Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: B&B 43
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 14:48 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Bamba wrote:
Oh dear, it would appear the National Lottery's website was designed by retarded monkeys.

I login and go to update my address with them, which involves a postcode lookup. My address is returned from that lookup with a flat number in the format '2/2', which is all fine and good. When I try to submit that it errors because the address line contains an invalid character i.e. the slash. If I change that slash to a dash and submit it the process fails because they can't validate the new address; because their address database has no trace of a flat number '2-2'. They've designed it such that the field validation isn't compatible with the address data they force you to use!

Congratulations, you fucking idiots!

See also Barclaycard, who automatically look up my address from the postcode, then reject it for the first line being too long.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 14:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Fucking dicks.

So.. the earlier posts MaliA made asking if anyone was free for lunch a while back, my response to that, then the couple of posts this week about me and MaliA meeting up, passed you by then? ;)

Obviously.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 14:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Fucking dicks.

So.. the earlier posts MaliA made asking if anyone was free for lunch a while back, my response to that, then the couple of posts this week about me and MaliA meeting up, passed you by then? ;)

Obviously.

You dick.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 15:04 
Gogmagog

Lolz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 15:04 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
I login and go to update my address with them, which involves a postcode lookup. My address is returned from that lookup with a flat number in the format '2/2', which is all fine and good. When I try to submit that it errors because the address line contains an invalid character i.e. the slash. If I change that slash to a dash and submit it the process fails because they can't validate the new address; because their address database has no trace of a flat number '2-2'. They've designed it such that the field validation isn't compatible with the address data they force you to use!

I used to live in a flat that thought it would be "trendy" to have a decimal place in your number. I was floor eighteen, flat six, so my flat number was "18.06".

I used to get that shit constantly. I couldn't get a mortgage (this came up on here recently), and had a hell of a time trying to get a mobile phone on contract or a credit card.

Dicks.

Couldn't you have put in 18/06 or 18-06 instead? All of the flats I've ever lived in are "X/Y" officially but I found that a dash instead makes any letters perfectly deliverable and is accepted by most every website. The only proper issue I had in the past was when sites didn't have my flat number at all in any form; so I would have to get it added to the Royal Mail's database and then wait for the update to propagate before I could buy shit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 15:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Couldn't you have put in 18/06 or 18-06 instead?

That would be an address that doesn't exist, and would cause the same problems :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 15:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

And it might go to either flat 3 or flat 12.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 15:22 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:

Then you could change your address to flat 3/0 for revenge.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 15:25 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:

On the 18th June.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:01 
Gogmagog

You know how I complain about needing a permit to use the tip? Fly tipping is on the up in Bradford since July when this scheme was introduced. Fucking ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:28 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
You know how I complain about needing a permit to use the tip? Fly tipping is on the up in Bradford since July when this scheme was introduced. Fucking ridiculous.

I once took my work's van to the tip in Nottingham and was told I needed a permit. If you take a normal car you don't.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:35 

Yeah, that's the same here in Shrewsbury. It's a pain in the arse - my Dad has a transit minibus that has a wheelchair lift that is used exclusively to shift my Mum around in.

I thought one day that it would be useful to fill it full of my crap (I took my Mum out first) and take that to the tip, but no - they consider it a commercial vehicle - even though it's taxed as a private one. They wouldn't let me in.

They also stop you from parking up outside and walking your rubbish in, which in busy periods means that you will often queue for up to an hour in your car to get in - and most people leave their engines running of course, which presumably kind of upsets the whole "environmentally friendly recycling" thing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:41 
Gogmagog

(passim) I had a sofa in the back of a hired transit when I moved house. I had a discussion with the man at the tip as he said it was a commercial vehicle so i asked him how I was meant to get a 3 seater sofa into a Ford Ka. He let me in eventually, after I showed him it was only a sofa in the van.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:43 
UltraMod

GazChap wrote:
which presumably kind of upsets the whole "environmentally friendly recycling" thing.

Only if they're all GT Fours.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:23 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Quite a good post breaking down background / payments / kickstartery stuff from the team that made Shovel Knight

http://yachtclubgames.com/2014/08/sales-one-month/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:26 
Gogmagog

Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Fucking dicks.

Obviously.

You dick.

I had to text Curio for your number as it wasn't in my phone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:30 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm an enigma.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 13:34 
Excellent Member

A quick visit to my flat today ahead of moving back in on Saturday proves that Sky are as good as their word and I've got internet! Woo!

On the downside there are some pretty alarming stains on the walls/ceiling of the bathroom which presumably are, or have been, water related. I spoke to the letting agent who spoke to the tenant and she reports not having seen anything like that and she'd have reported it if she had. I can't think of any reason the tenant would lie about that, but she only moved out like a week ago; which leaves the horrible possibility that the flat above's bathroom has sprung some kind leak very recently and that one of my first actions will be trying to get hold of them and get it investigated. Fucking joy on a stick. I have been in and and out the place a few times over the last week and noticed the marks instantly but didn't think to take pictures so I could gauge if it was getting worse or not. I fucking hate dealing with this kind of shit and it's doing nothing to make me look forward to moving into a place that's already crapper and smaller than where I'm coming from. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 13:40 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Bamba wrote:
A quick visit to my flat today ahead of moving back in on Saturday proves that Sky are as good as their word and I've got internet! Woo!

On the downside there are some pretty alarming stains on the walls/ceiling of the bathroom which presumably are, or have been, water related. I spoke to the letting agent who spoke to the tenant and she reports not having seen anything like that and she'd have reported it if she had. I can't think of any reason the tenant would lie about that, but she only moved out like a week ago; which leaves the horrible possibility that the flat above's bathroom has sprung some kind leak very recently and that one of my first actions will be trying to get hold of them and get it investigated. Fucking joy on a stick. I have been in and and out the place a few times over the last week and noticed the marks instantly but didn't think to take pictures so I could gauge if it was getting worse or not. I fucking hate dealing with this kind of shit and it's doing nothing to make me look forward to moving into a place that's already crapper and smaller than where I'm coming from. :(

They will lie as they want the deposit back...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 13:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Did the letting agent not inspect it when the tenant moved out?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 14:00 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Bamba wrote:
I have been in and and out the place a few times over the last week and noticed the marks instantly but didn't think to take pictures so I could gauge if it was getting worse or not.

Mark the outer edges of the stain with a graphite pencil (gently). If the leak is on going it will be obvious within a day or so. If not then you can rub off the pencil mark and paint over it (as long as the plasterboard has dried out).

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 14:08 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:

Really sorry to hear this, I hope it can be resolved quickly easily.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 14:09 
Excellent Member

KovacsC wrote:
They will lie as they want the deposit back...

I'm not sure 'getting the deposit' back is really a reason to lie about this. She could've just reported it at the time and got it sorted with no blame/financial liability ever in any danger of being laid at her door. Why wouldn't she mention it if it started happening while she were there?

Cras wrote:
Did the letting agent not inspect it when the tenant moved out?

Yes, and that was the subject of today's phone call from the letting agent which, completely coincidentally, came in at the same time I was arriving at the flat today. She opened by asking if I had any issues at all and I said it was spotless apart from this issue. She checked the report while I was on the phone which did mention it but as it's not something the tenant could actually have caused their recommendation was simply to contact the people above me about a leak.

Slightly Green wrote:
Mark the outer edges of the stain with a graphite pencil (gently). If the leak is on going it will be obvious within a day or so. If not then you can rub off the pencil mark and paint over it (as long as the plasterboard has dried out).

This is a very good idea indeed, I'll do this on Saturday when I move in (as well as checking with the people upstairs) and see what's what.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 14:12 

Mine could have told me about issues. They did not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 14:14 
Excellent Member

KovacsC wrote:

Yes, but the issues you're dealing with are damage the tenant themselves did so there's a motive to keep schtum there as you'd likely have charged them to fix stuff. In this case the tenant couldn't possible be blamed for water coming in from above so why would she hide it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 14:17 

Bamba wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

Yes, but the issues you're dealing with are damage the tenant themselves did so there's a motive to keep schtum there as you'd likely have charged them to fix stuff. In this case the tenant couldn't possible be blamed for water coming in from above so why would she hide it?

I suppose so. Just seems odd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 14:22 
Excellent Member

KovacsC wrote:
Bamba wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

I suppose so. Just seems odd

Yeah, it does seem odd one way or another but what can you do? Hopefully it'll turn out to be a non-issue and a coat of paint will sort it out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 14:34 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I can imagine that if it happened in the last few weeks of the tenancy, then the tenants may have kept schtum as they didn't want to deal with people fixing the issue while they were still in there, rather than avoidance of blame.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 14:55 
Gogmagog

This comet thing is a bit of a neat trick, isn't it? Most impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 14:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 15:19 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:

Ten and a half years ago, the ESA launched a probe. Today it has parked itself 100km from a comet and is taking photos, etc, and will throw a launcher at it to land to do chemistry or whatever whilst Aerosmith play on in the background.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 15:26 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Ten and a half years ago, the ESA launched a probe. Today it has parked itself 100km from a comet and is taking photos, etc, and will throw a launcher at it to land to do chemistry or whatever whilst Aerosmith play on in the background.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-28659783

Quote:
Project scientist, Dr Matt Taylor, said: "For me this is the sexiest, most fantastic mission there's ever been. It's ticking a number of boxes in terms of fascination, exploration, technology and science - predominantly science."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 15:40 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
Slightly Green wrote:

This is a very good idea indeed, I'll do this on Saturday when I move in (as well as checking with the people upstairs) and see what's what.

And photograph it for historical accuracy and just in case there's a repeat later on and someone tries to blame you. It's not uncommon, say, for people to leave the agents; new employees come in and the agency hasn't got very good records and/or someone hasn't written it down and some smart arse comes in and says "That's damp. You should your radiators on and open the bathroom window when having a bath etc. It's your fault."

That's when you pull out your photographs and lawyer-up.

Have you got a schedule of delapidations as part of your agreement? Make sure it's on there if you have.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 16:07 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Slightly Green wrote:

And photograph it for historical accuracy and just in case there's a repeat later on and someone tries to blame you. It's not uncommon, say, for people to leave the agents; new employees come in and the agency hasn't got very good records and/or someone hasn't written it down and some smart arse comes in and says "That's damp. You should your radiators on and open the bathroom window when having a bath etc. It's your fault."

Have you got a schedule of delapidations as part of your agreement? Make sure it's on there if you have.

You can schedule dilapidations now? Well, that's certainly more convenient that just waiting for them to happen.

Seriously though, if things go wrong and I was to try and pull some kind of legal bullshit on myself I'm relatively sure I could just go round my own flat and threaten to break my own arms, and that'll be the end of it. I'm sure I'm a total pussy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 16:14 

Bamba wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Slightly Green wrote:

You can schedule dilapidations now? Well, that's certainly more convenient that just waiting for them to happen.

Seriously though, if things go wrong and I was to try and pull some kind of legal bullshit on myself I'm relatively sure I could just go round my own flat and threaten to break my own arms, and that'll be the end of it. I'm sure I'm a total pussy.

:DD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 16:50 
Bad Girl

Scotland sounds fun!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 17:57 

Having a post-work, pre-bus home pint, and and the landlord just started handing out these beer mats:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 18:11 

er...

:DD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 18:49 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I agree with Mali.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:18 
Gogmagog

Quiet chortle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:25 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

If that had happened two years ago, I doubt anyone would have noticed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 16:10 
Gogmagog

I still can't fathom why people buy quad bikes to use on the road in urban areas. I say people, but I do mean oiks. They can't filter on them, and they look fucking stupid. All the disadvantages of a motorbike with none of the advantages. They are becoming more and more popular as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 16:12 

Perk of new job: big picture window giving great views of drunks beating the crap out of each other.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 16:13 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
I still can't fathom why people buy quad bikes to use on the road in urban areas. I say people, but I do mean oiks. They can't filter on them, and they look fucking stupid. All the disadvantages of a motorbike with none of the advantages. They are becoming more and more popular as well.

I'm against fun today.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 16:14 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
Perk of new job: big picture window giving great views of drunks beating the crap out of each other.

Ouch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 16:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:

Because they're awesome, fewl.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 16:16 
Unpossible!

And cheap!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 18:08 

And because you don't need to do a bike test.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 19:47 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

There was an article in the free paper today from a Dr in France who is doing a study into accents. He wants to record several people from the Black Country and keep their voices on an official record for years to come.

I've volunteered myself and he's coming to visit and record me at the end of the month. How exciting! My voice will be officially saved forever. Maybe they'll be able to clone me back to life using it in a thousand years time?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 21:03 

I've just noticed that when you move your cursor around teh screen teh snow follows in teh same direction.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 60  Next