And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Reading comics on tablets
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:54 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
I HAS THESE.

Now, what app should I use to read them, and what format should I use? I have various tablets and shit.

My personal choice is either CBR or CBZ (they're essentially the same, though historically CBZ has been more reliable) and the Perfect Viewer app on Android on whichever tablet you've got that has the biggest screen. Set it to 'fit to page' so you can the entirety of each page on screen and off you go. Whenever you hit a double page spread just turn the tablet to landscape mode and/or zoom in to read it.

I notice though that that there's an HD PDF option so I don't know if the image quality would be noticeably better with that format or not. Depending on the resolution of your device's screen you might not see a difference in which case one of the smaller file size options would be a better experience.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hmm, that's Apple only and I have a crappy iPad 1.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:56 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Hmm, that's Apple only and I have a crappy iPad 1.

What Android kit have you got for comparison? I suspect the original iPad might struggle a bit to smoothly display loads of large image files but it might still be an option depending on what Android stuff is your alternative.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

A Kindle Fire, an 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, a 10" Galaxy Tab 2, and a Samsung Note 3. And a PC, but the chances of me reading comics on that when Counter Strike is taunting me to improve my KDR is slim.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:15 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
A Kindle Fire, an 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, a 10" Galaxy Tab 2, and a Samsung Note 3. And a PC, but the chances of me reading comics on that when Counter Strike is taunting me to improve my KDR is slim.

The ten incher would give you the best display experience because, well, the page will be bigger on screen. So definitely try that one first I'd say and if handles swiping through the pages smoothly enough you're sorted. If not, see if the iPad works as it's got the next biggest screen and, failing that, go with the Galaxy Tab 3.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:22 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Bamba wrote:
My personal choice is either CBR or CBZ (they're essentially the same, though historically CBZ has been more reliable)

You are aware that CBR files are .RAR archive files of the images which have been renamed from .RAR to .CBR
And that CBZ files are just .ZIP archive files of the images which have been renamed from .ZIP ro .CBZ

You can rename either back , open them in your favourite archive program and grab the actual images if you want :-)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 
Excellent Member

zaphod79 wrote:
Bamba wrote:
My personal choice is either CBR or CBZ (they're essentially the same, though historically CBZ has been more reliable)

You are aware that CBR files are .RAR archive files of the images which have been renamed from .RAR to .CBR
And that CBZ files are just .ZIP archive files of the images which have been renamed from .ZIP ro .CBZ

You can rename either back , open them in your favourite archive program and grab the actual images if you want :-)

I am aware, that's why I said they're essentially the same. In my experience comic reading apps historically had spots of trouble with some RAR archives and there were times I've had to un-RAR one and repackage it as a zipped CBZ instead to read it. Although admittedly I haven't seen any issues crop up for quite a while.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:38 
Sleepyhead

I found using the iPad Kindle app to read PDFs worked fine for me, but is quite probably sub-optimal.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:41 
PC Gamer

British Nervoso wrote:
I use ComicZeal

Ditto.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 15:10 
Excellent Member

Rodafowa wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
I use ComicZeal

Ditto.

I've bought and installed ComicZeal. For some of the comics I've put on my IPad it puts them into a collection, others (from the same series) are put in outside a collection.

Any idea what I need to do so that comics from the same series go into a collection? I had a look at file names can't see anything obvious.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 15:14 
Excellent Member

asfish wrote:
Rodafowa wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
I use ComicZeal

Ditto.

I've bought and installed ComicZeal. For some of the comics I've put on my IPad it puts them into a collection, others (from the same series) are put in outside a collection.

Any idea what I need to do so that comics from the same series go into a collection? I had a look at file names can't see anything obvious.

Does this help at all:

https://comiczeal.tenderapp.com/kb/orga ... nto-series

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 15:44 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:
asfish wrote:
Rodafowa wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
I use ComicZeal

Ditto.

Does this help at all:

https://comiczeal.tenderapp.com/kb/orga ... nto-series

Yes! Thanks, I found it I name the comics the same and put 001, 002 etc on the end they go into a collection

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 15:51 
UltraMod

I was going to say use the tutorial within the app as it explains exactly how to do it there.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 23:19 
Sleepyhead

This Humble Bundle thing is going to end up costing me a fortune if it gets me into buying loads more comics. Curse you, Bamba!

The only problem is they get read so quickly!

Anyway, am done with chapter 1-6 of Saga, which was excellent. Will read the next set soon.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:35 
Excellent Member

I've been reading Fables, quite a new and often dark take on all the fairy tale characters.

Also Crossed Badlands, a zombie type comic, not for the faint hearted!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:04 
Excellent Member

asfish wrote:
I've been reading Fables, quite a new and often dark take on all the fairy tale characters.

Fables is excellent indeed. The thing that amazes me is the consistency; it's been running since 2002 over 139 issues and it's always very good.

On a related note, if you weren't already aware, the latest game by Travellers Tales (the studio that did the recent Walking Dead game) is 'The Wolf Among Us' which is a murder mystery set in the Fables universe with Bigby Wolf as the main character. I've played two of the three currently available chapters and really enjoyed it.

asfish wrote:
Also Crossed Badlands, a zombie type comic, not for the faint hearted!

I do like the Crossed stuff in general and the Crossed themselves are compelling plot devices but Badlands has been incredibly patchy with the quality differing massively from one story to the next. I think it's been shopped around a few different writers though to be fair. The original series was one of the best but then Garth Ennis is a decent writer mostly.

What's definitely worth checking out is Crossed: Wish You Were Here; it's an ongoing and completely free web based series set in the same universe and, for my money, is one of the better stories by a long chalk.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:08 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:
This Humble Bundle thing is going to end up costing me a fortune if it gets me into buying loads more comics. Curse you, Bamba!

The only problem is they get read so quickly!

Well, yeah, that's the reason why I tend to pirate them because the 'bang for your buck' is incredibly low. I understand why they cost what they cost but for the amount of time it takes me to read a single issue or trade it's just not worth it to me. I would actually pay a relatively high amount of money a month for a proper 'all you can eat' deal (i.e. Netflix for comics) but paying for individual issues or trades would cost a stupid amount and I'm just not going to do it.

Note: I'm not saying that above stance can be justified on a moral level or anything, and I'm sure others don't feel the same, it's just how I feel.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:25 
8-Bit Champion

Bamba wrote:
On a related note, if you weren't already aware, the latest game by Travellers Tales (the studio that did the recent Walking Dead game) is 'The Wolf Among Us' which is a murder mystery set in the Fables universe with Bigby Wolf as the main character. I've played two of the three currently available chapters and really enjoyed it.

If your interested you can get the first episode on iOS for free right now

http://uk.ign.com/prime/promo/wolf-among-us-free

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:28 
8-Bit Champion

Bamba wrote:
Well, yeah, that's the reason why I tend to pirate them because the 'bang for your buck' is incredibly low. I understand why they cost what they cost but for the amount of time it takes me to read a single issue or trade it's just not worth it to me. I would actually pay a relatively high amount of money a month for a proper 'all you can eat' deal (i.e. Netflix for comics) but paying for individual issues or trades would cost a stupid amount and I'm just not going to do it.

Not for comics (yet) but there is an equivalent for magazines called readr (it does have Viz but not really any other comics)

http://www.readrapp.com/

Pay a fee and download / read all the digital magazines you want - the subscription is around the same as buying one magazines ($10 / £6 a month)

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 20:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

zaphod79 wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Not for comics (yet)

http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited

Ten bucks a month.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 21:26 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Not for comics (yet)

http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited

Ten bucks a month.

I'd probably give that a go if it was possible to get the iPad app to actually download anything, or run for more than a minute without crashing...

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:26 
Isn't that lovely?

or $69 for the year, which is what I paid.

What's that? Less than £3.50 a month

Bargain if you ask me.

Malc

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:16 
Excellent Member

The only problem for me with that option, which I have looked at before, is I'd need to give up reading Marvel comics for at least six months while the selection on there caught up. Also it only lets you keep ten issues at a time offline and I do read a lot of comics when I'm out and about with no guaranteed net connection. It's a good deal, don't get me wrong, but there are caveats.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 13:59 

I use Komik for reading on my tablet. It's a free app but pay a £1 or so to remove the ads. It's worked fine for me but I've read that it can have issues with CBR files. I've got a .bat file that extracts and repacks from CBR to CBZ just to be sure that everything works.

I use torrents for my comic needs as I just can't afford to buy them any more. At one point, my monthly pull list was upwards of £70

I read everything on my Tab 3, which is great for size.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 21:10 
ugvm'er at heart...

Right, comic fans, I would like some recommendations.

I've bought the humble bundle, so i'll work my way through those. I have the Buffy comics so I expect i'll give those a go, but after that what should I be reading? I haven't read any comics since The Beano.
What's a good series to start with? I'm downloading Guardians of the Galaxy at the moment, which seems up my street. I expect i'm more into the superhero stuff, rather than the esoteric angst ridden emo stuff.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 21:24 
Sleepyhead

Definitely read Saga from the bundle. It's awesome.

I am in need of recommendations too. Am considering buying a story arc of some description from the Marvel Universe, but it annoys me that every single one seems to start the blurb with "Following the shocking events of Blah blah Blah..."

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 23:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Deadpool, obv.

Hit me up if you'd like to know "a good shop".

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:24 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
Definitely read Saga from the bundle. It's awesome.

I am in need of recommendations too. Am considering buying a story arc of some description from the Marvel Universe, but it annoys me that every single one seems to start the blurb with "Following the shocking events of Blah blah Blah..."

Spider-Man: Brand New Day is a good place to start as that's where they rebooted it a few years ago.

Watchmen, V for Vendetta, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore.

Batman: Year One, Dark Knight Returns, any Vol 1 from the New 52 is a good place to start with for DC.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:56 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
Deadpool, obv.

RMD, SVP

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:24 
Excellent Member

British Nervoso wrote:
any Vol 1 from the New 52 is a good place to start with for DC.

Be careful here, the New 52 is mostly utter, utter shite. There's a couple of series that are decent* and some that much later on became okay** but there's so much jaw-droppingly bad shit in there I honestly don't know what the fuck they're doing.

*The Batman stuff mostly, and Brian Azzarello's weird mythical take on Wonder Woman continues to be very good.
**Jeff Lemire has pretty much quietly rebooted Green Arrow all over again to make it into something that's not completely embarrassing to read and the current Swamp Thing run's not bad.

My recommendation would be not to necessarily look at certain characters/teams because the quality is incredibly variable depending on who's doing the writing at any given time. I think your best bet is to look at the best writers and see what they've done you might fancy. A couple of picks for writers to look for be Warren Ellis and Keiron Gillen; there's very little the two of them have done that isn't well worth reading.

If you're willing to go back a bit, Warren Ellis' Transmetropolitan series is completely stand alone and is just brilliant stuff from start to finish, but most of his own stuff is well worth reading. Super-hero wise he's done acclaimed runs on Iron Man, Thunderbolts (the issue where Norman Osborn finally completes his slow backslide from hero-of-the-hour to violent psychopath is honestly one of the funniest things I've ever read), and his original run on The Authority is top stuff.

Keiron Gillen started out with his own series Phonogram, a very British melding of magic and music that's well worth checking out. Since then he's done very good stuff with S.W.O.R.D., X-Men, Iron Man and Young Avengers. The best thing though is definitely his long run on Journey Into Mystery, which is a sort of Thor spin-off that he used to rehabilitate the character of Loki. It's funny and touching and just excellent all round.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:52 
ugvm'er at heart...

I read the two Saga volumes from the bundle last night, they were great :) More like that please! :D

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bamba wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
any Vol 1 from the New 52 is a good place to start with for DC.

Be careful here, the New 52 is mostly utter, utter shite. There's a couple of series that are decent* and some that much later on became okay** but there's so much jaw-droppingly bad shit in there I honestly don't know what the fuck they're doing.

*The Batman stuff mostly, and Brian Azzarello's weird mythical take on Wonder Woman continues to be very good.
**Jeff Lemire has pretty much quietly rebooted Green Arrow all over again to make it into something that's not completely embarrassing to read and the current Swamp Thing run's not bad.

My recommendation would be not to necessarily look at certain characters/teams because the quality is incredibly variable depending on who's doing the writing at any given time. I think your best bet is to look at the best writers and see what they've done you might fancy. A couple of picks for writers to look for be Warren Ellis and Keiron Gillen; there's very little the two of them have done that isn't well worth reading.

If you're willing to go back a bit, Warren Ellis' Transmetropolitan series is completely stand alone and is just brilliant stuff from start to finish, but most of his own stuff is well worth reading. Super-hero wise he's done acclaimed runs on Iron Man, Thunderbolts (the issue where Norman Osborn finally completes his slow backslide from hero-of-the-hour to violent psychopath is honestly one of the funniest things I've ever read), and his original run on The Authority is top stuff.

Keiron Gillen started out with his own series Phonogram, a very British melding of magic and music that's well worth checking out. Since then he's done very good stuff with S.W.O.R.D., X-Men, Iron Man and Young Avengers. The best thing though is definitely his long run on Journey Into Mystery, which is a sort of Thor spin-off that he used to rehabilitate the character of Loki. It's funny and touching and just excellent all round.

Thanks Bamba. The only problem I have is the same as Curio, the whole dropping into the middle of an established series, which I imagine will only be worse if I cherry pick particular writers unless I look at their standalone stuff?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:58 
UltraMod

Marvel's Civil War works as a standalone title, even though it references earlier stuff.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:59 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Be careful here, the New 52 is mostly utter, utter shite.

I've only read Detective Comics and the Batman ones so far, and I thought they were pretty good. I've got the first Justice League to get through as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:10 
Sleepyhead

Trooper wrote:
I read the two Saga volumes from the bundle last night, they were great :) More like that please! :D

They really are, aren't they? There's a third volume out as well, at full price. After that we're caught up and have to wait for the glacial pace of comic publishing. Boo!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
Deadpool, obv.

I'm a seasoned shopper, but send it over :)

My current list of "shit to read"

y : the last man
preacher
batman : year one
100 bullets
superman : red son
Marvel : 1602
Fables
x-men - days of future past
Astonishing X-men
Planetary
Powers
Invincible
Deadpool
Spiderman : Brand New Day
Transmetropolitan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:50 
PC Gamer

Bamba wrote:
A couple of picks for writers to look for be Warren Ellis and Keiron Gillen; there's very little the two of them have done that isn't well worth reading.

Emphatic cosign. Greg Rucka and Gail Simone are pretty much the only other writers whose stuff I'll pick up as a matter of course.

In the vein of cool fun superhero-y stuff: Atomic Robo. Funny, great action, great art. Everyone should be reading Atomic Robo. Comixology has all its "Free Comic Book Day" issues to download for (duh) free which are self-contained stories so you can dip your toe in to see if it's for you (spoiler: it will be for you).

Any of the Marvel NOW! #1s are decent jumping-on points. Other than the stuff already mentioned I'd single out Mark Waid's run on Daredevil and the Matt Fraction/David Aja Hawkeye, which are both all sorts of awesome.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:50 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
Thanks Bamba. The only problem I have is the same as Curio, the whole dropping into the middle of an established series, which I imagine will only be worse if I cherry pick particular writers unless I look at their standalone stuff?

When it comes to the super-hero stuff then yeah, you're going to have that problem of dropping in. The thing is though there's no way round that unless you want to go and read like twenty years worth of comics; it's just the nature of the beast. The better writers though will at least do a better job of making things coherent; plus the start of a new run by a new writer on a given character/team at least gives you a jumping off point in terms of the particular story they're telling.

Obviously DC have tried to address this with the New 52 stuff, and Marvel did similar a few years before that with the Ultimate line, but no matter when you do your reboot you instantly begin setting up stuff that'll be built on later and potentially bamboozle new-comers so at best it's a very temporary solution. And with the New 52 I don't even think they've done a very good job of that because there's still assumed knowledge or unexplained shit in some of the series'.

So, I dunno, I think if it's the mainstream super-hero stuff you're after you just need to deal with dropping in part-way through the soap-opera of it all. Googling references or characters as they come up will get you most of the way there and you can always drop questions to Beex folks here if you're totally stuck. The alternative as you say is to pick up more stand-alone creator owned stuff which is what I did for a long time, muchpreferring to read Vertigo series' rather than anything with capes and tights in it.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:55 
Excellent Member

British Nervoso wrote:
Marvel's Civil War works as a standalone title, even though it references earlier stuff.

I loved the Civil War event, I thought it was a genuinely interesting discussion of the whole idea of super-heroes conducted in-universe and allowed for some brilliant character level stuff as well. I hesitated to recommend it because I read all the tie-ins and stuff (which would cost about a billion pounds) so wasn't sure how well it worked if you were only reading the main series. If it's coherent enough read like that then yeah, totally pick it up.

Rodafowa wrote:
Other than the stuff already mentioned I'd single out Mark Waid's run on Daredevil and the Matt Fraction/David Aja Hawkeye, which are both all sorts of awesome.

Indeed, both are awesome and don't really require much prior knowledge of the characters either.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:00 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Deadpool, obv.

I'm a seasoned shopper, but send it over :)

My current list of "shit to read"

y : the last man
preacher
batman : year one
100 bullets
superman : red son
Marvel : 1602
Fables
x-men - days of future past
Astonishing X-men
Planetary
Powers
Invincible
Deadpool
Spiderman : Brand New Day
Transmetropolitan

I would liek a good shop too, as I should start reading comics again

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:03 
Excellent Member

Demonoid was my go to before it got shut down and these days I just go to Pirate Bay as they've got a whole section specifically for comics. Every Wednesday/Thursday all the individual new issues get uploaded and you can just pick up what you want. People do also upload packs and older series so you can browse through it if there's something specific you're after.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:09 
PC Gamer

Home taping is killing music!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I read Atomic Robo years ago - it was indeed pretty good.

There are some good webcomics too, but that's probably something for another thread.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:49 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
There are some good webcomics too, but that's probably something for another thread.

Something like this maybe?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That would have been better if I'd said about Concerned in it.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 15:28 

Grim... wrote:

I'd like to know this too although I already use one private tracker.

I have every single issue, bar two from 1947, of Captain America should anyone want them. The early issues are a fucking struggle to read, mind you.

Those of you that read Civil War, how did you go about what issues to include? I followed the reading order in this link and wondered if there are any other issues I need to include before I start reading.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 15:37 
Excellent Member

TK-421 wrote:
Those of you that read Civil War, how did you go about what issues to include? I followed the reading order in this link and wondered if there are any other issues I need to include before I start reading.

I was reading it as it came out so just read whatever was published that week I think. That page you've linked to is apparently the official Marvel reading order so I can't imagine it'll steer you wrong.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 15:39 
Excellent Member

Also, I've got a fuck-ton of stuff lying around and am happy to make any of it available for anyone who wants it. I've got an exhaustive list at home (on a spreadsheet of course), what's the best way to make that list available?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 15:46 
Awesome
Yes

Bamba wrote:
Also, I've got a fuck-ton of stuff lying around and am happy to make any of it available for anyone who wants it. I've got an exhaustive list at home (on a spreadsheet of course), what's the best way to make that list available?

Publically shared google doc?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 15:48 
Excellent Member

Mr Russell wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Publically shared google doc?

Yeah, that might work, if the original multi-tabbed XLS imports okay into Docs. I'll give it a shot tonight.

Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next