Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Reading comics on tablets
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:52 
ugvm'er at heart...

I read the two Saga volumes from the bundle last night, they were great :) More like that please! :D

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bamba wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
any Vol 1 from the New 52 is a good place to start with for DC.

Be careful here, the New 52 is mostly utter, utter shite. There's a couple of series that are decent* and some that much later on became okay** but there's so much jaw-droppingly bad shit in there I honestly don't know what the fuck they're doing.

*The Batman stuff mostly, and Brian Azzarello's weird mythical take on Wonder Woman continues to be very good.
**Jeff Lemire has pretty much quietly rebooted Green Arrow all over again to make it into something that's not completely embarrassing to read and the current Swamp Thing run's not bad.

My recommendation would be not to necessarily look at certain characters/teams because the quality is incredibly variable depending on who's doing the writing at any given time. I think your best bet is to look at the best writers and see what they've done you might fancy. A couple of picks for writers to look for be Warren Ellis and Keiron Gillen; there's very little the two of them have done that isn't well worth reading.

If you're willing to go back a bit, Warren Ellis' Transmetropolitan series is completely stand alone and is just brilliant stuff from start to finish, but most of his own stuff is well worth reading. Super-hero wise he's done acclaimed runs on Iron Man, Thunderbolts (the issue where Norman Osborn finally completes his slow backslide from hero-of-the-hour to violent psychopath is honestly one of the funniest things I've ever read), and his original run on The Authority is top stuff.

Keiron Gillen started out with his own series Phonogram, a very British melding of magic and music that's well worth checking out. Since then he's done very good stuff with S.W.O.R.D., X-Men, Iron Man and Young Avengers. The best thing though is definitely his long run on Journey Into Mystery, which is a sort of Thor spin-off that he used to rehabilitate the character of Loki. It's funny and touching and just excellent all round.

Thanks Bamba. The only problem I have is the same as Curio, the whole dropping into the middle of an established series, which I imagine will only be worse if I cherry pick particular writers unless I look at their standalone stuff?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:58 
UltraMod

Marvel's Civil War works as a standalone title, even though it references earlier stuff.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:59 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Be careful here, the New 52 is mostly utter, utter shite.

I've only read Detective Comics and the Batman ones so far, and I thought they were pretty good. I've got the first Justice League to get through as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:10 
Sleepyhead

Trooper wrote:
I read the two Saga volumes from the bundle last night, they were great :) More like that please! :D

They really are, aren't they? There's a third volume out as well, at full price. After that we're caught up and have to wait for the glacial pace of comic publishing. Boo!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
Deadpool, obv.

Hit me up if you'd like to know "a good shop".

I'm a seasoned shopper, but send it over :)

My current list of "shit to read"

y : the last man
preacher
batman : year one
100 bullets
superman : red son
Marvel : 1602
Fables
x-men - days of future past
Astonishing X-men
Planetary
Powers
Invincible
Deadpool
Spiderman : Brand New Day
Transmetropolitan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:50 
PC Gamer

Bamba wrote:
A couple of picks for writers to look for be Warren Ellis and Keiron Gillen; there's very little the two of them have done that isn't well worth reading.

Emphatic cosign. Greg Rucka and Gail Simone are pretty much the only other writers whose stuff I'll pick up as a matter of course.

In the vein of cool fun superhero-y stuff: Atomic Robo. Funny, great action, great art. Everyone should be reading Atomic Robo. Comixology has all its "Free Comic Book Day" issues to download for (duh) free which are self-contained stories so you can dip your toe in to see if it's for you (spoiler: it will be for you).

Any of the Marvel NOW! #1s are decent jumping-on points. Other than the stuff already mentioned I'd single out Mark Waid's run on Daredevil and the Matt Fraction/David Aja Hawkeye, which are both all sorts of awesome.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:50 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
Thanks Bamba. The only problem I have is the same as Curio, the whole dropping into the middle of an established series, which I imagine will only be worse if I cherry pick particular writers unless I look at their standalone stuff?

When it comes to the super-hero stuff then yeah, you're going to have that problem of dropping in. The thing is though there's no way round that unless you want to go and read like twenty years worth of comics; it's just the nature of the beast. The better writers though will at least do a better job of making things coherent; plus the start of a new run by a new writer on a given character/team at least gives you a jumping off point in terms of the particular story they're telling.

Obviously DC have tried to address this with the New 52 stuff, and Marvel did similar a few years before that with the Ultimate line, but no matter when you do your reboot you instantly begin setting up stuff that'll be built on later and potentially bamboozle new-comers so at best it's a very temporary solution. And with the New 52 I don't even think they've done a very good job of that because there's still assumed knowledge or unexplained shit in some of the series'.

So, I dunno, I think if it's the mainstream super-hero stuff you're after you just need to deal with dropping in part-way through the soap-opera of it all. Googling references or characters as they come up will get you most of the way there and you can always drop questions to Beex folks here if you're totally stuck. The alternative as you say is to pick up more stand-alone creator owned stuff which is what I did for a long time, muchpreferring to read Vertigo series' rather than anything with capes and tights in it.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:55 
Excellent Member

British Nervoso wrote:
Marvel's Civil War works as a standalone title, even though it references earlier stuff.

I loved the Civil War event, I thought it was a genuinely interesting discussion of the whole idea of super-heroes conducted in-universe and allowed for some brilliant character level stuff as well. I hesitated to recommend it because I read all the tie-ins and stuff (which would cost about a billion pounds) so wasn't sure how well it worked if you were only reading the main series. If it's coherent enough read like that then yeah, totally pick it up.

Rodafowa wrote:
Other than the stuff already mentioned I'd single out Mark Waid's run on Daredevil and the Matt Fraction/David Aja Hawkeye, which are both all sorts of awesome.

Indeed, both are awesome and don't really require much prior knowledge of the characters either.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:00 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Deadpool, obv.

I'm a seasoned shopper, but send it over :)

My current list of "shit to read"

y : the last man
preacher
batman : year one
100 bullets
superman : red son
Marvel : 1602
Fables
x-men - days of future past
Astonishing X-men
Planetary
Powers
Invincible
Deadpool
Spiderman : Brand New Day
Transmetropolitan

I would liek a good shop too, as I should start reading comics again

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:03 
Excellent Member

Demonoid was my go to before it got shut down and these days I just go to Pirate Bay as they've got a whole section specifically for comics. Every Wednesday/Thursday all the individual new issues get uploaded and you can just pick up what you want. People do also upload packs and older series so you can browse through it if there's something specific you're after.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:09 
PC Gamer

Home taping is killing music!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I read Atomic Robo years ago - it was indeed pretty good.

There are some good webcomics too, but that's probably something for another thread.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:49 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
There are some good webcomics too, but that's probably something for another thread.

Something like this maybe?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That would have been better if I'd said about Concerned in it.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 15:28 

Grim... wrote:

I'd like to know this too although I already use one private tracker.

I have every single issue, bar two from 1947, of Captain America should anyone want them. The early issues are a fucking struggle to read, mind you.

Those of you that read Civil War, how did you go about what issues to include? I followed the reading order in this link and wondered if there are any other issues I need to include before I start reading.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 15:37 
Excellent Member

TK-421 wrote:
Those of you that read Civil War, how did you go about what issues to include? I followed the reading order in this link and wondered if there are any other issues I need to include before I start reading.

I was reading it as it came out so just read whatever was published that week I think. That page you've linked to is apparently the official Marvel reading order so I can't imagine it'll steer you wrong.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 15:39 
Excellent Member

Also, I've got a fuck-ton of stuff lying around and am happy to make any of it available for anyone who wants it. I've got an exhaustive list at home (on a spreadsheet of course), what's the best way to make that list available?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 15:46 
Awesome
Yes

Bamba wrote:
Also, I've got a fuck-ton of stuff lying around and am happy to make any of it available for anyone who wants it. I've got an exhaustive list at home (on a spreadsheet of course), what's the best way to make that list available?

Publically shared google doc?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 15:48 
Excellent Member

Mr Russell wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Publically shared google doc?

Yeah, that might work, if the original multi-tabbed XLS imports okay into Docs. I'll give it a shot tonight.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 21:34 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bamba wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

I loved the Civil War event, I thought it was a genuinely interesting discussion of the whole idea of super-heroes conducted in-universe and allowed for some brilliant character level stuff as well. I hesitated to recommend it because I read all the tie-ins and stuff (which would cost about a billion pounds) so wasn't sure how well it worked if you were only reading the main series. If it's coherent enough read like that then yeah, totally pick it up.

I seem to have found the full civil war series, with all the tie ins and in the right order, on my hard drive, if anyone wants a copy...

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 22:02 
Unpossible!

Trooper wrote:
Bamba wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

I seem to have found the full civil war series, with all the tie ins and in the right order, on my hard drive, if anyone wants a copy...

That would be lovely

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 22:04 
ugvm'er at heart...

PM me and i'll give you the link, it's 1.5gb though :D so it won't actually be uploaded to my dropbox until tomorrow I expect!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:25 

Trooper wrote:
Bamba wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

yes please

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:36 

KovacsC wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Bamba wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

yes please

And me, please.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

TK-421 wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Bamba wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

yes please

And me, please.

:this:

Hello, TK-[0-9]{3}. Are you coming to the BBQuattro? GOD DAMNIT IT SAYS YOUR CORRECT NAME RIGHT THERE AT THE TOP OF THIS BOX

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:50 
Excellent Member

Here's my available list:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_P3-M ... sp=sharing

If you open it in Google Sheets it displays pretty much like the original spreadsheet with it's 40 tabs, whereas if you open it directly in Google Drive it's pretty horrible to view. The newest stuff tends towards the highest number tabs. Note that I'd only archive when a series ended (or when I'd accumulated a shitload of issues if it was long running) so even if something started in like 2007 it'll be in a more recent tab if it ran for a few years.

ETA: Actually I see there's a download option when you click on that link so just do that.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:57 
Excellent Member

Looking at it I realise though that I eventually realised I wasn't ever likely to go back and read this stuff again so I deleted a load of stuff I'd usually have archived so by 'most recent' I really mean 2012 some time.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:17 

Bamba wrote:

If you open it in Google Sheets it displays pretty much like the original spreadsheet with it's 40 tabs, whereas if you open it directly in Google Drive it's pretty horrible to view. The newest stuff tends towards the highest number tabs. Note that I'd only archive when a series ended (or when I'd accumulated a shitload of issues if it was long running) so even if something started in like 2007 it'll be in a more recent tab if it ran for a few years.

ETA: Actually I see there's a download option when you click on that link so just do that.

Does not open for me, but if I can 'review' any Judge Dread that you have :)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:23 
Excellent Member

KovacsC wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Does not open for me, but if I can 'review' any Judge Dread that you have :)

I tried it in a different browser that I'm not signed into with my Google account and although IE gave me some bullshit error about frames I still get the Google Drive menu bar and can select Download from the File menu. What do you get at your end?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:31 

in both ie10 and chrome I get "spread sheet is too large download or edit in google sheets".

It does neither.

Than after page 9, judge dread child 5, it just lists stripxxx, the xxx being a number.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:50 
Excellent Member

KovacsC wrote:
in both ie10 and chrome I get "spread sheet is too large download or edit in google sheets".

It does neither.

Don't click the Download link in that actual message, use the Download option in the Google Doc "File" menu that's at the top-right and that works fine.

KovacsC wrote:
Than after page 9, judge dread child 5, it just lists stripxxx, the xxx being a number.

That's because the Judge Child Quest set I've got there is only five issues long. The stripxxx stuff you see is the next set which is a dump of an old webcomic called Life of Riley.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:35 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Another comic bundle at Humble.com

https://www.humblebundle.com/thewalkingdead

Pay $1 for
The Walking Dead, Vol. 1 Issues 1-6
Invincible, Vol. 1 Issues 1-4
Witch Doctor, Vol. 1 Issues 1-5
Ghosted, Vol. 1 Issues 1-5

Pay over the average ($10 or so) to add
The Walking Dead, Vol. 2 & 3 Issues 7-18
Thief of Thieves, Vol. 1 Issues 1-7
Super Dinosaur, Vol. 1 Issues 1-6
Plus some other titles (which will be added in a week)

Pay over $15 to add
The Walking Dead, Vol. 4 & 5 Issues 19-30

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:11 
Sleepyhead

Hmmm. Might pick that up.

I have The Walking Dead massive thing made of paper, so wouldn't be getting it for that (plus, quite disappointed with it). Also, Invincible is a bit 'meh' and was the weakest of the previous bundle I've read.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:32 
Excellent Member

zaphod79 wrote:
Another comic bundle at Humble.com

https://www.humblebundle.com/thewalkingdead

Pay $1 for
The Walking Dead, Vol. 1 Issues 1-6
Invincible, Vol. 1 Issues 1-4
Witch Doctor, Vol. 1 Issues 1-5
Ghosted, Vol. 1 Issues 1-5

Pay over the average ($10 or so) to add
The Walking Dead, Vol. 2 & 3 Issues 7-18
Thief of Thieves, Vol. 1 Issues 1-7
Super Dinosaur, Vol. 1 Issues 1-6
Plus some other titles (which will be added in a week)

Pay over $15 to add
The Walking Dead, Vol. 4 & 5 Issues 19-30

There's actually another two tiers on top of that:

Pay $40 or more to unlock:
The Walking Dead T-Shirt
The Walking Dead, Vol. 20

Pay $65 or more to unlock:
Limited edition Negan action figure

That penultimate one there is odd; why go from volume 5 right up to 20?

There's also an offer below that on the page to just get the first three issues of The Walking Dead for free (in exchange for your email address) so anyone wanting a taster of The Walking Dead and electronic comics in general could do worse than that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:35 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:
Hmmm. Might pick that up.

I have The Walking Dead massive thing made of paper, so wouldn't be getting it for that (plus, quite disappointed with it). Also, Invincible is a bit 'meh' and was the weakest of the previous bundle I've read.

I haven't read Ghosted but did enjoy Witch Doctor and it's certainly worth $1.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:50 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Why read a comic on a tablet when you can read the real thing...here's one that up for sale. Price is a bit steep though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311050328393?afsrc=1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 23:54 
8-Bit Champion

Latest humble comic bundle is all Star Trek stuff

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

pay 1p for
Star Trek: Gold Key Archives, Vol. 1
6 Issues
Star Trek: Best of Klingons
10 Issues
Star Trek Classics, Vol. 1
4 Issues
Star Trek Classics, Vol. 2
3 Issues

Beat the average (currently $9.71) to add

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Hive
4 Issues
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
4 Issues
Star Trek: Burden of Knowledge
4 Issues
Star Trek: Mirror Images
5 Issues
(plus more to come next week)

Pay $15 or above to add

Star Trek: Countdown
4 Issues
Star Trek: Movie Adaptation
6 Issues
Star Trek: Nero
4 Issues
Star Trek: Spock Reflections
4 Issues
Star Trek: Countdown to Darkness
4 Issues
Star Trek, Vol. 1
4 Issues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 0:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:13 
UltraMod

Bought! 100% charity again. Sticking it to the man since 1982.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:07 
Sleepyhead

I do love Star Trek, but have absolutely no interest in this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 20:28 
8-Bit Champion

And next Humble bundle is up

Quote:
The Humble Valiant Bundle

More than 120 issues of critically acclaimed comics. Hot off of 16 nominations from this year's Harvey Awards, discover the world of Valiant Comics - the award-winning, best-selling comic book publisher of the year - right here with the Humble Valiant Bundle.

Name your price and receive the first two volumes of X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Quantum and Woody, Harbinger and Unity. You'll also receive the classic Shadow Man PC game on Steam for Windows and Mac when paying at least $1!

If you pay more than the average price, you'll also receive the first two volumes of Bloodshot, Shadowman and Eternal Warrior, issues #1-4 of Rai and the mega event Harbinger Wars.

Plus, paying $15 or more will get you all of the above and the Valiant Masters Collection, featuring 40 issues of comics from Shadowman: Spirits Within, Ninjak: Black Water, Rai: From Honor To Strength, H.A.R.D. Corps: Search & Destroy and Bloodshot: Blood of the Machine. We'll also throw in Valiant Masters X-O Manowar, debuting on Humble Bundle.

And as if this deal couldn't get any better, for the entire 14 day run of this bundle, we'll also be offering a different free issue from the Valiant Comics library each and every day!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:20 
Excellent Member

Archer and Armstrong is pretty good stuff, the rest of it that I've looked at is...not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 21:52 
8-Bit Champion

And the latest Humble books bundle

Quote:
More than $360 worth of Oni Press originals. The comic company that delivers the best in independent content is teaming up with Humble Bundle. Introducing the Humble Oni Press Comics Bundle. Pay what you want for the first volume of Buzz!, The Sixth Gun, Letter 44, Bad Machinery and Sketch Monsters, in addition to the first issue of I Was The Cat and The Auteur.

If you pay more than the average price, you'll also get the first volume of Courtney Crumrin, Diesel Sweeties, Helheim, Megagogo, and The Bunker, plus Capote in Kansas and Down Set Fight.

Those who pay $15 or more will receive all of the above plus Lost At Sea, the first two volumes of Scott Pilgrim and volume one of Stumptown.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:11 
Sleepyhead

Any of that stuff good?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 23:35 
8-Bit Champion

Next Humble Comic bundle is Star Wars related

Quote:
A New Hope for your e-readers. The Humble Star Wars Comics Bundle features 89 issues across 12 stellar titles of Force-pushing, lightsaber-swinging Star Wars comics. Name your price for Star Wars Omnibus: A Long Time Ago… Volume 1, Star Wars: Empire Volume 1 Betrayal, Star Wars: Jedi Volume 1 - The Dark Side, Star Wars: Crimson Empire Volume 1, Star Wars: Darth Maul - Death Sentence, and Star Wars: Blood Ties - Jango and Boba Fett. Pay more than the average price to also get Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Lost Command, Star Wars: The Old Republic Volume 1 - Blood of the Empire, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Volume 1 Commencement, Star Wars: Legacy Volume 1 - Broken, and Star Wars: Dark Times Volume 1 - The Path to Nowhere. If you pay $15 or more, you'll receive all of the above plus Star Wars Volume 1: In the Shadow of Yavin. The Force is strong with this bundle!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:35 
Unpossible!

Is that all non-canon now?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:37 
UltraMod

Star Bores

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:13 
Sleepyhead

I finished going through the Image Comics bundle. Almost all of them were really good. The more recent bundle (Oni, was it?) I've read a couple and they were okay.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 21:38 
8-Bit Champion

Possibly useful for some people on here , however not for me- latest humble bundle is

Quote:
Humble Comics Bundle: My Little Pony

Discover the magic of friendship with this comics bundle. Saddle up, 'cause this bundle's got more My Little Pony comics than you can count on both hoofs! Name your price for My Little Pony: Friends Forever #1-5 and My Little Pony: Micro Series #1-10. You can pay more than the average price to also get My Little Pony: Friends Forever #6-10 and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #1-12. If you pay $15 or more, you'll receive all of the above plus My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #13-23, My Little Pony: Animated, Vol. 1: The Magic Begins, and My Little Pony: Animated, Vol. 2: When Cutie Calls.

Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next