Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anything for a Drink
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:11 
ugvm'er at heart...

My main issue is why her and why now? What makes this incident so much worse than the hundreds of others where people weren't hounded through the media about it?

This sort of thing, and much worse, has been going on for years in these holiday destinations, it's what they have been built on and encourage.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:13 
Legendary Boogeyman

Trooper wrote:
My main issue is why her and why now?

Also worth noting that since I don't read any cheap tabloids or visit the Daily Mail website 'ironically', I would have had no knowledge of this incident had it not been posted here. I'm sure there's a message there somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:14 
Sitting balls-back folder

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
you can only control your own mind.
ha! I wish!

Fucking thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:15 
UltraMod

Society used to think being gay was bad, or black. Should we not try and change society to be better? Or just leave the status quo like you suggest.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:20 
Legendary Boogeyman

American Nervoso wrote:
Or just leave the status quo like you suggest.

Blahblah strawman fallacy link.

Again, it would be changing society in the way you think is better. There are at least two ways publicity of stories like these may affect change:

1) People become more used to cock-gobbling stories and end up not judging them because such things are so common that it's all fine and dandy now.
2) It shames people to make others think: 'Hey, maybe I shouldn't suck cock while on holiday for the lols'/'Hey, maybe I shouldn't be getting my dick out in bars in the hopes someone will suck it'.

Of course, #2 has the benefit of shock selling shitty papers to morons who find that kind of thing interesting, but aside from that I don't think you could say one outcome is better than the other.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Frankly I think she's a much better advert for Britain than the groups of 'lads' that go out there and regularly get drunk and start fights and smash places up. But that's not front page news, for some reason.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:31 
Sleepyhead

American Nervoso wrote:
Society used to think being gay was bad, or black. Should we not try and change society to be better? Or just leave the status quo like you suggest.

Yes, but this is objectively a bad thing, from a sexual health perspective at the very least. Getting offended that people think the whole incident was in poor taste is surely counter productive.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:36 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:

Yes, but this is objectively a bad thing, from a sexual health perspective at the very least. Getting offended that people think the whole incident was in poor taste is surely counter productive.

Objectively it's bad that the woman is held to account when the men are let off scot-free or even applauded? Ok.

I'm not even talking about this specific incident anymore, sexism is a more insidious problem now in this country than either racism or homophobia.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:42 
Legendary Boogeyman

As I said before, the men had their cock sucked by one woman. The woman sucked 24 cocks. You might like to consider these things equally abhorrent but it's simply the case that the majority of people don't think that.

So it's rather simplistic to call these things equivalent and then blame 'insidious sexism' for the disparity in 'news' reporting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:13 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
My main issue is why her and why now? What makes this incident so much worse than the hundreds of others where people weren't hounded through the media about it?

This sort of thing, and much worse, has been going on for years in these holiday destinations, it's what they have been built on and encourage.

Some guy who was there filmed it and put it online, it then went viral, then became news

The papers have squeezed all scandal out of the Rolf Harris story so guess they needed something new.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:25 
Sleepyhead

American Nervoso wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:

Objectively it's bad that the woman is held to account when the men are let off scot-free or even applauded? Ok.

I'm not even talking about this specific incident anymore, sexism is a more insidious problem now in this country than either racism or homophobia.

You know that's not what I'm saying. I have very clearly stated that on numerous occasions, as has almost everyone. Stop trolling.

You are completely straw-manning it here. There aren't loads of people here cheering those guys on. Plenty of people are saying that the whole thing is tawdry for everyone involved. Ditto that it's bad that society may hold one gender in worse regard for this. So stop arguing against an imagined opponent.

You may as well call everyone homophobic, as when the 'tables have been turned' it has referenced a man going down on 24 women instead of sucking 24 cocks. So insidious!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:28 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:
You may as well call everyone homophobic, as when the 'tables have been turned' it has referenced a man going down on 24 women instead of sucking 24 cocks. So insidious!

There's no part of this line that makes any sense at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:29 
UltraMod

Oh no, I disagree with you therefore I must be trolling. Grow up, Curio.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:47 
Isn't that lovely?

I think there are 5 things to consider here:

1) Was anyone forced, cajoled, coerced or tricked into doing something
2) Was everyone aware (or more likely did anyone care) of the health risks involved
3) Was everyone aware that it is being filmed
4) Was anyone offended by watching it
5) Is anyone's future career going to suffer

I don't think national reputations comes into as anyone who judges an individual based on the actions of similar groups of individuals is silly. (I've seen some fat greedy American's; so all American's are fat and greedy etc)

Going back to my points, there was apparently some trickery if she genuinly thought there was an actual "holiday" involved (however you see knowing "jokes" like this all the time, so I wouldn't be suprised if she was fully aware of the prize.

I doubt anyone was thinking of the health risks involved, because on the whole you don't when you are 18, on holiday and "merry"

Being aware that it was filmed, it looks like it was part of a "make an extreme video" competition, so it's fair to say people knew what was going on in that respect. Also these days, everyone has a mobile, so you've got to expect to be filmed if anything at all happens, but lots of people forget that these days anything can "go viral" and things that would be quickly forgotten can these days hang around for ever.

I don't think anyone there would have been offended, and anyone looking at websites and watching videos and is offended should just not have watched the video.

So we're left with 5, and unfortunatly I can imagine in the short term and maybe even the medium term, anyone looking on the internet for her is probably going to find out about this, and I think that's a shame.

So, what's the conclusion? Well, we have foolish roudy teenagers acting roudy and foolishly and people juding them poorly for that. I don't think that girl should be worried that some on this forum are worried about the nation's reputation suffering because of her and others like her. I don't think people should judge girls with a different moral standard to boys. And I feel a little jealous that my teenage years were not so exciting, and that the world can only be better if there is more safe sex going on!

Malc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:59 
Sleepyhead

American Nervoso wrote:
Oh no, I disagree with you therefore I must be trolling. Grow up, Curio.

You don't disagree with me, or anyone! You're stating an opinion that people agree with and then slating them for disagreeing with it!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 13:03 
Sleepyhead

Bamba wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

There's no part of this line that makes any sense at all.

The standard reaction to Myp's "You sexist beasts, stop cheering these men on" post was for people to say that they would be equally appalled if it was a man going down on 24 women.

Why did they say that? Why can't a man suck cocks? Do they think it is wrong? Is this just an insidious homophobic post? How dare they! They would probably cheer death camps for gay people! They murder gay people in their sleep!

This is an example of how Myp argues :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 22:04 
Excellent Member

This thread is absolutely hilarious and I think people are just making a big deal out of it.

The only thing shocking about it are the ridiculously small dicks at display, and that's the only thing that could give Brits a bad name.

The girl is doing it out of free will, and how is that different of all the risky and stupid things all the kids do in their youths? In fact, it's much less risky that balconing and abusing drugs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 22:11 
Bad Girl

Quote:
balconing

I read that as baconing and now I want to know more about it. I could bring my own bacon.

Also, what the hell is balconing? Was it what Michael Jackson was doing with his baby?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 22:17 
Excellent Member

Portuguese teenagers have their own magaluf which is Lloret de Mar, where they all go for spring break. Every other year some kid dies from acting stupid. Until now I don't think any of them was due to choking on too many cocks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:25 
Isn't that lovely?

Saturnalian wrote:
Quote:
balconing

I read that as baconing and now I want to know more about it. I could bring my own bacon.

Also, what the hell is balconing? Was it what Michael Jackson was doing with his baby?

I think that's jumping of a hotel balcony into a swiming pool.

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:30 

All I know is this: I went to Sonisphere myself at the weekend to see Maiden and giving blow jobs for booze started to seem like an attractive proposition considering the cost of a pint there.

As for this girl, why does anyone give even the remotest shit about this? It's not news. Who cares? If there's some sort of public decency issue here, that's for the authorities in Magaluf to sort out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:35 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Zio wrote:
I went to Sonisphere myself at the weekend to see Maiden

Wanker ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:39 

Cras wrote:
Zio wrote:
I went to Sonisphere myself at the weekend to see Maiden

Wanker ;)

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fuck, I wish I could afford to go to both Sonisphere and Download.

Did you see Cavey?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:05 

I only did a day at both, so effectively the price of doing a weekend at one of them. And I've got no idea what Cavey looks like. I was keeping an eye out for an older gentleman in a tweed jacket, wearing a deerstalker and a monocle, with a smoking shotgun over one shoulder and a dead grouse over the over, but alas saw no-one who fit that description. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zio wrote:
I only did a day at both, so effectively the price of doing a weekend at one of them.

Turns out that I probably couldn't afford a weekend at one of them.

FUCK Craster I didn't give you the money I owed you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 14:16 
Legendary Boogeyman

Grim... wrote:
FUCK Craster

The answer to your problem is contained within the statement.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 16:20 

Lulz @ Zio :)

Awesome show mate,huh? Although I really do feel you have *slightly* the wrong idea about the type of man I am... :D ;)

Loads of misunderstandings and straw effigies in here, but hey, I'm so over it.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 17:08 

Cavey wrote:
Lulz @ Zio :)

Awesome show mate,huh? Although I really do feel you have *slightly* the wrong idea about the type of man I am... :D ;)

Loads of misunderstandings and straw effigies in here, but hey, I'm so over it.

Heh, just having a joke. Was indeed an awesome show! Maiden have been suggesting it could be the last time they play such an 80's focussed set, so I knew I had to be there for it. Plus a photo of me there someone uploaded to Instagram got a like from the Iron Maiden official account, which has pleased me much more than something like that probably should.

Edit: apologies for the derailing!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 17:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

They told me that when I saw them on the last night of the maiden England tour :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 15:59 
Gogmagog

Cheers, darlin'

Quote:
Really, it’s with good reason; as someone who personally suffered through a number of Thomas Cook package holidays in my youth and once visited Malia out of choice as a fledgling adult, I can attest to the fact that even British people feel the fear.

Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next