Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Clarkson
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:51 
Excellent Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27253880

Reckon this will finish his career all because he may have said nigger in the context of an old nursery rhyme, even if he did its mumbled.

Who exactly has he offended here? The rhyme dates back from the days when nigger was used to describe a colour of brown, my grandmother told me before she died that when she was young the local furniture shop had a sofa in the window advertised as such.

There is a big difference in directing an insult to someon and putting the same thing in a song or rhyme.

He should have known a lot better after years of being on TV, but its total hypocrisy how black people can use this word in music and comedy but white people can't even think it.

Post subject: Re: Clarkson
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:55 
Awesome
Yes

This will blow over by tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:58 
Awesome
Yes

AND the clip's from several years ago anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 13:18 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

asfish wrote:
Who exactly has he offended here? The rhyme dates back from the days when nigger was used to describe a colour of brown, my grandmother told me before she died that when she was young the local furniture shop had a sofa in the window advertised as such.

Not convinced of that at all - in the context of the rhyme it's clearly used as a noun, not a colour. However, there is no real crime in his reciting of the poem as originally intended, of course.

Quote:
its total hypocrisy how black people can use this word in music and comedy but white people can't even think it.

Bollocks is it. The word has obvious pejorative connotations. Why would anyone want to use a word that is outright racially offensive unless they were being racially offensive.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 13:20 
Excellent Member

Quote:
Bollocks is it. The word has obvious pejorative connotations. Why would anyone want to use a word that is outright racially offensive unless they were being racially offensive.

Ask Chris Rock and all the rappers that question!!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 13:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I find it hard to believe that you don't get that a white person using a racial epithet to describe a black person and a black person using the same epithet to describe another black person has a significant difference in how it would be taken.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 13:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

You tell him, honky!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 13:35 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

See, Trooper can call me a honky because he is also white. If he was a black person I would have killed his entire family.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 14:14 
Unpossible!

Cras wrote:
See, Trooper can call me a honky because he is also white. If he was a black person I would have killed his entire family.

Typical honky

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 14:24 
Sleepyhead

Cras wrote:

Racist.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 14:40 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
I find it hard to believe that you don't get that a white person using a racial epithet to describe a black person and a black person using the same epithet to describe another black person has a significant difference in how it would be taken.

It never started as an insult and was never meant to be one. The PC brigade has took an old fashioned word and made such a fuss that it’s something that black and white people have no idea what to do with it.

Black people sit pissing themselves laughing at Chris Rock so they have no cause to take offense at the word. You can’t have it both ways.

If you put black or white in front of any standard insult if far more offensive that honky or nigger

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 14:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Don't be an idiot. You don't get to decide what a group of people are or aren't allowed to be offended by.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 14:45 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
Don't be an idiot. You don't get to decide what a group of people are or aren't allowed to be offended by.

What I'm an idiot as I don't agree with you? How tolerant of you, is it because I’m white? If so I should be a honky idiot then?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 14:53 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I think he meant to say, don't be wrong, you wrong headed wrong'un.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 14:58 
Unpossible!

But Chris Rock is very vocal opponent of the n-word. Very vocal.

This is such a none story. He said a bad word off air and someone with an axe to grind has leaked it. Everyone knows Clarkson is a twit, but a racist? Nah.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 15:30 
Sleepyhead

asfish wrote:
Cras wrote:

It never started as an insult and was never meant to be one. The PC brigade has took an old fashioned word and made such a fuss that it’s something that black and white people have no idea what to do with it.

Black people sit pissing themselves laughing at Chris Rock so they have no cause to take offense at the word. You can’t have it both ways.

If you put black or white in front of any standard insult if far more offensive that honky or nigger

I... just... what?

There things such as Black History Month, the Society of Black Lawyers, etc.

I think they would be more than a tiny bit annoyed if you rocked up and said, "Ah hello, it's Nigger History Month! Any of you nigger lawyers want to tell me anything about nigger history?"

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 16:56 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
asfish wrote:
Cras wrote:

I... just... what?

There things such as Black History Month, the Society of Black Lawyers, etc.

I think they would be more than a tiny bit annoyed if you rocked up and said, "Ah hello, it's Nigger History Month! Any of you nigger lawyers want to tell me anything about nigger history?"

Racist.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 17:05 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

a) The "n-word"? What is this? America?

b)

Quote:
Although the clip was never broadcast on the BBC Two show, the corporation said it had received more than 300 complaints following recent media coverage.

I don't get it. He tried to present the rhyme but censor it, but did a bad job. So they didn't put it in the show and went with the 'teacher' version in the end. That's a good thing, right? Really though, I guess he could not have done the rhyme at all.

Watching the clip: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/vi ... se-3481201
It feels like one of those audio illusions where you hear a word with your eyes closed, but then play the clip back and see the same mouth making the same shape, but you 'hear' a different sound because you now see the mouth. Would we have noticed it had the news not pointed it out? (I've always thought it was 'Tigger', as in from Winnie the Pooh).

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 17:54 
Isn't that lovely?

I've just heard it on Radio 4, and his subsequent appology. And I think here there is nothing to answer. He was not trying to hide anything, he wanted to be edgy and skirt around saying nigger, but when he realised it could be possbile to interrupt what he said as nigger, he decided not to use it.

The context is also key here. I surveyed my kids and when they do/did it in the playground they used the word spider, I am sure when I was a kid the word was squirrel, He could just as easily have done "ip dip sky blue..." However I suspect that enie meenie is more well known, and then there is the humor aspect of suggesting a swear word without actually saying it.

I think the slope stuff was far more offensive!

Malc

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 18:00 
Paws for thought

Having now heard it. if you didn't already know the words to that, you wouldn't even consider that he'd used that word in it.

Conclusion: Mirror being daft. Again.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 18:12 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

If it wasn't for the slope thing, this probably wouldn't have got a fraction of the coverage and on its own is a non story.

However, I don't for a second believe that slope was accidental, so maybe its due.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 18:14 

What is slope?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 18:23 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Mimi wrote:
What is slope?

Equally offensive, although in an Asian (and not British) context.

In the most recent special, there was a (uneven) bridge with an Asian man walking on it, and he referred to the "slope on the bridge". Apparently this was unintentional...

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 18:39 

I have never heard that term before (apart from to mean an incline/ramp, obviously) and wouldn't have known it was offensive. I think I'd have to watch it with prior knowledge to see if I thought it was intentional or not, though I can see how it could run as part of everyday speech but also how that could be 'played' to knowingly pass off an ambiguous reference as innocent in some kind of stupid game (like naming as many Elvis song titles as you can during a news report) not something most decent people would do with something that was a racial slur or derogatory term.

Anyway, thanks for explaining. Genuinely nothing I had heard of before.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 18:48 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-04- ... ope-remark

There you go.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 18:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I didn't actually notice that when I watched it.

I mean, there say a slope on the bridge.

Next time he should say "It's on the piss".

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 19:01 
ugvm'er at heart...

Malc wrote:
I've just heard it on Radio 4, and his subsequent appology. And I think here there is nothing to answer. He was not trying to hide anything, he wanted to be edgy and skirt around saying nigger, but when he realised it could be possbile to interrupt what he said as nigger, he decided not to use it.

The context is also key here. I surveyed my kids and when they do/did it in the playground they used the word spider, I am sure when I was a kid the word was squirrel, He could just as easily have done "ip dip sky blue..." However I suspect that enie meenie is more well known, and then there is the humor aspect of suggesting a swear word without actually saying it.

Malc

Ip dip sky blue? Wtf?
"Ip dip penny chip" round here, or the more usual "ippy dippy dation, my operation, how many people at the station"

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 19:03 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Ip dip dog shit, clearly.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 19:04 

Ip dip dog shit...

EDIT: See! o/

Awesome
Yes

Ip dip dog shit, you are not it.

Awesome
Yes

Hi fives

Sleepyhead

Trooper wrote:
Malc wrote:

Malc

Ip dip sky blue? Wtf?
"Ip dip penny chip" round here, or the more usual "ippy dippy dation, my operation, how many people at the station"

WTF?

It is and was always,

"Ip Dip Dog Shit!"

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 19:05 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

\o/

Sleepyhead

HIGH FIVES ALL ROUND!

Awesome
Yes

\o

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 19:07 

What?

Eenie Meenie macaraca dare di dominaca, chica lacka lolly popper om pom push, out.

Obviously.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 19:08 

or...

Ip dip dog shit fucking bastard stupid git you are not it.

If you played with the 'other' kids.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 19:10 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Trooper wrote:
Malc wrote:

Malc

Ip dip sky blue? Wtf?

nah fuck that, the correct one is clearly "It Dit dog shit you are not it"

hah Mimi beat me to it

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 19:12 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

The fuck?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 19:23 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Fuck. Another page. Fuck.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 19:38 
Unpossible!

Mimi wrote:
What?

Eenie Meenie macaraca dare di dominaca, chica lacka lolly popper om pom push, out.

Obviously.

What the heck is that mess? :D

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 19:39 
Unpossible!

Mimi wrote:
or...

Ip dip dog shit fucking bastard stupid git you are not it.

If you played with the 'other' kids.

Wash your keyboard out with soap young lady!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 19:41 

DavPaz wrote:
Mimi wrote:
What?

Obviously.

What the heck is that mess? :D

hahaha. It's the one that we used :DD

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 19:58 
SavyGamer

Clarkson's apology is rather pathetic. If you are apologising for something, don't at the same time deny it ever even happened.

If anyone who didn't generate so much money for the BBC had said that in the workplace, it would have been legitimate grounds for sacking, regardless of whether it was on/off camera.

I've had enough of his license fee payer funded racism, sexism, ablism and xenophobia. Off with his head.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 20:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Clarkson makes so much money for the BBC he actually *saves* you money on your license fee.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 20:45 
Sitting balls-back folder

Grim... wrote:
I didn't actually notice that when I watched it.

I mean, there say a slope on the bridge.

Next time he should say "It's on the piss".

that was very very clever. A much.cleverer version of what the mirror is being a twat about.

If youre a racist you.laugh and are obviously a racist to everyone around yoy. If you're old enough to know but aren't a racist you feel a bit bad and acknowledge how far we've come. If you're young you hopefully have no clue or mention it and people explain in a responsible way.

Or you work for the mirror and behave like a cunt.

I saw it after being informed what the term was, so felt uncomfortable. Were it not for the cunts in the tabloid press I'd have known no better.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 20:54 
Unpossible!

The daft thing is, if you watch the specials where they galavant across some foreign field, Clarkson is usually the most informed and respectful out of the three. He's certainly the most willing to get involved with the local cultural conditions and he quite obviously loves travelling.

The problem is, he's public schoolboy with a northern accent. He's about as sensitive as Boris Johnson in a dentist chair.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 22:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Quote:
It also emerged on Friday that [BBC] lawyers are planning to write to Barack Obama and the ambassadors of every country in which Top Gear is aired asking them if the BBC motoring series should continue to be broadcast.

Jesus fucking Christ.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 23:08 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

WTF? What a waste of money and I really hope Obama has more important issues.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 23:12 
Unpossible!

Yes, indeed. Why Barack the guy?

(I may have been drinking)

Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next