Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 568 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gamersgate
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:00 
UltraMod

:DD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:16 

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:19 
UltraMod

Amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:28 

American Nervoso wrote:
Amazing.

Indeed. Veteran posters who still don't know how to attach an image without adding text.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:34 
UltraMod

lasermink wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
Amazing.

Indeed. Veteran posters who still don't know how to attach an image without adding text.

You can't place them inline from the mobile skin.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:36 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

:this:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:43 

Oh. That's odd. Not even by manually typing the tags? (I realize this would be a faff, so not meant as a criticism of posters).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:33 
UltraMod

Here's EBG on his favourite MRA site.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:38 
Legendary Boogeyman

American Nervoso wrote:
Here's EBG on his favourite MRA site.

Fuck off, you idiotic twat.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:50 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:56 
UltraMod

Attachment:
B0tajdSCcAA3_qZ.jpg large.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 13:09 
Legendary Boogeyman

I will leave this thread with an image of my own, entitled 'The academic definition of circlejerk':

Attachment:
the-academic-definition-of-circlejerk.jpg

You're both terribly brave boys, it brings a tear to my eye. :smug:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 13:51 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 13:59 
UltraMod

Goddamn you. You beat me to it with the Jaws one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 14:01 
Sleepyhead

American Nervoso wrote:
Goddamn you. You beat me to it with the Jaws one.

Me too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 14:21 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 15:12 

So now this is happening: http://itsaboutethicsingamesjournalism.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 16:38 
Sleepyhead

Here's a pro-GG one for balance

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 17:01 
Terrible Human Being

Attachment:
the-academic-definition-of-ethics.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 17:11 
Sleepyhead

:DD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 18:09 

Holy shit, it's MrPSB!

Hey MrPSB: I met Garrett this week. Touch me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 18:28 
Terrible Human Being

Garrett's involvement in Gamergate amused me greatly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 18:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I love that EBG's argument is basically that because everyone agrees that GG is a bad thing, it must therefore be a good thing, without any requirement to apply knowledge or critical thinking to the subject matter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 18:37 
Gogmagog

CONTINUE THE SWEEP FOR IT TO bE EFFECTIVE CONTINUE THE SWEEP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 18:37 

I think that's what EBG thinks critical thinking is.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 19:06 
Legendary Boogeyman

Cras wrote:
I love that EBG's argument is basically that because everyone agrees that GG is a bad thing, it must therefore be a good thing, without any requirement to apply knowledge or critical thinking to the subject matter.

Craster, you know I have never said anything like that. 'It must therefore be a good thing'? My commentary on this thread from the start has been more on the behaviour of how easily and blindly you criticise an entire movement of people without any critical thinking. I made it very clear from the first post I was talking in general terms, and repeated that fact ad nauseum. Ordinarily anyone making sweeping generalisations about any group of people would swiftly be rounded upon for their simplistic and unintellectual representation of a granular debate. Except in this circumstance you consider those generalisations perfectly OK (because you think so), and can't mount any kind of defence against it except 'they're clearly evils'.

You confuse this as support for GamerGate. I've read little about it, I've typed nothing in support of their stated aims, views, or actions of any of them. It's nothing to do with me. I've been forever talking a meta level above the actual subject matter and instead have questioned you all on your idiotically hypocritical moral application to equivalent propositions, without any concession of your bias. All the while you try to maintain as though you're just being perfectly logical in a subject that really is just as simple as two groups of people having opposing views. The point of amusement for me is the absolute lack of respect and decorum that is exhibited by those that think they're on the side of right - whichever side you happen to think that is.

You're all pathetic, weasily, circle-jerking children who are so anti-GG that you consider any criticism of your smug, self-righteous, impotent backslapping in here to be tactic support for the opposing side. Strawmanning reductionism that you're trying to pretend doesn't exist.

It's little wonder this forum is doomed to negative population growth. Eventually it'll be the same half-dozen of you posting nothing but tired old in-jokes back and forth at each other.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 19:20 
Gogmagog

What I have never been able to work out is, despite being brighter than a box of rocks but dimmer than a light bulb is what the flying he'll people mean when they say "meta-" out of a "We looked at the data from 160 papers and.." context. Community is "meta", "don't use meta data in mafia" ( and don't sit near Trooper, he nicks your crisps on the night phase). I dunno.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 19:29 
Legendary Boogeyman

Evidently you're not the only one. Meta is data about data. Like information about a database (e.g. the database is 10mb in size), rather than the actual data inside it. Or in this context, the way a person approaches an argument, rather than the argument itself.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 19:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

What you're missing, EBG, in your self-professed ignorance of the subject matter, is that those of us commenting have been following this in great detail. You're ignoring this, and have assumed that it's a circle jerk rather than a really reasoned condemnation of one of the worst public movements in the last thirty years.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 19:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Also, you haven't even once posted a single valid criticism of anti-GG that isn't 'I don't like that you all agree'.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 19:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Like-minded people in 'continued social association' shocker.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 19:41 
Legendary Boogeyman

Cras wrote:
You're ignoring this

I'm not selectively ignoring anything - you are. For example: An individual allegedly doxes someone and it becomes 'GameGate doxes woman'. In so many other arguments we would acknowledge that the actions of just one person in an incident wouldn't be seen as representative despite alleging to operate under that banner. This is why I make the muslim/extremism comparison because it fits perfectly, especially since you characterise it as 'the worst public movement of the last 30 years'.

The fact it might be broadly representative (I'm not weighing in on it either way), is irrelevant since your logic to coming to that conclusion is inherently flawed. You've decided it based on your existing belief that all participants are evil and that alone is sufficient justification for believing whatever you want the narrative to be. It's that pathetically poor line of reasoning that I'm criticising, and your attempts to insinuate me as a supporter of GG for that criticism merely demonstrate my very point.

Nothing excuses you stating that I believe something I didn't approach saying - it's so fundamentally dishonest and I can't fathom what motivated you to say it. Your credibility, and the quality of your opinion as far as I'm concerned, is in the toilet. If I had any smidgen of respect for you (unlike blatant twats like myp and Gaywood), it's resoundingly dead now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 19:48 

MaliA wrote:
What I have never been able to work out is, despite being brighter than a box of rocks but dimmer than a light bulb is what the flying he'll people mean when they say "meta-" out of a "We looked at the data from 160 papers and.." context. Community is "meta", "don't use meta data in mafia" ( and don't sit near Trooper, he nicks your crisps on the night phase). I dunno.

"Meta" means "higher" or "beyond." So a meta-paper is one that takes as its data source not raw research but other papers. In a computing context, metadata is data about data; so if your data is a CSV file on your hard drive then its associated metadata might include the file name, the date it was created, and who can read it. Metadata in Mafia would be stuff like post times correlated with when somone was posting on the forum in a blind game. Then there's meta-humour, including all sorts of numerous techniques like breaking the fourth wall, using a punchline from a different joke, and various other means to play with the audience's expectations and preconceptions. That's the sense in your Community reference.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:00 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

"Meta" means "higher" or "beyond." So a meta-paper is one that takes as its data source not raw research but other papers. In a computing context, metadata is data about data; so if your data is a CSV file on your hard drive then its associated metadata might include the file name, the date it was created, and who can read it. Metadata in Mafia would be stuff like post times correlated with when somone was posting on the forum in a blind game. Then there's meta-humour, including all sorts of numerous techniques like breaking the fourth wall, using a punchline from a different joke, and various other means to play with the audience's expectations and preconceptions. That's the sense in your Community reference.

So, why, on Saturday, could we not have eaten all the cherries, save the one we put in our drink and won by default?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:01 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Seriously: thank you. It has been bugging g me for ages. And plants do mostly respire at night, I had to go back and check. I should know more but I know flies better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
I'm not weighing in on it either way

And this is the entire issue. You not weighing in on it means the rest of us, who've paid close attention to the whole damned thing and know full well that is really is representative, can happily know that you're bizarrely trying to have some sort of meta-argument (ooh, topical) which is utterly idiotic. Put some fucking effort in, learn something about what you're actually trying to discuss, then we can talk.

Also, hi. I've trod in stuff that I've given more of a crap about than your level of respect for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:12 
Sleepyhead

I can't believe you guys are talking so negatively about the Ebola virus. Some viruses are lovely, and yet you circle jerk about the Ebola one being mean!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:18 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Also, just because everyone you know who's been infected with ebola has haemorrhaged from every orifice then died, it stands to reason that there's nice ebola, right?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:23 
Gogmagog

Hey! Some of us have ex girlfriends out in Nigeria fighting Ebola!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:29 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I assumed that Ebola was some Yorkshire variant of illness until I realized I'd never heard of Bola.

Don't eat the fish. It's fucking awful.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:37 

Cras wrote:

You're all pathetic, weasily, circle-jerking children who are so anti-GG that you consider any criticism of your smug, self-righteous, impotent backslapping in here to be tactic support for the opposing side. Strawmanning reductionism that you're trying to pretend doesn't exist.

It's little wonder this forum is doomed to negative population growth. Eventually it'll be the same half-dozen of you posting nothing but tired old in-jokes back and forth at each other.

I agree with EBG, this forum needs more bigots and misogynists.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:40 
Legendary Boogeyman

Cras wrote:
Also, hi. I've trod in stuff that I've given more of a crap about than your level of respect for me.

Then we'll leave this there then. I think you're an intellectually devoid arsehole so any further discussion is pointless. You can rant and rave about this issue until it dies its natural death and you can possibly retain some wheezing sense of delusion that you added to its cause.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:41 

MaliA wrote:

You have ex-girlfriends everywhere, doing everything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

They all seem to put an inordinate amount of effort to not be in the same country as MaliA anymore. I wonder why.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 21:06 
Gogmagog

Trooper wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

They all seem to put an inordinate amount of effort to not be in the same country as MaliA anymore. I wonder why.

IT is a bit like Pacific rim but mores awesomez

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 21:29 
Bad Girl

Gamergate is a social movement? What? I ain't been following it but this sounds ridiculous.

GaymerGayte, more like, aye? AMIRITE?

(I'm assuming it's not about homophobia for the purpose of that little joke)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 21:30 
Sitting balls-back folder

Well this was a fun thread.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 22:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Cras wrote:

Then we'll leave this there then. I think you're an intellectually devoid arsehole so any further discussion is pointless. You can rant and rave about this issue until it dies its natural death and you can possibly retain some wheezing sense of delusion that you added to its cause.

Wonderful. Hopefully when it does die a death fewer people will be threatening to rape women they don't know via the shroud of anonymity. Which might be nice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 22:35 
Participant in dramatic games

I liked that post by that american football player.

Wondered if it said something that it was written by a man of that profession

Reply to topic  [ 568 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next