All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Halo 5
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 13:39 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

http://kotaku.com/halo-5-guardians-anno ... 1576282395

Quote:
"Halo 5: Guardians is a bigger effort than Halo 4," 343 general manager Bonnie Ross wrote on the Xbox Wire today. "That applies to the content and scope of the game, as well as the technology in what's now a brand new and more powerful engine. Certainly there are some core elements carried over from prior games, but we've invested a huge effort in retooling our tech to take full advantage of the Xbox One's hardware and ecosystem to create worlds and experiences worthy of next-gen."

Ross didn't offer too many specifics about the game, though she noted that the next big Halo will have dedicated servers and run at 60 frames per second. The Steven Spielberg-helmed Halo television series will also be out in fall of 2015, according to Ross.

So what about this year?

"Many fans noted that I was very deliberate with my phrasing on stage at E3 last year," Ross wrote. "I spoke about a 'journey,' rather than a destination – and that journey definitely begins in 2014 with a giant leap, rather than one small step. We'll give you much more information about our plans for this year at the Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing on June 9, and we're confident that Halo fans will be pretty excited the special plans we have in store."4

During a presentation in Los Angeles this week, the 343 team told a group of journalists that Halo 5 will be running on a brand new engine. They mentioned a few times that Halo has always been a huge element of the Xbox platform, and that they're aiming to "move the needle on the Xbox ecosystem."

They weren't willing to divulge much more just yet—save for flashing a sunny image of Master Chief holding an assault rifle mirror-imaged underneath what looked like a female spartan holding a battle rifle set against a desert-looking backdrop—but we should have at least a few more details you'll be interested in soon. E3 is just around the corner, after all.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/games-halo ... nouncement

Quote:
Any time you transition to a new platform, there is the opportunity to look at things with a new perspective. For us at 343 Industries, the launch of the Xbox One was an opportunity to think about what stories we wanted to tell, how to tell them, and how best to push the “Halo” franchise to showcase the platform. And, most importantly, combining our passion for “Halo” with the vocal and informative input from our fans.

“Halo” isn’t simply a perennial game franchise, it’s a part of the Xbox platform itself. In terms of innovation and ideation, it’s sometimes important to people who might not even play “Halo.” And of course it’s a passion and an essential experience for two generations of gamers. So we asked ourselves, how do we begin and where do we go with “Halo” on Xbox One?

In the past, “Halo” games have pushed the Xbox forward, showcasing the console and its ecosystem in entertaining and innovative ways. Making a “Halo” game that runs at 60 frames per second, on dedicated servers, with the scope, features and scale we’ve been dreaming of for more than a decade, is non-trivial. It’s a task that we, at 343 Industries, are taking very seriously to ensure we deliver the “Halo” game that fans deserve, and a game that is built from the ground up for Xbox One.

I’m happy to reveal that “Halo 5: Guardians,” the next installment in the legendary saga of the Master Chief, will launch on Xbox One in fall of 2015. In the tradition of every “Halo” game since its debut in 2001, it is a massive and exciting project.

“Halo 5: Guardians” is a bigger effort than “Halo 4.” That applies to the content and scope of the game, as well as the technology in what’s now a brand new and more powerful engine. Certainly there are some core elements carried over from prior games, but we’ve invested a huge effort in retooling our tech to take full advantage of the Xbox One’s hardware and ecosystem to create worlds and experiences worthy of next-gen.

It’s a game that will hopefully demonstrate the talent, learnings and abilities of the 343 Industries team. A game that will incorporate the things we learned from “Halo 4” about technology, aesthetics, performance and scale – and perhaps more importantly, understanding and embracing a community of gamers who love what lies at the heart of this game, and the limitless potential of the “Halo” universe.

And 2015 won’t simply be the year of “Halo 5: Guardians,” it will also be a year that offers us a unique opportunity. The opportunity to invite old friends and new audiences into that universe through the “Halo” television series, launched as a unique collaboration with Steven Spielberg and some of the finest creative minds in the business. A series that will stand alone, as well as complement and enrich the game experience. We’ll have more to share on the “Halo” television series as we near its projected fall 2015 release.

Your Journey Begins in 2014

Many fans noted that I was very deliberate with my phrasing on stage at E3 last year. I spoke about a “journey,” rather than a destination – and that journey definitely begins in 2014 with a giant leap, rather than one small step. We’ll give you much more information about our plans for this year at the Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing on June 9, and we’re confident that “Halo” fans will be pretty excited about the special plans we have in store.

So until E3, I’d like to express my gratitude to our massive and varied Halo community, whose energy, enthusiasm, criticism and kindness are the driving force behind what we do and what we hope to achieve in “Halo 5: Guardians.”

Post subject: Re: Halo 5
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 13:44 
8-Bit Champion

I'm assuming the plans here are that Halo 5 is 2015 and Halo 2 Anniversary is later this year

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 13:53 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

This could be my reason for buying a new Xbox you know.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 14:20 
8-Bit Champion

TheVision wrote:
This could be my reason for buying a new Xbox you know.

Which one - Halo 2 AE this year or Halo 5 next year ?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 14:43 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Halo 5. I'll definitely buy Halo 2 (again) on my current Xbox.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 14:49 
8-Bit Champion

So Microsoft can sell you an Xbox One in around 16 months or so - that will help investors :-)

Some of the rumors around the announcement this early is that its done to try and bury the bad sales numbers which also came out today , and that it makes it clear before E3 that there will not be a Halo 5 game *this* year

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 15:01 
Unpossible!

zaphod79 wrote:
Quote:
and that they're aiming to "move the needle on the Xbox ecosystem."

:spew:

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 15:04 
8-Bit Champion

DavPaz wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
Quote:
and that they're aiming to "move the needle on the Xbox ecosystem."

:spew:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:52 
Bad Girl

Friday morning drinking game. Take a drink every time you see "FREE" in the trailer.

I'm a bit sad that we'll never play Halo with 10+ bezzies again. That used to be great fun.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I drank! I saw it six times.

That's a lot of cherry coke.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:05 
Bad Girl

That's once every 10 seconds, fans of time and numbers and inaccuracy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:30 
UltraMod

I miss Halo too, but if it's not Bungie there's not much point.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:42 
EvilTrousers

I have this. I played it at the weekend up to about mission 5.

Here are my thoughts which are mine alone and not subject to any kind of Mountain Dew / Doritos based coercion;

Good;

It is clearly Halo with all the right weapons and enemies and the weapons feel as good as ever - only at 60fps.
The scale of some of the arenas makes you feel like you're in Saving Private Ryan with more aliens and less nazis.
Playing alongside 3 other Spartans and their ability to revive you brings new tactical thinking to each fight.
It keeps making me want to play it. The first game that has got its hooks into me like that for a while.
Nathan Fillion
The weapon impacts feel better than ever, both dishing it out and receiving it. It's like they have out Bungie'd Bungie.

Bad;

No Cortana - a lot of the exposition comes from shouty combat dialogue which is hard to make out.
Speaking of exposition the plot has climbed right up its own arse to the extent where I don't really give a fuck about it.
The AI still can't drive or shoot mounted guns properly despite us being on the next next next gen.
Too many "Area Clear" moments before you can advance and generally just ruining any tension about worrying about getting pounced on by a stealthed Elite.
The Hydra launcher sounds brilliant but fires the equivalent of chewed up tissue paper at your foes.

Overall and only a short way in (hopefully) it feels like a pair of comfy slippers that you lost for a long while and then found again and when you found them you were worried the dog might have pissed in them, BUT IT HASN'T.

Buy doritos. They are lovely and make you game better. 4 Real Kidz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:10 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I agree with all of that pretty much. I didn't mind the combat chat though and the story, well... It's always been bobbins hasn't it?

I do enjoy the scale of some of the fights though. Some are massive and make you feel quite small and insignificant.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:53 
Bad Girl

Trousers wrote:
Playing alongside 3 other Spartans and their ability to revive you brings new tactical thinking to each fight.

Presumably you mean "less" tactical thinking if there's three people will pick you up when you fall over. Or maybe there's a tactic of happily wading into fire without the fear of a game ending death and revert to a checkpoint.

I remember moaning about this kind of thing in Resident Evil 6 because the game wouldn't let me die and there was only one other person to revive me.

Mind you, if I was playing any game with others and a death meant death then I might get annoyed if I'm waiting for long spells to play. Or maybe I'd play much more cautiously. I dunno. I'm not a huge fan of the perpetual revive, y'see.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:42 
EvilTrousers

Santanalian wrote:
Trousers wrote:

Presumably you mean "less" tactical thinking if there's three people will pick you up when you fall over. Or maybe there's a tactic of happily wading into fire without the fear of a game ending death and revert to a checkpoint.

I remember moaning about this kind of thing in Resident Evil 6 because the game wouldn't let me die and there was only one other person to revive me.

Mind you, if I was playing any game with others and a death meant death then I might get annoyed if I'm waiting for long spells to play. Or maybe I'd play much more cautiously. I dunno. I'm not a huge fan of the perpetual revive, y'see.

It basically affects what you do in combat – you tend to stay closer to your team mates.

If there’s no cover you use the boost thing to hurtle back towards your team mates when your shields starts spluttering. Or you can risk hiding behind cover but grenades and a lot of splash damage means crouching behind something at the front of a battle hoping your shields will recharge is a fool’s game.

You really can’t go charging in because if you get taken out by a huge sword wielding promethean your mates are going to get just as badly scythed as you did as they try and heal you.
You can order your teammates around as well to some extent so you have “safe zones” to come back to if you want to solo it a bit.

It genuinely creates a different way to play Halo while still feeling very Halo.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 16:11 
Bad Girl

Duck Hunt and Jenga Tower games.

This makes me sad because it looks like so much fun but I'll never play it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:36 
Bad Girl

More custom games you'll never play: Avalanche and Sumo Pit.

http://youtu.be/Hug_cF2Wuzg

It's good to see the game's engine being pushed beyond its limits, here. You can apparently customise a whole raft of setting such as movement speed and jump height and all sorts.

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]