Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Destiny
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:16 

I had a good bit of a go on the alpha preview of this last night. First impressions are that it's all a bit confused and not as good as Halo. It looks nice, though and the shooting seems decent enough. To soon to tell really but this preview/demo hasn't got me pre-ordering it or anything.

Post subject: Re: Destiny
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 18:04 
Rude Belittler

The shooting is rather good. It feels Halo-y (unsurprisingly) which is always a good thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:47 

This was still on last night even though it was supposed to just be until Sunday. Have to say I really rather enjoyed it. Finished the story missions and had some randoms drop into the game for some co-op. It was good fun. Some nice feeling weapons, the environments look pretty amazing if you stop and look around.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 21:11 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Has anyone else setup a US account on their PS4 as I seem to have 3 beta codes (I'll be using one as soon as the PSN is stable but there will potentially be 2 spares)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 21:14 
Bad Girl

Do you have to have a US account?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 21:20 
Rude Belittler

I've got 2 UK codes going spare..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 21:27 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'd take a UK code if you have one to share :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 21:33 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
Do you have to have a US account?

For my one yes - my main 'download' account is US and since its the US version I've bought on Amazon i signed up for the US side of things so it gave me 3 US codes

I'm using 1 and i have 2 spare - you need to have a US account on your PS4 but dont need it to be your main account

I have redeemed my code and its downloading - 12 gig - it downloaded about a gig and said it was installed but when you start it up you just get a 'accept the terms' page , a page saying it may crash and now i have a download screen saying it has another 10 gig to go :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 21:41 
Decapodian

I wouldn't mind a uk code if possible.

Ta.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 21:49 
Rude Belittler

My codes are gone, gone, gone!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 21:50 
Bad Girl

Can I ha...FANNY!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 22:05 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
Can I ha...FANNY!

Make a US account and I can give you a code - do steps 1, 3 and 4 from this post - it will take you 5 minutes (if PSN stays up) viewtopic.php?p=818985#p818985

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 22:07 
ugvm'er at heart...

14GB! I'm not going to be playing tonight then :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 22:13 
Bad Girl

zaphod79 wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
Can I ha...FANNY!

Make a US account and I can give you a code - do steps 1, 3 and 4 from this post - it will take you 5 minutes (if PSN stays up) viewtopic.php?p=818985#p818985

This I will do. Also that Borderlinx thing looks interesting. What's the gist there? What sort of charges do they want for shipping to the UK for stuff (it's probably on the website but I haven't got time yet to give it a thorough once over)?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 22:50 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
Can I ha...FANNY!

This I will do. Also that Borderlinx thing looks interesting. What's the gist there? What sort of charges do they want for shipping to the UK for stuff (it's probably on the website but I haven't got time yet to give it a thorough once over)?

I've never actually used it to get stuff shipped over because i heard it was expensive so I just use it for the 'free' US address

Their shipping calculator is here : http://www.borderlinx.com/en/shipping-cost-calculator - you need to define the item / weight / and an idea of the package size

Check your PM's and you'll have one with the US destiny code - so I still have one more left if anyone else wants it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 22:59 
Bad Girl

Zaphod IZ da BOMB yo!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 20:20 
Bad Girl

Has anyone input their code on the PS4 yet? How cool is the new keyboard pointer thing? Answer: very. No more spazzy shuffling from letter to letter.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 15:46 
Bad Girl

BLIMEY! HAVE YOU PLAYED THIS ZOMG!

WOW, I cannot believe it! I am thoroughly underwhelmed. Like MASSIVELY.

Pros and Cons.

Pro: Good shooting. It's generous with the headshots. Headshots are cool. It's just like Halo in that respect in that if you get a headshot then you'll do massive damage or pop a skull. In fact, it's very Halo with the shooting and might as well be Halo. This is a good thing.

Con: That being said, the standard assault rifle is an assault rifle. Yawn. It's so CoD-like with the Holographic sight that it's very dull to use. Despite that it doesn't sound very meaty.

Pro: Some people turned up when I was fighting! People I did not know!

Con: They shot everyone. I had very little to do, and I was never overwhelmed.

Pro: Then they sodded off to do something else while I plodded on with my mission.

Pro: ...

Con: Male Cortana. He's shit.

Pro: Unintrusive waypointing.

Con: Sometimes it's so unintrusive that you don't know where it's pointing. I'm not bothered though.

Pro: If you stand absolutely still and look around it is actually quite pretty. There is some nice dynamic lighting in there too. Running around in the dark was quite good with exactly the right amount of torchlight (i.e. LOADS. I don't want to walk around looking through a pinhole camera)

Con: You might never notice. It's a bit bland but then again I always thought Halo was beautifully boring. If you power through some areas (and I ain't one to do that) then you might miss the good looking bits. You might struggle to notice the improvements since the PS3/360 days. Honestly, the Next Gen has yet to yank my bollocks hard.

Pro: 60FPS.

Con: Actually I have no idea what FPS it is but it's smooth. But then again so was every Halo ever.

Pro: BORDERLAND NUMBERS OVER HEADS! SHOOT PEOPLE AND NUMBERS SHOW UP!

Con: BORDERLAND NUMBERS OVER HEADS! SHOOT PEOPLE AND NUMBERS SHOW UP! Really, why is this on here in a narrative shooting game. I don't get it and I don't like it. It was ok in Borderlands (especially when you're rocking some ludicrous SMG that's pinging thousands of 10's off some big bastard) but I'm less happy about it here. It might just be a reason to throw some of the same enemies at you with bigger numbers over their heads. Like Borderlands then. 1 hour into game: I killed a GRUNT 1. 10 hours into game: I killed an identical looking GRUNT 32. Nah, that's not Next Gen gaming, is it?

Pro: Main hub? There's a hub!

Con: Main hub? I wasn't exactly feeling it so far. Also, when I got bored on a mission I couldn't save midway through. The only option was "Return to Hub" or "Log out". I mean, what? Just save it. I'll be back later to pick up where I left off. Oh, actually I won't, oh ok then. Thanks.

That's only my first impressions though. I'll probably get into the swing of things when I've had more time with it, but I'm thinking actually that I might just wait till the full release.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 17:47 
Rude Belittler

How dare you impugn the might of Dinklage? Also, standard assault rifle? There's loads.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:00 
Excellent Member

The beta for this is going fully open on all four platforms this weekend so get in if you fancy it.

http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=11962

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:01 
8-Bit Champion

Beta is now open to anyone with either XBL or PS+

http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=11962

Quote:
he Beta has been eye-opening so far. We’ve watched the world of Destiny come to life. Guardians from every platform have arrived at the Tower from their battles in the wild. We have watched your adventures with great interest, and listened to your feedback. Your missions have provided us with volumes of discoveries we can use to prepare for the launch of Destiny in September.

Our work is not done. There is more we can learn. To make this happen, we need more Guardians to play. This is, above all else, a test.

Today, at 4:00 PM PDT, we’re opening the Destiny Beta to anyone who wants to create a character and walk in their boots. There are, of course, some requirements. Aside from all the standard requirements, you’ll need to be brave.

Help us deliver the game you deserve. Before we shut this party down, we’ll welcome everyone who wants a preview of this brave new world. If you have yet to play Destiny, look for offers to download the Beta directly from your console later on this afternoon.

If you have played the Beta, please prepare for new arrivals. We know you won’t go easy on them in the Crucible. Show no mercy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:07 
Excellent Member

*taptap*

Hello? Is this thing on?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:27 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I may have a go at the beta but then again, I think I'd rather wait to play the full game.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:31 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
I may have a go at the beta but then again, I think I'd rather wait to play the full game.

I was thinking that, then I realised there's pretty much zero chance of me buying it, considering I have no real interest in online multiplayer games these days. I might dabble with the Beta out of curiosity.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:52 
8-Bit Champion

Bamba wrote:
*taptap*

Hello? Is this thing on?

It depends if i have you on super mega ignore or not :-)

(Actually I posted almost at the same time as you)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 13:06 
Excellent Member

zaphod79 wrote:
It depends if i have you on super mega ignore or not :-)

Heh, the thought did cross my mind. But I reckoned you were probably on the quickly vanishing list of people I hadn't been a cunt to as yet. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 16:19 
EvilTrousers

Someone actually put these specific words in this particular order regarding Destiny;

Quote:
You should be able to tell a badass story for every sweet jewel in your arsenal.

Taken from http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... in-destiny

I miss UK Resistance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 17:14 
Hello Hello Hello

Trousers wrote:
Someone actually put these specific words in this particular order regarding Destiny;

Quote:
You should be able to tell a badass story for every sweet jewel in your arsenal.

Taken from http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... in-destiny

I miss UK Resistance.

I LOL-ed.

Attachment:
badass.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 13:32 
8-Bit Champion

Codes for 'extras' for the game (mainly icons for customization)

Enter them online here : http://www.bungie.net/en/User/coderedemption

Quote:
Grimoire Cards

Warlock: YKA-RJG-MH9
Titan: 3DA-P4X-F6A
Hunter: MVD-4N3-NKH
Fallen: Riksis, Devil Archon: TCN-HCD-TGY
Cosmodrone: HDX-ALM-V4K
Hive: 473-MXR-3X9
The Ocean of Storms, Moon: JMR-LFN-4A3
Gjallarhorn: HC3-H44-DKC
The Tower: 69P-KRM-JJA
The Last Word: 69P-VCH-337
Hive Ogre: 69R-CKD-X7L
Valley of Kings, Mars: 69R-DDD-FCP
The Fallen: 69R-F99-AXG
Red Death: 69R-VL7-J6A
Cabal: 69X-DJN-74V
Shattered Coast, Venus: 6A7-7NP-3X7
Vex: Minotaur: 6A9-DTG-YGN

Emblems

Sign of The Finite: 7F9-767-F74
Binding Focus: FJ9-LAM-67F
Illusion of Light: JD7-4CM-HJG
Ab Aeterno: JDT-NLC-JKM
Field of Light: JNX-DMH-XLA
Lone Focus, Jagged Edge: 7CP-94V-LFP

Shaders

Double Banshee: 7MM-VPD-MHP
Oracle 99: RXC-9XJ-4MH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 17:14 
Bad Girl

Is this out then?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 17:24 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
Is this out then?

Tomorrow (for the US version at least)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 19:12 
Bad Girl

Being dependant on tinternet and being the most pre-ordered game ever or something I expect it'll be down for about a few days upon release anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 21:54 
8-Bit Champion

Rab's first impressions of Destiny

http://www.amusementarcade.org/2014/09/ ... y-day-one/

Quote:
DESTINY DIARY: Day One

We’re conditioned, these days, to expect certain things from First Person Shooters.

We expect bombastic set-pieces. We expect to see buildings fall, bridges collapse and helicopters spin to a fiery doom. We expect control to be wrenched away from us at key moments, to let some kind of drama play out.

Bungie don’t make games like that.

Halo was built on simple fundamentals – great firefights, often. You would enter a room, spot the enemies, and then you would:

take cover

fire

flank

melee

take cover

fire

fire

And then you’d collect yourself, gather your thoughts, and move on.

My enthusiasm for Destiny, if I’m being honest, had waned over the months. Bungie weren’t at all clear about what kind of thing their new game actually was. I think they were maybe a little bit afraid of being direct with us about what they were delivering. And I understand why. See, here’s what I’m taking from my first day of Destiny – to make a game this elegant, this simple and this solid is incredibly brave.

Yesterday we made a joke about the Destiny User Reviews spilling all over Metacritic. It’s interesting to note that people who were scoring the score low all had similar complaints.

It’s boring.

And yeah, I can see why some might think that. There are no buildings falling. No screams of YEEEE-HA! No incredible scripted set-pieces. But there are small encounters, small firefights, with smart enemies. They are wonderful things to push through, as they always were in Halo.

Last night, in an early mission, I pushed the difficulty up to HARD. I found myself in a basement, being assaulted by hordes of these alien things. They were horrible things. Like fast zombies. If they get close they let you know all about it. And they just kept on coming. I was fighting them with this little handgun with a slow rate of fire but one hell of an impact. I would BLAM! take one down and then BLAM! another and then OH FUCK I MISSED and then back back back BLAM! oh no three more RELOAD RELOAD RELOAD come on come on BLAM!

It was exhilarating. Incredible. I was at the absolute edge of survival for about thirty minutes, trying to push into a room to take out a boss. I’d advance – the hordes would come. I’d clear them, push in, hurrying to finish the job before more enemies arrived. I’d dance, weave, putting bullets into the boss enemy, draining his shield. I’d hear that horde coming. COME ON COME ON.

Destiny_Screenshot_01

In the game, I’m a Hunter. I have a robot face and I use a handgun. I don’t think it’s the best weapon, but it makes me feel like a gunslinger. I pull it out, dance around a corner and BLAM! – if my shot is on point, the enemy is no more. It feels wonderful. There’s a tower, a central hub, where you can buy new kit and take new missions and look at yourself in third person. For me, all the levelling up and the loot is a side-issue. I only ever want to get back down to one of the planets, to have more firefights.

I go on patrol. It’s a giant open area, with flashing beacons scattered around. You activate these beacons to claim missions. Many of them are simply “KILL THE BADDIES”. I think to myself – “Good, that’s all I want to do.” The game then spawns groups of these baddies onto the map. You go and find your dance partners and you do your dance.

I call it a dance. The designers at Bungie have this special touch. It’s all touch and feel. The firefights, all of them, are so satisfying. The enemies are smart. It remains to be seen if they’re as smart as they were in Halo, but they certainly know when to hide and when to hurt you. The game is frighteningly addictive, because the promise of Destiny seems to be “these moments, forever”.

We’re always so underwhelmed these days, aren’t we? Let me step outside of the cynical HEREWORLD and look at this with a child’s eyes.

Imagine there’s this game where you can be this kind of space cowboy guy and you go down on these planets on a spaceship to kill all these baddies and all your pals can come down with you too. You can do it as a team. You can go hunting baddies like bounty hunters in a team. Like a team of bounty hunters! And it’s your actual pals. You can talk to them while you’re playing. And the special effects are amazing like Star Wars. And the skies-

Oh, the skies. The skies.

-are beautiful. Big alien skies. Oh, and you can get new clothes and new gear for your guy. And new guns. And you can sell stuff and make money. And you can go to this planet where you can fight all different people from all over the world. And there are these speeder bike things. And big gun turrets. And when your guy gets powered up he has this magic FIRE GUN and he shoots everybody with it. Oh, and your guy gets stronger and stronger and looks cooler and cooler.

And, hey, forget about all that. What that young boy won’t focus on is what really matters – the brilliance of those firefights.

This is boring, they say.

I don’t want to be that guy. You know – the guy who says “Well, you just don’t get it.” But I do think that people who play games have been conditioned to expect the wrong things from First Person Shooters, and I think they feel hard-done-by if they don’t get them.

First Person Shooters aren’t about witnessing a spectacle. They’re about being the fucking spectacle.

Destiny, only 6 or so hours in, is a Bungie game. Bungie, not of Cutscene Evolved or Killstreak Evolved, but of Combat Evolved.

Combat. Firefights.

These moments, forever? Yes, please.

BLAM!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 22:01 
ugvm'er at heart...

This is being delivered to me tomorrow. Anybody played it yet?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 22:18 
Bad Girl

I don't know who Rab is but his diary has made me not want to play Destiny. It sounds boring.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 22:22 
UltraMod

It sounds like the original Halo trilogy without the good bits.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 22:25 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
This is being delivered to me tomorrow. Anybody played it yet?

Reportage from three of the guys at work.

#1 - Console fanboy who calls me a snobby PC cunt (I cheerfully reciprocate the sentiment and call him a console pauper).

Really enjoying it but already got two characters to Level 12 (cap is 20), says it's Halo with RPG/MMO stuff bolted on, so if this is the sort of thing you like....

#2 - Primarily PC gamer but likes his console games too.

Enjoying it in the main but finding it a bit limited and lacking any semblance of the depth of a game like WoW. Also a bit generic and shootery.

#3 - PC gamer who bought an XBox One just to play Destiny because he has big man-love for anything with an MMO slant.

Finds it a bit tedious and impossible to control with a pad. Has only seen one other person outside of the hub areas when he's doing his questing stuff.

CONCLUSION - I can't see myself snagging an XBoner to play this game.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 22:28 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

The more I read about it, the more I want it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 23:11 
8-Bit Champion

Hearthly wrote:

You can of course play it on a 360 , a PS3 or a PS4 :-)

And plenty of rumors still flying about of a PC version

Took ages to download for me but did the first few missions tonight - however i'd already played those in the beta - its a very halo like feel but with MMO and groups stuff added on , I do think it we could get a few people here who played it would be great to group up and take on some of the bigger bosses / challenges in the game

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 23:13 
Rude Belittler

I'm enjoying it immensely. Largely for the reasons that Rab states. The combat is fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:28 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

You can of course play it on a 360 , a PS3 or a PS4 :-)

It's platform-locked though so you can only play multiplayer with people on the same platform as you, and everyone in our gaff has gone XBoner, for some reason.

(Chap #3 above actually changed from his intention of getting a PS4 to an XBoner, so he'd be able to do multiplayer shizzles with the other chaps in the office.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:44 
Hello Hello Hello

First impressions from Eurogamer are hardly mind-blowing.....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... mpressions

This really isn't how an MMO style game should make you feel....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:27 
Rude Belittler

It's not really a MMO though. For the most part it feels like an open world shooter that other players wander through. Even the strikes feel more like a multi player Halo session rather than MMO dungeon. There's no Trinity, it's all about the shooting.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:29 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Hearthly wrote:

I think that article reads ok. Maybe my expectations are lower? That's years of playing old arcade games for you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:11 
Bad Girl

TheVision wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

I think that article reads ok. Maybe my expectations are lower? That's years of playing old arcade games for you.

Really? I read:

Quote:
Who needs purpose or narrative drive after surviving a Strike, or when celebrating another victory in The Crucible? The social moments really string Destiny together, the magic coming in those random encounters when exploring the wilder world - little flashes of camaraderie between strangers that are invariably punctuated by dance-offs before players go their separate ways.

I thought I need purpose and narrative drive, otherwise I'm just playing a mindless videogame about shooting and jumping about. That's not enough to sustain me longer than a couple of months and even then without a purpose I'll be wondering why I'm wasting my time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Detail/201993

The PS4 UGVM clan is up and running if people want others to play with.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
I thought I need purpose and narrative drive, otherwise I'm just playing a mindless videogame about shooting and jumping about. That's not enough to sustain me longer than a couple of months and even then without a purpose I'll be wondering why I'm wasting my time.

:this:

Even what may on the surface be a shallow shoot-em-up needs a story, characters, a sense of purpose. Take for example Borderlands 2, (which you could take as a mindless shooty looter), that just flat-out wouldn't work without knowing right from the off you're after Handsome Jack, with him taunting you all the time, discovering the audio diaries of the horrors he's been up to, seeing the story progress, watching your band of comrades rise and fall and rise again, TINY FUCKING TINA!!!, leading to that final showdown with someone you feel you actually know and whose ass you really want to kick.

Or WoW, christ it's pretty binary, if you're Alliance then HORDE = BAD, if you're Horde then ALLIANCE = BAD (albeit the story becomes massively more nuanced as the game runs forward) - but again, from the very beginning of the game you know at the most basic level, who the goodies and baddies are, and what your place in the world is.

If a professional videogames reviewer doesn't know after seven hours of Destiny gameplay what he's doing, and why, then that game has got a seriously dysfunctional story, if it even has one at all.....

And it looks to me as if everyone agrees on the shit, bland, boring voice acting (even people who really dig the game itself), and again, that's a big problem for me.

I need to identify with the world I'm in and the characters who populate it, and understand my place in that world, otherwise it does indeed just feel like a waste of time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:48 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Like I said, maybe my expectations are lower? I may get it today and find out what it's all about. I did really enjoy Halo after all so why wouldn't I like this?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 13:37 
Rude Belittler

Destiny absolutely has a story. It's not at the forefront all the time, just like the Horde vs Alliance story is not at the forefront all the time in WoW.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 14:04 
Hello Hello Hello

Pundabaya wrote:
Destiny absolutely has a story. It's not at the forefront all the time, just like the Horde vs Alliance story is not at the forefront all the time in WoW.

Well I can only go with what I've read about Destiny, and from three first hand accounts at work, but I'm not pretending I've played the game for myself so my comments have that limitation. (The Eurogamer comments (once you've filtered out the usual trolls) has some interesting commentary from folks who clearly expected a lot more.)

What I will say about WoW though is you absolutely know your place in the wider world right from the start, each race gets its own cinematic intro and its own unique starting area, which establishes character, motivation and affiliation, and sets up the overarching narrative. In short, you know who you are, what you're doing, and why you're doing it.

Even the guy who's a mega-XBox lover cheerfully admitted he had no real idea who he was or what was going on in Destiny, but that he loved shooting the shit out of everything so it didn't matter.

Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next