Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 568 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gamersgate
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 19:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Also, you haven't even once posted a single valid criticism of anti-GG that isn't 'I don't like that you all agree'.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 19:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Like-minded people in 'continued social association' shocker.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 19:41 
Legendary Boogeyman

Cras wrote:
You're ignoring this

I'm not selectively ignoring anything - you are. For example: An individual allegedly doxes someone and it becomes 'GameGate doxes woman'. In so many other arguments we would acknowledge that the actions of just one person in an incident wouldn't be seen as representative despite alleging to operate under that banner. This is why I make the muslim/extremism comparison because it fits perfectly, especially since you characterise it as 'the worst public movement of the last 30 years'.

The fact it might be broadly representative (I'm not weighing in on it either way), is irrelevant since your logic to coming to that conclusion is inherently flawed. You've decided it based on your existing belief that all participants are evil and that alone is sufficient justification for believing whatever you want the narrative to be. It's that pathetically poor line of reasoning that I'm criticising, and your attempts to insinuate me as a supporter of GG for that criticism merely demonstrate my very point.

Nothing excuses you stating that I believe something I didn't approach saying - it's so fundamentally dishonest and I can't fathom what motivated you to say it. Your credibility, and the quality of your opinion as far as I'm concerned, is in the toilet. If I had any smidgen of respect for you (unlike blatant twats like myp and Gaywood), it's resoundingly dead now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 19:48 

MaliA wrote:
What I have never been able to work out is, despite being brighter than a box of rocks but dimmer than a light bulb is what the flying he'll people mean when they say "meta-" out of a "We looked at the data from 160 papers and.." context. Community is "meta", "don't use meta data in mafia" ( and don't sit near Trooper, he nicks your crisps on the night phase). I dunno.

"Meta" means "higher" or "beyond." So a meta-paper is one that takes as its data source not raw research but other papers. In a computing context, metadata is data about data; so if your data is a CSV file on your hard drive then its associated metadata might include the file name, the date it was created, and who can read it. Metadata in Mafia would be stuff like post times correlated with when somone was posting on the forum in a blind game. Then there's meta-humour, including all sorts of numerous techniques like breaking the fourth wall, using a punchline from a different joke, and various other means to play with the audience's expectations and preconceptions. That's the sense in your Community reference.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:00 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:
What I have never been able to work out is, despite being brighter than a box of rocks but dimmer than a light bulb is what the flying he'll people mean when they say "meta-" out of a "We looked at the data from 160 papers and.." context. Community is "meta", "don't use meta data in mafia" ( and don't sit near Trooper, he nicks your crisps on the night phase). I dunno.

"Meta" means "higher" or "beyond." So a meta-paper is one that takes as its data source not raw research but other papers. In a computing context, metadata is data about data; so if your data is a CSV file on your hard drive then its associated metadata might include the file name, the date it was created, and who can read it. Metadata in Mafia would be stuff like post times correlated with when somone was posting on the forum in a blind game. Then there's meta-humour, including all sorts of numerous techniques like breaking the fourth wall, using a punchline from a different joke, and various other means to play with the audience's expectations and preconceptions. That's the sense in your Community reference.

So, why, on Saturday, could we not have eaten all the cherries, save the one we put in our drink and won by default?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:01 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Seriously: thank you. It has been bugging g me for ages. And plants do mostly respire at night, I had to go back and check. I should know more but I know flies better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
I'm not weighing in on it either way

And this is the entire issue. You not weighing in on it means the rest of us, who've paid close attention to the whole damned thing and know full well that is really is representative, can happily know that you're bizarrely trying to have some sort of meta-argument (ooh, topical) which is utterly idiotic. Put some fucking effort in, learn something about what you're actually trying to discuss, then we can talk.

Also, hi. I've trod in stuff that I've given more of a crap about than your level of respect for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:12 
Sleepyhead

I can't believe you guys are talking so negatively about the Ebola virus. Some viruses are lovely, and yet you circle jerk about the Ebola one being mean!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:18 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Also, just because everyone you know who's been infected with ebola has haemorrhaged from every orifice then died, it stands to reason that there's nice ebola, right?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:23 
Gogmagog

Hey! Some of us have ex girlfriends out in Nigeria fighting Ebola!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:29 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I assumed that Ebola was some Yorkshire variant of illness until I realized I'd never heard of Bola.

Don't eat the fish. It's fucking awful.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:37 

Cras wrote:
I love that EBG's argument is basically that because everyone agrees that GG is a bad thing, it must therefore be a good thing, without any requirement to apply knowledge or critical thinking to the subject matter.

You're all pathetic, weasily, circle-jerking children who are so anti-GG that you consider any criticism of your smug, self-righteous, impotent backslapping in here to be tactic support for the opposing side. Strawmanning reductionism that you're trying to pretend doesn't exist.

It's little wonder this forum is doomed to negative population growth. Eventually it'll be the same half-dozen of you posting nothing but tired old in-jokes back and forth at each other.

I agree with EBG, this forum needs more bigots and misogynists.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:40 
Legendary Boogeyman

Cras wrote:
Also, hi. I've trod in stuff that I've given more of a crap about than your level of respect for me.

Then we'll leave this there then. I think you're an intellectually devoid arsehole so any further discussion is pointless. You can rant and rave about this issue until it dies its natural death and you can possibly retain some wheezing sense of delusion that you added to its cause.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:41 

MaliA wrote:

You have ex-girlfriends everywhere, doing everything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

They all seem to put an inordinate amount of effort to not be in the same country as MaliA anymore. I wonder why.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 21:06 
Gogmagog

Trooper wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

They all seem to put an inordinate amount of effort to not be in the same country as MaliA anymore. I wonder why.

IT is a bit like Pacific rim but mores awesomez

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 21:29 
Bad Girl

Gamergate is a social movement? What? I ain't been following it but this sounds ridiculous.

GaymerGayte, more like, aye? AMIRITE?

(I'm assuming it's not about homophobia for the purpose of that little joke)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 21:30 
Sitting balls-back folder

Well this was a fun thread.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 22:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Cras wrote:

Then we'll leave this there then. I think you're an intellectually devoid arsehole so any further discussion is pointless. You can rant and rave about this issue until it dies its natural death and you can possibly retain some wheezing sense of delusion that you added to its cause.

Wonderful. Hopefully when it does die a death fewer people will be threatening to rape women they don't know via the shroud of anonymity. Which might be nice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 22:35 
Participant in dramatic games

I liked that post by that american football player.

Wondered if it said something that it was written by a man of that profession

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 23:20 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

romanista wrote:
Wondered if it said something that it was written by a man of that profession

He's not a very typical NFL player and has written a lot of really positive things in the past

This is one of his posts about same sex marriage : http://deadspin.com/5941348/they-wont-m ... porting-it

He's been on The Nerdist podcast and will also be on the new season of Tabletop

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 0:22 
Isn't that lovely?

I think the fact that no one has (what's the expression?) doxed the 6ft plus American Football player, but someone has doxed Felica Day (five ft not much) says as much as can be said about the gamergate crap as can be said. Especially when Felicia barely said anything and the American football bloke really laid into them.

Malc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:07 
Unpossible!

What the fuck is doxxing?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:09 
Unpossible!

Never mind, I googled it
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:15 
UltraMod

Critical thinking: adopting a default contrary position out of ignorance, in the face of all logic and reason. (Colloquial: Gnomesing)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:06 
Legendary Boogeyman

Playground humour at its finest, and you actually think your blind bias counts as 'logic and reason'. You contest Gaywood as the biggest twat on this forum.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:18 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Seriously? you can say that while spitting out your own special unique brand of bile and vitriol?

You have come into a topic, state you know nothing about it but also have made the decision that the people who have been following the topic closely are all ignorant fuckwits and are all wrong. When people have tried to explain our point you lash out like a angry child.

You are coming across as a very unpleasant ignorant person. Yes I know, you will now list all the instances of people being mean to you in the thread, but you have to take some responsibility for that as you have barged into a thread and repeatedly derided peoples opinions with no back up other than your special version of Critical thinking, whilst using zero data from the actual events we are discussing.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:23 
Legendary Boogeyman

For the last time you fucking, fucking moron. I am not, not have I ever sought to debate the merits of GamerGate. I have made no attempt to. I said that from the first post, but that hasn't stopped every detractor strawmanning me as a supporter. Having then tediously clarified my position, people like Craster and the myp have continued to insist otherwise. It's trolling or idiotic, pick one.

The quality of 'debate' here is non-existent. You simply want an echo chamber to wax self-righteous smarmery on a subject where you believe you're in the right. The debatable facts of the matter and my knowledge of them are irrelevant. Your conduct in discussing it speaks volumes, and it's that which I've criticised. The fact that I'm continuing to be lambasted as ignorant on the subject which I'm materially not discussing as a way of attempting to nullify my point about your behaviour simply proves it.

Your inability to differentiate between something so simplistic as conduct vs. subject just makes you stupid, but is more likely merely group protectionism against your narrow views that are not robust to even the slightest criticism.

'But you don't know anything about GamerGate! You're ignorant! Telling us we're acting like feeble-minded children doesn't apply because we've read up about it!'.

Even in this place of left-wing idiots, I've never encountered such stupidity.

I'm off for the weekend now, but please do try hard to make a new EBG in-joke in the safety of my absence, and be sure to continuously reference it in every other thread and haw-haw about how jolly clever you all think you are.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Malc wrote:
I think the fact that no one has (what's the expression?) doxed the 6ft plus American Football player, but someone has doxed Felica Day (five ft not much) says as much as can be said about the gamergate crap as can be said.

I'm not sure it does. Day specifically said in her post that she was worried about her address getting into the public domain and that it's currently hard to get. The comment said "5 seconds of google shows her address is (censored) and her personal email is (censored again). It's public domain information, hardly secret." I checked at the time, and the commenter was right*. Putting the address in the comment was a dick move, but it could have been someone not thinking about what they were doing.

*interestingly, her address is now harder to find online because the search results all pull up the news stories about this instead :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:07 

Anita Sarkeesian, Brianna Wu, and Zoe Quinn have all been repeatedly doxxed and threatened over the last six weeks. Two of those three have had to leave their homes for their own safety. Quinn has actually left America entirely and is in the UK at the moment. As far as I can see, that hasn't happened to any men, or any games journalists either. I'd say that constitutes a pattern.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:31 
Rude Belittler

Irony: Anita Sarkeesian's work on misogynistic gaming tropes was ethical jornalism.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:31 

For the last time you fucking, fucking moron. I am not, not have I ever sought to debate the merits of GamerGate. I have made no attempt to. I said that from the first post, but that hasn't stopped every detractor strawmanning me as a supporter. Having then tediously clarified my position, people like Craster and the myp have continued to insist otherwise. It's trolling or idiotic, pick one.

The quality of 'debate' here is non-existent. You simply want an echo chamber to wax self-righteous smarmery on a subject where you believe you're in the right. The debatable facts of the matter and my knowledge of them are irrelevant. Your conduct in discussing it speaks volumes, and it's that which I've criticised. The fact that I'm continuing to be lambasted as ignorant on the subject which I'm materially not discussing as a way of attempting to nullify my point about your behaviour simply proves it.

Your inability to differentiate between something so simplistic as conduct vs. subject just makes you stupid, but is more likely merely group protectionism against your narrow views that are not robust to even the slightest criticism.

'But you don't know anything about GamerGate! You're ignorant! Telling us we're acting like feeble-minded children doesn't apply because we've read up about it!'.

Even in this place of left-wing idiots, I've never encountered such stupidity.

I'm off for the weekend now, but please do try hard to make a new EBG in-joke in the safety of my absence, and be sure to continuously reference it in every other thread and haw-haw about how jolly clever you all think you are.

We understand you just fine. You came into this thread, not to discuss its subject, but to call everyone idiots, your rationale being that it is not reasonable to suppose that everyone involved in GamerGate is evil, just because some are. No one has actually suggested that they are, just that they are naïve to align themselves with a movement of so little credibility, so you are the one arguing the strawman.

Your comparison with Islam doesn't work, precisely because of the fact that GamerGate had no credibility from the outset. You cannot try to be "philosophical" about this point, it just doesn't work. It is pretty obvious, though, that this is just an excuse to be a cunt anyway.

And now you have the audacity to suggest that it's everyone else who is trolling. You really are a hateful piece of donkey's excrement.

I hope you realize that in almost any other forum of this type you would have been banned a long time ago for plastering your vile, hate-filled rants all over the place.

Why are you still here? Don't you have anywhere else to go?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:45 

Pundabaya wrote:
Irony: Anita Sarkeesian's work on misogynistic gaming tropes was ethical jornalism.

Very much so, as she collected money from readers via direct contributions and hence was not beholden to adverts placed via AAA games publishers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:08 
Paws for thought

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:

Very much so, as she collected money from readers via direct contributions and hence was not beholden to adverts placed via AAA games publishers.

It's just a shame she managed to do it with as much bias showing as Stu Campbell and his witterings on Scottish independence.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:15 
Rude Belittler

Her bias is not an issue, as long as it is declared (which it was) All journalism is subjective. (yes even "fact based" journalism, someone has to decide which facts are most important, see "Englishman dies in natural disaster. 40,000 brown people too" style stories.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:44 
Paws for thought

It's a matter of degree of bias, which makes it easy to discount. That she talks such bollocks makes it easy for the average person to ignore her and the more mental to attack her.

What she chose to say could've been interesting, but instead was a butchering of 'facts' that just got tiring fairly quickly and to my mind failed to make much of a case for much beyond she wasn't exactly the best figurehead to rally behind.

:shrug:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:47 
UltraMod

So she deserves death and rape threats because you don't think she's very good at her job?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:48 
UltraMod

I will rally behind any woman who is threatened with being murdered because she has an opinion on something.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:50 
Gogmagog

American Nervoso wrote:
I will rally behind any woman who is threatened with being murdered because she has an opinion on something.

Ann Coulter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:51 

American Nervoso wrote:
So she deserves death and rape threats because you don't think she's very good at her job?

Erm, no? What do I win?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 13:06 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:

Ann Coulter

I don't agree with her politics, but she shouldn't be subjected to death threats purely because she is a woman.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 13:08 

American Nervoso wrote:

Whereas men are fair game? I can do this straw man thing too, see?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 13:26 
UltraMod

lasermink wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:

Whereas men are fair game? I can do this straw man thing too, see?

Heh. The fact that they're targeted purely because they're female is the issue. A man saying or doing exactly the same thing has been largely left alone during this conflict.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 16:51 
Caution Live Bear.

Quote:
I assumed that Ebola was some Yorkshire variant of illness until I realized I'd never heard of Bola.
There you go.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 17:56 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Wow this got interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 18:07 
Hello Hello Hello

KovacsC wrote:
Wow this got interesting.

Depressing, more like.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 18:56 
UltraMod

http://www.newsweek.com/gamergate-about ... how-279736

Turns out it's not about ethics in games journalism.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 19:20 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Dammit, an excellent article completely debunking the idea that GG has anything to do with anything other than hatred and mysogeny. And I'm honour bound to hate it because it thinks data is a plural noun rather than a mass noun.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 19:26 
Paws for thought

American Nervoso wrote:

Find anywherre where I said that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 22:15 
UltraMod

Mr Dave wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:

Find anywherre where I said that.

It was implied by the omission of the opposite.

Reply to topic  [ 568 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next