Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: B&B 43
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 13:42 
Awesome
Yes

Also known as 'Facebook codes messenger app badly so that people stop messaging and instead have their interactions out in public for extra interaction, dramas and ad potentials.'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 13:43 
Excellent Member

Hmmm, the app wasn't running as I hadn't used it since the last reboot of my phone so I launched and then minimised it and it's grabbed 3% of overall battery usage since my last post. That's not great really.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 13:53 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

wow, that is bad. I have refused to load it on my phone, as I don't get many messages, and don't want another always on app running (esp if this bad at battery life).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 13:59 
Excellent Member

Bobbyaro wrote:
wow, that is bad. I have refused to load it on my phone, as I don't get many messages, and don't want another always on app running (esp if this bad at battery life).

I was put off for a while by the horrendous list of permissions but a few of my mates kept using it to arrange nights out so I'd only know what was happening whenever I went and refreshed the website. Now I've switched onto the Facebook app (which is a shitload more usable than the website on my phone) I'm completely screwed if anyone messages me and I don't have the Messenger app installed (as I understand it).

So, in summary: bollocks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 13:59 
Excellent Member

But it's cool, because Zio's going to fix all this of course.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 14:18 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Bamba wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

I was put off for a while by the horrendous list of permissions but a few of my mates kept using it to arrange nights out so I'd only know what was happening whenever I went and refreshed the website. Now I've switched onto the Facebook app (which is a shitload more usable than the website on my phone) I'm completely screwed if anyone messages me and I don't have the Messenger app installed (as I understand it).

yes it was the permissions that seem a bit OTT.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 14:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yeah, but you've only read the permissions because of the scaremongering stories. Go look at a sample of other apps, like WhatsApp. Same permissions. Because Android doesn't have granularity of permissions between 'obviously needs this to allow you to take a photo and send it' and ZOMG IT CAN USE MY CAMERA WHENEVER IT WANTS. The wording off the permissions is a bit terrifying, but yeah. It asks for what it needs to be able to do the job it does.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 14:55 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
Yeah, but you've only read the permissions because of the scaremongering stories.

No, it's just because I'm a bit iffy in general of Facebook plundering my phone contact data. The website's fine because it doesn't have access to anything in my Google account but I was always a bit worried about the Facebook app which meant I was looking at the permissions for the Messenger app with the same suspicion. Although I can't remember why I was suspicious of the main Facebook app now. I think I read something years ago about it not being very clear that it was going to harvest your Google contacts and make connections based on that data, or something, which they've probably fixed now anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 15:10 

zaphod79 wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Most larger post offices have a fast track queue to accept pre-paid registered/SD items.

And a machine to weigh / pay for your postage without dealing with the queues.

They have the machines in Fareham and its fine until you have to get proof of postage (virtually everything) or are sending something special delivery and then have to join the fast track queue.

The issue is the fast track queue is also the lottery / postal supplies queue so is often just as long as the normal queue :-)

There is a great system in teh PO near us. You pick up a deli-style ticket by visiting a little electronic terminal which issues you a deli-style ticket according to the service9s) you require. You then take a seat and a screen system filters you into one of a number of queues depending on the sevices most under demand and those that require various amounts of time/expertise to deal with.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 15:13 

I haven't noticed anything awful aboutthe messanger app, and it hasn't affected my battery life. My only complaint is it seems to have increased the number of people sending me messages, and half of them i have no interest in chatting to.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 15:38 

Bamba wrote:
I'm completely screwed if anyone messages me and I don't have the Messenger app installed (as I understand it).

Actually, you aren't, just log into the website from a web browser and you can see them all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 15:40 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bobbyaro wrote:
Bamba wrote:
I'm completely screwed if anyone messages me and I don't have the Messenger app installed (as I understand it).

Actually, you aren't, just log into the website from a web browser and you can see them all.

Yeah, that's what I do now. You don't get notifications though if you do that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 16:01 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Well, yeah, but the context of my comment there was with me having moved to use the app almost exclusively to access Facebook, and that won't tell you about messages as it assumes you've installed the separate Messenger app. To reliably get messages you need to either (a) use the Facebook website for general access or (b) install both the main Facebook app and separate Messenger app.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 17:34 

I have notifications turned off, but the widget lets you know there is a notification, and then you load the app and if it is a message you log into the website. Not ideal, but if the messenger is as bad as people say, then ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 19:29 
Soopah red DS

Mimi wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Most larger post offices have a fast track queue to accept pre-paid registered/SD items.

They have the machines in Fareham and its fine until you have to get proof of postage (virtually everything) or are sending something special delivery and then have to join the fast track queue.

The issue is the fast track queue is also the lottery / postal supplies queue so is often just as long as the normal queue :-)

There is a great system in teh PO near us. You pick up a deli-style ticket by visiting a little electronic terminal which issues you a deli-style ticket according to the service9s) you require. You then take a seat and a screen system filters you into one of a number of queues depending on the sevices most under demand and those that require various amounts of time/expertise to deal with.

Ooh yeah, I went into one like that in Central London. Expected sending a parcel to take ten minutes or so, actually I was in and out within two minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 19:40 
ugvm'er at heart...

JBR wrote:
Mimi wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Ooh yeah, I went into one like that in Central London. Expected sending a parcel to take ten minutes or so, actually I was in and out within two minutes.

The Reading one like that does a great second hand ticket trade, as people give up waiting after half an hour and walk out. They have a person on the door to collect their ticket from them and hand it out to a new person who arrives :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:28 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Scotland! I am in yies!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:56 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
Scotland! I am in yies!

Where exactly are you?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:57 
Excellent Member

So we know where to send the gunmen obviously.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 13:00 
Sleepyhead

Bamba wrote:

:DD

He's just come in to get voting rights.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 13:01 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:
Bamba wrote:

:DD

He's just come in to get voting rights.

Bloody foreigners.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 13:03 
UltraMod

Vote YES for a prosperous rUK!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 13:07 
Gogmagog

Luckily, I remembered it is my wedding anniversary on Monday. First year is cotton, so I nipped to Tesco and bought MrsA a tea towel.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 13:08 
Excellent Member

American Nervoso wrote:

I'm going to vote Yes for the peace of mind that a formal border control separates you from me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 13:09 
Excellent Member

Maybe that'll succeed where the restraining order has failed so woefully.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 13:21 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:

I'm going to vote Yes for the peace of mind that a formal border control separates you from me.

I've got three letters for you: CTA.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 13:26 
ugvm'er at heart...

MaliA wrote:
Luckily, I remembered it is my wedding anniversary on Monday. First year is cotton, so I nipped to Tesco and bought MrsA a tea towel.

Blimey, so it is. I thought it was paper.

Hmmm...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 13:30 
UltraMod

Trooper wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Blimey, so it is. I thought it was paper.

Hmmm...

It's paper if you're American, those two are switched around.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 13:38 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28896675

Quote:
A man has been jailed for 33 months after recording Fast And Furious 6 from the back of a cinema in Walsall.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 14:14 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Bamba wrote:
Cras wrote:
Scotland! I am in yies!

Where exactly are you?

Aviemore ish.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 14:44 
INFINITE POWAH

But why?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 14:47 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Cras wrote:
Scotland! I am in yies!

Where exactly are you?

Aviemore ish.

Nowhere near me then really. Oh well, enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 14:48 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
But why?

Cos he'd walk five hundred miles.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 14:53 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I always thought that 500 miles was justified as a concept.

Its the missing song afterwards when he has to walk 500 miles back having got his end away and being bloody shattered that I don't think should be disregarded.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 14:57 

Somehow, and I believe more by chance than by skill, I have avoided a full-blown mental breakdown today.

Through, frankly, other peoples' incompetance, I have experienced what has been probably the worst handling of a situation that I have ever encountered. Without boring you, someone has probably made about every mistake possible between monday and Wednesday, gone on holiday and the result of all those problems hit us yesterday and today.

I did snap a little when someone tried to bare-faced lie to me, though only by telling them that no, that wasn't tre, but how I have not stormed around the office with a chainsaw and lopped off heads I do not know.

And I have just found out that, somehow, I have fixed all those problems. Problems so big that nobody thought we could find a solution without massive costs costing thousands. And, somehow, I've done it without us losing a penny.

And who is here to congratulate or than me? Nobody. Just me.

Well, well done me.

I actually want to go and have a little cry, but I refuse to give anyone the enjoyment of that sight. I'll do it when I get home.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 14:59 

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

Its the missing song afterwards when he has to walk 500 miles back having got his end away and being bloody shattered that I don't think should be disregarded.

He's not walking to see her, he's walking just to be the man who would perform teh crazy act of walking 1000 miles to her door. He clearly lives next door to her, walks 500 miles away then 500 miles back. It's a round trip.

I'm sure if she was sensible she'd turn him away as he'd clearly mental.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 15:08 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I want to hear the song about helmet chaffing, damnit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 15:09 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mimi wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

He's not walking to see her, he's walking just to be the man who would perform teh crazy act of walking 1000 miles to her door. He clearly lives next door to her, walks 500 miles away then 500 miles back. It's a round trip.

I'm sure if she was sensible she'd turn him away as he'd clearly mental.

:blown:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 17:55 
ugvm'er at heart...

Ohhhh... ALS is Motor Neurone Disease. Why the rebranding?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 18:25 
Isn't that lovely?

Trooper wrote:
Ohhhh... ALS is Motor Neurone Disease. Why the rebranding?

I think that's like saying, why have taps been rebranded faucets, why have pavements been rebranded sidewalks and why have they rebranded lifts to elevators.

What I am saying is that in America they call Motor Neurone Disease ALS.

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 18:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
But why?

It's all Disney's fault.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 19:53 
INFINITE POWAH

You've gone to see where they filmed Brave?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 20:38 
INFINITE POWAH

Sometimes it's very hard not to laugh at your children.

I popped out to the shops earlier, and on the way out starting doing the "manamana" thing from the Muppets. The kids asked what it was, and I explained it was a song from a TV show when I was a kid, and that it had stuck in my head since then. they asked to see it, so whilst I was out Ruth showed them the video on Youtube, which they hugely enjoyed. Fast forward a few hours, and Second Born can't sleep and is in fits of tears because "that song's a brainworm and it will be there forever and I can't sleep and I wish I'd never watched it".

Tomorrow I'll leekspin him.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 0:46 

Make them watch Watership Down, that'll learn 'em.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 20:37 
markg wrote:
Make them watch Watership Down, that'll learn 'em.

That still gives me nightmares.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 21:50 
Noob as of 6/8/10

My wife and I were driving back from from lunch yesterday when we saw a rather plump girl strolling along the pavement in an inappropriately short and tight pair of denim shorts, with black tights beneath. I resisted the temptation to make a comment, but my wife didn't.

"Would you?" she said.

What went through my head was, "she's not my type," but I knew what she really meant was, "would you wear those shorts if you were built like that?"

Maybe you had to be there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 21:56 

:D you should have said, "yes".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 23:39 
Best
Board Mother

I am at a wedding. It is full of geeks. It's making me miss you guys. :( :luv:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:51 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
I am at a wedding. It is full of geeks. It's making me miss you guys. :( :luv:

That is technically called cheating, seeing other geeks. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:57 
Excellent Member

I need to buy an HDMI cable and I know there are a few versions of the HDMI standard these days but is it safe to assume all the cables are compatible? So, like, I don't need to look for a cable that specifically supports HDMI v2 or anything do I?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 60  Next