
5. Peggle Classic (iOS) - finished Adventure Mode with 18m points
6. OlliOlli 2: Welcome to Olliwood (PS4) - completed all stages on Amateur
7. Daytona Rush (iOS) - unlocked all tiers, top on friends leaderboards for all tiers
8. Super Mega Baseball (PS4) - won the League Championship
9. Please, Don't Touch Anything (Mac) - 17/21 endings

I liked the idea of this, but some of the clues were way too cryptic for my brain. The music is excellent, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 21:18 
Gogmagog

1) Far Cry 4 - Fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 13:22 
Excellent Member

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
10. Xon episodes one and two (all that are available right now)
11. Republique episodes one, two and three (all that are available right now)
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
14. Hellraid: The Escape
15. Forever Lost: Episode 1
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
20. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
24. Valiant Hearts: The Great War
25. That Level Again
26. Helidroid 3D
27. Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssey New n Tasty
28. Mind: Path to Thalamus
29. Heir
30. Rivers of Alice
31. Ascent of Kings
32. Silly Sausage in Meat Land
33. Catastrophe Escape
34. Mystery of the Ancients: Curse of the Black Water
35. Random Heroes 3
36. Never Alone
37. Aaru's Awakening
38. Tiny Thief
39. Cabin Escape
40. Cryptic Caverns
41. Far Cry 4
42. The Mystery of the Crimson Manor
43. Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood
44. The Lost Fountain
45. Pettson's Inventions
46. Spoiler Alert
47. Stealth Bastard
48. Hohokum
49. Tiny Dangerous Dungeons
50. Shadow Blade
51. The Tender Cut
52. SURREALISTa
53. Nub's Adventure
54. Kraven Manor
55. Montague's Mount
56. Jazzpunk
57. That Level Again 2
58. NaissancE
59. Lifeless Planet
60. Shadowgun

61. Neverending Nightmares
62. The Moon Sliver
63. A Story About My Uncle
64. Outside World
65. Sword of Xolan: Fantastic hack and slash platformer for Android. Tight controls and a light exploration element to keep things interesting. Reminded me a lot of Devious Dungeon, albeit with a nicer art style, which is fine as DD was a great game as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 13:29 
Awesome
Yes

Bamba wrote:
<snip>
64. Outside World
65. Sword of Xolan: Fantastic hack and slash platformer for Android. Tight controls and a light exploration element to keep things interesting. Reminded me a lot of Devious Dungeon, albeit with a nicer art style, which is fine as DD was a great game as well.

You should totally wrap the first 52 in a spoiler tag now to save my poor mobile scrolly finger.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 13:33 
Excellent Member

Mr Russell wrote:
Bamba wrote:
<snip>
64. Outside World

You should totally wrap the first 52 in a spoiler tag now to save my poor mobile scrolly finger.

That's a really good idea, I've done the first 60 for the sake of a round number.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 13:38 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
25. That Level Again
26. Helidroid 3D
29. Heir
30. Rivers of Alice
31. Ascent of Kings
33. Catastrophe Escape
35. Random Heroes 3
36. Never Alone
37. Aaru's Awakening
38. Tiny Thief
39. Cabin Escape
40. Cryptic Caverns
41. Far Cry 4
44. The Lost Fountain
45. Pettson's Inventions
46. Spoiler Alert
47. Stealth Bastard
48. Hohokum
50. Shadow Blade
51. The Tender Cut
52. SURREALISTa
53. Nub's Adventure
54. Kraven Manor
55. Montague's Mount
56. Jazzpunk
57. That Level Again 2
58. NaissancE
59. Lifeless Planet
60. Shadowgun

62. The Moon Sliver
64. Outside World
65. Sword of Xolan
66. Adventures of Poco Eco: You play as the titular Poco Eco who's tasked with returning music to the odd world he lives in. The gameplay consists generally of just tapping the ground to direct Poco around the place and while there are buttons and platforms to be manipulated there's no challenge at all because you just follow where your 'helper' fairy thing leads. It is very pretty--with no small amount of artistic debt owed to Monument Valley as always--although the view is feels a bit too zoomed in to properly appreciate the look of the thing. The music is lovely of course, as you'd expect from a game about sound. If you treat is as just something to be experienced rather than actively played it's very nice, and it's pretty short so doesn't outstay it's welcome at all

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 13:56 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
25. That Level Again
26. Helidroid 3D
29. Heir
30. Rivers of Alice
31. Ascent of Kings
33. Catastrophe Escape
35. Random Heroes 3
36. Never Alone
37. Aaru's Awakening
38. Tiny Thief
39. Cabin Escape
40. Cryptic Caverns
41. Far Cry 4
44. The Lost Fountain
45. Pettson's Inventions
46. Spoiler Alert
47. Stealth Bastard
48. Hohokum
50. Shadow Blade
51. The Tender Cut
52. SURREALISTa
53. Nub's Adventure
54. Kraven Manor
55. Montague's Mount
56. Jazzpunk
57. That Level Again 2
58. NaissancE
59. Lifeless Planet
60. Shadowgun

62. The Moon Sliver
64. Outside World
65. Sword of Xolan
66. Adventures of Poco Eco
67. Puzzle House: Mystery Rising: Desperately wants to be The Room and, surprisingly, mostly succeeds. It's not as slick as The Room (though what in this world is?) and the beginning section is a bit confusing but once you get rolling it all works very well and is excellent fun. Properly grabbed me for the time it took to complete and hopefully there's a sequel in the works.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 16:52 
Excellent Member

Some updating:

14. Deponia - Not Daedalic's finest hour. Nice visuals but otherwise plain average point and click adventure.

15. The Fall - Pretty good sci fi adventure. Great story and atmosphere.

16. 1954 Alcatraz - Mediocre point and click adventure. Don't bother

17. Pillars of Eternity - Don't believe the hype. It's not that good, and it certainly isn't half as good as any of the infinity engine games.

18. The Last Door - Pretty interesting take on the adventure genre. Low-fi visuals and amazing soundtrack and lovecraftian atmosphere.

19. The Inner World - Very likable point and click adventure. Quite conservative but very good.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 15:17 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
25. That Level Again
26. Helidroid 3D
29. Heir
30. Rivers of Alice
31. Ascent of Kings
33. Catastrophe Escape
35. Random Heroes 3
36. Never Alone
37. Aaru's Awakening
38. Tiny Thief
39. Cabin Escape
40. Cryptic Caverns
41. Far Cry 4
44. The Lost Fountain
45. Pettson's Inventions
46. Spoiler Alert
47. Stealth Bastard
48. Hohokum
50. Shadow Blade
51. The Tender Cut
52. SURREALISTa
53. Nub's Adventure
54. Kraven Manor
55. Montague's Mount
56. Jazzpunk
57. That Level Again 2
58. NaissancE
59. Lifeless Planet
60. Shadowgun

62. The Moon Sliver
64. Outside World
65. Sword of Xolan
67. Puzzle House: Mystery Rising
68. Lifeline: Ostensibly a 'chose your own adventure' type of thing done purely in text. A spaceship crashes on a distant moon and one of the crew manages to contact you for help and advice. The entire thing then plays out as a load of text squirts from the scientist in question, like a text message conversation, with periodic questions that allow you to guide his actions.

The USP here is that it doesn't (initially) allow you to just batter through the whole scenario but actually adds forced pauses at appropriate times. So, for example, at the end of the first day your guy has the choice of bedding down either in a relatively exposed section of the wrecked ship or settling down near the intact reactor. One choice means a cold night whereas the other offers warmth but possible radiation issues. You make your choice and then he goes silent while 'sleeping' and you only find out hours later whether he survives or not. This is a surprisingly immersive technique which has your choices playing on your mind while you wait for the next update and brings the whole thing to life in a weird way.

The dialogue is well written and the story itself is engaging and interesting. Well, it falls apart a bit at the end on the branch I landed on on but overall I was satisfied with it. The only annoying thing is that, after you hit an end point for the first time, you can go back and pick the alternative for any decision you made and the story carries on from there; you can even turn on a 'fast mode' so everything flows through instantly and you're not made to wait through stuff you've seen before. I tried doing that so I could play for a better ending but some of the decisions I changed didn't seem to carry through. As a minor and non spoilery example, my guy fucked up his ankle at one point so I replayed it and changed the decision that led to that. Later on though he's still moaning about his buggered ankle even though he never ended up hurting it the second time round. This sucked away my desire to replay the game which would've been a big factor in it's favour.

Generally I really enjoyed it though and as an experience it's pretty unique so well worth trying.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 15:30 
I forgot about this - how vain

Dr Lave wrote:
Ooh, I'll try and do this all year this time (yeah, right).

1. Nidhogg Vita/PS4 - the greatest fighting game since bushido blade. Essential same room multiplayer. Even really enjoyed the, very short, single player.
2. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. - PS4 - Short, sweet campaign and the best in years. The first since MW with a coherent plot, and the robosuits really freshen it up. But the end is a bit of a squib. Enjoyable fluff. (it appears to be Xmas tradition that the wife gets a copy - well done Activision).
3. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze - WiiU such a great game. Controls wonderfully, and so differently to mario. The lion king level is a musical masterpiece. Rayman legends gets so much love due to its graphics, but give me something that controls as well as this any day.
4. Game of Thrones: Episode 1 - PS4 - Not bad at all. Never really got on with Telltale's Walking dead game, but I think that is possibly because I got the whole season at once. Playing this for a couple of hours every other month seems better somehow. Very enjoyable way to 'play an episode'. Excited to find out my partners choices when she plays it as I think she will be appalled at some of my choices.
5. Final Fantasy X - Vita The first time I've finished a FF game since VII at release. I thought JRPGs were dead to me. Full of grind and random battles and filler, but in a portable format I loved this. Would never have completed it on a couch, but it's made the last month of commuting a blast. Ignored every side quest and went straight down the path, so was constantly a somewhat low level, which made the combat fascinating, rather than the typically. Hammer-standard-attack-until-you-win style of others. Fell apart at the 3rd to last boss when I had to do X damage in 15 or so turns, and that was impossible with my skill set, so I had to grind to level a character for 2 hours, and then they had an attack that made the rest of the battles boringly easy. Looking forward to X-2.
6. Kick and Fennick - Vita - I've said it all over the place, but this is such a surprising delight. A genuinely novel and new 2D platformer. Game of the Year contender. I'll be wittering about this all year. Fantastic. As I said in the PS+ thread, there is something really primal and entertaining about parabolas. Must be evolution getting us to enjoy chucking rocks at mammoths. Or the use of urinals. Or something. But whatever the reason, a 2D platformer based on the recoil from a sniper rifle sending you flying in beautiful parabolas across the map is just superbly enjoyable to play. Binged and completed it over 3 days. Didn't outstay it's welcome, and bar a tiny dip in the middle where there is too much of a focus on timing puzzles, it fires on all cylinders throughout.
7. The Swapper - PS4/Vita if anything this year has proven it's that 2D platformers are such a vibrant platform for different experiences. Wonderfully explores it's central idea, and the mechanisms tie so well with its, actually great, plot. Genuinely good scifi. Which is rare in any format outside books. Highly recommended.
8. GoT: Episode 2 - PS4 yep, I guess this will count as six games over the year. Treaded water, slightly, and I'm hesitant about the importance of our decisions. But it's interesting how different me and my partners choices were.
9. BoxBoy - 3DS - Played it for 7.5 hrs. It cost about £4.50 - 5.50? And every tiny level was incredibly entertaining. I recommend it very highly. it's all about making squares.
10. Gunvolt - 3DS - the nes de-make that comes free with the 'real' game, or available for a couple of quid. Very slight, but fun enough. Doesn't set the world on fire.
11. Knights of the Round - Arcade, via PSP Capcom Collection, on a PS Vita - looks pretty, but absolutely mindless. A real example of how business models can make a game truly terrible (cf. F2P).
12. Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo - Vita, via PSP Capcom Puzzle Collection - on sale for £1.60. Bargain. and great fun, but I've yet to really click to why it's the tetris beater people claim. It must be so much better in multiplayer than the single player experience.
13. Kirby: Triple Deluxe - 3DS Easy as pish. But lovely to look at and stunning in 3D. A joy to play, but so easy it may put people off. (actually finished this before number 11, but forgot to post it).

14. New Super Mario Bros 2 - Special Edition - 3DS Another much maligned Mario games. By this time people had become bored of the graphical style and really disliked it. The idea that you had to grind a million coins made people hate it, but throwing that idea out of the window and focusing on the 3 coins per level gives you a wonderful, wonderful game. I've really enjoyed it but it's nowhere near the heights of NSMB:U or the original DS title.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 18:13 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
25. That Level Again
26. Helidroid 3D
29. Heir
30. Rivers of Alice
31. Ascent of Kings
33. Catastrophe Escape
35. Random Heroes 3
36. Never Alone
37. Aaru's Awakening
38. Tiny Thief
39. Cabin Escape
40. Cryptic Caverns
41. Far Cry 4
44. The Lost Fountain
45. Pettson's Inventions
46. Spoiler Alert
47. Stealth Bastard
48. Hohokum
50. Shadow Blade
51. The Tender Cut
52. SURREALISTa
53. Nub's Adventure
54. Kraven Manor
55. Montague's Mount
56. Jazzpunk
57. That Level Again 2
58. NaissancE
59. Lifeless Planet
60. Shadowgun

62. The Moon Sliver
64. Outside World
65. Sword of Xolan
68. Lifeline
69. Gravity Duck + City DLC: An Android platformer wherein you control the titular duck by inverting gravity; so it's basically VVVVVV but split into bite sized levels rather than one sprawling game. And I do mean bite sized as each level is completed in a matter of seconds, once you've cracked the method of course. Not the most challenging game in the world but excellent fun while it lasts.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 22:07 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
25. That Level Again
26. Helidroid 3D
29. Heir
30. Rivers of Alice
31. Ascent of Kings
33. Catastrophe Escape
35. Random Heroes 3
36. Never Alone
37. Aaru's Awakening
38. Tiny Thief
39. Cabin Escape
40. Cryptic Caverns
41. Far Cry 4
44. The Lost Fountain
45. Pettson's Inventions
46. Spoiler Alert
47. Stealth Bastard
48. Hohokum
50. Shadow Blade
51. The Tender Cut
52. SURREALISTa
53. Nub's Adventure
54. Kraven Manor
55. Montague's Mount
56. Jazzpunk
57. That Level Again 2
58. NaissancE
59. Lifeless Planet
60. Shadowgun

62. The Moon Sliver
64. Outside World
65. Sword of Xolan
68. Lifeline
69. Gravity Duck + City DLC
70. Arkham Knight: I'll write some stuff about it later in the appropriate thread. To sum up though, it's a bit patchy in that some of the things it does are awesome and some are a bit annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 23:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim... wrote:
1. Shadow Complex

2. Counterspy

A little Vita (and PS3+) game which is a tiny bit like Shadow Complex except you're a spy and you sneaky-sneak (or try to). It's presented really nicely and it's pretty fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 0:02 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
3. Far Cry 4 (PS4)
4. Transistor (PS4)
5. Valiant Hearts (PS4).
6. Heir (Browser?)
7. COUNTER Spy (PS4).
8. Apothena (PS4)
10. Bloodborne (PS4).
12. Burn it Down (iOS).
15. Bayonetta 2 (WiiU).
16. The Tender Cut (PC).
17. Monsterbag (Vita).
23. Betrayer (PC).

28. Dead Rising 3 (PC).

It's alright but it's a backwards step for the series.

Dark Souls doesn't have an easy mode. Dark Souls doesn't have an easy mode. Dark Souls doesn't have an easy mode. Say it with me "Dark Souls doesn't have an easy mode."

29. Entwined (PS4).

Why does this game exist? I don't know what it's about or why I should care. It left me cold. And it's dreadfully boring too since 9 stages of the same shit - often with frustrating consequences - is too much. You do the same boring crap (hitting gates) and then turn into a dragon. And the dragon isn't even fun to fly around. And it's over far too quickly. The dragon bit. Not the game, by the way, that might last 2 hours and that's still far too fucking long.

Then it ends in such an ostentatious way that the game is virtually fucking nudging you hard in the ribs with a bony elbow whilst winking at you. "See that? Aye, Aye, AYE? AYE!?" Yes, I fucking saw it and no it didn't make any fucking sense at all. I just played two hours of fish and bird and then fish and bird had sex and made dragon and dragon went right up his own gaping arse and out popped a fucking fish and a bird. NOW FUCK OFF.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:49 
Paws for thought

Saturnalian wrote:
Dark Souls doesn't have an easy mode. Dark Souls doesn't have an easy mode. Dark Souls doesn't have an easy mode. Say it with me "Dark Souls doesn't have an easy mode."

Yeah it does. It's called "Coop"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:42 
Unpossible!

Mr Dave wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Yeah it does. It's called "Coop"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Also they patched it to make it easier, so actually "they took away Dark Souls' hard mode".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:12 
Paws for thought

I never got assaulted by hordes of angry dragon arses. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:15 
Bad Girl

I'm a pre-patch completionist.

And patching a game isn't adding or subtracting modes of playing the game - the patch altered the one core experience. But you knew that cause you are a silly bum.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

So you're saying "don't give people the choice".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:39 
Bad Girl

Yup.

It's obvious when you look at lots of the highly regarded classic games - they have a single core experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Such as? Plenty of games have selectable difficulty.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:48 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
Yup.

It's obvious when you look at lots of the highly regarded classic games - they have a single core experience.

Unless you have access to an alternate universe where those same games had different modes added and were somehow ruined then your conclusion here is somewhat meaningless.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:28 
Bad Girl

Grim... wrote:
Such as? Plenty of games have selectable difficulty.

Well, in your case, as far as I'm aware, Final Fantasy VII.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:31 
Bad Girl

In my case, Shadow of the Collosus, Dark Souls, The Last Ninja, Hitman 2 (I think).

For others, the Zelda game or games that everyone loves.

EDIT: Resident Evil 4 only has one difficulty to start with. That first play through is the same for everyone.

And so on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 15:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

So Quake 2 is bad? Or Far Cry 4? Or Shadow Complex? Or (okay, so there's thousands)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 15:57 
Bad Girl

Grim... wrote:
So Quake 2 is bad? Or Far Cry 4? Or Shadow Complex? Or (okay, so there's thousands)

No, you nutter.

Anyway, those aren't highly regarded classics (apart from Quake 2 perhaps, but Quake is always thought of as "the" classic").

Look, Dead Rising is considered a classic in some camps because it had a clear vision and concentrated on providing a single experience to the best of its ability. Dead Rising 3 is very much a diluted experience and selectible difficulty is part of the problem. They want to widen the user base and they do this at the expense of the core game.

Look at the latest Hitman games too - variable difficulty levels because they couldn't decide how hard or how easy they wanted to make the game so you get a muddled and frustrating experience.

Sure, there's a place for different difficulty levels in some games but too much choice means that invariably players make bad choices about how they play those games.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:12 
Excellent Member

So, basically in your opinion selectable difficulties are bad?

That makes no sense, specially after you mentioned Zelda in which the 3d games suffer a lot because they're so easy. I don't think i ever died in Wind Waker or Twilight Princess. Also for newer Mario games. I don't care if game critics jerk off all over nintendo games, but i'd rather take Far Cry 3 over any of those nintendo games.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 13:31 

Quake also had difficulty levels to choose between.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 13:34 

So did Doom for that matter, and that has to be the best video game ever made.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 14:39 
Paws for thought

lasermink wrote:

Unless you play it on the easier difficulties.

And so we come full circle.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 14:52 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
lasermink wrote:

Unless you play it on the easier difficulties.

And so we come full circle.

This was my first argument on Beex! Dimrill claimed, in his own special way, that playing any game on easier difficulties meant you somehow weren't doing it right. Good to see someone carrying on that legacy of talking utter balls.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 17:35 
Bad Girl

RuySan wrote:
So, basically in your opinion selectable difficulties are bad?

No.

Just "sometimes", like with Dead Rising 3.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 17:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

But the timer made me despise DR 1&2, so it surely suits different people differently, meaning that making it an option is a good choice?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 17:53 
Bad Girl

Nowt wrong with the timer. It added a dynamic and tension to a game that might otherwise lack any.

Im just trying to imagine what would happen if you had no timer: you end up faffing around, get bored of faffing around, and then finish every side quest and main mission and discover that dragging 20-30 NPC's from one area back to the start is actually, very fucking boring.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:52 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
25. That Level Again
26. Helidroid 3D
29. Heir
30. Rivers of Alice
31. Ascent of Kings
33. Catastrophe Escape
35. Random Heroes 3
36. Never Alone
37. Aaru's Awakening
38. Tiny Thief
39. Cabin Escape
40. Cryptic Caverns
41. Far Cry 4
44. The Lost Fountain
45. Pettson's Inventions
46. Spoiler Alert
47. Stealth Bastard
48. Hohokum
50. Shadow Blade
51. The Tender Cut
52. SURREALISTa
53. Nub's Adventure
54. Kraven Manor
55. Montague's Mount
56. Jazzpunk
57. That Level Again 2
58. NaissancE
59. Lifeless Planet
60. Shadowgun

62. The Moon Sliver
64. Outside World
65. Sword of Xolan
68. Lifeline
70. Arkham Knight
71. Forever Lost: Episode 2: another Myst-like for Android and a good one. Decent length and generally logical puzzles just like the first game. The third and final part has just been released so I might just pile straight into it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 0:50 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
But the timer made me despise DR 1&2, so it surely suits different people differently, meaning that making it an option is a good choice?

The gatekeepers of gaming have spoken. Only those with infinite time and patience should be able to enjoy them.

It reminds me of Perkies getting irate about Turn 10 adding the rewind function in Forza. Just don't use it - how does it affect your enjoyment of the game?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 15:07 

1. Crysis (PC)
  2. Octodad (PC)
  3. Crysis Warhead (PC)
  4. Tomb Raider: Anniversary (PC)
  5. The Evil Within (PC)
  6. Torchlight (PC)
  7. Mass Effect (PC)
  8. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PC)
  9. Tomb Raider: Underworld (PC)
  10. Monument Valley (Android)
  11. Impossible Mission (Commodore 64)
  12. The Tender Cut (PC)
  13. Far Cry 3 (PC)
  14. LIMBO (PC)

I got stuck on the Xbox 360 version a long time ago, and never got back to it. As it turns out, I was only a couple of screens away from the end. All I had to do was activate something I didn't realize could be activated in order to move on to the final section. Amazing what such a little thing as an extra checkpoint can do to nudge you in the right direction by preventing you from overthinking things.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 19:31 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
25. That Level Again
26. Helidroid 3D
29. Heir
30. Rivers of Alice
31. Ascent of Kings
33. Catastrophe Escape
35. Random Heroes 3
36. Never Alone
37. Aaru's Awakening
38. Tiny Thief
39. Cabin Escape
40. Cryptic Caverns
41. Far Cry 4
44. The Lost Fountain
45. Pettson's Inventions
46. Spoiler Alert
47. Stealth Bastard
48. Hohokum
50. Shadow Blade
51. The Tender Cut
52. SURREALISTa
53. Nub's Adventure
54. Kraven Manor
55. Montague's Mount
56. Jazzpunk
57. That Level Again 2
58. NaissancE
59. Lifeless Planet
60. Shadowgun

62. The Moon Sliver
64. Outside World
65. Sword of Xolan
68. Lifeline
70. Arkham Knight
71. Forever Lost: Episode 2
72. Sunset: The latest and, if their recent tantrum is to be believed, the final Tales of Tales game which has you playing a sort of housemaid for an important figure in the political landscape of a South American country teetering on revolution. You've got an in-game hour each day to spend in your boss's house either carrying out the list of chores he leaves or just doing your own thing; with other optional tasks to be discovered as you explore the house. The plot of the revolution plays out via a combination of your character's musing and notes that you and your employer leave for each other. The latter allow you to develop a relationship with the unseen Ortega and depending on the responses you choose this can be romantic in nature. So, a novel idea that's mostly well implemented but it suffers from ToT's usual refusal to explain themselves very well. It took me a while to even realise that most of the actions have two different variations you can choose from because getting the cursor to switch between the options is often a total fucking pain in the arse. Similarly, you can apparently encourage you character to keep a diary to flesh out the plot if you sit in a particular chair which I don't think was ever explained (or, if it was, I was able to miss it entirely) and I only even realised when poking around in the options after finishing the game. The visuals and audio are general very good, though there's hitches in the performance that affected me quite badly. If you like this kind of indie weirdness in general, and you have a high tolerance for pretension, then this is worth looking at but it's definitely a very flawed thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 16:25 
UltraMod

4. Driveclub (PS4) - finished Tour with 175/225 stars, finished free DLC trophies
7. Daytona Rush (iOS) - unlocked all tiers, top on friends leaderboards for all tiers
10. Rocket League (PS4) - finished a full 27-game season on Pro

See the RL thread for my thoughts on the game. Really struggling this year as I seem to be playing games with no end in sight!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 0:05 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
3. Far Cry 4 (PS4)
4. Transistor (PS4)
5. Valiant Hearts (PS4).
6. Heir (Browser?)
7. COUNTER Spy (PS4).
8. Apothena (PS4)
10. Bloodborne (PS4).
12. Burn it Down (iOS).
15. Bayonetta 2 (WiiU).
16. The Tender Cut (PC).
17. Monsterbag (Vita).
23. Betrayer (PC).
28. Dead Rising 3 (PC).
29. Entwined (PS4).

3.0. S.T.A.L.K.E.R (P.C).

I.t.s. p.r.e.t.t.y. g.o.o.d. e.v.e.n. t.h.o.u.g.h i.t.s. o.l.d. l.i.k.e. m.e.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:40 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Saturnalian wrote:

EDIT: Resident Evil 4 only has one difficulty to start with. That first play through is the same for everyone.

Not entirely true. Resident Evil 4 is really clever in that it will adjust the difficulty of the game as you play it, depending on how good you are.

There's some speed run videos where they'll purposely mess up a QTE to make the next section easier to get through.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:29 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Oh yeah, 21 years, 1 month, 1 week and 1 day after it was released... I've finally completed Donkey Kong on the Gameboy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 14:08 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
25. That Level Again
26. Helidroid 3D
29. Heir
30. Rivers of Alice
31. Ascent of Kings
33. Catastrophe Escape
35. Random Heroes 3
36. Never Alone
37. Aaru's Awakening
38. Tiny Thief
39. Cabin Escape
40. Cryptic Caverns
41. Far Cry 4
44. The Lost Fountain
45. Pettson's Inventions
46. Spoiler Alert
47. Stealth Bastard
48. Hohokum
50. Shadow Blade
51. The Tender Cut
52. SURREALISTa
53. Nub's Adventure
54. Kraven Manor
55. Montague's Mount
56. Jazzpunk
57. That Level Again 2
58. NaissancE
59. Lifeless Planet
60. Shadowgun

62. The Moon Sliver
64. Outside World
65. Sword of Xolan
68. Lifeline
70. Arkham Knight
72. Sunset
73. Forever Lost: Episode 3: bigger and more sprawling than the previous episodes but, unfortunately, also much less coherent with less logical puzzles and by far the weakest instalment of the trilogy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 21:19 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
3. Far Cry 4 (PS4)
4. Transistor (PS4)
5. Valiant Hearts (PS4).
6. Heir (Browser?)
7. COUNTER Spy (PS4).
8. Apothena (PS4)
10. Bloodborne (PS4).
12. Burn it Down (iOS).
15. Bayonetta 2 (WiiU).
16. The Tender Cut (PC).
17. Monsterbag (Vita).
23. Betrayer (PC).
28. Dead Rising 3 (PC).
29. Entwined (PS4).
30. S.T.A.L.K.E.R (PC).

31. The Fall (PC)

Ok, with a bittersweet ending. A mildly interesting old skool point & click adventure that's a distraction for a couple of hours.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 19:33 
UltraMod

10. Rocket League (PS4) - finished a full 27-game season on Pro
11. The Way of Life (Mac) - completed the game

A very brief free game on Steam that shows the different perception of crossing the road as a child, an adult and an old man. Looks nice with some good music. Glad I didn't pay for it though, as it's super short.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 13:03 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
25. That Level Again
26. Helidroid 3D
29. Heir
30. Rivers of Alice
31. Ascent of Kings
33. Catastrophe Escape
35. Random Heroes 3
36. Never Alone
37. Aaru's Awakening
38. Tiny Thief
39. Cabin Escape
40. Cryptic Caverns
41. Far Cry 4
44. The Lost Fountain
45. Pettson's Inventions
46. Spoiler Alert
47. Stealth Bastard
48. Hohokum
50. Shadow Blade
51. The Tender Cut
52. SURREALISTa
53. Nub's Adventure
54. Kraven Manor
55. Montague's Mount
56. Jazzpunk
57. That Level Again 2
58. NaissancE
59. Lifeless Planet
60. Shadowgun

62. The Moon Sliver
64. Outside World
65. Sword of Xolan
68. Lifeline
70. Arkham Knight
72. Sunset
73. Forever Lost: Episode 3
74. Duke Dashington: a twitch based puzzler for Android in which you guide the titular explorer Duke through the series of room that comprise each of three ancient temples. Each room gives you only ten seconds to get through the traps and whatnot that make up the level using Duke's ability to quickly dash, jump or fall in one direction until he hits a solid object. When dashing you can change direction at will so each room is basically a frantic attempt to navigate your way through before the time runs out or something kills you. Short, free and good fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 13:17 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
25. That Level Again
26. Helidroid 3D
29. Heir
30. Rivers of Alice
31. Ascent of Kings
33. Catastrophe Escape
35. Random Heroes 3
36. Never Alone
37. Aaru's Awakening
38. Tiny Thief
39. Cabin Escape
40. Cryptic Caverns
41. Far Cry 4
44. The Lost Fountain
45. Pettson's Inventions
46. Spoiler Alert
47. Stealth Bastard
48. Hohokum
50. Shadow Blade
51. The Tender Cut
52. SURREALISTa
53. Nub's Adventure
54. Kraven Manor
55. Montague's Mount
56. Jazzpunk
57. That Level Again 2
58. NaissancE
59. Lifeless Planet
60. Shadowgun
62. The Moon Sliver
64. Outside World
65. Sword of Xolan
68. Lifeline
70. Arkham Knight

72. Sunset
73. Forever Lost: Episode 3
74. Duke Dashington
75. Persist: very short Android platformer where, as you progress, your character and it's abilities are stripped down by an unknown entity from whom you're apparently seeking forgiveness. Nice idea and execution.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 14:35 

1. Crysis (PC)
  2. Octodad (PC)
  3. Crysis Warhead (PC)
  4. Tomb Raider: Anniversary (PC)
  5. The Evil Within (PC)
  6. Torchlight (PC)
  7. Mass Effect (PC)
  8. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PC)
  9. Tomb Raider: Underworld (PC)
  10. Monument Valley (Android)
  11. Impossible Mission (Commodore 64)
  12. The Tender Cut (PC)
  13. Far Cry 3 (PC)
  14. LIMBO (PC)
  15. Fallout 3 (PC)

I was always very skeptical of this game despite all the raving, so I put off playing it until now. Maybe because I hated Fallout 2, or maybe I never really believed Bethesda could do the original game justice. Well I was wrong, wasn't I? My only real complaint is that it's a bit easy, even on hard. I ended up practically drowning in ammo and stimpacks. It also does get a little bit repetitive at times, especially if you feel a need to search everything, like me. I didn't do half the optional stuff, and I don't think I'll bother with it.

This is my first Bethesda game too. I tried Morrowind a long time ago, because I got it for free with some graphics card, and it didn't do anything for me. I am definitely going to try Skyrim now, and of course New Vegas.

Reply to topic  [ 589 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next