And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Celebs hacked
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/j ... cture-leak

So apparently iCloud has been hacked and lots of naked photos of 'slebs have been posted online.

Link above is sfw, things it links to aren't.

Those interested in the pictures could do worse than search Google for "the fappening".

Post subject: Re: iCloud hacked
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:15 
Awesome
Yes

Interesting that one of the people says that her photos were long since deleted.

Does that mean iCloud doesn't really delete stuff after you tell it to, or just her being dumb at what 'deleted' means.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:36 

Mary Winstead on Twitter: "To those of you looking at photos I took with my husband years ago in the privacy of our home, hope you feel great about yourselves."

She was then attacked for this, over and over, mostly from people saying it was her own fault, until she left Twitter.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:07 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

If I had any nudes appear, I'd laugh it off. We all look the same with no clothes on and I'd play that "I look pretty good in those pics"

Anyway... The internet is a horrible place isn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:09 
Awesome
Yes

TheVision wrote:
We all look the same with no clothes on

Objection!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:11 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Mr Russell wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Objection!

Ok, lets find out? You go first.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:12 
Awesome
Yes

TheVision wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Objection!

PM sent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:13 
Paws for thought

TheVision wrote:

For years, I've generally gone by the thought of don't put anything you'd care about being public knowledge on the internet as once it leaves your control, you'll likely never have control of it again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:20 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Mr Dave wrote:
TheVision wrote:

For years, I've generally gone by the thought of don't put anything you'd care about being public knowledge on the internet as once it leaves your control, you'll likely never have control of it again.

I agree but we're being told to rely on the cloud more and more these days and in my experience (setting up my parents iPad) a lot of people don't realize that their pictures are being uploaded.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:25 

Mr Dave wrote:

"If you didn't want to get burgled you shouldn't have gone on holiday."

"If you didn't want to get mugged you shouldn't have walked home."

"If you didn't want to get raped you shouldn't have gone out in such a short skirt."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:28 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Mr Russell wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Objection!

PM sent.

*checks PM* is it cold where you are then?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:32 
Awesome
Yes

TheVision wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Objection!

PM sent.

*checks PM* is it cold where you are then?

No... really warm :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:35 
Gogmagog

TheVision wrote:
If I had any nudes appear, I'd laugh it off. We all look the same with no clothes on and I'd play that "I look pretty good in those pics"

"thank fuck I was young and beautiful when those were taken"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:37 

Is this hack some sophisticated thing or is it more like a phone hacking type of deal?

People need to be more aware of security and use two-factor authentication where it's offered but the people who have taken the images are still the dickheads here.

If I got burgled after I'd gone on holiday and left the doors open then I'd be angry at the burglars and also at myself.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:40 

markg wrote:
Is this hack some sophisticated thing or is it more like a phone hacking type of deal?
Nobody knows yet. It appears to be quite widespread, if even half of the hackers list of alleged pictures is true. That hints at a hack of iCloud (either Photo Stream or the iOS backup service) rather than anyone targeting individual phones.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:41 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Isn't this more like you went on holiday after locking your new iLock front door locks, but it turned out you hadn't set up the UltraSuperLock system, which you didn't even know about, and therefore the burglars were able to pick the lock with a hair pin and a wire coat hanger, but now it's your fault anyway?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:50 
Sleepyhead

Having some photos backed up to a cloud service, that you then delete, only to have them turn up after a hack is pretty shabby from the service provider.

I can't lay a speck of blame on the people with the photos. It's really no different to someone breaking in and cloning your hard drive with those pics, or scanning actual prints.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:05 
ugvm'er at heart...

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
markg wrote:
Nobody knows yet. It appears to be quite widespread, if even half of the hackers list of alleged pictures is true. That hints at a hack of iCloud (either Photo Stream or the iOS backup service) rather than anyone targeting individual phones.

Is it not just the known "hack" which is if you have the email and password of an icloud account, you can then get access to the icloud backups, without the need to have any of the persons devices?

If it is more than that, then that really isn't very good for Apple at all! Especially a few days before the next Apple event.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

There's a lot of people (celebrity-people, not hacker-people) involved, so it doesn't seem likely that they got hold of individual emails and passwords (unless they've figured out some sort of scam).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:11 

Presumably iCloud has some sort of administrator set up, so if an administrator account was hacked (which you would hope would not be a trivial matter) that could feasibly let people in to any account they wish?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:12 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've just seen some of the pictures. I haven't a clue who any of the celebrities are apart from Victoria Justice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:23 

Grim... wrote:
There's a lot of people (celebrity-people, not hacker-people) involved, so it doesn't seem likely that they got hold of individual emails and passwords (unless they've figured out some sort of scam).

Or they're just trying credentials from some other service that was hacked.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:24 

For those who don't have it, this is a good reminder to set up 2FA on your Apple or Google account: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5570 https://www.google.com/landing/2step/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:08 
Paws for thought

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

"If you didn't want to get burgled you shouldn't have gone on holiday."

"If you didn't want to get mugged you shouldn't have walked home."

"If you didn't want to get raped you shouldn't have gone out in such a short skirt."

Well, yes. Control the risks you can, because some people will take advantage if you don't. Doesn't mean they shouldn't but you can't control them. Prevention being better than cure and that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 13:22 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mr Dave wrote:
Well, yes. Control the risks you can, because some people will take advantage if you don't. Doesn't mean they shouldn't but you can't control them. Prevention being better than cure and that.

Feminists would eat you alive if you disagreed on the third point there. The standard comeback is 'Don't teach women to avoid rape, teach men not to rape', because obviously, it's that simple.

I personally favour the analogy of walking around with money hanging out of your pocket. You typically acknowledge the risks of the society in which we live, unfortunate though they are, and it would be considered your fault for failing to mitigate them.

Now obviously that doesn't mean don't go out in a short skirt, Dave, but also don't get passed-out drunk, or leave your drinks unattended, or walk home alone, etc. You simply take actions to minimise the risks that inarguably exist.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 13:24 

https://github.com/hackappcom/ibrute

Quote:
It uses Find My Iphone service API, where bruteforce protection was not implemented. Password list was generated from top 500 RockYou leaked passwords, which satisfy appleID password policy. Before you start, make sure it's not illegal in your country.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 13:26 
Legendary Boogeyman

Incidentally if any of my cloud was compromised, I'd be really smarting that someone had access to my Hearthstone card list and a copy of my mailing label template. The bastards!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 13:27 
ugvm'er at heart...

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
https://github.com/hackappcom/ibrute

Quote:
It uses Find My Iphone service API, where bruteforce protection was not implemented. Password list was generated from top 500 RockYou leaked passwords, which satisfy appleID password policy. Before you start, make sure it's not illegal in your country.

Interesting, no bruteforce protection is a schoolboy error, for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 13:29 
Sleepyhead

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Feminists would eat you alive if you disagreed on the third point there. The standard comeback is 'Don't teach women to avoid rape, teach men not to rape', because obviously, it's that simple.

I personally favour the analogy of walking around with money hanging out of your pocket. You typically acknowledge the risks of the society in which we live, unfortunate though they are, and it would be considered your fault for failing to mitigate them.

Now obviously that doesn't mean don't go out in a short skirt, Dave, but also don't get passed-out drunk, or leave your drinks unattended, or walk home alone, etc. You simply take actions to minimise the risks that inarguably exist.

More rape occurs when the woman is sober. Surely they should be getting drunk instead?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 13:31 
Gogmagog

Curiosity wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

More rape occurs when the woman is sober. Surely they should be getting drunk instead?

With strangers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 13:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:

Um... Is that like saying "Most rape occurs when not listening to Whigfield on a stereo, so listen to Whigfield?"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 13:32 
ugvm'er at heart...

Curiosity wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Everyone should be constantly drunk, problem solved.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 13:37 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Um... Is that like saying "Most rape occurs when not listening to Whigfield on a stereo, so listen to Whigfield?"

Only if there was a concerted marketing effort to blame those getting raped on not listening to Whigfield.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 13:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Only if there was a concerted marketing effort to blame those getting raped on not listening to Whigfield.

I was thinking more about percentage vs total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 13:42 
Legendary Boogeyman

It's never your fault if you get robbed, but don't leave your door unlocked, is basically it. Just because the majority agree it shouldn't happen doesn't mean that it won't.

Clearly the solution here though is to only take nudes on non-connected devices, and store them on external encrypted media. That's totally what I've done I'd do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 13:57 
Excellent Member

Yes, an opportunistic thief is obviously so directly comparable to rapist. How about you leave your door unlocked and someone beats you half to death or murders you? Your fault, you were clearly asking for it.

I think the whole hacking thing is awful. The fact it was possible could've been highlighted in so many different ways but no, they choose to find photos attractive, female celebrities have uploaded and put them all over the Internet. It doesn't matter how hot you are, those photos are of private moments meant for the people you trust and love most in the world. Actors give so much of themselves in movies for everyone else's entertainment, they pay a high price for the fame that comes with excelling in their careers. The last thing they have left for themselves is what happens in their homes. Having those intimate moments spread around the world like that, with the defense of "well she was practically naked in xmen" or "she shouldn't have taken them" is frankly sickening. It is a terrible violation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 14:00 
Legendary Boogeyman

flis wrote:
you were clearly asking for it.

Phew. I'm glad I didn't say anything approaching that or I might have looked silly there.

Quote:
It is a terrible violation.

I don't think anyone here disagrees with this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 14:26 
Excellent Member

flis wrote:
you were clearly asking for it.

Phew. I'm glad I didn't say anything approaching that or I might have looked silly there.

Quote:
It is a terrible violation.

I don't think anyone here disagrees with this.

I didn't quote you or suggest you had, I referenced your analogy. However, the way you worded it, failure to acting in a mitigating way, was taken to mean there is blame with the victim in this case. And to further expand on my point, I don't believe an opportunistic thief, who arguably is a common occurrence in society, is in anyway comparable to a violent sex offender. You probably would expect to get robbed if you have money hanging out of your pocket; you do not go out expecting to raped if you wear a short skirt.

I didn't suggest anyone did disagree. I was voicing my opinion on it, not debating it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 14:27 
UltraMod

flis wrote:
I didn't quote you or suggest you had, I referenced your analogy. However, the way you worded it, failure to acting in a mitigating way, was taken to mean there is blame with the victim in this case. And to further expand on my point, I don't believe an opportunistic thief, who arguably is a common occurrence in society, is in anyway comparable to a violent sex offender. You probably would expect to get robbed if you have money hanging out of your pocket; you do not go out expecting to raped if you wear a short skirt.

I didn't suggest anyone did disagree. I was voicing my opinion on it, not debating it.

:luv:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 14:40 
Decapodian

Mr Dave wrote:
TheVision wrote:

There's a huge difference between posting something on Facebook or similar where it's essentially public, and using a supposedly secure cloud storage system like this though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 14:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
TheVision wrote:

There's a huge difference between posting something on Facebook or similar where it's essentially public, and using a supposedly secure cloud storage system like this though.

No there's not - that's the point. Assume anything you put on the Internet is visible to anyone and stays there forever.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 14:50 
Legendary Boogeyman

flis wrote:
You probably would expect to get robbed if you have money hanging out of your pocket; you do not go out expecting to raped if you wear a short skirt.

To comment is to debate.

I specifically said you shouldn't *not* go out in a short skirt, but should otherwise take precautions to mitigate your risks. It's quite the wilful leap to go from that to 'victim-blaming', as the feminists are so keen to say. But then it doesn't take much to warp a statement to mean whatever you want, if that's your intention.

I will rephase again for clarity: People shouldn't, but they will, so expect them to and avoid where possible. It might not be their fault but it would be stupid to be irreverent of the real risks that unquestionably exist.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 14:59 

Grim... wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
TheVision wrote:

No there's not - that's the point. Assume anything you put on the Internet is visible to anyone and stays there forever.

I think you need to understand that it's a risk but proceeding on the assumption that there is no such thing at all as security on the internet would mean you'd hardly use anything. I understand that I might be killed in a car crash but if I assumed I would then I'd stop driving.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 15:14 
Decapodian

Grim... wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
TheVision wrote:

I'm well aware that nothing online is ever going to be guaranteed to be 100% secure, but then neither are banks and you wouldn't put any blame on someone who had their valuables stolen from a safe deposit box.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 15:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
TheVision wrote:

I'm well aware that nothing online is ever going to be guaranteed to be 100% secure, but then neither are banks and you wouldn't put any blame on someone who had their valuables stolen from a safe deposit box.

No, you'd think them most unlucky. But in this situation the Safe Deposit Box is encrypted on a local machine, not on [whatever got hacked].

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 15:23 
Excellent Member

flis wrote:
You probably would expect to get robbed if you have money hanging out of your pocket; you do not go out expecting to raped if you wear a short skirt.

To comment is to debate.

I specifically said you shouldn't *not* go out in a short skirt, but should otherwise take precautions to mitigate your risks. It's quite the wilful leap to go from that to 'victim-blaming', as the feminists are so keen to say. But then it doesn't take much to warp a statement to mean whatever you want, if that's your intention.

I will rephase again for clarity: People shouldn't, but they will, so expect them to and avoid where possible. It might not be their fault but it would be stupid to be irreverent of the real risks that unquestionably exist.

I was referencing your analogy, that you said you favoured and followed your paragraph about the feminist response to rape. It was logical to take from that, that your example was analogous to rape, and not - as you have now clarified - general risk assessment.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 15:46 

Grim... wrote:

Your company source code is in dropbox, right?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 15:48 
Excellent Member

I think you could get very tinfoil hat about everything and anything, including how much access the government has to your information and what your ISP chooses to do with their knowledge of your Internet habits. But for a lot of people, you assume that things will work how they're supposed to and you put a lot of trust in that assumption.

All things considered, I wouldn't intentionally automatically upload anything to any cloud storage but that's just because I don't feel like I need to.

I'm not sure whether the options need to be clearer as I don't have an Apple device but is it difficult to know what you've asked it to do when you initially set the device up and maybe aren't familiar with it? It takes me multiple attempts to navigate the correct menus and settings in my phone sometimes, and I've had it for over a year!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 15:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Not the source, actually (obviously the source is online, but not in DB), but most other stuff is.

Of course, I understand the risks, and I'm a massive hippo-crit.

[edit]@ Gaywood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 15:51 
Unpossible!

I don't have anything worth hacking.

Including my theoretical nudes :)

If you want to look at endless pictures of my kids, just friend me on Facebook.

DavPaz: Bringing nothing to debate since 1980!

Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next