Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Roger Hargreaves Is Dead
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 18:36 

Roger Hargreaves wrote great books.

My favourite of his extensive literary output is:

I think it carries an important lesson for us all.

Anyway... I was browsing Amazon for unicorns, because it is nearly Christmas and I have been very good, and just look at what I found:

I am sure that you share my shock and dismay. This work is not canon.

This is listed on various sites as having been published in 2008 and written by Roger Hargreaves, who died in 1988, 20 years earlier. We all know it wasn't written by him. It is a sham.

:boots: :boots: :boots: :boots:

Post subject: Re: Roger Hargreaves Is Dead
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 19:23 
Unpossible!

We have that book!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 19:25 
Unpossible!

Inside page

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 20:14 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I always thought that his wife took over when he passed away but now I think about it, I could be mistaken as that seems to be his son.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 20:46 

DavPaz wrote:
Inside page

Slightly disappointed, Davpaz, but thankful for your honesty. (
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
:kiss:
)

I just find it odd that it says 'Roger Hargreaves' on the front. Oddly, I once thought that all the Mr Men books had been written by his wife and published under the old fashioned married name 'Mrs Roger Hargreaves', but like TheVision, I seem to have just been confused :S

So, Davpaz, who wins: Little Miss Stubborn, or the unicorn? Or is the real winner here children's literature?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 21:10 
Unpossible!

According to Wiki
Quote:
After Hargreaves's death in 1988, his son Adam Hargreaves began writing and illustrating new stories, including four characters that his father had developed before his death.

Those four new characters include the very commercial Little Miss Christmas, Little Miss Princess and Little Miss Birthday, I suspect.

The colourful editions are at least proper stories. Some of the older books are really frustrating to read as a bedtime story as they end so badly. Little Miss Curious is the worst I've come across. And Little Miss Lucky is frigging harrowing :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:46 
Excellent Member

Maybe Roger Hargreaves had done a bit of that Unicorn book before he died and therefore is was just about legal to say the book was by him?

Don't really see the need to bring out new books though, these things are kids books so will sell well with each generation of kids. I guess marketing and keeping current with stuff like Ipad apps is all that should be needed to keep a good income stream. Not sure when royalties stop after a writers death though, I think with music its 50 years after the death of the writer??

My son is Gruffalo mad at the moment, have all the Mr Men books but he is not that bothered as yet

EDIT is says on Wikipedia that his wife sold the rights to the Mr Men for £28 Million in 2004 so I guess the company that bought them has the rights to milk the concept as much as they want. They have since been flogged again to Sanrio Global who do Hello Kitty.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 20:08 
Excellent Member

Also a new set of books

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton/mr-folk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:53 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

I am quite taken with these reviews of his literature...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahjewell/am ... woM4pbeddb

The following is the analysis of "Mr Messy"

Quote:
“If ‘1984’ or ‘The Trial’ had been a children’s book, Mr Messy would be it. No literary character has ever been so fully and categorically obliterated by the forces of social control. Hargreaves may well pay homage to Kafka and Orwell in this work, but he also goes beyond them.
We meet Mr Messy - a man whose entire day-to-day existence is the undiluted expression of his individuality. His very untidiness is a metaphor for his blissful and unselfconscious disregard for the Social Order. Yes, there are times when he himself is a victim of this individuality - as when he trips over a brush he has left on his garden path - but he goes through life with a smile on his face.
That is, until a chance meeting with Mr Neat and Mr Tidy - the archetypal men in suits. They set about a merciless programme of social engineering and indoctrination that we are left in no doubt is in flagrant violation of his free will. ‘But I like being messy’ he protests as they anonymize both his home and his person with their relentless cleaning activity, a symbolism thinly veiled.
This process is so thorough that by the end of it he is unrecognizable - a homogenized pink blob, no longer truly himself (that vibrant Pollock-like scribble of before). He smiles the smile of a brainwashed automaton, blandly accepting what he has been given no agency to question or refuse. It is in this very smile that the sheer horror of what we have seen to occur is at its most acute.
Somewhere behind this blank expression though is a latent anger - a trace of self-knowledge as to what he once was - in the barbed observation he makes to Neat and Tidy that they have even deprived him of his name.
The book ends with a dry reminder from Hargreaves that just as with the secret police in some totalitarian regime, our own small expressions of uniqueness and volition may also result in a visit from these sinister suited agents.”

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:16 
Sleepyhead

To be fair, a lot of the Mr Men and little Miss books are very sinister.

Onnie got the full set of Little Miss books as a present and we've been going through them one by one. Some very dubious morals in there!

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]