Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bloodborne - From Software - PS4
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 0:07 
Bad Girl

I've had a fair few hours this evening and, finally, cleared the Nightmare Frontier and met the boss. That area is a complete ball ache with these big sods throwing rocks in your face and the entire floor area being a pit of poison.

Mind you it's a great place for farming those blood gem things but since I'd already settled on my favourite weapon when I started the game (Axe, init) (and I ain't changing it for nothing) and I only need the ultra rare blood stones to level it up again (I need 8 of the bastard things, hnnng) the level has been wasted slightly on me. I'm sure my axe is now +7 or +8 and hits like a bitch.

The only other weapon I like at the minute is the Rifle Spear. When you two-hand it it still shoots (which is nice, but I'm crap at shooting) but more importantly it has a massive thrusting attack with proper distance on it. I used it exclusively the second time you come to the Grand Catherdral as it was the only thing that'd work.

And I purchased an arm cannon too which uses about 10 bullets per shot. Nice but massively impractical. So bearing that in mind... I've been leveling it up. Tch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 17:50 
Bad Girl

Right, so I'm a place where I can't currently access a lamp, plus I've no blood vials cause I've used them all up and I need them but also my axe has degraded cause, like an idiot, I thought I'd go for power and ignore weapon durability cause that'll never come back to bite me in the ass when I'm stuck in a place without any lamps will it? Fucks sake.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 17:52 
Bad Girl

Well fuck me. 2 hours stuck in this place and I've been running past the lamp about 20 fucking times. Amazingly I'd just noticed it after I wrote that post. Dickhead.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 18:49 
Hibernating Druid

Lampoon.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 22:11 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

I ran out of blood vials against Vicar Amelia - and i'm playing through earlier sections to farm them (I have the co-op bell run so i've also helped 3 people beat the Blood Beast)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 22:20 
Bad Girl

What do you get for a successful boss kill when you help someone out?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 23:28 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:

Insight - not sure if i also got a share of the boss takedown - plus the chance to help out people who were obviously struggling

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 23:31 
Rude Belittler

Watch your insight, people. Things change, usually for the worse, at high insight levels. For example, once you hit 15, the dudes in Cathdral Ward start firing magic at you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 0:38 
8-Bit Champion

Pundabaya wrote:
For example, once you hit 15, the dudes in Cathdral Ward start firing magic at you.

By a strange co-incidence i'm at 14 , although i have about 9 'skull things' which could add extra on

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 17:31 
Bad Girl

zaphod79 wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Insight - not sure if i also got a share of the boss takedown - plus the chance to help out people who were obviously struggling

How much insight do you get though?

I might give this a go later on and maybe even try and PvP someone for giggles.

I had about 20 insight but sold it all for some useless gear that turned out to be lower in defence than I was already wearing. Tch. I've got a shit ton of madmans knowledge stored up though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 17:32 
Bad Girl

Pundabaya wrote:
Watch your insight, people. Things change, usually for the worse, at high insight levels. For example, once you hit 15, the dudes in Cathdral Ward start firing magic at you.

Did not know this! They started firing Magic at me after I done the chapel boss so I thought it was connected to that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 17:34 
Bad Girl

Thinking about it during the three hunter fight I got smashed with magic a couple of times but then they stopped. I can't remember but I might have brought some guff from the magic bowl between fights. I can't remember though. Tch, aye?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 18:32 
Rude Belittler

You get one insight per boss taken down as co-op buddy. You also get stuff that's dropped and blood echoes.(I think it's half for the boss, not sure about Mooks.)

In my game went to the Healing Church Workshop, then the Abandoned Workshop. Then ended up getting bagged. Met Dark beast Paarl. Tonight right back to the beginning, then further explore the Cathdral Ward.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 20:34 
Hibernating Druid

Loads of places opened now, but still finding myself going back to the start to farm blood :)

Not missing the shield at all now, liking the pace of this game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 18:34 
Rude Belittler

Helped 'Come On' Eileen beat up Father Gascoigne's old mate. Found Vicar Amelia. Ouch. Gore discretion shot in a horror game! Then she killed me. Repeatedly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 21:11 
Bad Girl

I had a brilliant fight with a guy on a castle roof. Could I fuck him up? Nope.

I tried everything: lunging with the rifle spear (worked for a time), jumping him with my big axe (worked a bit), going for the big R2 (didn't work at all) but this guy got the better of me time after time after time.

Like most bosses he's changes up his pattern midway through from mildy aggressive to ultra aggressive but this guy changed up about a third into his health bar. And he does this cunty move that basically means you have to linger behind stuff cause all these swords flying round the shop. Goddamn he was cunty.

I even had to farm a load of blood vials cause I'd drained my resources time and again. I was doing the Cathedral run netting about 12,000 souls and about 10 vials on each run. It was amusing to one hit kill all but the biggest arseholes an' all.

And then back I went and got my arse handed to me. I'd smack him with the arm cannon: 500 damage. And miss with the second shot. Fuck. I switched up my weapons: got him down to half energy.

I even called for him but the damage input from me and my ace mate was reduced cause there was two of us getting beat up. (By the way, I finally know what you mean about the woman ringing the sinister bell. And I found the bitch. Didn't get invaded though, shame)

So tonight I'd had enough after 4 runs. Time for Ian to get aggressive. I'm weaving in and slapping him with the axe. I'm dodging blows, trading blows (more dodging than trading to be fair), the bosses slow swipes; I'm timing my dodges better, I'm smashing the sword things away, I'm a fucking hero, his health is whittling down and I've got over 10 vials left, I'm a genius, he swipes I dodge, he swipes I dodge, I'm behind him, I'm chopping him up with short thrusting in his back, he falls. I claim the crown (literally).

This is the most exhilarating game I've played in ages.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 21:45 
Bad Girl

I've got 18 insight and the purple light carriers are firing magic at me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 22:45 
Bad Girl

My Arcane stat is 7.

You need 15 to start puffin flames out your holes.

I've come too far to start piling hard earned souls into dabbling with magic. If you want to try magic probably beat to gets the stats in early while they're cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 22:48 
Bad Girl

Plus I've killed 3 bosses tonight and I was carrying 70,000 souls during the last one (which was piss easy thankfully). Could have gotten bad though so I had my "wake up" card at the ready.

Then this awesome message someone had left cryptically told me to stick around and find a secret. And find it I did. This was a fine note.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 0:04 
Rude Belittler

Went back to Central Yarnham and murdered everything. spent all my Coldblood Dew, and got Ludwig's Holy Blade. And leveled it up to plus 3. Then I murdered everything in the Cathedral Ward using it. (except the boss) Kapow!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:39 
Hibernating Druid

Lost just under 40,000 blood tonight, most in one go so far. But I made very good progress including another weapon find!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:08 
8-Bit Champion

And I'm still going round the basic areas to gain souls and consumables but i still cant take down Vicar Amelia - had her down to only a fraction of health left but she managed to take me down :-(

Quote:
and got Ludwig's Holy Blade. And leveled it up to plus 3.

I have this as my secondary weapon and it does a lot of damage and seems to 'stun' a lot of the big characters - its just a little too high on the stamina requirements for me (only 2 or 3 swipes for my full meter) - I think i need to level that stat up a little to give me more full swipes :-)

My normal action here would be to ring the bell and call someone in - but because of the area i'm in it doesnt work - i cant have a friend help me to take her down - given that the next two options for me are open (left or right at the church) I may just bypass her just now and then come back

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:28 
Hibernating Druid

I rang for help for the Vicar, think I did it on the steps rather than in the church.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:54 
8-Bit Champion

Zardoz wrote:
I rang for help for the Vicar, think I did it on the steps rather than in the church.

Hmmm - I will try around the area - i know you cant do it at spawn , or just before you go in but i may just clear out the steps and then try up and down there.

I did go to the bottom of the steps - kill the big creatures there - and go all around the outside of that part of town which just loops back to the church area

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:30 
Hibernating Druid

All four area headstones 'opened' now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:33 

A mate at work has nearly finished it three times :blown:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:15 
Hibernating Druid

Fucking hell! I wonder who that is? :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:16 
Hibernating Druid

Just met the new
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Mushroom Men!
in the Forbidden Forrest :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 14:45 
Bad Girl

I love the forest - It's fucking terrifying.

I've packing my +8 (or is it +9) axe and, apparently, I need one Blood Rock to level it up further. I haven't come across any such thing. Obv.

I found another boss in that secret area yesterday who bested me good and proper. I was sat there stunned after getting a good walloping considering getting some help but, apparently, at 11PM no fucker wants to play with me.

I'm still nonplussed by the multiplayer angle at the moment. 9 times out of 10 the sodding thing doesn't work. It's just not as straightforward as the Souls summoning system. See something on the floor? That means someone is standing there waiting for YOU. Here it's ring the bell and someone may, but more often than not, may not be standing about waiting to help. You could be standing in a server wasteland but you'd have absolutely no way of knowing.

I did try a bit of PvP last night too which was fun but, again, the frame rates are shonky and too many times you hit someone who isn't standing where you thought he was or you get hit in an area where you were seconds earlier. It's a laggy lag festival of lag. Probably. I don't even know if "lag" is the issue. It was always an issue in the other Souls games and it remains so here even though I've got ultra fast broadband, a wired connection, and a fancy new PS4.

Still it was fun and I got beat (natch) but someone who had equipment that I'd never seen before. Mind you, I managed to R2 him. He must have felt like a div when he got axe to his grill. Good times.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 15:58 
Hibernating Druid

Haven't had any issues with the multiplayer. Could be time of day / how busy server is? Loads of things I want to blart out but don't want to spoil anything for others. Bloody lovely this game.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 16:35 
8-Bit Champion

One other thing for the multiplayer is check your 'region' setting - mine defaulted to Europe but you can change it to 'world' which gave me more chances to work with others to take down bosses (and I assume makes it easier for others to join me)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 17:21 
Rude Belittler

If you want to know how busy your 'shard' is, go to the lamp, more messengers,the more people are about.The other thing I've found is that because it is proximity based, the worst thing to do is stand by the fog gate. Set the bell ringing at the lamp, and head to the boss. YOur ringing bell is more likely to intersect client ringing bells if you're moving.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:23 
Bad Girl

I did an uncool thing but after this guy invaded my session I wasn't going to undo all my hard work especially when I had a load of blood vials sat further up waiting for me.

So yeah, I did pretend to get freaked out and run back to the lamp, yes I did lure him into doing a wave just so I could start my attack and wail on him. Fuck that guy.

I felt guilty afterwards though.

http://youtu.be/HFJtW6KAs-M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 13:28 
Hibernating Druid

Ding dong the witch is dead!

Not too bad a boss really, easily done solo.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 20:53 
Rude Belittler

Witch done, Darkbeast Paarl done, on to the Forbidden Woods.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 21:23 
Bad Girl

I've finished it!

It's been massive fun, intriguing, glorious combat, maddening bosses, fantastic areas and graphics, loads of pots to break, ace weapons, etc etc etc.

I'll write more later.

It's the best game on PS4. It's also one of the best games I've played in ages.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:44 
Paws for thought

Is it as good as Dark Souls though?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 14:49 
Hibernating Druid

It's still a Dark Souls game to me. So many things have been carried over. Including sound effects :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 22:56 
Rude Belittler

Made lots of progress in the Forbidden Woods. Opened up the shortcuts, got lots of stuff, just had a few goes at the boss and... ouch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:33 
8-Bit Champion

I'm just behind you - done the witch last night

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:08 
Rude Belittler

I loves Ludwig's Holy-Big-Fucking-Sword... the extra reach and the way it staggers enemies is so useful. L2 is a great opener, a quick overhead swing. Charged R2 followed by R2 is good against slow enemies, especially as it pancakes humanold enemies.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:12 
8-Bit Champion

Pundabaya wrote:
I loves Ludwig's Holy-Big-Fucking-Sword...

I'm switching back and forward between them - the sword for big enemies (and bosses) and my normal cleaver for the rest (the speed and handling of that make it so easy to take down everything else).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 13:37 
Hibernating Druid

I'm loving my Electro mace at the moment. Still go back to the hammer though for some lovely 'one hit wonders' :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 16:01 
Bad Girl

Mr Dave wrote:
Is it as good as Dark Souls though?

No.

Or maybe yes.

Christ, it's hard to be objective here as to which is the better game. There's virtually no filler in Bloodborne. Dark Souls was a massive tightly woven labyrinth masterpiece. Bloodborne's is slightly smaller but equally enthralling yet without 'some' of the mystique. But the only reason that it's lacking is that we've had Dark Souls so we know the types of tricks and games that FROM have in store. We know we have to take our time, we know there's giant bosses, we know there's maze-like structures with hidden items, we know there's a lot of junk items, we know all of these things because of Dark Souls. If I'd never played Dark Souls I might think this was the greatest thing since sliced bread but since I've played Dark Souls I know that this is the greatest thing since Dark Souls.

It's kinda a natural evolution from Demons Souls to Dark Souls to Bloodborne where the fat is trimmed with each passing. The ridiculous weight limits were removed and now the weight limits are absent entirely. Who cares what you're welding cause you'll still be as fast as you started out at the beginning. The magic (which I relied on some much in Demons; loved in Dark Souls and, personally, HATED with a passion in Dark Souls 2) is restricted to tiny items picked up in the later third of the game. They're fun to muck around with (as magic should be) without spoiling the game for everyone else (remember the massive magic effects that nailed bosses in DS2 while you stood glibly by and made PvP a nuisance). The shooting is reet good fun (even though I barely used it at all). The weapons are great and varied. The two handed moveset is cool as fuck. The edition of a third (and sometimes fourth) attack button can change up the combos (personally I love when you start with a one handed attack and combine your weapon mid-way through for some uber cool looking combos).

The graphics are sublime. There's only noticeable slowdown and some pop up of effects (like fire on torches) when you're speed running around. You'll find none of it when you're just negotiating the areas normally no matter how many things are onscreen. The pots and barrels that you break are many. The enemies are first class. I can't think of any boss or enemy that I thought "meh" to, unlike DS2 which were a little deary. The backgrounds are a little "too" detailed for my liking as you see places where you've been but they're difficult in the city to pick out amongst the buildings. When you get out into the forest and see Byrgenworth (however its spelt) you'll love it. The windmill thing at the top of the cliff is a "high point" (AHAHAHAHAH). The Nightmare worlds are "insanely" (AHAHAH) (I'll stop that now) detailed. The big brain thing thing at the start of one world is a tricky area (and a secret I initially missed). Level layouts are great: shortcuts galore in some of the best designs since Dark Souls. None of this linear Dark Souls 2 stuff or the terrible volcano on a windmill crap. Plus there's areas where you actually find having a torch helps (or a lantern on your pocket), which Dark Souls 2 on the last gen couldn't handle.

The sound is fantastic; like, really fantastic. The voice acting is terrible of course, but better than ever before. It's suitably eerie throughout. The enemies attack sounds range from standard grunts and shouts to THOSE FUCKING CROWS. Terrifying is an understatement.

Story: It's nonsense. Natch.

Cut scenes: There's a few more. I actually liked how muted they were.

Endings: There's some and they are not universally terrible but if you've not been paying attention to story details (and it's a Dark Souls game so why would you even 'get' it first time round without reading up) then you might just think "Wha?"

Anyway, I managed to reach the last boss and thought "Fuck it, off to the wikis I go, so I don't miss anything". And I missed a fair bit. I also thought, I'm going to kill all the NPCs; so I did. Got some natty slippers.

Insofar as the world is concerned, it's actually quite astonishing how many of the worlds and bosses are entirely optional. There's hidden bosses for no reason other than, hey, here's another fucker for you to have a go at. Hey, as far as I know you never even have to kill the first boss you meet and proved such a test for some of us on here. Two world's are entirely hidden unless you read the item descriptions (they are a dead give away as to the location however) of two items. One of these secret worlds is actually the best level by a county mile (HINT: It's the castle).

And it's all these secrets and the obviously genuine love that's clearly gone into creating the game that keeps you coming back until the bitter end.

Fortunately, cause I knew I was at the end I was able to go back and try out some of the wiki suggestions. I missed the big brain altogether. I knew I should have rinsed that area more thoroughly but it was a reet shitter of a level. In a good way. I was however surprised how much stuff I had actually found all by myself but there were some character quest lines that I didn't have a handle on but I was able to complete with a nudge here and there. I did experience some ace stuff though like the mental guy who I sent back to the cathedral or that twat in the window I sent to the clinic. I almost forgot about the clinic. And so on... I did however accidentally stumble upon the special items needed for the true ending but I didn't figure I had to use them to get the ending but the wiki sorted that out and that's the ending I got. FYI: It's the worst ending. I spotted the door to the abandoned area but I could never figure out how to get to it. The wiki sorted that out. There was stuff I couldn't do on my first playthrough like tame the chaingun guy but I would like to do on my NG+. And so on and so on and so on. So much stuff in there, so much seen, so much to see. I found myself over the weekend playing NG+. I defeated everyone up to the Vicar and then the Witch just cause, well, it's fucking ace.

Problems: it's the shortest Souls game. 39 hours to complete (by contrast I did Demon's in 50, Dark Souls 70 hours + for the first run and 100 hours in total, Dark Souls 2 I spent 69 hours with all the DLC in there).

Seriously, it's ace. 10/10. Best game on PS4. Better than Dark Souls? Maybe not.

It's the sequel that isn't a sequel to Dark Souls that we actually deserved.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 16:34 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:

^
|
|
How to sell the game :-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 23:47 
Rude Belittler

I like that it's more compact.

I always think that whoever the level designer is is a genius, how all the shortcuts work... I wonder if you took all the maps and fitted them together whether they'd all fit together properly.

I love the sense of place each area has. Even when everything is crazy, they still feel logical.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 23:51 
Bad Girl

I bet the map does connect properly. It certainly did with Dark Souls (see this 3D map viewer thing http://youtu.be/tyTB5vhKGSI ).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:08 
Rude Belittler

I wouldn't be surprised.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 16:53 
8-Bit Champion

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... -two-weeks

Quote:
Bloodborne sales pass 1m in under two weeks

From Software with love.

All the talk has converted into sales: From Software's brilliant Bloodborne - only available on PlayStation 4 - has sold more than 1m copies.

Sony announced the sales in a press release and said the count was accurate as of 5th April. The game was released in North America 24th March and in the UK 27th March.

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said the game was a "new challenge" for Sony, and that he was "thrilled" people were enjoying the "beautiful melancholic atmosphere and palpable tension of Bloodborne". He means dying a lot.

The Souls series wasn't without success before Bloodborne, although the previous Dark Souls instalments were multiplatform.

Dark Souls would eventually rack-up 2.3m sales, but that included Japanese sales, plus sales of the Artorias of the Abyss Edition. Around the Western parts of the world, the original Dark Souls shifted around 1.3m copies, which is roughly what Dark Souls 2 shipped.

Demon's Souls was a PS3-only game and more obscure.

Bloodborne was rated Essential by Eurogamer, reviewer Richard Stanton describing it as "genius".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 0:23 
Rude Belittler

2 more bosses down, and everythin...holy shit! That was there all this time!?

Reply to topic  [ 658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next