Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 589 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finish 52 Challenge 2015
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:15 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

1. Wolfenstein: The new order. It was good in a "hold your hand all the way through" kind of way.
2. Fruit Ninja: I'm claiming this as I've got all the achievements on my phone.
3. Shark Dash: Same with this.
4. Mad Dog Mcree: Yes it's an arcade game and yes, you can complete it in less than 15 minutes but it's quite hard and I have finally seen the (albeit) short ending.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 22:25 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
10. Xon episodes one and two (all that are available right now)
11. Republique episodes one, two and three (all that are available right now)
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
14. Hellraid: The Escape
15. Forever Lost: Episode 1
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
20. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through: Very pretty and cutesy point and click adventure thing with a nice time-travel technique as also seen in The Silent Age if anyone's played that. I played the demo of this ages ago which was pretty long and the full game picked up my save game so I actually started a chunk of the way through and barely remembered what I was doing but it's straight forward enough to pick up so I banged through the second half of the game in a couple of hours or so.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 22:27 
INFINITE POWAH

smug smug smuggity smug smug smug.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 22:34 
Excellent Member

:D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 22:35 
INFINITE POWAH

:)

I'm jealous cos I haven't actually finished a game in two years. Hugely excited that this fortnight's GWG is the good Tomb Raider game - I will be playing that one fairly solidly once it's downloaded.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 22:39 
Excellent Member

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
:)

I'm jealous cos I haven't actually finished a game in two years. Hugely excited that this fortnight's GWG is the good Tomb Raider game - I will be playing that one fairly solidly once it's downloaded.

I really enjoyed it and it's one of the few games I might actually replay on the PS4 if I run out of other new stuff to play. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 23:17 
UltraMod

1. Proteus (Vita) - finished the game
2. Desert Golfing (iOS) - played 1,000 holes
3. Heavy Metal Thunder (iOS) - finished story
4. Driveclub (PS4) - finished Tour with 175/225 stars
5. Peggle Classic (iOS) - finished Adventure Mode with 18m points
6. OlliOlli 2: Welcome to Olliwood (PS4) - completed all stages on Amateur

Still lots and lots to do, but this is an achievement in itself so it's going on the list at this early stage. Refinement of the stellar original game - this is going to be one of my games of 2015 I can already tell.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 16:51 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula: excellent. The sound design is worth the price of admission alone but it's just so generally stuffed full of charm and imagination, without once tipping into 'twee', that I enjoyed every minute with it. Sometimes the puzzles get a bit obscure but Amanita have a bit of a house style so it helps you know what to look for when you've played the rest of their games. Also there's no shame in dipping into a walkthrough now and again as it's not a small game and you're likely to get stuck on a few bits here and there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:54 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
24. Valiant Hearts: The Great War: hardly the most challenging game in the world but great fun and absolutely gorgeous throughout. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish and would love to see more along the same lines.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:32 
UltraMod

1. Proteus (Vita) - finished the game
2. Desert Golfing (iOS) - played 1,000 holes
3. Heavy Metal Thunder (iOS) - finished story
4. Driveclub (PS4) - finished Tour with 175/225 stars, finished free DLC trophies
5. Peggle Classic (iOS) - finished Adventure Mode with 18m points
6. OlliOlli 2: Welcome to Olliwood (PS4) - completed all stages on Amateur
7. Daytona Rush (iOS) - unlocked all tiers, top on friends leaderboards for all tiers

Great little free-to-play lane-changing game (you can choose to view ads to double the cash you get per run). You have to juggle slipstreaming so you don't use too much fuel with avoiding collisions, and making sure you can get back across to go to the pits when you run out. I liked this a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 15:27 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
24. Valiant Hearts: The Great War
25. That Level Again: a really interesting puzzle game on Android. Each level sees you take your character through the same very simple platform level with the hook being that each time round there's a different requirement for opening the level exit. This starts off with the usual kind of thing (increased/decreased/reversed gravity, reversed controls etc) progresses through the bizarre (all the on screen buttons are continually moving around the screen as you try to play the game) and gets properly meta at times (you need to use the physical volume key on your phone to open the exit gate). The only hint you get is the name of each level which is supposed to direct you towards the solution each time. The level designs run the gamut of trivial to very clever to 'how in the name of fuck was I ever supposed to work that out' but you're always intrigued to see what the next puzzle will be and there's an ever present solution button should you get completely stuck (which you will). Even the implementation of that is interesting because you only get the solution if you're willing to watch an advert, which serves as a nice way for the developer to monetise the game while also lightly discouraging you from giving up too easily. I've played a Flash game at some point that does this same game design, though slightly slicker, which I'll try and dig out in case anyone fancies a shot of that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 17:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Using the volume key is meta?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 17:53 
Paws for thought

Bamba wrote:
all the on screen buttons are continually moving around the screen as you try to play the game

This sounds shit. Like the modern equivalent of reversing controls.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 21:14 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Using the volume key is meta?

In that it steps out of the confines of the actual game UI and pulls in real world physical aspects you wouldn't usually consider as game controls, yes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 21:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

"Meta" means "Self-referential".

At least it does in my head.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 21:36 
Isn't that lovely?

Meta means "beyond" "outside" "extended" maybe even "above" in my mind.

Malc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 22:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Really? Huh.

When did that happen?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 23:18 
Excellent Member

I suspect that Grimms definition is more accurate but I'm glad someone else knew what I mean there so thanks Malc. :kiss:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 23:23 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
Bamba wrote:
all the on screen buttons are continually moving around the screen as you try to play the game

This sounds shit. Like the modern equivalent of reversing controls.

It does that as well, as I said. Bear in mind that each level takes about five seconds to play once you work out the trick for it so it's all about the range of concepts involved. You're not left struggling to get through some massive level with a stupid gimmick or anything, the actual platforming is secondary to the puzzle of working out how you're supposed to approach it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 23:24 
Excellent Member

Anyway, it's free so just play it; or shut the fuck up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 23:25 
Excellent Member

:kiss:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 23:51 
Isn't that lovely?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta

According to that it used to mean what I said now it more means just info about the thing.

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 13:24 

1. Crysis (PC)
  2. Octodad (PC)
  3. Crysis Warhead (PC)
  4. Tomb Raider: Anniversary (PC)
  5. The Evil Within (PC)

Plays like a cross between Resident Evil 4 and The Last Of Us, and when it sticks to that, it's great, but sometimes it injects these sequences that you have to do over and over until you "get" it, which can be annoying. And if you thought The Last Of Us had difficulty spikes... Got dangerously close to joypad throwing territory at times, that's all I can say.

For some reason I thought the entire game would take place in a hospital, but it actually takes place across a huge variety of settings, some open (a la the village of RE4), others linear and claustrophobic, some in modern city, others in gothic villages, some indoors, some outdoors. The constantly changing environments (due to the rather psychedelic story) and the completely unrealistic crossbow ammo did take a lot away from the immersion factor for me. And yeah, the story is Silent Hill-esque, but just not very gripping, the same way you don't care about the story in a Resident Evil game.

So it's ultimately a very video gamey game, with a lot of great bits, some hard bits, a couple of frustrating bits, and many spectacular insta-deaths (and lots of checkpoints to balance).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 13:33 
UltraMod

I didn't get past the first hospital bit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 13:56 

I should add that it really does have a very effective, oppressively scary atmosphere, at least for a big part of the game. It does manage to get under the player's skin in that way, and it does a good job of messing with expectations in a few places.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 22:09 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
1. The Evil Within (PS4).
2. Rogue Legacy (PS Vita & PS4).
3. Far Cry 4 (PS4)

4. Transistor (PS4)

I'm going to have a crack at the story since I thought it was supposed to be sorta confusing. Red is a singer. The bad guys wanted to assassinate her. They try but instead of killing her they stab her lover with the transistor sword. Apparently this sword can control this thing called The Process which builds stuff for the occupants of the city who all, presumably, live somewhere a bit like in the matrix and The Matrix, I mean, The Process changes stuff like the colour of the sky, buildings, blah blah. It's God, init.

So after attempting to stab Red and missing completely, the bad guys happen to just leave this magic sword stuck in her lovers gut. This is a massive oversight for these genius bad guys cause without the sword The Matrix goes nuts and starts deleting the city.

The sword is so awesome that it can absorb people's spirits. The sword starts taking to you and within, oh, all of 3 seconds I clocked that the voice coming out the sword was the voice of the dead lover. IT WAS STUCK IN HIS GUT AND RECOGNISES YOU, who the fuck else is it going to be?

You then battle through some very pretty but pretty dull environments fighting robots. The fighting is pretty ok until about 2/3rds of the way through you absorb the soul of some rugby player and snaffle this move that throws the robots into the air. It's a game breaking move since no fight beyond this point is very hard because this move - combined with the sword move - basically fucks everyone up. To be fair, it was pretty good mixing up the combinations of moves from the different souls and creating new moves and variants on old moves but after this you basically stop trying cause you've got the killer move.

Then you steam through to the end through a linear passage of dull but pretty looking areas fighting the robots. You won't be too bored but you'll be about bored.

You reach the bad guys and it turns out that the bad guys can't stop The Matrix cause, well, the sword, which you're bringing with you.

Then you go back to battle The Matrix. It's kinda like The Library level of Halo as you bore through a procession of boring looking identical areas until you finally reach The Matrix. You have a pretty fun boss fight and then it ends with a silly but ok ending.

THEN ITS TIME FOR THE BIG REVEAL! The voice in the sword was your lover's voice! OMG OH NOES! Hang on, absolutely everyone with a brain cell has instantly figured that out at the beginning. FIN.

Good parts:
Dull but pretty graphics.
Nice animation on the main character. She has a jump move. YOU NEVER HAVE TO USE IT EVER. But it's there.
The lover's voice is absolutely brilliant throughout. He's never irritating; he's sincere; he's heart warming to listen to and, if I had a voice like his, I would start a phone sex chat line and make a million dollars. Honestly, I love that guy's voice.
It's short and relatively inoffensive.
I sorta enjoyed the fighting.

Just bits:
When the lover talks on screen the sword glows with his speech. It's a nice effect. You can, AND THIS IS THE REALLY COOL THING, shove his voice in the PS4 controller and the sword light talky effect is reproduced on the PS4 controller light thingy! It's AMAZING! Seriously cool. Thing is, you lose the soft tones of his voice so you turn it off and have his dreamy voice oozing out of your TV speakers instead.

Bad bits:
The story isn't confoosing; it's just a bit crap. Seriously, if this sword is so awesome don't leave it sticking out of your victim unless you've got a great excuse for leaving it at the scene of the crime. It doesn't.
The rugby player's move is too over powered.
It's a bit boring. Confusingly it's also short so how come you ain't got enough excitement in there to keep me on the edge of my seat?

5/10 'cause I still love numbers. Numbers rulez.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 14:27 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
25. That Level Again
26. Helidroid 3D: a recent Amazon 'free app of the day' for Android which involves piloting an RC helicopter through various missions set around a house and it's garden. I wasn't expecting much as it's not the pretties thing in the world but it's actually got a nice variety of missions and a range of decent control options so it ended up being pretty good fun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 15:08 
Excellent Member

That's really sad that Transistor apparently couldn't keep the high standards of Bastion. I loved that game.

I still want to play Transistor though...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 16:36 
Excellent Member

Fckstcks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 16:39 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
<3.85> on Mind: Path to Thalamus for the PC.

:DD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 17:02 

1. Crysis (PC)
  2. Octodad (PC)
  3. Crysis Warhead (PC)
  4. Tomb Raider: Anniversary (PC)
  5. The Evil Within (PC)
  6. Torchlight (PC)

Played until finishing the main story line, but also finished all the ember quests, all the fame quests, and most (?) of the portal quests. I played on Hard, because popular opinion is that Normal is too easy to provide any challenge, and that seems about right.

I never played a Diablo game, so this was my first experience with a mouse driven action RPG. The game doesn't really make any attempt at explaining the finer points. For example, sometimes it seemed that the game was not reacting to my key presses. But after some time I realized that since you can't perform an action while you are in the middle of another, what you have to do is hold down the key until the action can be performed.

I also didn't realize that my basic attack was becoming fairly useless, and that I should just assign my first learned skill (a slash attack) to the left mouse button instead and use that. I must have been about half through the game at this point. Of course, these learned skills cost mana to use, and this was where I had the amazing epiphany that even if you play as a warrior you should be expending mana at the same rate as HP, or you are simply not putting up your best fight. Once this was sussed, I started really dealing out serious beatings and combos and really got into the game.

You actually really do need to pay attention and use skills and strategies in order to succeed, and I felt that I learned as I played, which is always nice. It is a bit misleading at first, because it is not until the latter half of the game that it really starts putting up a challenge.

I tended to lose track of the mouse pointer when things got hectic, but that happens in RTS games as well, so maybe that's just me. I did also find that the enemies were too hard to target at times, especially flying ones, and I am not convinced it was my all my fault.

The game is rather simplistic in terms of presentation and story, but now I am looking forward to playing the sequel, which is supposedly a big improvement.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 17:33 
Excellent Member

Torchlight was one of the most mind numbing experiences of my life. It's almost none of the guys know what made the first Diablo special (and the Torchlight team actually has some guys that worked on Diablo).

There's no atmosphere whatsoever and no rhyme or reason to the progression of the levels. No sense of place at all. This is basically an huge grind, clicking on stuff and watch numbers getting bigger.

I still think no game of this kind is as good as Diablo 1. And no game of this kind besides Diablo 1 is as good as Diablo 2. This is a genre which is awash with mediocrity and lack of innovation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 18:38 

So what was it that made Diablo special?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 18:45 
Excellent Member

Atmosphere and setting. Each new level really felt like a step closer to hell.

Facing the Butcher the first time was one of those unforgettable experiences. Same for Lazarus, or seeing the man bleeding to death in front of the church warning about the Butcher. There was an omnipresent sense of dread and danger. And that soundtrack!

Torchlight thematically was all over the place. One level had treetop villages, the next a sunken city and so on...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 23:41 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
25. That Level Again
26. Helidroid 3D
27. Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssey New n Tasty: I'm struggling a bit to form a coherent opinion on this one. I mean I definitely enjoyed it to some degree given that I played it through to the end (bad ending; fuck trying to rescue loads of the wee dicks) but so much of it was a fucking infuriating grind. Apparently the controls have been improved from the original game which terrifies me because they're still one of the main reasons you'll die so often. Even by the end of the game there were still plenty of times when Abe would jump forward rather up to grab an over-hanging platform and you'd get shot/exploded/eaten for the billionth time. And even without that factor there are multiple parts of the game where you've solved the puzzle and know exactly what to do but the execution is so fucking finicky--or just requires a massive string of pixel perfect jumps and rolls and whatever--that you can spend half an hour slowly perfecting what needs done. On the other hand the very fact that I was willing to spend half an hour solid on certain parts just to progress like two feet of in-game space does indicate that some horrible masochistic part of my brain did enjoy biting down the rage and just practising the same section over and over and over. You can totally tell that it's a remake of an old game because the whole design and execution of it's so needlessly unfriendly (it does a pretty shit job of explaining itself as well of course). I know a lot of people think games are too easy these days and we're no longer in some golden age of games design but those people are giant fucking idiots who's brains have become addled by all the nostalgia they've been huffing. The terrible cunts. So, um, I dunno. Is it a good game? I suppose. Did I enjoy? In some weird way, apparently. Would I like to ever play it again? I will fucking cut you!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 23:55 
Bad Girl

Incidentally I started to play this the other day (it was a toss up between this and Valiant Hearts) and 'accidentally' killed the very first guy you see by dropping him down a hole. I didn't think that was fair and I wanted to rescue all the wee buggers (or at least try) so I jumped down after him to my death.

Which bizarrely triggered a bug which zoomed me much further into the game right in a really finicky section that involved dropping a bomb. I tried; I died. I couldn't restart to the last checkpoint cause it'd saved itself after this bug so I had to restart the whole game all over thing again.

Not a huge problem, cause I hadn't gone very far but still, not the greatest introduction to the game.

I'll come back but I started Valiant Hearts instead. Tch, aye?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:18 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

TheVision wrote:
1. Wolfenstein: The new order.
2. Fruit Ninja.
3. Shark Dash.
4. Mad Dog Mcree.

5. COD: Ghosts: Well worth the £5 I paid for it but it is very linear. I also felt that a lot of the time, the story would have progressed whether I was there or not.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 21:58 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
3. Far Cry 4 (PS4)
4. Transistor (PS4)

5. Valiant Hearts (PS4).

This is rather difficult so I'm just going to lump my thoughts in a big list.

a) Nice graphics in a 'Alien Hominid' kinda way.
b) Basic, almost child-like, puzzles that are dull without any satisfactory pay-off except that you can move onto the next rudimentary puzzle.
c) Jarring authenticity in the pictures and text about the actual WW1 (and even in the items you pick up such as the letters from real soldiers) that was, to me at least, fascinating.
d) Was the story based on real events or just made up? I couldn't make my mind up about it throughout. Was it telling me a cartoon version of real stories that actually happened or was it just from someone's brains or a combination of the two? It was all terribly confusing because I wanted so desperately to go along with it throughout. I longed to be interested in the fates of these four people yet something at the back of my head was telling me "just to the end and be done with it". The first two acts are typical silly cartoon villain stuff then the last two acts are less straightforward extended prologues to each of the four protagonists stories. I'll be honest, the bland gameplay really wore me down and by the end of it I just wanted rid. Not only that, the constant changing of the characters meant that when the end did come I had had enough and even the surprising ending wasn't enough to redeem itself.
e) The medic woman's QTE: get fucked.
f) The american guy's final fight? A QTE: get fucked.
g) The dog: I WUBS YOU.
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
h) That ending. Nice. Really well done but it could have been so much better. First of all, when the game made me plonk that officer over the head with the spade the motivation wasn't pushed hard enough; there was something missing in those final moments. I understood why I needed to smash his head in with a spade but my character didn't. It came down to a simple squish of the square button and the officer fell over. There was no expression on my character's face, in his movements, his actions, he was entirely as I left him moments before. He emitted no emotion towards his comrades as they stood about not begging me, the player, to understand that they didn't want to needlessly die anymore and that I must help them by punishing the guy that had been pushing us along. I was sincerely disappointed. I wanted to feel something at that moment that never came and I wanted to feel desperate sympathy for the character during his final moments which never came either. Final moments which out of pure idiocy of the game makers was entirely RUINED by a flashing indicator to show another bit of factual history had popped up - so what did I do? I clicked on it as I had been doing throughout. And what the fuck did I learn? Only that 650 people were executed during the war by their own people and 50 during the battle that I had just this minute been playing. Oh, I WONDER WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN HERE THEN? Except I ain't cause it was blindly obvious. Thanks a fuck Ubisoft. You couldn't hold that one back until AFTER I'd stumbled into the firing squad. Fucking 'tards.

i) 100 collectibles? Get to fucking off.
j) What's with the uPlay action things popping up? Get tah fucking the fuck off.
k) It's actually too long. Even though it's relatively short. Riddle me that, aye?

And so on.

Turns out that it's a semi-interesting cartoon puzzle game for kids with information about WW1 that you could probably find on wikipedia if you were interested enough to go looking into the horrors of that war. It might get your kids interested in history but as a game, for me, as a childless adult with no kiddies to play it with, it suffered from far too many samey gaming tropes to make it worthwhile.

Probably cause it was Ubisoft, right? Those cunts. They could have stepped up the horror and made a classic but they actually produced something generic and bland cause they ain't got the bollocks. Probably.

EDIT: Let's shove some numbers in here. 4/10. Transistor was better, but only just.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 18:00 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
25. That Level Again
26. Helidroid 3D
27. Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssey New n Tasty
28. Mind: Path to Thalamus: Indie PC nonsense. Initially seems like it's going to be a Dear Esther-esque walking simulator--and there are certainly parallels in the presentation--but it quickly turns into a puzzle game with pretensions. It mostly concerns itself with the rolling around of balls and their placement onto switches (of a sort) to manipulate the environment. There are a couple of clever ideas in here that are effectively used now and again, but mostly the scenery just changes while very similar problems are placed before you. There's a few nicely designed environmental details but it's generally a bit unimpressive graphically and there was a fair chunk of hideous screen tear which annoyed me; especially as I'd turned on the v-sync option. Also the plot is half-baked psycho-babble and of little interest so you stop giving a shit about that aspect pretty quickly. I didn't hate it or anything but can't really recommend it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:36 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
3. Far Cry 4 (PS4)
4. Transistor (PS4)
5. Valiant Hearts (PS4).

6. Heir (Browser?). Platforming Shadow of the Colossus and a surprisingly fun distraction for twenty minutes or so. If you're bored at work and your pooty can handle it, it's worth your time.

7. COUNTER Spy (PS4). I must have been in the mood cause I've really enjoyed this and did the lot in 2 sittings. It's Rolling Thunder (well I reckon it has similar stylings. The artwork is real good actually), it's a puzzle game (so you want to clear a room of baddies by shooting them in the head one at a time so as to not alert the others? Go!) and it's a 3D shooter all in one (since the puzzle bit spins the screen in 3D allowing you to pew pew pew in the third dimension).

I think it's supposed to be Rogue-Like since it randomises the levels but that still didn't stop it repeating sections a fair few times during my playthrough. Bit disappointed by that actually.

Oh and it has this permadeath-esq mechanic that if you raise the Defcon level (it's all to do with getting spotted and allowing the baddies to radio for help) then you can end your "run" and back to go to start the game all over again. There's a catch though, cause you can pause and quit without being punished so if you're quick enough to quit after you die you won't lose your progress. Shame really cause I did fuck up bad once and I should have allowed the game to punish me but I cheated out. Tch. Gamers, aye?

Oh and the Defcon can be tripped in game which gives you 60 seconds to reach the end of the level and stop the countdown; that's pretty thrilling.

What else, the weapons are cool and meaty. The targetting is spot on (no invert on the controls though. MINUS ONE POINT).

Awww hell, it's just pretty fucking good fun and cheered up my sad little life for an evening.

Have a 6 out of 10 you fun but disposable game. It'd be a 7 but NO INVERT!?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:02 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
25. That Level Again
26. Helidroid 3D
28. Mind: Path to Thalamus
29. Heir

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 13:39 
Excellent Member

1. The Room
2. The Room 2
3. Monument Valley
4. The Unfinished Swan
5. Flower
6. Age of Zombies
7. P.T.
8. Thomas Was Alone
9. Space Expedition
12. Gunman Clive
13. Pixel Staff
16. GTA 5
17. Gene Effect
18. Nihilumbra
19. Limbo
21. The Cat Lady
22. Lily Looking Through
23. Botanicula
25. That Level Again
26. Helidroid 3D
28. Mind: Path to Thalamus
29. Heir
30. Rivers of Alice: Beautiful point and click adventure for Android with great music and sound design but the puzzles are obscure and annoying enough that I can't really recommend it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 13:44 
Excellent Member

Also, I notice last year it took me until October to get to a total of 30 so it looks like I'm no course to easily beat my score from last year. It's odd that I'm hammering through games so much more quickly this time round.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 16:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I noticed that. Are you more single this year than last year, or do you have a different job or something?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 17:14 
Excellent Member

I am more single but that was never really a barrier to my playing games anyway. I dunno, I'm more motivated to play games than I've been for a while for some reason. Although most of the stuff I'm finishing is on Android and I'm doing exactly the same amount of mobile gaming as I always have because that's solely during commuting time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 20:07 
Paws for thought

It's one bugger of a commute to see Myp for some spooning. Much more time for him to play games.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 21:56 
Excellent Member

1. The Book of Unwritten tales
2. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.
3. Trine 2
4. The Banner Saga
5. Shadowrun Returns
6. Ziggurat – A roguelike FPS that manages to improve on Tower of Guns in many significant ways: The enemies are not bullet sponges, great variety of guns, and lovely aesthetics influenced by 90’s games like Heretic. I loved it, and the last boss battle was one of the most intense and moments in gaming I’ve ever had.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 23:15 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
3. Far Cry 4 (PS4)
4. Transistor (PS4)
5. Valiant Hearts (PS4).
6. Heir (Browser?)
7. COUNTER Spy (PS4).

8. Apothena (PS4). Very Good. It's definitely Metrovania. It's all God of War. It's Myth. It's all sorts of lovely stuff.

It's platforming Greek god smashing great. The campaign is really good. Why? Cause it does different stuff init? Lots of new areas, new villains, puzzles, enemies, traps, underwater stuff, some stuff using a Wind Waker map, some stuff with stuff. Impatient like? Get on with the campaign it's 7 hours of good. Or you can stick around and find stuff: new weapons, hidden stuff, hidden people, stories, notes revealing the locations of more stuff. More, more, MOAR.

Games ain't all ain't killing folk are they? WELL THIS ONE IS. Fuck Gods up. All of them. Punch their faces off. Bash their heads in. Gods just destroyed your entire planet. FUCK EM UP THEN. It's like God of War 1 but with platforming and this strange (but thankfully very subtle) way that the game is being projected into stone. I kinda liked it and it suited the 'cave drawings' art style. Plus it never once bothered me, so we'll done whoever thought about doing something different like that.

Anyway, as far as free games go, you gotta say this is a solid 8 or 9. EXCEPT IT AINT. Cause it crashed 3 times in 8 hours and I got stuck in a bug that meant I had to revert to an earlier save (it saves often so I lost about 2 minutes, no biggie). BUT STILL I ain't very fucking happy about it. It's a bloody Playstation 4 and 3 time - THREE TIMES - it just packed up, said fuck you, and asked me if I wanted to send an error report. Not good enough.

Back down to 7/10 you go. Still well worth playing though. I kinda smashed through it cause it was so ace and I ain't been playing much lately so, y'know, musta kept me entertained.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 23:58 
Excellent Member

I signed up for PS+ a few hours too late to get that for free which I'm annoyed at myself about as I really fancy it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:57 
Paws for thought

Well, I finally have one to add here.
1. Danganronpa. Whatever the subtitle is.
Well, maybe. It's a story more than a game. (which I don't see as a negative) Although I do seem to have the bears disappointed noise. Which probably isn't good.

Reply to topic  [ 589 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next