Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60
 Post subject: Re: B&B 43
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:41 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
Oh dear. I'd phone in sick and get my day off back.

:this:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:54 

Yeah. I don't think they'd go for that...

I'm not too worried, just hate feeling this bad. My back is killing me, my arms hurt when I move. I can't tell whether I am boiling hot or freezing cold.

Going to see if I can get some more sleep as I am exhausted.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:03 
Isn't that lovely?

https://www.gov.uk/taking-sick-leave

Quote:
Any statutory holiday entitlement that isn’t used because of illness can be carried over into the next leave year. If an employee is ill just before or during their holiday, they can take it as sick leave instead.

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:10 
INFINITE POWAH

Day 13 for me. And mine's been much worse than Myp's.

It isn't going to stop me going on a hike/pub crawl tomorrow though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:11 
Decapodian

Yep, legally they have no choice (though if you have a shitty employer it can be more trouble than it's worth fighting for it).
I was off ill in August when I had a week booked and got my time back without any problems.
Hope it clears up soon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:13 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I hate it when people do that. (Wave around a gov.uk summary of rights) without considering the fuller picture.

My staff get a contracted 25 days holiday a year. However if one takes into account the times they leave early/come in late for social (non medical) reasons with permission and no requirement to rework the time, allowed and encouraged to take long lunches, and other things where I intentionally ignore the limitation placed on them by the staff handbook, they all get, and know they get, a lot more than this.

If any of them bounded into my office saying that they had a cold yesterday and so want the days holiday that they took back, waving a screenprint of their employment rights, they would get the day holiday back with no questions, and also immediately revert to 9-5 with an hour for lunch and a requirement to make up any hours from arriving early/leaving late, without exception, for the rest of their careers in this office. This has happened before.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:16 
UltraMod

Well yes, there should be a certain amount of give and take involved. I'm not sure Mimi's employers are as flexible as you seem to be.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:17 
Bad Girl

Check out that badass Stoat on Bing today.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:19 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

It all depends on the employer doesn't it? Mine is pretty flexible and I get along with my boss so if I was sick on leave... I think I'd just suck it up and keep it as holiday.

Lord knows, I do enough skivving as it is.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:25 

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I hate it when people do that. (Wave around a gov.uk summary of rights) without considering the fuller picture.

My staff get a contracted 25 days holiday a year. However if one takes into account the times they leave early/come in late for social (non medical) reasons with permission and no requirement to rework the time, allowed and encouraged to take long lunches, and other things where I intentionally ignore the limitation placed on them by the staff handbook, they all get, and know they get, a lot more than this.

If any of them bounded into my office saying that they had a cold yesterday and so want the days holiday that they took back, waving a screenprint of their employment rights, they would get the day holiday back with no questions, and also immediately revert to 9-5 with an hour for lunch and a requirement to make up any hours from arriving early/leaving late, without exception, for the rest of their careers in this office. This has happened before.

Yeah, my office isn't like that. But I won't be asking to put this down as a sick day anyway because it's more hassle than it's worth and all kinds of hoops and juggles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:29 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Points taken Myp. However as background, the time it happened here, the person concerned was alerted to their rights on facebook, when they had been ill for one day of a 14 day holiday in Egypt, and wanted that day back.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:37 
UltraMod

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Points taken Myp. However as background, the time it happened here, the person concerned was alerted to their rights on facebook, when they had been ill for one day of a 14 day holiday in Egypt, and wanted that day back.

Yes, that's just bollocks.

My new boss is a lot less flexible than my old one and has started insisting I come in a set time (previously I used to come in any time between 7am-8am). This means I now take all my allotted breaks and no longer stay late when shit hits the fan or we are short-staffed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:14 
INFINITE POWAH

Yes, it's amazing how often management seems to fail to understand that if they're not grown up about things, you get employees who just work to rule.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:24 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Mr Chrimblefur wrote:
Yes, it's amazing how often management seems to fail to understand that if they're not grown up about things, you get employees who just work to rule.

Quite. Of course in a different context, my wifes reaction has been to scream RIGHTS very loudly. Because they were cunts.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:26 
INFINITE POWAH

Well yes - if employers are being dicks, shout RIGHTS as much as possible. It's the only way they learn.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:30 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

Yes, but if your employer waves the book at you every time you come in late, and doesn't encourage long lunches, etc. Then surely you are just as entitled to wave the book back at them when appropriate.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:30 
Master of dodgy spelling....

My Boss is quite flexiable, as he needs to be. I don't mind getting up at 4am to catch a flight on a Monday, but then I finish at lunch on that Friday. Kind of works out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:36 
INFINITE POWAH

Bobbyaro wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

Yes, but if your employer waves the book at you every time you come in late, and doesn't encourage long lunches, etc. Then surely you are just as entitled to wave the book back at them when appropriate.

Yes, I think that's rather been the point being made by everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:37 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Bobbyaro wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

Hence the caveat of
Quote:
without considering the fuller picture.

I've seen people bullied into screaming RIGHTS by friends and family in the past, and massively shooting themselves in the foot with it to attain a marginal benefit, is what I meant.

I don't doubt, however, that in Mimi's situation the rationales are different (and I absolutely understand the view of "I get none of the good stuff, but I don't want my life here made even worse for the sake of getting this day back" - unfair for Mimi as that may be).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:40 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I like being able to work from home too.

I can't sit in the office in just my pants... :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:41 
Decapodian

The majority of people at work are very sensible - staff and managers alike.
We do occasionally get someone who takes the piss which then results in a crackdown that affects everyone.

The last time that happened was one of our field engineers that worked on call who started trying to rigidly enforce his entitlement to an 11 hour break between shifts.
He'd finish the normal working day at 5:30pm so if he was called out of hours at say 11pm and then 6am he would insist on the 11 hour "clock" being reset each time, and send an email in saying he wouldn't be at work in time, even if it was only a 5 minute phone call he'd had to deal with. Get a call at the wrong time and he would basically refuse to come in to work the next day cause he'd done ten minutes work on call.

Given that he was paid £250 per week for being on call, plus time and a half or double for any hours worked this was seen as taking the piss somewhat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:49 
UltraMod

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
The majority of people at work are very sensible - staff and managers alike.
We do occasionally get someone who takes the piss which then results in a crackdown that affects everyone.

The last time that happened was one of our field engineers that worked on call who started trying to rigidly enforce his entitlement to an 11 hour break between shifts.
He'd finish the normal working day at 5:30pm so if he was called out of hours at say 11pm and then 6am he would insist on the 11 hour "clock" being reset each time, and send an email in saying he wouldn't be at work in time, even if it was only a 5 minute phone call he'd had to deal with. Get a call at the wrong time and he would basically refuse to come in to work the next day cause he'd done ten minutes work on call.

Given that he was paid £250 per week for being on call, plus time and a half or double for any hours worked this was seen as taking the piss somewhat.

Yeah, I never do that. I go home, have something to eat and then try to get eight hours sleep and make my way in after that.

However, if I've been at work all night, I get sent home and I'm not expected back in that day.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:50 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Dr Zoidberg wins !

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60