8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Saturnalian wrote:
Is this out then?

Tomorrow (for the US version at least)

Post subject: Re: Destiny
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 19:12 
Bad Girl

Being dependant on tinternet and being the most pre-ordered game ever or something I expect it'll be down for about a few days upon release anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 21:54 
8-Bit Champion

Rab's first impressions of Destiny

http://www.amusementarcade.org/2014/09/ ... y-day-one/

Quote:
DESTINY DIARY: Day One

We’re conditioned, these days, to expect certain things from First Person Shooters.

We expect bombastic set-pieces. We expect to see buildings fall, bridges collapse and helicopters spin to a fiery doom. We expect control to be wrenched away from us at key moments, to let some kind of drama play out.

Bungie don’t make games like that.

Halo was built on simple fundamentals – great firefights, often. You would enter a room, spot the enemies, and then you would:

take cover

fire

flank

melee

take cover

fire

fire

And then you’d collect yourself, gather your thoughts, and move on.

My enthusiasm for Destiny, if I’m being honest, had waned over the months. Bungie weren’t at all clear about what kind of thing their new game actually was. I think they were maybe a little bit afraid of being direct with us about what they were delivering. And I understand why. See, here’s what I’m taking from my first day of Destiny – to make a game this elegant, this simple and this solid is incredibly brave.

Yesterday we made a joke about the Destiny User Reviews spilling all over Metacritic. It’s interesting to note that people who were scoring the score low all had similar complaints.

It’s boring.

And yeah, I can see why some might think that. There are no buildings falling. No screams of YEEEE-HA! No incredible scripted set-pieces. But there are small encounters, small firefights, with smart enemies. They are wonderful things to push through, as they always were in Halo.

Last night, in an early mission, I pushed the difficulty up to HARD. I found myself in a basement, being assaulted by hordes of these alien things. They were horrible things. Like fast zombies. If they get close they let you know all about it. And they just kept on coming. I was fighting them with this little handgun with a slow rate of fire but one hell of an impact. I would BLAM! take one down and then BLAM! another and then OH FUCK I MISSED and then back back back BLAM! oh no three more RELOAD RELOAD RELOAD come on come on BLAM!

It was exhilarating. Incredible. I was at the absolute edge of survival for about thirty minutes, trying to push into a room to take out a boss. I’d advance – the hordes would come. I’d clear them, push in, hurrying to finish the job before more enemies arrived. I’d dance, weave, putting bullets into the boss enemy, draining his shield. I’d hear that horde coming. COME ON COME ON.

Destiny_Screenshot_01

In the game, I’m a Hunter. I have a robot face and I use a handgun. I don’t think it’s the best weapon, but it makes me feel like a gunslinger. I pull it out, dance around a corner and BLAM! – if my shot is on point, the enemy is no more. It feels wonderful. There’s a tower, a central hub, where you can buy new kit and take new missions and look at yourself in third person. For me, all the levelling up and the loot is a side-issue. I only ever want to get back down to one of the planets, to have more firefights.

I go on patrol. It’s a giant open area, with flashing beacons scattered around. You activate these beacons to claim missions. Many of them are simply “KILL THE BADDIES”. I think to myself – “Good, that’s all I want to do.” The game then spawns groups of these baddies onto the map. You go and find your dance partners and you do your dance.

I call it a dance. The designers at Bungie have this special touch. It’s all touch and feel. The firefights, all of them, are so satisfying. The enemies are smart. It remains to be seen if they’re as smart as they were in Halo, but they certainly know when to hide and when to hurt you. The game is frighteningly addictive, because the promise of Destiny seems to be “these moments, forever”.

We’re always so underwhelmed these days, aren’t we? Let me step outside of the cynical HEREWORLD and look at this with a child’s eyes.

Imagine there’s this game where you can be this kind of space cowboy guy and you go down on these planets on a spaceship to kill all these baddies and all your pals can come down with you too. You can do it as a team. You can go hunting baddies like bounty hunters in a team. Like a team of bounty hunters! And it’s your actual pals. You can talk to them while you’re playing. And the special effects are amazing like Star Wars. And the skies-

Oh, the skies. The skies.

-are beautiful. Big alien skies. Oh, and you can get new clothes and new gear for your guy. And new guns. And you can sell stuff and make money. And you can go to this planet where you can fight all different people from all over the world. And there are these speeder bike things. And big gun turrets. And when your guy gets powered up he has this magic FIRE GUN and he shoots everybody with it. Oh, and your guy gets stronger and stronger and looks cooler and cooler.

And, hey, forget about all that. What that young boy won’t focus on is what really matters – the brilliance of those firefights.

This is boring, they say.

I don’t want to be that guy. You know – the guy who says “Well, you just don’t get it.” But I do think that people who play games have been conditioned to expect the wrong things from First Person Shooters, and I think they feel hard-done-by if they don’t get them.

First Person Shooters aren’t about witnessing a spectacle. They’re about being the fucking spectacle.

Destiny, only 6 or so hours in, is a Bungie game. Bungie, not of Cutscene Evolved or Killstreak Evolved, but of Combat Evolved.

Combat. Firefights.

These moments, forever? Yes, please.

BLAM!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 22:01 
ugvm'er at heart...

This is being delivered to me tomorrow. Anybody played it yet?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 22:18 
Bad Girl

I don't know who Rab is but his diary has made me not want to play Destiny. It sounds boring.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 22:22 
UltraMod

It sounds like the original Halo trilogy without the good bits.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 22:25 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
This is being delivered to me tomorrow. Anybody played it yet?

Reportage from three of the guys at work.

#1 - Console fanboy who calls me a snobby PC cunt (I cheerfully reciprocate the sentiment and call him a console pauper).

Really enjoying it but already got two characters to Level 12 (cap is 20), says it's Halo with RPG/MMO stuff bolted on, so if this is the sort of thing you like....

#2 - Primarily PC gamer but likes his console games too.

Enjoying it in the main but finding it a bit limited and lacking any semblance of the depth of a game like WoW. Also a bit generic and shootery.

#3 - PC gamer who bought an XBox One just to play Destiny because he has big man-love for anything with an MMO slant.

Finds it a bit tedious and impossible to control with a pad. Has only seen one other person outside of the hub areas when he's doing his questing stuff.

CONCLUSION - I can't see myself snagging an XBoner to play this game.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 22:28 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

The more I read about it, the more I want it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 23:11 
8-Bit Champion

Hearthly wrote:

You can of course play it on a 360 , a PS3 or a PS4 :-)

And plenty of rumors still flying about of a PC version

Took ages to download for me but did the first few missions tonight - however i'd already played those in the beta - its a very halo like feel but with MMO and groups stuff added on , I do think it we could get a few people here who played it would be great to group up and take on some of the bigger bosses / challenges in the game

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 23:13 
Rude Belittler

I'm enjoying it immensely. Largely for the reasons that Rab states. The combat is fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:28 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

You can of course play it on a 360 , a PS3 or a PS4 :-)

It's platform-locked though so you can only play multiplayer with people on the same platform as you, and everyone in our gaff has gone XBoner, for some reason.

(Chap #3 above actually changed from his intention of getting a PS4 to an XBoner, so he'd be able to do multiplayer shizzles with the other chaps in the office.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:44 
Hello Hello Hello

First impressions from Eurogamer are hardly mind-blowing.....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... mpressions

This really isn't how an MMO style game should make you feel....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:27 
Rude Belittler

It's not really a MMO though. For the most part it feels like an open world shooter that other players wander through. Even the strikes feel more like a multi player Halo session rather than MMO dungeon. There's no Trinity, it's all about the shooting.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:29 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Hearthly wrote:

I think that article reads ok. Maybe my expectations are lower? That's years of playing old arcade games for you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:11 
Bad Girl

TheVision wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

I think that article reads ok. Maybe my expectations are lower? That's years of playing old arcade games for you.

Really? I read:

Quote:
Who needs purpose or narrative drive after surviving a Strike, or when celebrating another victory in The Crucible? The social moments really string Destiny together, the magic coming in those random encounters when exploring the wilder world - little flashes of camaraderie between strangers that are invariably punctuated by dance-offs before players go their separate ways.

I thought I need purpose and narrative drive, otherwise I'm just playing a mindless videogame about shooting and jumping about. That's not enough to sustain me longer than a couple of months and even then without a purpose I'll be wondering why I'm wasting my time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Detail/201993

The PS4 UGVM clan is up and running if people want others to play with.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
I thought I need purpose and narrative drive, otherwise I'm just playing a mindless videogame about shooting and jumping about. That's not enough to sustain me longer than a couple of months and even then without a purpose I'll be wondering why I'm wasting my time.

:this:

Even what may on the surface be a shallow shoot-em-up needs a story, characters, a sense of purpose. Take for example Borderlands 2, (which you could take as a mindless shooty looter), that just flat-out wouldn't work without knowing right from the off you're after Handsome Jack, with him taunting you all the time, discovering the audio diaries of the horrors he's been up to, seeing the story progress, watching your band of comrades rise and fall and rise again, TINY FUCKING TINA!!!, leading to that final showdown with someone you feel you actually know and whose ass you really want to kick.

Or WoW, christ it's pretty binary, if you're Alliance then HORDE = BAD, if you're Horde then ALLIANCE = BAD (albeit the story becomes massively more nuanced as the game runs forward) - but again, from the very beginning of the game you know at the most basic level, who the goodies and baddies are, and what your place in the world is.

If a professional videogames reviewer doesn't know after seven hours of Destiny gameplay what he's doing, and why, then that game has got a seriously dysfunctional story, if it even has one at all.....

And it looks to me as if everyone agrees on the shit, bland, boring voice acting (even people who really dig the game itself), and again, that's a big problem for me.

I need to identify with the world I'm in and the characters who populate it, and understand my place in that world, otherwise it does indeed just feel like a waste of time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:48 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Like I said, maybe my expectations are lower? I may get it today and find out what it's all about. I did really enjoy Halo after all so why wouldn't I like this?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 13:37 
Rude Belittler

Destiny absolutely has a story. It's not at the forefront all the time, just like the Horde vs Alliance story is not at the forefront all the time in WoW.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 14:04 
Hello Hello Hello

Pundabaya wrote:
Destiny absolutely has a story. It's not at the forefront all the time, just like the Horde vs Alliance story is not at the forefront all the time in WoW.

Well I can only go with what I've read about Destiny, and from three first hand accounts at work, but I'm not pretending I've played the game for myself so my comments have that limitation. (The Eurogamer comments (once you've filtered out the usual trolls) has some interesting commentary from folks who clearly expected a lot more.)

What I will say about WoW though is you absolutely know your place in the wider world right from the start, each race gets its own cinematic intro and its own unique starting area, which establishes character, motivation and affiliation, and sets up the overarching narrative. In short, you know who you are, what you're doing, and why you're doing it.

Even the guy who's a mega-XBox lover cheerfully admitted he had no real idea who he was or what was going on in Destiny, but that he loved shooting the shit out of everything so it didn't matter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 17:43 
Rude Belittler

Really? It's pretty much spelled out for you in the opening cut scene and first few missions exactly who and what you are.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 17:44 
Paws for thought

Saturnalian wrote:
Quote:
Who needs purpose or narrative drive after surviving a Strike, or when celebrating another victory in The Crucible? The social moments really string Destiny together, the magic coming in those random encounters when exploring the wilder world - little flashes of camaraderie between strangers that are invariably punctuated by dance-offs before players go their separate ways.

The lack of purpose and narrative drive doesn't stop people putting hundreds of hours into, say, CoD multiplayer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 17:46 
Bad Girl

I was only saying what I need, not others. I come for the campaign and stay for the multiplayer. Sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 17:47 
Paws for thought

I was under the impression that you were at some point a man who played much online CoDings.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 17:53 
Bad Girl

Tis true, I was milking the teats of CoD 4, 5 and 6. But I'd always finish the campaign first cause I'm weird like that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 18:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Pundabaya wrote:
Really? It's pretty much spelled out for you in the opening cut scene and first few missions exactly who and what you are.

Well it clearly hasn't stuck in many minds then given the general commentary :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 18:52 
ugvm'er at heart...

Second game delivery in a row where my Amazon delivery driver is too fucking stupid to be able to read the instructions on my door buzzer, so thinks no-one is in the block of flats.

:facepalm:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 22:18 
Ready for action

I've got it and really enjoying it. Enemies are clever, they take cover, flank and rush you. Big dungeon boss style battles are just the right amount of difficult. Playing with friends in those situations is great. Wandering around fighting people is even cooler when you bump into randoms and all work together against a common foe before continuing on your way. I've seen plenty of randoms about in the world as well, in fact I'd say it's more unusual not to see them, even if it's just in the distance. I'm pleased with it and think I'll get a decent amount of play out of it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 0:09 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I agree with SDG. I like it so far!

So who's got it and on which console? It's screaming out for some Beexer fun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:09 
8-Bit Champion

TheVision wrote:
So who's got it and on which console? It's screaming out for some Beexer fun.

I have it on PS4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:27 
Rude Belittler

PS4 here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:07 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I have it on 360.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:38 
Paws for thought

If I were to get it, ps4.

But I'd need a little convincig.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:49 
Bad Girl

Yeah, why's it any good?

It's got some good shooting and nice combatants - like Halo did - what else?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 13:54 
Rude Belittler

Do you need anything else?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 15:56 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Pundabaya wrote:
Do you need anything else?

:this:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:20 
Ready for action

I've got it on Xbox One.

I can't say if it's any better than any other shooter but I've enjoyed what I played and look forward to playing more. I can't say if it will have any staying power especially up against all the games coming up like Halo, new CoD, The Division, but I think it's great fun to play with friends (more so than call of duty I think) and I'm glad I got it. It's finally triggered my gaming again.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 19:54 

http://brkeogh.com/2014/09/14/notes-on-destiny/
Quote:
1. Destiny is a ‘well designed’ game in the way a chair might be well designed or a lampshade might be well designed. It is the IKEA Billy bookshelf of videogames: safe, sturdy, inoffensive; as a Billy bookshelf does a very competent job of being a bookshelf in the most generic, conventional sense so that there is not a home that a Billy bookshelf would look strange in, Destiny is a very competent game in the most generic, conventional sense. It’s the safest possible game Activision and Bungie could have created. Like some kind of ur-videogame object. Maddy Myers said on Twitter yesterday that it looks like the kind of videogame you would see in the background of a film, and she’s not wrong. It is derivative, generic, and conservative; but not in the sense that it fails to achieve some innovative greatness that it is aiming for. Rather, it is clearly derivative, generic, and conservative by intent. It doesn’t want to be something creatively progressive or imaginative. How then to evaluate it? I typically like to approach a game on its own terms. Not in some sort of ‘authorial intent’ kind of way. Rather: what does the game tell me about what it is striving to achieve, and how well does it achieve that? Destiny tells me it just wants to be a safe, competent videogame object, and it achieves that very well. So therefore it is ‘good’, I guess. But there is nothing here critically or meaningfully or thematically. There’s no depth. It’s a bookshelf. It’s an object. But it wants to be an object. Ok the

Quote:
5. So there is a lot of Halo here. But Destiny also lacks what made Halo interesting. It’s hard to over-estimate just how satisfying Halo‘s battles were with the explicit hierarchy of enemies: cowardly grunts, elusive jackals, and cunning elites. Every single elite felt like fighting an equal to Master Chief, and they felt that way, in large part thanks to the many grunts and jackals backing them up. Every encounter was a strategy of figuring out how to pick off the small enemies without being destroyed by the elite, so that then you could destroy the elite without being destroyed by them. It was a juggle of weapons, where individual weapons did not matter so much as what combination of weapons you had. There was so much moment-to-moment strategising that people often fail to appreciate, instead remembering it as the conventional run-and-gun modern shooter that it helped to normalise on consoles. Destiny lacks that. It has interesting-to-fight enemies, to be sure. But they are all the same except for a slightly different placed weak point. Some areas are satisfying to fight in, constantly moving and spinning and throwing knives and grenades. But it’s all grunts and no elites. Even the tougher enemies like wizards don’t require any real kind of strategy, just more bullets. It’s wrong to fault Destiny for not being Halo, but as its similarities help us detail its strengths, this difference helps us detail its weaknesses: Destiny is not strategically interesting. It is just running-and-gunning.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 21:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

Played a few hours of this today. The shooty shooty itself is pretty good, a total copy of Halo, but that isn't a bad thing. Did a PvP match and didn't come bottom of the table, which was nice considering everyone else was max rank or near that, and most likely decked out in a few legendaries. It was pretty fun to play, but nothing groundbreaking.

The rest though is just anodine nothingness. The MMO aspect is MMO-lite, the RPG aspect is RPG-lite, the loot aspect is loot-lite, the open world aspect is... you get the idea.
It's well made, but like other people have said, you've seen it all before.

I'll keep playing for the shooty, as that is good enough to drive you to push past the rest, but this isn't going to be a game that lasts the test of time I expect, unless they do some serious content generation and change it a fair bit.

One final thought, the load times are utter bullshit. It feels like you spend just as much time watching you (admittedly very pretty) spaceship flying to the next location, as you do on the ground shooting. Luckily they have made it so that you can dick around with your loot and character while the locations are loading, but I assume they did that because they realised the load times were atrocious.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 13:49 
8-Bit Champion

Destiny review - the problem with videogames : http://www.vg247.com/2014/09/15/destiny-review/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 13:56 
ugvm'er at heart...

The problem with that review, is that it isn't a review.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 13:59 
8-Bit Champion

Trooper wrote:
The problem with that review, is that it isn't a review.

:-)

It says so in the title !

(I do think they took it a little far)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 16:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

So my copy of Destiny from Amazon arrived yesterday, but I've already got a refund as it was late and I told them to give me my money back.
So that's nice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 21:58 
UltraMod

My sister bought this for me for Christmas. I have done started playing it. It is quite fun.

Message ends.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 23:54 
Paws for thought

On t'piss 4?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:07 
UltraMod

Mr Dave wrote:
On t'piss 4?

Yah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:33 
Paws for thought

Is it the kind of thing you'd value a Dave (Mr) to play with?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 15:51 
UltraMod

Mr Dave wrote:
Is it the kind of thing you'd value a Dave (Mr) to play with?

Without a doubt.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 17:04 
Paws for thought

Well, I am now the posesser of the game in question, so if you see a Dave, you know what to do.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 17:36 
UltraMod

Will do! It very much involves me not being at work though.

Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next