Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ] 
 Post subject: Facebook crazies
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

For those of us who have a sinister facebook account, and who are swamped with baby and pet pictures on a regular basis, there is usually one person on your facebook that you just see the status update and think "really?".

Who is your most crazy facebook friend? Not including beexers...

Mine is a girl I used to go to school with, who is obsessed with John Barrowman. Every single post is about him in some fashion or other, including multiple pictures of her stalking him at stage back entrances.
Her latest triumph is to travel to Germany for a convention, where she managed to go out to the same nightclub as him. She also has a photo of herself from the convention, which is her, being held upside down by John, while Eve Myles looks on in fake confusion...

It's an impressive display of a genuine stalker, both disturbing and admirable at the same time.

Who is your facebook crazy?

Post subject: Re: Facebook crazies
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:54 
Awesome
Yes

It used to be me, I think.

I deleted my Facebook profile though.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:56 
Bad Girl

Oi, pet pictures are cute!

Oh god, I'm one of 'those' people aren't I? *shoots self*

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:58 
ugvm'er at heart...

Saturnalian wrote:
Oi, pet pictures are cute!

Oh god, I'm one of 'those' people aren't I? *shoots self*

The occasional pet picture is ok, one a day not so much.
I can forgive the baby people somewhat, as they have nothing else in their lives anymore :D

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:00 
Ready for action

Oh, I have a few. There is the girl I used to go to school with who can't see a day go by without some sort of cause or campaign. Her latest is that the head teacher at her kids school has had the council put a no stopping area directly in front of the school. She thinks this is ridiculous because the surrounding area is very congested at pick up and drop off times and now the kids have further to walk, potentially involving crossing a busy road. She has demanded meetings with the school board, head teacher and councillors about it and started a petition insisting on a car park for the school. Every single time I see her mention it I have to stop myself from posting on her status and telling her to park her bloody car on the street and get out and walk with her kids if she's so concerned for their safety. It would probably be good for them considering her last campaign was about a change to the lunch menu that saw the removal of chips of a Wednesday. She thought it was somehow impinging on their human rights to not be able to have chips for lunch every day of the week.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:51 
Sleepyhead

Mine is TFF, obv.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:51 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Curiosity wrote:
Mine is TFF, obv.

Isn't that every ones?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:59 
Sleepyhead

KovacsC wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Mine is TFF, obv.

Isn't that every ones?

True dat.

Actually, my real mental friend is *works it out* my wife's brother's son's mother.

She's very nice, but she believes in absolutely every single form of alternative therapy in the world, an continually posts about how cranial manipulation can cure asthma, autism, cancer, flu, AIDS, etc. And how reflected energy in the air is a conspiracy to make us all dumb. Etc etc.

I really need to remove her, as one night I'm going to be drunk and annoyed and tell her to stop being a fuckwit.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:59 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

*enters thread*

*backs quietly out of thread*

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:04 
ugvm'er at heart...

Here you go, I know you were all dying to see.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:11 
a creature of fathomless grace

Well that was predictable *deletes you all from Facebook*

Actually. No. If it drives you crazy then... *post even MORE stuff on Facebook*

My mental friend is a girl from school who is into everything vaguely spiritual - I actually set her to not appear in my newsfeed because I just couldn't take it anymore. There were about 15 'inspirational' posters and pictures and posts a day, all together in one batch as she clearly logs in once a day, spams the world, then comes back to do it all again at the same time tomorrow. She must have some magical powers though, because despite changing the settings, her posts STILL appear in my newsfeed *gives up*.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:11 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I'm sure I'd have some, if it were not for the unsubscribe button. How I love that button.

However, the one I can't really block that that is my brother's wife, who, lets be honest, is neither a wordsmith nor a scholar in english grammar, and seems to go out of her way to make any status incomprehensible. She also frequently makes passive aggressive (or even, just normal) status updates without any point of reference so you are trying to work out what the relate to, then 30 minutes later deletes them. Also frequently disappears absolutely from facebook and then reappears with a photo of a niece/nephew referring to them in such terms that some of her other friends are under the impression that it is actually her child, causing confusion, a strop and another disappearance.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:19 
Gogmagog

Trooper wrote:

This is a superb photo.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I don't have any, I don't think.

Mrs Grim... does - she has the barmaid at the pub she went to who updated her status one day with "Engagement is OFF! He fucked my sister!"

Excellent :)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:47 
Gogmagog

I have, on occasion, been asked why I'm not friends with them on facebook anymore. Now, MrsA gets asked why I'm not friends with them on facebook, anymore. it's quite tiresome. Person A was part of a cohort collectively known as "The in-laws" and Person B spent a lot of her time asking why I had not 'liked' her picture/status/something every day. my life is quieter now. mrsA's is not.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:53 
Gogmagog

Oh, anything to do with "I fucking love science".

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:07 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The majority of them are pretty good though. Or at least, the ones people tend to share are.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:09 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Anything shared from "I Was feeling naughty so I swapped my girlfriends tampons with fireworks" or whatever the fuck it is tends to be as shit as the name.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Actually, I kinda disagree with the premise of this thread entirely. Facebook provides good tools to be able to filter what you want to see and what you don't want to see (not least the *remove friend* button!), and I rather like the fact that you get to see a side of people that you wouldn't through direct interaction. If nothing else it generally provides for a good source of amusement. Everybody knows a few crazy people (and, as the saying goes, if you don't then it's probably you). If everybody was the same it would be a terribly dull world.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:16 
Gogmagog

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Anything shared from "I Was feeling naughty so I swapped my girlfriends tampons with fireworks" or whatever the fuck it is tends to be as shit as the name.

Swapping your girlfriend's tampons with fireworks would, ultimately, lead to a fucking dull 4th July.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:18 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Cras wrote:
If everybody was the same it would be a terribly dull world.

Deleted and blocked.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:30 
ugvm'er at heart...

Cras wrote:
Actually, I kinda disagree with the premise of this thread entirely. Facebook provides good tools to be able to filter what you want to see and what you don't want to see (not least the *remove friend* button!), and I rather like the fact that you get to see a side of people that you wouldn't through direct interaction. If nothing else it generally provides for a good source of amusement. Everybody knows a few crazy people (and, as the saying goes, if you don't then it's probably you). If everybody was the same it would be a terribly dull world.

Hey, I was just asking for people to share their crazies, not that people should block them or anything. I've only ever blocked one person on facebook and that was due to terminal dullness, not crazyness.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:32 
Chinny chin chin

Trooper wrote:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Point.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:35 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
The majority of them are pretty good though. Or at least, the ones people tend to share are.

The ones I have seen are along the lines of "Scientists should be heroes" and "creationism, LOL" with quotes purporting to be from such scientific luminaries as Tim minchin about evolution, which only serve, to my mind, to push forward a certain arrogance, and superiority, of their viewpoint compared to others. It annoys me, as scientists should not be feted as heroes, but people who thought "Oh, I wonder how that works", and set about it in a way that means they will get to within a confidence level of the answer. Science is also a collaborative effort, and the area as a whole should be, I think, viewed with some pride, but not in this way. No one idol. The other thing that irritates me is that it seems to exist to knock religion too much, as if the two cannot co-exist peacefully, which links back to the arrogance and superiority of the thing. it's a peculiar little bugbear of mine.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:45 

Until I deleted him, mine was an old school friend and work colleague. To be fair, he always was a little on the odd side, but on Facebook took to posting ridiculous consipiracy theory laden shite from the US, despite him having never been over there as far as I can tell. Normally it was all the same crap about 9/11 being an inside job and how the recent spate of public shootings over there have actually been perpertrated by doped-up Government agents in order to instill fear in the populace and take their guns - the usual shit. It was quite amusing for a time. More recently though he started sharing posts from Nick Griffin and the BNP - and it was at this point that I decided I'd had quite enough and deleted the loon.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:51 

MaliA wrote:
Cras wrote:

The ones I have seen are along the lines of "Scientists should be heroes" and "creationism, LOL" with quotes purporting to be from such scientific luminaries as Tim minchin about evolution, which only serve, to my mind, to push forward a certain arrogance, and superiority, of their viewpoint compared to others. It annoys me, as scientists should not be feted as heroes, but people who thought "Oh, I wonder how that works", and set about it in a way that means they will get to within a confidence level of the answer. Science is also a collaborative effort, and the area as a whole should be, I think, viewed with some pride, but not in this way. No one idol. The other thing that irritates me is that it seems to exist to knock religion too much, as if the two cannot co-exist peacefully, which links back to the arrogance and superiority of the thing. it's a peculiar little bugbear of mine.

I would never call myself a particularly religious type, but stuff like that pisses me off too. Anything anyone shares from Richard Dawkins and his cronies particularly gets my goat. It comes across as this horifically smug and superior attitude to have over others, effectively deeming people stupid because they dare hold religious beliefs.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:52 
Unpossible!

I deleted Myp and Riles after I was publically ridiculed in a Google Chat video.

:'(

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 13:22 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

DavPaz wrote:
I deleted Myp and Riles after I was publically ridiculed in a Google Chat video.

Publicly Loved.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 13:33 
Paws for thought

Hmm, the only thing I have currently that stands out is the primary school friend who wants everyone to know he's recently acquired a Japanese girlfriend. However, I'm not sure if he's under the illusion that the only person who can read what he's written is his girlfriend or not. It could get amusing and/or cringeworthy if it gets any more personal.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 13:55 
Unpossible!

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Publicly Loved.

Tough Loved ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 13:58 
Chinny chin chin

Mr Dave wrote:
he's recently acquired a Japanese girlfriend.

It's remarkably hard to find a picture of a bath filled with sand, so you'll just have to imagine I posted one.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 14:58 
Excellent Member

I don’t have crazies as such, but I’m always surprised by what people post. Members of my family document every waking moment of their babies existence, another women who was a year older than me at school lost her daughter aged 19 to a rare heart condition.

She is working her grief out on Facebook. Part of me thinks good luck and do what you need to do, the other part of me thinks why would you do that, the audience for this is largely people like me that she won’t have seen for years.

Other people just put every trivial update to their lives such as what pub there were in, what they had for dinner, what song they listened to last. My wife couldn’t give a shit about most of that so I would never put it on Facebook as 90% of my friends are people I never see from one year to the next

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 17:28 
Worst

Trooper wrote:

Tombstone!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 17:54 

I had a Facebook account for 3 or 4 weeks in early 2009. I only created an account as I had that free trip to the European Parliament coming up, and wanted to coordinate travel arrangements with the other UK people who were going as they didn't use email. On meeting the group, I found all but one of them to be such appallingly cunt-ish people that I deleted my account the day after I came back.

So, yeah, I've avoided all FB crazies by virtue of avoiding the website completely.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 19:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Putting the pub I am in has informed me that other people I know are in the same place two or three times, though.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 21:47 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

DavPaz wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Publicly Loved.

Tough Loved ;)

I've now taken the time out to verify that you did indeed do this.

Prick.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 22:02 
Unpossible!

Loved.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 22:05 
Unpossible!

In my defence, I was confused as to your motives at the time. Still am, in fact

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 22:09 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Motives? Myp and I?

Its ridiculous enough for me to try and work out what we're doing at any given moment in time, let alone to try and work out a reasoning for it :D

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 22:09 
Unpossible!

:D

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:56 

Zio wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Cras wrote:

I would never call myself a particularly religious type, but stuff like that pisses me off too. Anything anyone shares from Richard Dawkins and his cronies particularly gets my goat. It comes across as this horifically smug and superior attitude to have over others, effectively deeming people stupid because they dare hold religious beliefs.

Whereas religion is mostly all about respecting the beliefs of others, right? People who bang on about anything too much are tedious but I think it would take a lot of aggressive atheists to redress that fucking balance.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:37 
Excellent Member

eh my crasiest is a girl Grim... also knows so she might be on here as well so I'm saying nothing ...

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 14:05 

markg wrote:
Whereas religion is mostly all about respecting the beliefs of others, right? People who bang on about anything too much are tedious but I think it would take a lot of aggressive atheists to redress that fucking balance.

I'm fortunate in that none of my Facebook friends feel the need to post anything particuarly religious, including the CofE vicar I'm friends with. However, quite a few of the atheists in my friends list do see the need to show their smug superiority off though.

But yeah, in general, you're completely right.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 14:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

miki wrote:
eh my crasiest is a girl Grim... also knows so she might be on here as well so I'm saying nothing ...

Really? Who's that?

/points at 'pm' button

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 18:18 

I find Facebook odd in that people you know but wouldn't class as good friends (some work colleagues, etc) post things that make you wonder what planet they grew up on that they assume that everyone has the same views as they do.

Anyway, not quite the same thing, but I don't get the 'black people this', 'white people that' humour that you sometimes see as hashtags on Twitter and Facebook, so I usually mute the hashtags or block the comedy accounts that people link to on Facebook so that I don't see it.

I was kind of surprised at Facebook's suggestion of who to block, though...
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 18.10.03.png

:S :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:11 

:DD

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]