Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Post subject: Broken GFX card, partial refund?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 13:55 
Excellent Member

Hi

So full disclosure, I bought Zeppos PC build off him a little while back. he has put it together from decent parts.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10118

So I am not the original owner, but have kept and used the card the same as he would have, not overclocked or tampered etc etc.

Turns out the XFX GFX card bust within a year.
I think I am within my (moral if not totally legal) rights to seek a refund.

As such I reported this to the vendor, who ignored me, had to be chased, lied, ignored, until finally gave me an RMA number.
I send the card off, chased, followed up etc etc and was fianlly told it was broken and a refund would be processed.
You guess it more chasing and lies and delays, until today I find out the card was refunded at almost £100 less than the purchase price.
I have queried this strongly with the vendor who claim that its reasonable to only expect "market value" for the card after nearly 1 years use.
I diasgree, the product completely failed, was recognised as faulty by the manufacturer. The fact the manufacturer only credited the vendor with £100 less is not my fault, as the contract for the sale was with the vendor, and inside the SOGA 1979 and basic statutory rights, one has 6 years to make a claim, outside of reasonable "wear and tear".

What are your thoughts?
I would welcome those from people who arent just gonna say "yeah but you bought it from someone else so be thankful for what you got"
I do recognise a partial refund in this case, particularly from a complete shambles on a company, is a small victory, but I personally still feel its bullshit

Anyone else have similar experience?

Post subject: Re: Broken GFX card, partial refund?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 13:58 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Can you buy the exact same card for the money they returned to you? If so, I wouldn't be too upset, it is a bit crap, but these things tend to prgress rapidly and prices can fluctuate loads (as I am sure you know).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 14:04 

LaceSensor wrote:
and inside the SOGA 1979 and basic statutory rights, one has 6 years to make a claim, outside of reasonable "wear and tear".

No, the six years clause includes adjustment for usage and not just wear and tear. Suppose your £500 washing machine breaks down after three years and you end up in court. The magistrate, if ruling in your favour, will award a partial refund on the basis that you had a working machine for three years. This would include consideration of how long a washing machine should reasonably last.

LaceSensor wrote:
So full disclosure, I bought Zeppos PC build off him a little while back. he has put it together from decent parts.

So I am not the original owner,
So the seller has no contract of sale to you; you're lucky to have gotten anything out of this (without going back to Zeppo.)

Quote:
You guess it more chasing and lies and delays, until today I find out the card was refunded at almost £100 less than the purchase price.
If you were the original buyer, you'd still only be entitled to refund, replacement, or repair at the seller's option. As Bobbyaro said, if an equivalent card can be bought today for £100 less than it cost at the time of sale, I think that's a very reasonable settlement.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 14:05 
Excellent Member

Bobbyaro wrote:
Can you buy the exact same card for the money they returned to you? If so, I wouldn't be too upset, it is a bit crap, but these things tend to prgress rapidly and prices can fluctuate loads (as I am sure you know).

No, the card is no longer made
According to comparison articles, the R9 280x is a comparable card performance and spec wise (within 1fps in most tests) and that goes for £180 upwards

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 14:07 
Excellent Member

LaceSensor wrote:

So I am not the original owner,
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
So the seller has no contract of sale to you; you're lucky to have gotten anything out of this (without going back to Zeppo.)

Zeppo has helped a bit. The refund is going to his card (another side issue, he no longer has that card due a fraud case...) so whether I get the refund is up to him.

LaceSensor wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
If you were the original buyer, you'd still only be entitled to refund, replacement, or repair at the seller's option.As Bobbyaro said, if an equivalent card can be bought today for £100 less than it cost at the time of sale, I think that's a very reasonable settlement.

equivalent card is between £30-£70 more to purchase.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 15:06 

You can buy my XFX 7970 and I can get an upgrade? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 15:47 
Excellent Member

hahah, possibly (!)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 15:55 
Excellent Member

Would have thought you would get full refund under 12 months?

Graphic Card warranties are a bit odd, many of them require a receipt of purchase and name and address before they kick in. Then if sold on there is hassle like you describe.

If I sold you a laptop with remaining warranty it would just be honoured as its on the serial number of the hardware not the owner.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 15:58 
Gogmagog

asfish wrote:

If I sold you a laptop with remaining warranty it would just be honoured as its on the serial number of the hardware not the owner.

Really?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 16:03 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
asfish wrote:

Really?

For the HP stuff we use at work, we buy those from a supplier in Belgium and they are sent here to various UK sites. Then those site IT guys can call up HP in the UK for support and as long as the serial on the laptop has support active and left they will support it.

So if I was told to flog some unwanted laptops off on Ebay by work and you bought one and it had support left on it then HP would support it.

Suppose I have always had a work laptop so maybe its different for PC World personal laptops? :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 16:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Yeah, Dell never care who we are before they replace something, only that it's within the time period (3 years).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 16:18 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Surely you can expect a graphics card to last more than 12 months though? I'm sure there's some law about the length of time something should reasonably last but I don't know it and I'm no expert so I'll be quiet now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 16:27 
Gogmagog

TheVision wrote:
Surely you can expect a graphics card to last more than 12 months though? I'm sure there's some law about the length of time something should reasonably last but I don't know it and I'm no expert so I'll be quiet now.

The Sale of Goods Act says it must last a reasonable time.

However, here, that cannot be relied upon as he bought it from elsewhere so the seller has no connection at all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 16:31 

Grim... wrote:
Yeah, Dell never care who we are before they replace something, only that it's within the time period (3 years).

That's Dell being nice, it isn't legally obligated to honor warranties where it has no contract of sale with you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 16:42 
Excellent Member

fuck it ill stick with my -£100 refund if it ever floats from the ether to Zeppos account
In the meanwhile ive been without a PC for 3 months now in lieu of this so have ordered a R9 290x

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 16:55 
Hello Hello Hello

LaceSensor wrote:
fuck it ill stick with my -£100 refund if it ever floats from the ether to Zeppos account
In the meanwhile ive been without a PC for 3 months now in lieu of this so have ordered a R9 290x

Erk, I hope it's one with a third party cooler on it and not the stock AMD cooler.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 17:13 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
LaceSensor wrote:
fudge it ill stick with my -£100 refund if it ever floats from the ether to Zeppos account

Erk, I hope it's one with a third party cooler on it and not the stock AMD cooler.

Gigabyte one with 3 fans on top "Windforce" ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 17:15 
UltraMod

I see on FB Zeppo has just bought some new shoes. Nice!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 17:26 
Hello Hello Hello

LaceSensor wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
LaceSensor wrote:
fudge it ill stick with my -£100 refund if it ever floats from the ether to Zeppos account

Gigabyte one with 3 fans on top "Windforce" ?

Ahhh right that'll be fine. The stock coolers sound like leafblowers and even then don't stop the cards getting so hot that the GPU throttles.

Meaty power requirements on all 290X cards, you'll need a 6-pin and an 8-pin connector and a power supply with a solid 12V rail or rails. (Generally reckoned to be a minimum of a 600W PSU with 33A on the 12V rail if it's a single rail, or you can split that if it has more than one 12V rail.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 17:28 
Excellent Member

luckily I upgraded the PSU, so its a Corsair 750 with all the pins one might need

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F ... ge_o03_s00

when the GFX card was dying, I actually changed the PSU as I felt that was at fault first hand...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 18:53 
Hello Hello Hello

Aye you'll be right with that, Corsair power supplies are superb.

Bit pricey likes, but if there's one thing you don't want to skimp on it's the power supply.

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]