Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Far Cry 4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:55 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
Apart from the co-op stuff all the reviews Made FC4 sound just like FC3 with new levels so I'm not sure what else you were expecting?

A bit of respect off you, m'laddy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 13:01 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Apart from the co-op stuff all the reviews Made FC4 sound just like FC3 with new levels so I'm not sure what else you were expecting?

A bit of respect off you, m'laddy.

That shit gots to be earned.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 13:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

:DD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 22:56 
Bad Girl

I've been spending a bit more time off from this. In fact, I've not done much gaming. Dammit, I hate myself. Anyway, I quite enjoyed a mission or two tonight once the game had started giving me access to the little helicopter things. I could nip about without the tedious driving and even discovered that I could bypass the tedious climbing up the radio antennas by parking my helicopter right next to the radio that you have to destroy to capture the tower. I rulez.

What else did I do: Well, I shot a honey badger in the face, I shot a pack of wolves in the face (each), I shot a lion in the face, I shot a rhino in the face, I shot an elephant in the face. I didn't fathom which gave me more weapon slots and it turned out that I had only shot one of the animals I needed for additional slots. Irritating. And it was so easy, and hell, it's even necessary, to kill animals that I couldn't help but get reet fucked off with the game. Why must I kill these animals for any reason? So I stopped. I was all, like, "man, what is this teaching the kids today?" Cause I talk like that in real life. I'm real cool, daddy-o. (I don't talk like that though).

So anyway, I shot some guys in the face to change things up a bit. I shot them in the face with a pistol, I shot them in the face with a shotgun, I shot them in the face with an assault rifle or two. It tried to get me to use a bow but it was too hard to shoot people in the face. So I shot them in the face with a mounted machine gun.

So, yeah, that's what I've been doing. How'd you like those apples?

Oh and an eagle attacked me. In the face. Natch.

Then it picked up a massive pig, flew off into the sky and dropped it onto the road 50 yards from me. It was the damnest thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 23:34 
Bad Girl

Capturing camps.

Sat's top tip of the day:

1) Park technical outside camp.
2) Get on mounted machine gun.
3) knock on doors with machine gun fire.
4) Use infinite bullets on faces.
5) Rinse.
6) Repeat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:47 
Gogmagog

This is super awesome! Like the the time I:

Slunk up to camp, and saw a tiger really close. So I hid, and it walked into the base. Panic ensued, so I threw some molotov cocktails in, to make sure the tiger stayed inside. A short time later, it came barrelling out on fire so I killed it, then mopped up.

Saw a camp over the other side of a river. I sniper rifled an alarm out but missed a shot so they saw me and got angry. So I switched too the grenade launcher and " BOOM BOOM BOOM!he got sex appeal" as BVThree once sang.

Wing suited from a cliff because it is fun. I saw a death convoy below, so opened the parachute and grenade launcher ed them FOR GREAT JUSTICE. I landed near one of my outposts, casually exploded an enemy truck and cashed in my cool.

I will use the share button later. it's superb fun! And the weapons seem balanced, my load out is currently grenade launcher, sniper rifle, bow and assault rifle but I might swap the rifle out for a shotgun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 14:04 
Decapodian

I've only just started on this, but it does look like a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 23:14 
Gogmagog

Dropping in!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 0:15 
Excellent Member

Fuck eagles. Also: fuck the dingo type dog things (which were also massive aresholes in FC3). I can't wait until I get enough weapon slots for a shotgun just so I can get some shit done without having to constantly run away from fucking wildlife.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:08 
Gogmagog

The fashion week quests are fabulous, darlings. No, really, they are quite fun.

I have changed my favoured load out. It is now :

grenade launcher,rpg, assault rifle and elephant gun. I might swap the elephant gun out for a flame thrower, though.

I tried attacking a castle by landing a gyrocopter on the roof and sniping but it didn't end too well so a rethink is needed involving a truck and a grand entrance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:48 

No bow? No silenced sniper rifle? You're letting the best in life pass you by.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:51 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

SORRY I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF AWESOME EXPLOSIONS AND LOOK SOME ONE iS ON FIRE OVER THERE!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:53 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I occasionally use them for bases, true but I often miss with the bow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:55 

MaliA wrote:
I occasionally use them for bases, true but I'm bad at games and life

FTFY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:55 

Having said that, if you really do want the absolutely maximum in mayhem I strongly recommend the Buzzsaw signature LMG. It's so good it's like a cheat code.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 

Yeah, you could pretty much use that and nothing else.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Having said that, if you really do want the absolutely maximum in mayhem I strongly recommend the Buzzsaw signature LMG. It's so good it's like a cheat code.

:this:
It's a fully automatic, massive-clip elephant gun.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:58 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

:this:
It's a fully automatic, massive-clip elephant gun.

Oh. My.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:03 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I occasionally use them for bases, true but I'm bad at games and life

FTFY

that's not a terribly unfair truth.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:19 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I now have a bow, although it's fucking useless against rampaging animals, but I haven't managed the sniper rifle as yet. Getting a silenced one of them is pretty much when the game really begins for me, everything up to that point is really just a very long intro.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 14:40 
Bad Girl

Here's me doing the hardest fortress in Far Cry 4.

I spend 95% in a cave.

It's kinda boring.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 15:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That's exactly what I did! It was a piece of piss.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:57 
Gogmagog

I tried an LMG last night, but it wasn't As fun as I had hoped

Bad point: Sometimes I am not sure where I am meant to go next. Eg, should I storm the first castle or not? Am I meant to?Are the crossed swords the main quests?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:35 
Excellent Member

Got to the point last night of doing The Sleeping Saints mission (the one where Pagan Min's troops are trying to blow up some statues) and fucking hell! There only seemed to be one way up to the mission start point which has you grappling up the edge of a cliff and plonking yourself right in front of the entire fucking army, who proceed to go mental. This also means a five minute timer kicking off which gives you that amount of time to get all the way up through a multi-level arena and stop the explosives. You don't have enough time to work your way up through the massive number of troops properly--especially when you factor in the snipers--so you're really left with no choice but to sprint through the level constantly battering the 'heal' button and hoping for the best. Once you get the timer sorted you're faced with all the troops you just ran past plus two fucking waves of reinforcements! Oh, and near the end a fucking helicopter gunship turns up for shits and giggles.

Having stopped the timer I actually managed the troops themselves not too badly simply by running away from the main part of the level and finding an alternative way up that gave me some cover, but I don't habitually carry a rocket launcher with me so had no idea what to do about the helicopter. In the end I made the most incredibly lucky shot with my sniper rifle on the helicopter pilot and had the incredibly gratifying experience of watching the fucking thing drop out of the sky and explode, but it really was pure luck on my part. Indeed my entire experience with that mission was lucky break after lucky break and if things had gone slightly differently I'd have been totally screwed.

The combination of large arena filled with troops, snipers at the top, a time limit making it impossible to properly work the area, two waves of reinforcements and then a helicopter is just a ludicrous challenge to stack against the player I think. The helicopter especially is a problematic because there's nothing to warn you to kit up with explosive weapons so you could easily end up totally fucked for taking it down. As I say, I actually ended up making it through pretty easily but as the dust settled and I thought it through it struck me as a pretty unfair and unexpected difficulty spike. I'd be interested to know what everyone else's experience was with that particular mission.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:53 
Gogmagog

hid on the first "step" and sniper rifled to two or three guards on the scaffold. Used grenade launcher to clear the next leek up from me and assault rifled the few that came down. Ran forward with molotov cocktails and grenade launcher and made it up to the top where I assault rifled a few. Shat bricks when the helicopter came but grenade launcher ed it. Mopped up with grenade launcher. It took me several goes though. You ate right it is a bit of a spike.

To summarise: KA BOOM!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 14:38 
Gogmagog

Biggest gripes:

Which mission is next?
Shangai la bit I did was a dull
Bait mechanic could be better
crafting a syringe also injects it
barbie house simulator
heavies are overused and a bit op pushing player to match weapons
animals are on occasion too ready to attack

Nothing terrible, mind you. The pros are a massively more

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:41 
Gogmagog

Sometimes there are really well designed levels. you have to sneak through and not be seen. Get in and out like a ghost. Silently escape. Or, load up on healing potions and leg it. Seriously, "legging it through a rugby team of enemies" is a viable strategy Rather than doing what it wants you to.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:12 
Excellent Member

'Sprinting through like a fucking maniac and rattling the action button to trigger the end sequence' is surely the only sensible way to take on the Shangri-la levels? The first one was interesting and different but seriously, fuck those levels and their (seemingly) randomly respawning enemies.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:27 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
'Sprinting through like a fucking maniac and rattling the action button to trigger the end sequence' is surely the only sensible way to take on the Shangri-la levels? The first one was interesting and different but seriously, fuck those levels and their (seemingly) randomly respawning enemies.

Oh, yes.I have tried to avoid those as much as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:31 
Excellent Member

I've got one more of them to go and apparently it's a fucking boss fight. Joy! Ugh.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:03 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
I've got one more of them to go and apparently it's a fucking boss fight. Joy! Ugh.

I have done two and found some demons in the wild. are demons flammable?

22 hours in and I have still not unlocked North Tibet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:54 
Excellent Member

I've just about finished this having
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
killed Pagan Min
last night but I see there's allegedly still another campaign mission to do so I assume there's some kind of twist in the tail. One of my major takeaways is that there's genuinely just far to much stuff crammed into the game. I did a fuckton of side missions but my completion % is still only somewhere in the 70s and when I saw how much was still outstanding on the Progress screen before the final push I realised I didn't have the interest level left to complete it all. Which is a massive shame because I really enjoy going for the collectibles and clearing down the map and all that good stuff; but the sheer volume of stuff required to be done means that with 45 hours on the clock I really want to move onto something else and not spend another fuck knows how long doing the same stuff over and over again. I'm all for getting your money's worth but it feels like developers these days really don't know when enough is enough and all it means is that the lasting impression in your mind of an otherwise brilliant game can be soured right at the end.

And in relation to my last comment here: I tried the final Shangri-la level last night and it can so utterly get to fuck. A boss fight with no clear idea what you're doing in an arena with randomly spawning enemies with a set design purposely intended to make stuff difficult to see. Yeah, see: no.

Also I'm a bit annoyed because I only had one final Kyrat Fashion Week quest to do to complete all my upgrades and the fucking thing didn't show up on the map. I presume that's just a glitch because all the other ones did which is a really pain in the ass.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 13:28 
Excellent Member

I stumbled across this SPOILER FILLED thing while looking for a video of the GTA V gravity gun mod:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
At the start of the game Pagan Min tells you to stay where you are and try out the Crab Rangoon while he deals with something and, of course, the first thing you do is run off with The Golden Path. At the normal end of the game he very specifically references those events and says that if you'd just waited for him to come back all of this could've been avoided. Well, brilliantly, it turns out he's a man of his word. During that initial section if you just sit still for 13 minutes he does actually come back and then helicopter you straight up to his palace to deal with your mum's ashes and end the game. He even quickly explains the full story of your family in a single conversation as your walk out of the helicopter rather than taking the entire length of the game to do it. That's such a good easter egg and play on the usual tropes. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 14:14 
EvilTrousers

I finished this. I really enjoyed it but it was a bit easy in the main.

The Buzzsaw is probably the bestest gun I have used in any game for a while though. An LMG with insane accuracy and damage and it reloaded quick. WIN.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 14:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The Buzzsaw was so good it was pretty much cheating.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:26 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

i did a silenced load out with stealthy results.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 22:47 
Gogmagog

Finished the campaign I think. Superb.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You think? It's very obvious when you do, what with the credits and everything.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:05 
Gogmagog

After that it said I had another castle to topple. So I have been doodling about in the NoddyCopter ripping up posters and collecting masks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:07 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
You think? It's very obvious when you do, what with the credits and everything.

I seem to remember not being 100% sure whether I'd finished it or not either; though I'm struggling to remember exactly why I was confused now. For some reason though I definitely suspected there was more to come after completing Min's compound.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:17 
Gogmagog

Good points:

Pagan Min - superb character, well written and acted
Bases - Good variety encouraging different tactics
Lighthouses - Good puzzles
Mission giving characters were good, too.
Missions were decently tricky in places

Bad points :
Shangai la levels were not as fun as they could have been
Hunter enemies under used
Heavy enemies over used
Helicopters were a pain until buzzsaw
Buzzsaw

Overall, it is super great good and I would recommend it. I look forward to the next one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You appear to have missed "Kyrat" from your "good points" list.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:29 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
You appear to have missed "Kyrat" from your "good points" list.

Oh yes, the map was superb.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:30 
Rude Belittler

It is very obvious when you finish... you have a nice sit down chat with Pagan Min.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:31 
Excellent Member

The major down point for me was the fucking ludicrous amount of collectibles littering the map. I like have pointless stuff to collect after the end game but if you've got too much of it you know you'll never pick everything up so you just stop giving a shit entirely and FC4 went way, way past that point. FC3 had a much better balance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pundabaya wrote:
It is very obvious when you finish... you have a nice sit down chat with Pagan Min.

It's rather obvious when you finish because it says "FIN" on the screen and plays The Clash.

Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next