2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
10. Xon episodes one and two (all that are available right now)
11. Republique episodes one, two and three (all that are available right now)
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
14. Hellraid: The Escape
15. Forever Lost: Episode 1

Post subject: Re: Finish 52 Challenge 2015
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:27 
I forgot about this - how vain

Dr Lave wrote:
Ooh, I'll try and do this all year this time (yeah, right).

1. Nidhogg Vita/PS4 - the greatest fighting game since bushido blade. Essential same room multiplayer. Even really enjoyed the, very short, single player.
2. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. - PS4 - Short, sweet campaign and the best in years. The first since MW with a coherent plot, and the robosuits really freshen it up. But the end is a bit of a squib. Enjoyable fluff. (it appears to be Xmas tradition that the wife gets a copy - well done Activision).
3. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze - WiiU such a great game. Controls wonderfully, and so differently to mario. The lion king level is a musical masterpiece. Rayman legends gets so much love due to its graphics, but give me something that controls as well as this any day.
4. Game of Thrones: Episode 1 - PS4 - Not bad at all. Never really got on with Telltale's Walking dead game, but I think that is possibly because I got the whole season at once. Playing this for a couple of hours every other month seems better somehow. Very enjoyable way to 'play an episode'. Excited to find out my partners choices when she plays it as I think she will be appalled at some of my choices.
5. Final Fantasy X - Vita The first time I've finished a FF game since VII at release. I thought JRPGs were dead to me. Full of grind and random battles and filler, but in a portable format I loved this. Would never have completed it on a couch, but it's made the last month of commuting a blast. Ignored every side quest and went straight down the path, so was constantly a somewhat low level, which made the combat fascinating, rather than the typically. Hammer-standard-attack-until-you-win style of others. Fell apart at the 3rd to last boss when I had to do X damage in 15 or so turns, and that was impossible with my skill set, so I had to grind to level a character for 2 hours, and then they had an attack that made the rest of the battles boringly easy. Looking forward to X-2.

6. Kick and Fennick - Vita - I've said it all over the place, but this is such a surprising delight. A genuinely novel and new 2D platformer. Game of the Year contender. I'll be wittering about this all year. Fantastic. As I said in the PS+ thread, there is something really primal and entertaining about parabolas. Must be evolution getting us to enjoy chucking rocks at mammoths. Or the use of urinals. Or something. But whatever the reason, a 2D platformer based on the recoil from a sniper rifle sending you flying in beautiful parabolas across the map is just superbly enjoyable to play. Binged and completed it over 3 days. Didn't outstay it's welcome, and bar a tiny dip in the middle where there is too much of a focus on timing puzzles, it fires on all cylinders throughout.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 22:10 
Excellent Member

1. The Book of Unwritten tales
2. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.
3. Trine 2
4. The Banner Saga – Probably one of the best looking games I've ever played. I wish these guys could make an animated full length film, it’s just gorgeous. The game is a CYOA book mixed with a tactics game, and both are very well done. The tactics part has every elegant and clean mechanics, but I wish there were a bit more variety in the battles. It was still extremely enjoyable, and some extra appreciation must go to the fantastic soundtrack.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:33 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

1. Wolfenstein: The new order. It was good in a "hold your hand all the way through" kind of way.
2. Fruit Ninja: I'm claiming this as I've got all the achievements on my phone.
3. Shark Dash: Same with this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 17:21 

Dr Lave wrote:

1. Nidhogg Vita/PS4 - the greatest fighting game since bushido blade. Essential same room multiplayer. Even really enjoyed the, very short, single player.
2. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. - PS4 - Short, sweet campaign and the best in years. The first since MW with a coherent plot, and the robosuits really freshen it up. But the end is a bit of a squib. Enjoyable fluff. (it appears to be Xmas tradition that the wife gets a copy - well done Activision).
3. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze - WiiU such a great game. Controls wonderfully, and so differently to mario. The lion king level is a musical masterpiece. Rayman legends gets so much love due to its graphics, but give me something that controls as well as this any day.
4. Game of Thrones: Episode 1 - PS4 - Not bad at all. Never really got on with Telltale's Walking dead game, but I think that is possibly because I got the whole season at once. Playing this for a couple of hours every other month seems better somehow. Very enjoyable way to 'play an episode'. Excited to find out my partners choices when she plays it as I think she will be appalled at some of my choices.
5. Final Fantasy X - Vita The first time I've finished a FF game since VII at release. I thought JRPGs were dead to me. Full of grind and random battles and filler, but in a portable format I loved this. Would never have completed it on a couch, but it's made the last month of commuting a blast. Ignored every side quest and went straight down the path, so was constantly a somewhat low level, which made the combat fascinating, rather than the typically. Hammer-standard-attack-until-you-win style of others. Fell apart at the 3rd to last boss when I had to do X damage in 15 or so turns, and that was impossible with my skill set, so I had to grind to level a character for 2 hours, and then they had an attack that made the rest of the battles boringly easy. Looking forward to X-2.
6. Kick and Fennick - Vita - I've said it all over the place, but this is such a surprising delight. A genuinely novel and new 2D platformer. Game of the Year contender. I'll be wittering about this all year. Fantastic. As I said in the PS+ thread, there is something really primal and entertaining about parabolas. Must be evolution getting us to enjoy chucking rocks at mammoths. Or the use of urinals. Or something. But whatever the reason, a 2D platformer based on the recoil from a sniper rifle sending you flying in beautiful parabolas across the map is just superbly enjoyable to play. Binged and completed it over 3 days. Didn't outstay it's welcome, and bar a tiny dip in the middle where there is too much of a focus on timing puzzles, it fires on all cylinders throughout.

7. The Swapper - PS4/Vita if anything this year has proven it's that 2D platformers are such a vibrant platform for different experiences. Wonderfully explores it's central idea, and the mechanisms tie so well with its, actually great, plot. Genuinely good scifi. Which is rare in any format outside books. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:32 
Excellent Member

1. The Book of Unwritten tales
2. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.
3. Trine 2
4. The Banner Saga
5. Shadowrun Returns – This game doesn’t do anything wrong, but on the other hand it also doesn’t do anything exciting. For the first couple of hours the story is interesting enough to make us keep going, but I started to get bored somewhere along the 5 hour mark. The game is too linear, the world is too static and the fights are boring. In the end, I had to force myself to finish it, only because I knew the game wasn’t too long.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 14:30 
Awesome
Yes

1) Broken Sword 2 (iOS)
2) Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies (iOS) - This was pretty good as Phoenix Wright games go. It's got all fancy video and voiceover cut scenes now, and all the courtroom and investigation settings are animated and fancy, rather than being static images. You get one case included, and then it's around £13 for around all the DLC, but they're all worth it. Do recommend.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 16:34 

Dr Lave wrote:

7. The Swapper - PS4/Vita if anything this year has proven it's that 2D platformers are such a vibrant platform for different experiences. Wonderfully explores it's central idea, and the mechanisms tie so well with its, actually great, plot. Genuinely good scifi. Which is rare in any format outside books. Highly recommended.

8. GoT: Episode 2 - PS4 yep, I guess this will count as six games over the year. Treaded water, slightly, and I'm hesitant about the importance of our decisions. But it's interesting how different me and my partners choices were.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 17:25 
Time Out for Fun

1. The Wolf Among Us (PS4)
2. Assassins Creed Unity (PS4)
3. Assassins Creed Unity: Dead Kings DLC (PS4)
4. Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (PS4) My favourite online multi-player FPS game in ages, put in a ridiculous amount of time on it. Feel like I can tick it off as I've got each character up to level 10 and I've got all the different types of characters bar the Legend of the Lawn ones.
5. Championship Manager 2001/2001 (PC) Played 10 seasons with the updated data for this season. Firstly I was Newcastle manager, winning everything under the sun and creating a team that good, even Stuart Pearce could win everything when he took over. Decided to take over Notts County, who were battling against relegation of Division 2 and took them to winning the Premiership, almost won all 4 main cups in the last season but lost the Champions League in the final, I've had my fill now.
6. Rogue Legacy (PS4) Love this game, even though it's grindy it doesn't feel like it when I'm playing it. Completed the story once and I am still playing through a new game+.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 23:10 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:12 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5

You're on course for 130+ this year!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 14:22 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 17:47 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:57 
UltraMod

You're not even giving a cursory description of the games these days - I don't think you're playing them at all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 13:32 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
You're not even giving a cursory description of the games these days - I don't think you're playing them at all.

That's a fair point, reading people's descriptions and opinions on games as they finish them is what made last year's thread interesting. I'll try and make time to write some stuff up for what I've done so far.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 17:11 
Excellent Member

Adding comments for more recent games.

1. The Room (Android)
2. The Room 2 (Android)
3. Monument Valley (Android)
4. The Unfinished Swan (PS4)
5. Flower (PS4)
6. Age of Zombies (Android)
7. P.T. (PS4)
8. Thomas Was Alone (Android)
9. Space Expedition (Android): Really nice little Android platformer with some Metroidvania-lite gameplay touches and lovely pixely aesthetic. Not the hardest game in the world but satisfying to work through and comes recommended.
10. Xon (Android) episodes one and two (all that are available right now): very pretty Myst-y puzzler for Android. I'm not always a fan of these types of games but the world it's set in is oddly atmospheric for being so simple and I found the puzzles very logical. There's just enough feedback and clues hidden in the setting to lead you in the right direction but you still feel smart when you figure out the various solutions. It's free to try so well worth a shot if you like these types of game.
11. Republique episodes one, two and three (all that are available right now) (Android): interesting and highly produced stealth 'em up for Android. The USP here is that you don't control the protagonist directly but inhabit the surveillance system in the game world and use the view from the various cameras to guide the girl out of trouble. It does get a bit repetitive at times and you can be surprised by a guard at a crucial point sometimes but getting caught just sends you to the nearest detention cell which is never far away so mistakes aren't unduly punished. The dystopian sci-fi story the game tells isn't quite as compelling as it thinks it is but it does the job; and the parts where you infiltrate the homes of some of the guards and hear the background that led them to work for your captors does breathe an amount of life into the setting as a whole.
12. Gunman Clive (Android): 2D platformer with an interesting graphical style. This was massively well reviewed on all the platforms it came out for (including the 3DS) and while it's fun I don't entirely understand where all the praise is coming from. Worth a go no doubt, but don't expect something amazing.
13. Pixel Staff (Android): short low-fi looking Metroidvania thing. Feels like more of a demo than a full game but I did enjoy it while it lasted.
14. Hellraid: The Escape (Android): a first person puzzler with a survival horror aesthetic. Made with the Unreal engine so very pretty in action, although often it felt like the lavish level architecture was being used to artificially raise the difficulty by hiding critical items. Worse than that though the puzzles were often very cryptic and illogical which took the shine off the whole thing. Not a terrible game but not brilliant either and I suspect the visuals alone were the reason it got the praise it did from review sites.
15. Forever Lost: Episode 1 (Android): pretty standard puzzle game raised above it's peers by the generally logical and well thought out puzzles. I only got completely stuck a couple of times and spent most of the game genuinely figuring stuff out with a bit of thought which as it should be. Not the prettiest game around but a fun example of the genre.
16. GTA 5 (PS4): Meh. I got into it more as I played it, and certainly further into the game the constant driving around wasn't boring the fucking tits off me any more, but it just never properly grabbed me by the balls. I think perhaps I was expecting a gameworld that properly rewarded exploration (a la Fallout or something) but quickly realised there's close to fuck all behind the facade of the place. This massive city just seemed weirdly dead and pointless with you weren't presented with any reason to visit parts of it unless a mission demanded it. The best I can say is that I will now probably play the next GTA game that comes out but I certainly won't be expecting a lot from it.
17. Gene Effect (Android): sci-fi explore em up containing mild peril. The levels do get a bit repetitive by the end as each one boils down to much the same thing eventually but I really enjoyed my time with it and controlling a ship that's so hilariously fragile in the depths of an alien mine did bring no small amount of atmosphere with it. Aside from a couple of timed levels and some instant death section it's not very difficult but then I was playing it on the easiest setting. Which was on the advice of various reviews which reckoned it was too hard if you moved up the scale but I'm now wishing I had played it on medium at least. Although doing so does cut your allotted time on the timed sequence which I was only squeaking through on easy so perhaps I'd have regretted that decision.
18. Nihilumbra (PC): puzzle platformer in which your character controls an increasing array of powers that you can 'paint' onto the landscape to alter it's properties and get you through the levels. The graphics are pretty but there's something off-puttingly low fi about them which only serves to make the game look cheap unfortunately. It also desperately wants to be mentioned in the same breathe as Bastion but the VO guy is no Logan Cunningham and the actual dialogue is pretty lumpen stuff. It's not a bad game mind and it's short enough that it doesn't outstay it's welcome; not least because most of the puzzles are pretty straightforward. Well, that's for the 'normal' game anyway. Once you complete that it unlocks a new 'void' mode which turns all the levels into ludicrously difficult versions of themselves. I'm talking 'seven attempts to get off the first screen of the first level' sort of difficult which can GTFF. Which is a shame as it shows the developer does have the sort of fiendish imagination required to make something of the concept but the normal mode is, arguably, too easy and the void mode is just too stupidly difficult. A single mode lying somewhere between the two would've really transformed it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 19:05 
UltraMod

TL;DR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:47 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
TL;DR

You're such a prick wit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:01 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
1. The Evil Within (PS4).

Apparently I'm doing one a month now.

2. Rogue Legacy (PS Vita & PS4).

16 hours 43 minutes of busting through maps that could probably be finished in 10-15 minutes if your character was strong enough. Why? Cause it's groovy and a little bit moreish. I tells ya, that final boss was doing my tits in though. Could I do it? Could I fuck. The last battle was to the death as he chipped me down to 26 health and one final blow would kill me. Pity for him he did that "I'm going in the corner for a minute to prepare to shoot knives into your eye sockets"-move and I swarmed over and started pounding away with my awesome Hokum character who hit hard. One, two hits and a third would finish it. Just as I'm pressing the button the knives start moving. (And if you've done the boss you'll know that the knives move at random heights). I swear the one level with my face "just" started to move, perhaps a pixel from my face, when my hit got home and the boss exploded. I swear I'd died 20+ times by now. But no more. Cause I was, no, I AM, the champion. Level 107. 16 hours and 43 minutes. Mr Winnah Man. Shabba.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:27 
UltraMod

You killed it last year - have a rest and re-evaluate your life this year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:08 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo: a second playthrough now it's finally come to Android.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:35 
Bad Girl

Nice to see some LIMBO love.

I made a thread somewhere about the second game the developers were doing but then forgot what it was called. I wonder what's happening with that these days.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 19:59 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
20. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light: brilliant stuff. So good in fact that I've just played the whole thing through from start to finish this afternoon (though I did complete it once before on the Xbox which probably helped). All set to play the new one now whenever I take the disc off my shelf and stick it in the PS4.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 23:50 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
20. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
21. The Cat Lady: This is a weird one. Essentially a point and click adventure about a suicidal woman who comes back from the dead, but it's a very uneven experience. Some of it's incredibly well done (most of the voice acting, general characterisation, the atmosphere) but parts of it are really amateurish as well (the interface is awful, the whole thing plays out in this weird little frame with a pointless low-res surrounding graphic, the animation is stiff). The first level proper in the hospital is pretty boring and the puzzles suck so it doesn't make the best first impression, but it improves massively after that and I was really sucked into it during the subsequent chapters. It's not always as macabre as it thinks it is but it hits the mark enough to be compelling and, weirdly, the more mundane sections are what really flesh out the two main characters. I suspect people will either really like it or really hate it but it's definitely worth a go and it's an experience that'll stick with me for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:42 
Time Out for Fun

Piss off, You've completed more games in 2 months than all of us combined. Possibly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:08 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:
21. The Cat Lady: This is a weird one. Essentially a point and click adventure about a suicidal woman who comes back from the dead, but it's a very uneven experience. Some of it's incredibly well done (most of the voice acting, general characterisation, the atmosphere) but parts of it are really amateurish as well (the interface is awful, the whole thing plays out in this weird little frame with a pointless low-res surrounding graphic, the animation is stiff). The first level proper in the hospital is pretty boring and the puzzles suck so it doesn't make the best first impression, but it improves massively after that and I was really sucked into it during the subsequent chapters. It's not always as macabre as it thinks it is but it hits the mark enough to be compelling and, weirdly, the more mundane sections are what really flesh out the two main characters. I suspect people will either really like it or really hate it but it's definitely worth a go and it's an experience that'll stick with me for sure.

I got stuck and bored at the hospital and never bothered to come back to it. But the game definitely has a very unsettling atmosphere.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:46 
Excellent Member

RuySan wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I got stuck and bored at the hospital and never bothered to come back to it. But the game definitely has a very unsettling atmosphere.

Aye, the hospital level is definitely the weakest part which I imagine puts a lot of people off but as soon as I looked up a walkthrough to get me past the two puzzles I was stuck on things got a shitload better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 22:05 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
1. The Evil Within (PS4).
2. Rogue Legacy (PS Vita & PS4).

3. Far Cry 4 (PS4)

I done done anutha.

"It's more of the same!" come the cries of people. Actually, no, it's less of the same. Well, it's the same, but less. Fewer. You know how many levels Far Cry 3 had? I looked: 40. You know how many this has got? 27. You remember all those kooky characters in Far Cry 3? It had a fair few didn't it? Vas was pretty cool an' all. Not least cause you had a fair bit of contact with him. Pagin Min is, well, ok, he could be pretty cool, but you barely see him once the game has started. He doesn't really "phone" you up and say stuff at your face much. I clocked this in 14 hours. Had I just aimed for the campaign mishs that would probably be about half the time. Cause, yes, you can do outposts (and I did) and you can do the towers (and I did). BUT NOW YOU CAN DO FORTRESSES! (and I did. A bit) AND BLOW UP TRUCKS! (yes, I did that too) AND SAVE RANDOM HOSTAGES! (an' that) AND HELP THE REBELS! (an' that) AND go hunt animals! (I did one) and race cars (nope)... and do mini missions to save people (I did one) ... and rip down posters (I did a few) ... and other stuff (I probably did some) ... and more stuff like finding places (Stumbled on some. Fuck if I'm going looking for the ? in areas register that I went there.) ... jesus ... what else ... (Actually, one was an ammo dump but the ? was underwater. I swam out and it registered that I went to the ammo dump. Pointless) ... and finding some idols (fuck that) ... find some scrolls that take you to a spirit world (did the mandatory one. Boring) ... find some pieces of a picture ... Christ ... I was 25% of the total completion. There's no way I'm doing any more. You could also sign up to U-Play so you can play some Co-Op fortresses. Fuck that. You could reset the outposts to do them again. Fuck that. You could do some 5 v 5 deathmatch. Fuck that. You could make your own map. Fuck that. You could do loads of things. LOADS. Fuck that.

FUCK ALL THAT SHIT.

Christ, there's too much stuff. I want to smash it's face off cause it wants me to do loads of different things. That's really bad, right? Cause they've made this huge game with loads of things to do in it. Well, I don't feel guilty at all. They should have scaled back the bullshit. Made a better campaign. Made some more interesting levels. Stopped falling back on levels being involve you sitting on a machine gun. Remember that level in Far Cry 3 when you're buried alive? Shit that was creepy. Remember that one on the boat that blows up and you're in it underwater? That's about the time it went all bombastic. THERE'S NONE OF THAT.

Still, it's bloody pretty. It's the equivalent of a NUTS magazine (is that still going) cover girl. Pretty but vacuous. It's sprawling, it's massive, it's gorgeous, it's got a great pair of norks but it's not very interesting. It won't talk to you about the news or world affairs. It won't want to watch some interesting documentary on WW2 giant machines made by the Nazis. It won't want to go to the zoo and stare longingly at the elephant. It won't let you stroke it's hair and whisper your dreams and fantasies in its ear. It wants to get in a car and go shoot things in the face. GO FASTER! SHOOT! SHOOT A ELEPHANT! SHOOT PEOPLE! GET A GUN TURRANTSHOOTMURDERDEATHKILLSHOOTFASTERLOOKATMYTITS.

Very disappointing. If you've played Far Cry 3 then you've played the better game.

4/10.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:35 
Excellent Member

Far Cry 4: "it's got a great pair of tits on it". That's a hell of a review.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:36 
Excellent Member

:kiss:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:15 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

1. Wolfenstein: The new order. It was good in a "hold your hand all the way through" kind of way.
2. Fruit Ninja: I'm claiming this as I've got all the achievements on my phone.
3. Shark Dash: Same with this.
4. Mad Dog Mcree: Yes it's an arcade game and yes, you can complete it in less than 15 minutes but it's quite hard and I have finally seen the (albeit) short ending.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 22:25 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through: Very pretty and cutesy point and click adventure thing with a nice time-travel technique as also seen in The Silent Age if anyone's played that. I played the demo of this ages ago which was pretty long and the full game picked up my save game so I actually started a chunk of the way through and barely remembered what I was doing but it's straight forward enough to pick up so I banged through the second half of the game in a couple of hours or so.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 22:27 
INFINITE POWAH

smug smug smuggity smug smug smug.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 22:34 
Excellent Member

:D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 22:35 
INFINITE POWAH

:)

I'm jealous cos I haven't actually finished a game in two years. Hugely excited that this fortnight's GWG is the good Tomb Raider game - I will be playing that one fairly solidly once it's downloaded.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 22:39 
Excellent Member

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
:)

I'm jealous cos I haven't actually finished a game in two years. Hugely excited that this fortnight's GWG is the good Tomb Raider game - I will be playing that one fairly solidly once it's downloaded.

I really enjoyed it and it's one of the few games I might actually replay on the PS4 if I run out of other new stuff to play. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 23:17 
UltraMod

1. Proteus (Vita) - finished the game
2. Desert Golfing (iOS) - played 1,000 holes
3. Heavy Metal Thunder (iOS) - finished story
4. Driveclub (PS4) - finished Tour with 175/225 stars
5. Peggle Classic (iOS) - finished Adventure Mode with 18m points
6. OlliOlli 2: Welcome to Olliwood (PS4) - completed all stages on Amateur

Still lots and lots to do, but this is an achievement in itself so it's going on the list at this early stage. Refinement of the stellar original game - this is going to be one of my games of 2015 I can already tell.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 16:51 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula: excellent. The sound design is worth the price of admission alone but it's just so generally stuffed full of charm and imagination, without once tipping into 'twee', that I enjoyed every minute with it. Sometimes the puzzles get a bit obscure but Amanita have a bit of a house style so it helps you know what to look for when you've played the rest of their games. Also there's no shame in dipping into a walkthrough now and again as it's not a small game and you're likely to get stuck on a few bits here and there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:54 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
24. Valiant Hearts: The Great War: hardly the most challenging game in the world but great fun and absolutely gorgeous throughout. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish and would love to see more along the same lines.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:32 
UltraMod

1. Proteus (Vita) - finished the game
2. Desert Golfing (iOS) - played 1,000 holes
3. Heavy Metal Thunder (iOS) - finished story
4. Driveclub (PS4) - finished Tour with 175/225 stars, finished free DLC trophies
5. Peggle Classic (iOS) - finished Adventure Mode with 18m points
6. OlliOlli 2: Welcome to Olliwood (PS4) - completed all stages on Amateur
7. Daytona Rush (iOS) - unlocked all tiers, top on friends leaderboards for all tiers

Great little free-to-play lane-changing game (you can choose to view ads to double the cash you get per run). You have to juggle slipstreaming so you don't use too much fuel with avoiding collisions, and making sure you can get back across to go to the pits when you run out. I liked this a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 15:27 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
24. Valiant Hearts: The Great War
25. That Level Again: a really interesting puzzle game on Android. Each level sees you take your character through the same very simple platform level with the hook being that each time round there's a different requirement for opening the level exit. This starts off with the usual kind of thing (increased/decreased/reversed gravity, reversed controls etc) progresses through the bizarre (all the on screen buttons are continually moving around the screen as you try to play the game) and gets properly meta at times (you need to use the physical volume key on your phone to open the exit gate). The only hint you get is the name of each level which is supposed to direct you towards the solution each time. The level designs run the gamut of trivial to very clever to 'how in the name of fuck was I ever supposed to work that out' but you're always intrigued to see what the next puzzle will be and there's an ever present solution button should you get completely stuck (which you will). Even the implementation of that is interesting because you only get the solution if you're willing to watch an advert, which serves as a nice way for the developer to monetise the game while also lightly discouraging you from giving up too easily. I've played a Flash game at some point that does this same game design, though slightly slicker, which I'll try and dig out in case anyone fancies a shot of that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 17:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Using the volume key is meta?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 17:53 
Paws for thought

Bamba wrote:
all the on screen buttons are continually moving around the screen as you try to play the game

This sounds shit. Like the modern equivalent of reversing controls.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 21:14 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Using the volume key is meta?

In that it steps out of the confines of the actual game UI and pulls in real world physical aspects you wouldn't usually consider as game controls, yes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 21:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

"Meta" means "Self-referential".

At least it does in my head.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 21:36 
Isn't that lovely?

Meta means "beyond" "outside" "extended" maybe even "above" in my mind.

Malc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 22:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Really? Huh.

When did that happen?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 23:18 
Excellent Member

I suspect that Grimms definition is more accurate but I'm glad someone else knew what I mean there so thanks Malc. :kiss:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 23:23 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
Bamba wrote:
all the on screen buttons are continually moving around the screen as you try to play the game

This sounds shit. Like the modern equivalent of reversing controls.

It does that as well, as I said. Bear in mind that each level takes about five seconds to play once you work out the trick for it so it's all about the range of concepts involved. You're not left struggling to get through some massive level with a stupid gimmick or anything, the actual platforming is secondary to the puzzle of working out how you're supposed to approach it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 23:24 
Excellent Member

Anyway, it's free so just play it; or shut the fuck up.

Reply to topic  [ 589 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next