Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Evil Within
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:18 
Hibernating Druid

Life is too short for shit games ;)

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:22 

DLC out today! 10 euritos. I don't need more of this right now, though, I have a massive list of games to play.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:57 
Excellent Member

RE4 was absolutely brilliant. As opposed to RE5 and RE6 it managed to deliver a really creepy atmosphere just like RE1 did at its time.
Had RE4 for the PS2 and PS3 and played it to death. One thing I didn't like that much was the island level where you had to fight your way through uncountable numbers of funny-looking, Las Plagas-infected terrorists until you encountered the first of those......what were they called again?.....respirators, no, regenerators. I'm quite tempted to go for it on Steam right now.......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:52 
Excellent Member

Damn, the PC version makes me go all woozy after only ten minutes of playing. Also, doesn't seem to be easy to get the hang of the mouse and keyboard controls when you're used to a PS controller.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:37 

I played it with an Xbox 360 pad. I would definitely recommend getting one of those if you are planning on doing more PC gaming.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 13:38 
Excellent Member

Yeah, the keyboard/mouse controls are way too weird. I might perhaps get used to them after one more decade of playing and they somehow get the job done, but an xbox or PS pad is far better suited for this type of game. Only the other day I saw a cheapo PS pad for PC use and thought to myself "nah, don't really need one of those".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 19:27 
Bad Girl

Moar DLC?

Apparently it concludes the woman's story from the first DLC and is due 21 April.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/the_evil_ ... il_21.html

BUT WAIT!

MOAR DLC?

Apparently one of the main guys - guy with box on head - gets his own DLC afterwards. A-Maze.

I don't know about you lot but if I've finished Bloodbourne by the time the third DLC comes out I'll probably be ready for some more excellent The (Resident) Evil Within. Cause it's fab.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 20:57 
Bad Girl

I forgot to mention!

PSN Easter sale - season pass for all 3 DLCs is £8! EIGHT quid. Each of the DLCs is selling for £7. EACH.

I don't know about you fannies but if you're awesome and like playing proper video games that are proper awesome and then fancied playing some more of the same proper awesome video games, but maybe not now but when you fancy it later after you've clocked Bloodborne, then I'd suggest you get this season pass at a reet cheep preece. Price. Cheap. I can spell really.

Advert is over.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 22:51 
Bad Girl

The 2nd DLC is out now, so it seems an ideal spot to delve into the DLC which I purchased with the season pass. All 3 DLC's for £8. Did you get it when it was on sale? No. Then you're a loon.

I've played an hour and 15 minutes and it's all about the sneaky stealth so far as you're pursued by this woman with a light house on her head. Oh, and her head is an old style submariners helmet. And she wears high heels. Cause, y'know. I don't know. Anyway, it's pretty cool at the moment. No shooting just scene setting and weird stuff going on. Me'likey. Did I mention it's Resident Evil much. It still is.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 22:56 
Bad Girl

Here's a short clip of a bit I did.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 22:40 
Bad Girl

Finished in 2 hours 46 minutes.

It was o-kkk in the end. It tried something different (there's no shooting just shining your torch) but it was a bit less fun because stealth alone is always a bit shit really, init. It's got a few rudimentary puzzles too, but who gives a shit. Shine torch at this. Shine torch at that. Meh.

If probably feel a bit hard done by if I'd purchased just that episode for £6.99. It just ain't worth £6.99 for less than 3 hours game. Fortunately I didn't.

Like that rapping guy* says "Onto the next one".

*Jay-Z by the way. No, hang on, actually it was Swizz Beats.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:55 
Excellent Member

Quote from the EG review of the DLC:

Quote:
Save points take the form of a comfy leather sofa and a cat. Sit down, stroke the kitty and your progress is recorded.

That almost makes me want to play it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 13:57 
Bad Girl

It's not half as good as that makes it sound. For starters, there's no "stroking the cat" it's just a lengthy animation that plays whilst you're frustratingly waiting to save your game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 22:09 

Killjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 14:47 
Bad Girl

DLC 2: The Assignment finished.

Better than the first DLC I'd say. Linear throughout and yes the stealth is crap and yes it's got a lot of stealth in it but it does start getting better once it gives you a shotgun with a lengthy reload time and says "Shoot this lot, aye?" Oh, and they'll rush you two at a time. I enjoyed it though, but then again I seriously rate The Evil Within since it's a terrific video game.

Problems: linear, stealth, it's more story, actually, it's mainly story, and if you couldn't care less about the story then you'll probably be fighting thorough it to get to the exciting bits, a boss fight at the end.

Good bits: Looks nice enough, does a decent job of aping Resi 4 still, the shooting bits are good, the sound effects and music are real good, some nice enemy models, a new scary character from the first DLC, adds to the story and explains some too and even has a mysterious Möbius evil corp inc - damn evil corporations are bloody everywhere - what else? Erm, I don't know actually, it's interesting but, fun enough and I was happy to play more Evil Within since The Evil Within has a great deal of Awesome Within.

Once again, on its own, I'd be a bit disappointed having paid £7 for 2 hours and 41 minutes of this but since I paid £8 and have now had almost 6 hours playtime for 2 DLCs I'm super happy. Chuffed, even. That season pass was awesome penny saving goodness. AND I still get to play the last DLC which, I'm told, puts you as one of the main bosses from the game Box Head Guy (might not be his real name), which sounds pretty interesting if nothing else.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 14:51 
Bad Girl

Interesting New Game+ for both DLCs that I've discovered: Kurayami mode - it's the same game but in complete darkness. All you have is your flashlight to guide you through. I'm not bothering with it, but it's a nice inclusion.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 15:21 
Bad Girl

Rock Paper Shotgun loves The Evil Within.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10 ... il-within/

But that's not why I'm posting this. Has anyone seen that Resident Evil 4 footage with the Hooked Man? Man alive, early Resi 4 looked dreadful. Blimey.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 15:23 
Bad Girl

And if you're too lazy to scroll down, here's that footage. Wowzers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 18:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It is a decade old.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 18:40 
Bad Girl

Fixed cameras; dead babies; shonky shooting. We could have been playing that, dontchaknow.

Anyway, I've never seen it before (maybe you have) but it was quite interesting to see how Resi 4 started.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:14 
Bad Girl

DLC: The Executioner - finished.

Time taken 54 minutes.

Which is kinda amusing as I've just been reading IGN's review of it and they said the run time is about 3 hours. No. Fucking. Way. I'm calling bullshit on that since no matter how terrible you are as a gamer you'll never get 3 hours out of it. By illustration, once I'd completed it I noticed that there was an extra room unlocked so I delved back in to have a look since it looked like it might have been an alternative ending. Anyway, it wasn't, so I mucked about with se extra challenge rooms and defeated all the bosses but the last one. Time taken: 30 minutes. Thirty minutes. Including loading times and everything, and mucking around in two challenge rooms and the extra room. Thirty minutes. Three hours my arse.

So if you're interested this DLC here it is:

It's a first person "Condemned"-style brawler.

You heard me. You play box head on a mini quest to rescue his daughter. He needs to kill everyone to ensure her safety cause, well, who knows, cause it makes a cool game init. Plus it's something different at the very least.

So off you go with giant hammer to dispatch 7 bosses in 7 arenas.

That's it. Besides some roaming between boss fight, there's not a lot of space between fights just roaming about although you can do a little of that and save your game, upgrade your weapons, smash barrels (natch), and pick up letters from your daughter along the way.

Bad news: you're kinda overpowered so you can dispatch enemies fairly easily, the bosses are mostly cheap and there's running in and smashing their face in with your giant hammer will usually get the job done quick-sharp. Wade in, take damage, swing swing and eventually it'll be deadid.

Fighting is kinda visceral but it's not interesting enough. You've got about 4 moves which doesn't make for an interesting experience. Bash, running bash, throw and an execution move. The other weapons do a decent job of keeping it interesting but they can only be used so many times before you need to buy more ammo or whatever. Chainsaw requires fuel, you can only get a few dynamite sticks, floor traps (from the main game and are suitably ace), and the sword needs, um, why can I only use this for 10 blows again? Oh, because it degrades or something... This seems like a missed opportunity to me. Why not let the player use different tools for as long as they want? Just reduce the strength of each tool and let the player swap on the fly since the in-game menu is so easy to use to switch between them. For the majority of the game I was bashing with impunity since I didn't feel the need to switch to a weapon that would arbitrarily disappear after I used it more than a couple of times. I was saving those weapons for the big fight that never came since the last fight is solely about using environmental objects to dispatch the enemy and all of the weapons are useless by this time

There are some other bosses with environmental items that need to be used to defeat that boss - number 2 requires you to use a chain gun, the last one requires you to drop spike traps on his head, the fifth throws cars at you that you hit with your hammer to throw back. It's interesting that the second boss is probably the most challenging fight on pure skill alone.

That is, until you unlock the rocket launcher after the third fight. Suddenly if you need an easy way out the rocket launcher mashes the bosses health bars and leaves them stunned for more attacks. Every single boss (apart from the last) melts before the power of the rocket launcher. It's so ridiculously overpowered that I really do question the purpose of giving it to you before the mid-point. 2 rockets are enough for most bosses (and it comes with two) but then you can upgrade to six and never have to worry about facing a boss again.

The story, what little there is, is alright but when you see the form of the final boss you know how it's going to end. And you actually get a quite nice end screen after it all too. I was quite surprised. But if you read the IGN review you'll be expecting something to tug on the heart strings which will never come. It's good but since the whole premise is told through a series of increasingly bland bits of paper you find it loses its charm. There are ghosts of your missing girl but she only acts as a mechanism to lead you to the next area or show you which boss door you can tackle next.

So was it worth it?

It's reasonably good disposable fun I suppose (let's face it I've all but played it twice and upgraded all the weapons which I almost never do) but it has a wealth of problems and is nothing more than a curio in a trilogy of experimental DLC.

As an overall package of DLC for the £8 I spent it's been really good. Each DLC has its problems but each tries something completely different from the main game and must be applauded for that. The last DLC is a strange oddity that doesn't fit the rest of the game but if this has allowed the team to play with something different and learn for a future outing then so be it. There's far too little creativity in main stream gaming at the minute and it's amazing to see this fab little game take a risk.

I think that's it for The Evil Within and I'm torn between keeping it forever and trading it in. Oh hell, it's totally deserved to be kept forever. Well done The Evil Within, you made it.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 17:51 
Hibernating Druid

It's pap.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 0:04 
Bad Girl

If you play less than a tenth of a game you don't get to be flippant about its merits. Sez me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 20:22 
Bad Girl

You can now turn off the black bars!

Quote:
Download the June Title Update to enable the full screen option on PS4, Xbox One, PS3 and Xbox 360.

And for the moaners amongst you...

Quote:
The update has also rebalanced Casual difficulty to be more forgiving to players by offering increased amounts of ammo and introducing some adjustments to the health bar.

The update is out now on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PC, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation 4.

There's no reason for not playing this now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 20:30 
Paws for thought

Yes there is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 21:39 
Bad Girl

Name three and a half of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 15:35 
Paws for thought

Saturnalian wrote:
Name three and a half of them.

1) I've yet to play a Resident Evil game I like.
2) Indeed, the entire horror game genre thing is something that I'm not a fan of. A section of a game (like, say the asylum levels in thief) - good. An entire game, not so much.
3) It stole Zardoz stars
4) I have other thin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 20:04 
Bad Girl

Quote:
1) I've yet to play a Resident Evil game I like.

Hang about, I didn't realise you were a Resident Evil 4 hater. What's your problem with that?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 20:26 
Paws for thought

The tedious insta-death QTEs, for a start.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 21:18 
Bad Girl

And for desert?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 22:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The president's daughter doesn't get nekkid.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 18:35 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
There's some decent set pieces too: ...fighting a savage dog until you manage to get away then your mate says "I've dropped my glasses" and you have to go back

Hah! That was one of my favourite and ludicrously hilarious moments in gaming.

I’ve got The Evil Within 2 by the way.

It’s an open world shooter... for some reason. Nah, it’s not that open world but there’s plenty of places to wander into when you don’t need to. I’m not sure I like that. If you’ve got things to show me then line them up and show them to me one at a time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 18:37 
UltraMod

I couldn't get past the first monster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 18:39 
Bad Girl

Lonewolves wrote:

Did you really play the first one?

Also, how’s your Resi 4 playthrough going?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 18:59 
UltraMod

Satsuma wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Did you really play the first one?

Also, how’s your Resi 4 playthrough going?

I did play the first one. I couldn't get past the first monster where you hide in lockers. Tbf it was at the very end of the PS3's life and once I got a PS4 I never revisited it.

I got past the first village on RE4, saved it and then never went back.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 19:22 
Bad Girl

You make me sad: another classic you’ve ditched...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 19:35 
UltraMod

Satsuma wrote:

RE4? I'm sure it was good at the time. I just can't get on with the controls these days.

Anyway, it'd eat into our PUBG time and you don't want that, surely?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:41 
Paws for thought

Lonewolves wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

RE4? I'm sure it was good at the time. I just can't get on with the controls these days.

:this:

Although the qte boulder was what really killed it for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:08 
Excellent Painter

Mr Dave wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

:this:

Although the qte boulder was what really killed it for me.

I've never liked the controls in RE games. I've bought many in the past (I think RE4 was the last) and never played them for more than a few hours. The first time I didn't know, by RE4 I was still falling for the bullshit "seminal" game horseshit the mags were spewing. To me, it always felt like all the dramatic tension in the game was contrived by the fact that your character had all the grace of trying to steer a three wheeled shopping trolley with 8 bags of cement through a place dreamt up by Lovecraft.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:18 

I really don't remember really struggling with the controls in RE4. I actually completed the game and I don't have any patience at all for games that annoy me in any way.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:58 
Comfortably Dumb

markg wrote:
I really don't remember really struggling with the controls in RE4. I actually completed the game and I don't have any patience at all for games that annoy me in any way.

:this: RE4 was the first game of the series that I actually enjoyed. Prior to that, I always felt that the best RE-style game was actually Eternal Darkness, which felt like Resident Evil but with a better control system.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:14 
UltraMod

I loved the ReREmake on PS4 however, mainly because they fixed the tank controls. If they remake RE4 to use RE5 controls I'll lap it up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:11 

markg wrote:

If I'm remembering rightly (I'm probably not) RE4 was the first game I played where the view was third person, but instead of the camera being right behind the player, it was offset so it was more over their shoulder.

I can't play games with that camera set up - it makes me feel like the character's not running in the direction I'm telling them to run. They are, obviously, but it "feels" wrong.

I have the same problem with the Arkham games.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 14:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I thought RE4 was the first game with the option to play it without tank controls?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 16:43 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
I thought RE4 was the first game with the option to play it without tank controls?

Yeah but it had turn left and right and move forward and backward on the left stick, rather than strafe.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 18:15 
Bad Girl

Coincidentally with me deciding to play this, The Evil Within 2, only today, gets a patch that adds in a first person mode.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 18:24 
UltraMod

Is the first game any good then? I might give it a whirl as it's super cheap these days.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 18:30 
Bad Girl

Nah, it’s not for you. The first hour of so is quite difficult with some instadeaths that put people off. There’s a large emphasis on stealth too that might not be your bag. But once you get past that and the game starts giving you guns and ammo (it turns into a straight 3rd person shooter towards the end) it’s brilliant though. It’s got a decent length campaign too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 18:38 
UltraMod

I love stealth games. Manhunt, Hitman etc.

It was the instadeaths at the start that put me off initially.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 19:49 
Bad Girl

It’s not really a stealth game though: It’s a shooter with stealth elements up to a certain point.

I’ve still got my copy if you want to borrow it? Save you some pennies.

Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next