Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: B&B 43
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 14:15 
UltraMod

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
How's your telly?

Fucking Massive.

However I now been made to realise that I must be impoverished, so the happiness effect of a new television is more than offset by my realisation that I'm part of the downtrodden underclass.

Nice strawman.

This game is fun. :D

I believe that you'll find that the strawmen were:

1) Making an assumption that people were laughing at people because they are poor, and not acting like twats
2) Assuming that the people rushing into shops must be poor.
3) Combining the two into a rushed and lazy political narrative that in itself is actually offensive to the putative poor people by highlighting that the people acting like twats must be poor.

That's a pretty fair assessment of what happened. I apologise for my part of it as long as Mark does too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 14:44 
Gogmagog

I sent pregnant MrsA to get me a telly from Asda last year. She got the security guard to carry the telly from the stack to the checkout ("that one, please") then to the car ("over there, please"). She also bought a gnome, although it was unclear how that got to the car. Stupid gnome.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 14:50 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

MaliA wrote:
I sent pregnant MrsA to get me a telly from Asda last year. She got the security guard to carry the telly from the stack to the checkout ("that one, please") then to the car ("over there, please"). She also bought a gnome, although it was unclear how that got to the car. Stupid gnome.

Jesus. I hate the fucking gnome.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 16:28 

American Nervoso wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
How's your telly?

Fucking Massive.

However I now been made to realise that I must be impoverished, so the happiness effect of a new television is more than offset by my realisation that I'm part of the downtrodden underclass.

Nice strawman.

1) Making an assumption that people were laughing at people because they are poor, and not acting like twats
3) Combining the two into a rushed and lazy political narrative that in itself is actually offensive to the putative poor people by highlighting that the people acting like twats must be poor.

That's a pretty fair assessment of what happened. I apologise for my part of it as long as Mark does too.

I'd agree up to a point. Not on here but there has been quite a bit of exactly what I was talking about. As for profiling I'm probably guilty of thinking of the Asda where we do the weekly shop in which case I'd be pretty confident in my assessment. I don't know about that North London branch or perhaps what we were seeing there in the clip was actually a coachful of cardiologists who stopped off at Asda on the way back from their symposium for some bargain flatscreens, I don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 16:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

:DD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 16:34 
UltraMod

Best apology ever.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 19:31 

markg wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
How's your telly?

Fucking Massive.

Nice strawman.

I'd agree up to a point. Not on here but there has been quite a bit of exactly what I was talking about. As for profiling I'm probably guilty of thinking of the Asda where we do the weekly shop in which case I'd be pretty confident in my assessment. I don't know about that North London branch or perhaps what we were seeing there in the clip was actually a coachful of cardiologists who stopped off at Asda on the way back from their symposium for some bargain flatscreens, I don't know.

That happens to be the Asda up the road from where I used to live. To be honest I knew it would be before I clicked the link, because it's next to a really rough estate (Chalkhill) and very close to St Raphael's, and in both live some of the poorest people in the country, in an area where the cost of living is really high.

Any time there's a story like this they send the news crews there because they bet that this will be the way people react. It's not good, it makes me feel miserable, both the way the media target the area and that the people act this way.

It makes me feel sad that this is the profile of the area to the fact that the media go there in the expectation that they will get these shots here. Is it judgemental, or experience? One of those two estates is where my family are from. I lived on one for a bit. My mother, and my two lovely bright intelligent brothers (I know some of you have met Peter at the Christmas quiz) all still live there. It's a very poor area. Overcrowded, poor quality of life, high unemployment, drink and drugs problem. Material possessions seem very important to a lot of people there. The Ikea sale in Wembley often gets similar news crew attention any time they hold a big sale with one of those media grabbing discounts that sees people fall and push over each other to grab things for a discount.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 19:32 

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/s ... 89542.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 20:55 
Gogmagog

Why do theatres have a booking charge?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 21:24 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:

To make more money

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 21:28 

It's how they pay the nurses. All the NHS bucks go to the surgeons and 'admin'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 22:08 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:

To make more money

Takes the piss does that. Taking money from the state then charging a booking fee. Cut subsidies to them unless booking fees are removed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 22:21 
INFINITE POWAH

And as it's subsidised by taxpayers, only people in work should be allowed to go to the theatre.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 22:23 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
And as it's subsidised by taxpayers, only people in work should be allowed to go to the theatre.

The 1.75 booking fee per transaction in one theatre near me would only bring in 700k a year if it were full every night of the year by individuals. It receives 2 million a year arts council funding.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 23:31 
Bad Girl

Jimmy Bullard has had me in stitches. He's a treat and reminds me of my dad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 23:52 
Gogmagog

American Nervoso wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
How's your telly?

Fucking Massive.

Nice strawman.

From local paper:

Quote:
Among them was a family-of-four from Woodside who had headed down early to Forster Square Retail Park with dreams of a big telly for the children's room, only to go home empty-handed.Meanwhile, Sharon Brockhill, 52, from Lower Grange, had left home at 6.30am still wearing her leopard-print onesie in search of a 40-ins tv for £139 - but another shopper snapped it up first.

"I was literally one inch away from it - unbelievable, I was so close." she said - undeterred she said she was planning to have another go today.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 18:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

So I was picking up the Grimlet's Hudl from the Tesco Direct counter, and the chap in front of me had bagged a 50" TV on Black Friday, and had come to pick it up.

Unfortunately, what he actually bought was a stand for a 50" TV. He took a look at the webpage again, and realised his mistake.

Interestingly, he still took it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 19:01 
Gogmagog

I was playing a game on the PS4 earlier and after someone with a rubbish name was SOUNDLY DEFEATED they decided for reasons that I don't know or maybe i use a girl's name to send me a message saying "Blowjob? ". So I reported them because of ethics in games journalism and now they probably are SOUNDLY DEFEATED once again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 20:15 
Gogmagog

MrsA and I took Focaccia to the new bar earlier. It was pretty good, with four cask ales and three keg ales and a selection of bottles. A man cane in and asked for a lager. "We don't sell lager" said the owner "only ales". No apologies for it at all. I would probably go again and take Britishnervoso

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 20:40 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
MrsA and I took Focaccia to the new bar earlier. It was pretty good, with four cask ales and three keg ales and a selection of bottles. A man cane in and asked for a lager. "We don't sell lager" said the owner "only ales". No apologies for it at all. I would probably go again and take Britishnervoso

January!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 21:36 
Unpossible!

I can picture it now...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:07 

Probably cant find a pic and even less likely to be able to insert it into this forum.

But that pic reminds me of "The Real Ale Twats" I buy the Viz annual religiously every October :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:29 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I read the Viz every month too. It's the only magazine I still subscribe to and I love it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:33 
UltraMod

Inaccurate, as I don't really drink much real ale anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:53 
INFINITE POWAH

You really have gradually turned into Sheldon Cooper, haven't you?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:13 
Sleepyhead

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
You really have gradually turned into Sheldon Cooper, haven't you?

But without the redeeming features.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:23 
Unpossible!

Or the length of limb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:26 

This review on Eurogamer prompted me to watch Atari: Game Over, you know, that film about excavating the E.T. landfill.

It's free, and a great watch. In fact, I would call it unmissable for anyone in possession of even a tinge of nostalgia over video games or interest in their history, if only because it's really very well put together. For someone who got into programming because of video games of the 1980s, the story of the obviously brilliant Howard Scott Warshaw (programmer of E.T.), and how working at Atari and getting assigned this task affected his life was surprisingly moving.

(And, reviewing the Eurogamer review, Dan Whitehead is a complete cock - as usual).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:32 
ugvm'er at heart...

lasermink wrote:
This review on Eurogamer prompted me to watch Atari: Game Over, you know, that film about excavating the E.T. landfill.

It's free, and a great watch. In fact, I would call it unmissable for anyone in possession of even a tinge of nostalgia over video games or interest in their history, if only because it's really very well put together. For someone who got into programming because of video games of the 1980s, the story of the obviously brilliant Howard Scott Warshaw (programmer of E.T.), and how working at Atari and getting assigned this task affected his life, was surprisingly moving.

(And, reviewing the Eurogamer review, Dan Whitehead is a complete cock - as usual).

I've had this on a tab on my home pc for a while now, meaning to go back and watch it, but I totally forgot! :) thanks for the reminder.

(I left the tab open due to the million hoops I needed to go through to get access to it! Trying to watch it on an OSX machine is a little annoying ;))

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 13:00 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Trooper wrote:
Trying to watch it on an OSX machine is a little annoying ;))

I ended up watching it in bootcamp since the mac side would never work for me (and the 360 just got stuck in an update loop) - I enjoyed it - i do think Chinny should watch it since there is an Amstrad (464) in there at around the 10 minute mark :-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 13:47 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Awesome little video on space travel:
http://vimeo.com/108650530

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 14:00 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'm planning on watching that ET documentary when I get a minute. Good to know it comes recommended.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 22:15 
INFINITE POWAH

Absolute injustice (worse than Ferguson) that Mel, Foggy, Jimmy and Tinch are the only four up for eviction. As much as I'm getting annoyed a bit by Sykes (which is irritating, as i used to fancy her rotten), Kendra needs to fuck off.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 22:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

What Mr Chris said. That trial was brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 22:33 
INFINITE POWAH

Wasn't it though? Tinch and Sykesy were machines, jimmy was hilarious, and Foggy was just ace. I love Foggy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 22:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

Jimmy may be funny, but he is also a wuss and a bully, he will be first out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 22:47 
ugvm'er at heart...

Boom!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 22:48 
INFINITE POWAH

Jimmy gone! Surprise. Was that cos of the "bantz"with the prepubescent girls' favourite, Jake? Or because he was a massive pussy?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 22:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
Jimmy may be funny, but he is also a wuss and a bully, he will be first out.

A bully?!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 22:55 
INFINITE POWAH

He was mean to the prepubescent girls' favourite, Jake, with his mean "bantz".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 22:57 
ugvm'er at heart...

The Bantz with jake was seen by virtually everyone in the camp and 75% of people in a poll afterwards as bullying.

Not sure I agree with that, but that's why he went.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 22:57 
INFINITE POWAH

Mind you, there's no way he'd have been voted out if he'd been up against Nadia, Edwina, Kendra etc.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 22:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

True, he was up against a rapper with a large fan base in the voting age bracket, and two people who have shown themselves to be machines in the trials. He had no chance, as its a vote to save, not a vote to evict.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 23:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bullying standards must be fucking abysmal at schools nowadays.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 23:01 
INFINITE POWAH

Is the Irish lass on Get Me Out of Here Now ever on anything else at all?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 23:02 
ugvm'er at heart...

Nope, I've only ever seen her on that. Her, rob and joe are amusing together though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 23:04 
INFINITE POWAH

I wasn't really including Joe and Rob in what I was thinking about, to be frank.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 23:05 
ugvm'er at heart...

Apparently Jimmy is 36! I'd have put him in his early 40s at least.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 23:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fuck, same age as me? Bloody hell.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 23:06 
INFINITE POWAH

I'm Jimmy's age on Thursday! Jesus, I've aged well.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 60  Next