Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Election 2015
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 0:10 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I thought Bennett was largely a useless so and so but I can get that opinion across without referring to her appearance, quaintly enough.

Me too, and hey, me too! Let's be friends!

Quote:
actually managed to get some decent coherent points across

If you can remind me of even one that would be good. It's quite easy to get a timely swipe in at two people who are going at each other while ignoring you. You get to pick your route through their conflicting opinions to spout one that makes it look like you've got all the answers. Cleggmania was playing that tune last time, although sadly that didn't work out too well for him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 0:16 
INFINITE POWAH

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I thought Bennett was largely a useless so and so but I can get that opinion across without referring to her appearance, quaintly enough.

Me too, and hey, me too! Let's be friends!

God yes, I need to go to sleep. And I should have been spending the last hour reading the last book in the long series of novels I've almost finished, damn you.
Quote:
Quote:
actually managed to get some decent coherent points across

If you can remind me of even one that would be good. It's quite easy to get a timely swipe in at two people who are going at each other while ignoring you. You get to pick your route through their conflicting opinions to spout one that makes it look like you've got all the answers. Cleggmania was playing that tune last time, although sadly that didn't work out too well for him.

Ha! I'd have to watch it again to quote the details. But I've got a reasonably high threshold (or so I'd like to think) so they must have been semi decent points rather than just cheap dog whistle point scoring (or I'd have been cheering Ed again).

Clegg did well in the debates last time because he made bloody good sense. He then chucked that all away by betraying not only his principles but his party and his voters.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 0:26 
Legendary Boogeyman

Christ don't put down a good book to talk bollocks to me man, go to bed!

I still feel sorry for Clegg. He did sound good last time, but I always thought he was too weak. In my eyes he's the very essence of the ideological left that had to face a hard reality when actually in a position of power. He's been the absolute kicking boy of the past five years as a result, and I think that's been quite unfair. But politics cares nothing for fairness or truth, whatever that is.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:02 

Can I just say, what a quality exchange guys, the clash of the titans indeed. Love it; for a fleeting instant it felt like the good old days, there. :luv:

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:16 

Miliband spoke better than I've heard for a long time, but his continual use of 'I ask you at home' grated after the fifth or sixth time. Cameron seemed to be deliberately acting as if he was above all of it, going for the 'Prime Ministerial' look. I thought Clegg came across really well, and was very convincing even if at times he appeared to be pretending that he hadn't been in power for five years.

I felt sorry for the Plaid woman, who didn't seem to contribute much and, unlike Sturgeon, didn't even say what she had to offer to the rest of the UK.
Sturgeon made one or two good points, especially over the abolition of working visas for graduates, but I found her repeated statements that she wants us to be friends a bit false.

Didn't think much of the Green lady. Farage was playing the Shakespearen fool.

Thankfully, the audience were, until near the end, mercifully silent.

Not very enlightening, and I'm not sure anyone would change their vote just because of this..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:24 
Legendary Boogeyman

Kern wrote:
I felt sorry for the Plaid woman

They're a pretty irrelevant party, and their inclusion was just for consistency I think. They seemed to take the opportunity to say 'Vote for us in Wales!'.

Cavey wrote:
Can I just say, what a quality exchange guys, the clash of the titans indeed. Love it; for a fleeting instant it felt like the good old days, there

Come on you old dog, let's hear what you thought ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:51 

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Come on you old dog, let's hear what you thought ;)

Meh. I haven't actually seen it yet, merely a few snippets and 'highlights' on the news.

I did try to watch on catchup, but was so aghast at the the veritable 'Wall of Stupid' that is ITV Player (Coronation Street, Bargain Hunter, Jeremy Kyle and TOWIE were the cerebral highlights), I had to bail out for the sake of my sanity. I might have the stomach for it later tonight.

Hey, if nothing else, I feel an awful lot better about paying the BBC Licence Fee.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 13:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Attachment:
CBqrnYkWEAAOzEs.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:08 

I missed the first Scottish leaders' debate, but apparently the audience booed Sturgeon when she refused to rule out another referendum. Can't decide if I'll catch the second one or not, but the Scottish Tory leader, Ruth Davidson, is one of the most interesting and articulate female politicians I've seen in recent years - someone to watch in the future if she has to flee south to enter national politics.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:15 
Excellent Member

Presumably she will be moved south if she's any good, given that being a Tory in Scotland is, thankfully, essentially pointless.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:43 

Bamba wrote:
Presumably she will be moved south if she's any good, given that being a Tory in Scotland is, thankfully, essentially pointless.

Noted electoral reform sceptics, the Tories, benefit from the proportional element of Holyrood's mixed-member system.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:40 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Kern wrote:
I missed the first Scottish leaders' debate, but apparently the audience booed Sturgeon when she refused to rule out another referendum. Can't decide if I'll catch the second one or not, but the Scottish Tory leader, Ruth Davidson, is one of the most interesting and articulate female politicians I've seen in recent years - someone to watch in the future if she has to flee south to enter national politics.

Aye here it is

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 18:51 
Legendary Boogeyman

Bamba wrote:

About as pointless as being a Nationalist, but some people do like their petty delusions of grandeur.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:39 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
No, it's gone from about 70 to 400+ becausecthey are so in demand.

a study!
Https://uk.news.yahoo.com/food-banks-ri ... 32216.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:31 

Sign broken in Witney.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 13:13 
Unpossible!

Kern wrote:
Sign broken in Witney.

Quote:
Witney branches of the Liberal Democrats and Labour said they have not had any problems.

:)

Also, Wessex Regionalist?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 18:30 
UltraMod

WESSEX OVER ALL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 18:53 

DavPaz wrote:
Also, Wessex Regionalist?

From their website

Quote:
The Wessex Regionalist Party - the Party for Wessex - exists to achieve Home Rule for the Wessex region of England. We are a radical decentralist party, matching our constitutional aims with support for a co-operative rather than competitive economy, set within a long-term environmental perspective.

Also, from their FAQs:

Quote:
When was Wessex? Wessex is now and is defined by the consensus that exists within a dynamic movement. We started off arguing for a 'maximum Wessex' before refining this to the six-shire Wessex that can be found in Thomas Hardy's novels. We then added Bristol because it sees itself as firmly in the West, not the Midlands. Finally, we added Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire, within their traditional boundaries. We did this because of their early Saxon history - it is now thought that Wessex originated in Oxfordshire - and because excluding them would bisect Bristol, Oxford and Reading.
Our Wessex is subject to addition or deletion according to popular will, expressed through a referendum of local residents. Meanwhile, arguments over boundaries only detract from the job of putting Wessex on the map and ending London diktat over us.

Seems more reasonable than the bloke the Tories are putting up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 20:25 
Gogmagog

http://m.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/new ... andidates/

This is embarrassing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:34 
UltraMod

Kern wrote:
Seems more reasonable than the bloke the Tories are putting up.

Seems more reasonable than more powers for Cornwall tbh. At least Wessex was one of the heptarchic kingdoms.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:48 

This country went downhill after Alfred died.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 13:51 
ugvm'er at heart...

Another fun poll!

http://www.checktheirchoices.org.uk/

This one is about how you align with the way the party politicians have actually voted on issues in the past 5 years, and not on whether you agree with their promises for the future.

This is me.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 13.51.04.png

Seems like all indicators point to me voting Lib Dem again..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 14:18 
Decapodian

Apparently I should lean more towards Labour and the Greens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 14:49 
UltraMod

*drops mic*
Attachment:
checktheirchoices.png

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 15:06 
ugvm'er at heart...

Tory scum.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 15:10 
UltraMod

I strongly suspect that because I didn't choose the Business section that it's skewed it somewhat. Also the fact that a lot of the policies the Tories have implemented in the last five years have also been LD policies.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 15:17 
Sleepyhead

Hah! You bloody right-winger!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:31 
Decapodian

Am I missing something, but isn't giving housing association tenants the right to buy the house they are living in at a substantial discount a bad idea?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32295970

It doesn't address the high prices of housing - it just subsidises expensive homes, and then reduces the number of available HA stock to rent.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:02 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I think the policy could have been expressed better, as it should (in my understanding) increase the level of housing stock but the Tories being Tory focus on the 'owning your own home' dream.

If a HA has sold a property then there is nothing that it can do with that money other than to build or buy new property or refurbish property that it already owns as it has no shareholders to pass money to. So in theory a housing association having 20 flats in right to buy should be able to build another 20 (the cost of building a flat, even including the bare land, being about the same as the discounted sale value of the old one). I don't think that there can be a forced repatriation of funds to the council that founded the HA as they should be Arms length now.

This is, I think, quite distinct from right to buy in the 80's, where not only did this not happen, the rules on right to buy specifically prevented councils from using the proceeds to buy or build new property.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:10 
ugvm'er at heart...

There was a Lib-dem(?) policy announced on Thursday , about a fund to give a £1500 loan for people who want to move out of home and into rented accommodation. The £1500 loan was for their deposit.

I don't think it's harsh to say that if you can't save up the £1500 deposit when you are living at home, then you have absolutely fuck all chance of being able to afford to rent your own place...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:24 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I'd argue that the Conservatives 'Help to Buy ISA' is worse. Save £12,000 and they'll add on £3,000 to allow you to fund a deposit on a house.

But you can only pay in £200 a month.

And the property can't cost more than £450k if its in London or £250k elsewhere. These thresholds being of fairly limited value, given that it is going to take you 5 years to 'save' your £15k deposit. And your £3k bonus is just about wiped out by the stamp duty cost.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:42 
Decapodian

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I'd argue that the Conservatives 'Help to Buy ISA' is worse. Save £12,000 and they'll add on £3,000 to allow you to fund a deposit on a house.

But you can only pay in £200 a month.

And the property can't cost more than £450k if its in London or £250k elsewhere. These thresholds being of fairly limited value, given that it is going to take you 5 years to 'save' your £15k deposit. And your £3k bonus is just about wiped out by the stamp duty cost.

That's certainly pointless and of very little benefit, but the right to buy changes seem actively harmful.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:09 

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
If a HA has sold a property then there is nothing that it can do with that money other than to build or buy new property or refurbish property that it already owns as it has no shareholders to pass money to. So in theory a housing association having 20 flats in right to buy should be able to build another 20 (the cost of building a flat, even including the bare land, being about the same as the discounted sale value of the old one). I don't think that there can be a forced repatriation of funds to the council that founded the HA as they should be Arms length now.

http://www.housing.org.uk/media/blog/ex ... tractions/

Quote:
We have a housing crisis. It has many different components but at the heart of it is the reality that we have not built nearly enough of the right homes in the right place at the right price for a generation or more. All the efforts of housing associations, local authorities and others are geared towards ending this housing crisis by building new homes and regenerating existing homes where that is the best solution. The Right to Buy makes that more difficult. For those housing associations that already have the preserved RTB, the discounts of up to £102,500 make the government’s commitment to 1-1 replacement a hollow joke. Here’s just one example. Phoenix Community Housing in London recently sold a home worth £210,000 on the open market for just over half of that. From the proceeds, some went back to the Treasury, some to the local authority leaving a receipt of just £27,000. Have you tried building a new home for £27,000?

This is a cynical and populist policy. It's a shallow attempt to win votes that will only work in the short term. In the long term, much of this housing stock will naturally accumulate in the buy-to-let market, which is ultimately taxpayer funded subsidy (via housing benefit paid to the lower class) of middle-class people's second mortgages. It's a shit idea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:15 
Unpossible!

My second house is paid for by an eastern european immigrant couple. Take that, Farange!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:17 

DavPaz wrote:
My second house is paid for by an eastern european immigrant couple.
Do you know if they are on housing benefit?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:22 
Unpossible!

They're not. They both work full time at the nearby B&M warehouse. Very nice folks too. Lithuanian. Which I suppose is actually Northern Europe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:25 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
They're not. They both work full time at the nearby B&M warehouse. Very nice folks too. Lithuanian. Which I suppose is actually Northern Europe.

My wife went into B&M yesterday. I am mortified.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:34 
UltraMod

The Tory dream is to own a house someone else lives in who'll pay the mortgage for you with their benefits, actually.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:39 
Gogmagog

Future Warrior wrote:
The Tory dream is to own a house someone else lives in who'll pay the mortgage for you with their benefits, actually.

can someone do the maths for me on this? This is a great idea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:51 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:

Do what maths? You're just renting your house out but to DSS tenants; it's not like the numbers changes just because there's housing benefit involved.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:59 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:

Do what maths? You're just renting your house out but to DSS tenants; it's not like the numbers changes just because there's housing benefit involved.

is it capped? Is it guaranteed?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:59 

Bamba wrote:

Note that housing benefit is available to people on "low incomes", not just the unemployed, and is calculated based on rental prices in your area. That means over a quarter of renters in London receive at least some housing benefit, because it's essentially impossible to rent anything in many parts of London if you don't earn well over minimum wage. That money flows directly to private landlords, of course; the unintended consequence of a benefit intended to help the working poor was that it further inflates a housing bubble that only benefits the rich.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 13:08 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Note that housing benefit is available to people on "low incomes", not just the unemployed, and is calculated based on rental prices in your area. That means over a quarter of renters in London receive at least some housing benefit, because it's essentially impossible to rent anything in many parts of London if you don't earn well over minimum wage. That money flows directly to private landlords, of course; the unintended consequence of a benefit intended to help the working poor was that it further inflates a housing bubble that only benefits the rich.

So the actual landlord gets the same no matter what, it just depends how much comes from the government and how much from the renter?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 13:27 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

http://www.housing.org.uk/media/blog/ex ... tractions/

Quote:
We have a housing crisis. It has many different components but at the heart of it is the reality that we have not built nearly enough of the right homes in the right place at the right price for a generation or more. All the efforts of housing associations, local authorities and others are geared towards ending this housing crisis by building new homes and regenerating existing homes where that is the best solution. The Right to Buy makes that more difficult. For those housing associations that already have the preserved RTB, the discounts of up to £102,500 make the government’s commitment to 1-1 replacement a hollow joke. Here’s just one example. Phoenix Community Housing in London recently sold a home worth £210,000 on the open market for just over half of that. From the proceeds, some went back to the Treasury, some to the local authority leaving a receipt of just £27,000. Have you tried building a new home for £27,000?

This is a cynical and populist policy. It's a shallow attempt to win votes that will only work in the short term. In the long term, much of this housing stock will naturally accumulate in the buy-to-let market, which is ultimately taxpayer funded subsidy (via housing benefit paid to the lower class) of middle-class people's second mortgages. It's a shit idea.

Stance - corrected. I'm guessing the HA must have to repatriate the 'transfer in' value to the LA out of the proceeds, which fucks up that metric.

Which in theory makes it doubly cynical - LA proceeds from right to buy on HA properties keeping the lid on council tax/general taxation for a few years as we measure deficit in terms of cash and debt, not assets.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 16:11 
ugvm'er at heart...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 16:26 
Bad Girl

Jesus, that lip sync was awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:59 

Not sure if I'll watch 'Ed Miliband v the World' tonight. With the exception of Farage, he's only likely to be attacked from one side, and I fear it might turn into one of those oh-so-tedious undergraduate debates about 'who's the most left-wing'.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:01 
Unpossible!

Without the incumbent, what's the actual point?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:05 

DavPaz wrote:
Without the incumbent, what's the actual point?

Quite. It could benefit Miliband by making him appear Prime Ministerial, able to take tough decisions, and keep his nerve under fire, but other than that I can't see much positive from it.

Of course, I have nothing against Miliband and Labour being grilled on their policies and approach to government, but then I also want the Tories to face that too. And we'll let Mr Clegg do the half-time show.

Reply to topic  [ 1765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 36  Next