Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ] 
 Post subject: Would you pay full price for early access?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 16:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/and-so-i ... ss/0126751

So we've gone from indies releasing unfinished work, to get funding to continue, to major companies releasing early access games.
A good thing? A chance for the community to influence a game as it is being made, and to play it early? Or just a realisation that they don't even need to bother to finish a game before they release it, get the cash and then move on.

Post subject: Re: Would you pay full price for early access?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 16:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'm hope you're happy, idiots.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 16:32 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

The last Jimquisition was on early access in general :

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... rly-Access

I think its a dangerous precedent but people have been 'getting away with it' for a while so some of the bigger companies are going to try it out - there are steam games right now that basically are full price and are not even at the 'alpha' stage and everything about the whole game could change.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 16:44 
Paws for thought

No. Anyone who does deserves to be punched in the face.

Well, unless they only charge about 5 pounds for the early access + game, but I don't see that happening.

And by game I mean full game, not some F2P style bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 16:56 
UltraMod

Absolutely not.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 17:21 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I agree with British Nervoso... Whoever he is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 17:22 
Excellent Member

Having people pay for 'early access' arguably makes sense in a couple of scenarios:

• If the developers need/want in income stream to actually fund the development of the game. So sort of like Kickstarter in a way, except you're definitely getting something for your money as opposed to just a promise of something later on.
  • If the type of game you're making could benefit from having an informed community during it's development to help influence the game design and implementation as it progresses. Obviously it's increasingly common for AAA games to have beta phases but those are more infrastructure tests that come at the end of development where actual gameplay isn't likely to be changing. I'm talking more about games where the developers are taking feedback from users about the design of actual in game systems to help them make either minor tweaks or larger design decisions. This doesn't make any sense for linear games like, I dunno, Uncharted or whatever but is potentially useful for more emergent or open world type games like DayZ etc.

This specific case doesn't seem to be covered be either of those scenarios and it depends what exactly they mean by, "we will use Early Access to fine tune the Ghost Recon Online experience." Are they genuinely just looking at user data to help balance the game properly? That makes it more like the traditional beta to me and is fair enough as it's exactly the kind of thing which is difficult to do without just throwing shitloads of real people at it. If there's actual 'stuff' they haven't implemented or polished up properly yet then no, they can GTFF.

Ultimately as long as a game ends up 100% finished off before it's released for proper sale it doesn't matter, but like everyone else I don't trust the bigger companies to do that if they know they can get the money early then just wander off. Even if no one involved in the project starts out thinking that way you can be sure that at some point senior management will just start quietly leeching resource away because fuck it, they've shipped that project haven't they?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 17:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

British Nervoso wrote:
Absolutely not.

What happened with DayZ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 17:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
If the type of game you're making could benefit from having an informed community during it's development to help influence the game design and implementation as it progresses.

In that case, surely the dev should pay for that feedback, rather than the other way around?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 18:00 

I don't see this as a black and white issue, particularly with ongoing online games that have the possibility of being endlessly expanded and tweaked. Where do you draw the line? EvE has been charging for subs for years, yet in that time it's released numerous full expansions. By the standards of where it is today, it was incomplete when it first launched. How is that any different?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 18:06 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
Absolutely not.

What happened with DayZ?

I didn't pay full price.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 18:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I don't see this as a black and white issue, particularly with ongoing online games that have the possibility of being endlessly expanded and tweaked. Where do you draw the line? EvE has been charging for subs for years, yet in that time it's released numerous full expansions. By the standards of where it is today, it was incomplete when it first launched. How is that any different?

Eve is free when you first sign up ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 18:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

British Nervoso wrote:
Grim... wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
Absolutely not.

What happened with DayZ?

I didn't pay full price.

Christ, people are paying the RRP for this now?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 18:15 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I think the difference is that at the very start Eve was a complete game - the fact they have added so much to it is great but even if they didnt there was a product which existed which was 'finished'

From the steam page for Rust right now

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252490/

Quote:
What the developers say:

“We are in very early development. Some things work, some things don't. We haven't totally decided where the game is headed - so things will change. Things will change a lot. We might even make changes that you think are wrong. But we have a plan. It's in our interest to make the game awesome - so please trust us.”

This is currently selling for £14.99

For Day Z

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221100/

Quote:
“DayZ Early Access is your chance to experience DayZ as it evolves throughout its development process. Be aware that our Early Access offer is a representation of our core pillars, and the framework we have created around them. It is a work in progress and therefore contains a variety of bugs. We strongly advise you not to buy and play

Quote:
WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.

Currently selling for £19.99

Assetto Corsa :

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24421 ... teredDLC_3

Quote:
What the developers say:

“Assetto Corsa is already in advanced state of completion. Meanwhile some features and structures are under progress and testing, the developers have decided to offer the immediate access to the basic features and contents included in the game, to satisfy the requests of the AC followers. A first, light build of Assetto Corsa is now available for download on Steam Early Access.

The first build of Assetto Corsa includes the main structure of the game and 8 classes of cars for a total number of 11 vehicles, with the aim to guarantee just from the beginning the chance to enjoy the dynamic model of the game racing with different kind of vehicles.

Players can buy the game saving 22% of the retail price, getting the access to the beta version, including its updates, and they will receive the final version of the game, when it will be released, without any additional charge.”

Currently selling for £29.99

Planetary Annihilation

http://store.steampowered.com/app/23325 ... teredDLC_8

Quote:
“Planetary Annihilation is in beta. In other words, we're still making the game! The core experience will change and improve through the coming days, weeks, and months. We update regularly, pushing out new features, tweaks, and optimizations.

It's kinda wild how far we've come since alpha, and our awesome game keeps getting awesomer as we make balance passes, continue to improve the visuals, and work on exciting features like portals and improved UI.

When you buy PA you're not just supporting us, you're helping shape a RTS. Send us your feedback, comments, and ideas on our message board. The team is constantly checking it, hearing what you have to say. Be heard!

NOTE! During beta features will come online as they're available. An online connection to the UberNet servers are required. Also, Steam has a no refunds policy except on pre-orders. This is instant access, not a pre-order.”

Currently selling for £39.99

I like how they are making it clear if its crap this is not a pre-order and you'll not get your money back - £40 for a game that they've not even finished yet !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 18:16 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
Grim... wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
Absolutely not.

What happened with DayZ?

I didn't pay full price.

Christ, people are paying the RRP for this now?

I just answered the question in the thread title.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 18:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

How do you know DayZ isn't going to launch for £15?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 18:33 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
If the type of game you're making could benefit from having an informed community during it's development to help influence the game design and implementation as it progresses.

In that case, surely the dev should pay for that feedback, rather than the other way around?

I'm assuming a general scenario here where the developers have already delivered a functional game but want it to be a living thing which gets updated and added to over a longer term. In that scenario there's not necessarily a time when it's officially 'finished', so having people pay for the current version and then be able to feed into the continuing design and development is fair to both sides I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 18:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh yeah, I'm fine with that - I'm not convinced that counts as "early access", though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 18:39 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Oh yeah, I'm fine with that - I'm not convinced that counts as "early access", though.

There's no hard and fast rule on Steam for what is an 'early access' game though and it's entirely up to the individual developer when the game gets that tag taken off it. Obviously this idea is totally open to abuse, the same way stuff like Kickstarter is, and I'm not saying anyone won't or hasn't; just that it doesn't need to be a bad thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 18:43 
Excellent Member

Also, even in cases where the 'early access' version is a bit rougher round the edges, I'm not sure I see anything wrong with people paying to get something that's playable to a degree plus the 'privilege' of an ongoing chance to shape the game to whatever their idea of fun is. Yes, obviously that benefits the developer as the player's feedback is valuable (in all senses of that word) but the players get something out of it as well that they don't get from the traditional sales model. Everyone wins, if it's done right.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 18:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'm going to start selling an early access car:

Only £23,000!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 18:58 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
How do you know DayZ isn't going to launch for £15?

Because they've already said it's going to go up to £30 for the Beta, then £40 for the full price game. It's what they did with Arma 3.

Also your steering wheel analogy is a bit far-fetched. It'd be more like selling a car with three gears, no air conditioning and only a driver's side mirror. Also you lost the argument immediately upon comparing it to cars.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 19:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

British Nervoso wrote:
Also your steering wheel analogy is a bit far-fetched.

My what now?

British Nervoso wrote:
It'd be more like selling a car with three gears, no air conditioning and only a driver's side mirror.

That's an original Range Rover you're describing!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 19:13 
UltraMod

I'm sending in the Time Variance Authority to clean this mess up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 19:23 

I've always wondered about the folk buying this... http://store.steampowered.com/app/244930/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 19:54 
Paws for thought

For the most part I don't see the difference between this and preordering (which, it should be noted I think is rather daft) bar the fact that you get to ruin the game for yourself with this.

The only gave I bought in this way was minecraft. Due to being cheap, and apparenly the best PC game eva y2k+10

Which informs my not doing it now, by the time the game was even vaguely near complete I'd played enough. I'd rather buy it when properly working next time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 20:09 
Bad Girl

Question: if you pay any sum for "early access" do you get the actual game for free when it's released or do you get the sum you paid knocked off the price or do you get some other discount not equivalent to the sum you paid or do you have to pay full price like everyone else?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 20:10 
UltraMod

I've dipped into DayZ and fired off some bug reports, but I don't plan on playing it in earnest until it's in Beta at least. I just enjoyed the mod so much for free that I didn't have any qualms in chucking them the equivalent of six pints of beer.

Saturnalian: usually you pay once and then you get free updates including the final release.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 20:13 
Bad Girl

British Nervoso wrote:
Saturnalian: usually you pay once and then you get free updates including the final release.

Sounds alright then if you're stress testing a MMO or some shit. I wouldn't though, cause I'm not a spaz.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:54 
Sleepyhead

Saturnalian wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

Sounds alright then if you're stress testing a MMO or some shit. I wouldn't though, cause I'm not a spaz.

Or a game you might buy at full price when finished.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 23:13 

It's more honest than when they pretend it's finished, like Skyrim.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 18:57 
Excellent Member

Who the fuck is British Nervoso?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 19:34 
UltraMod

Who the fuck is Nigel?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 19:43 
Bad Girl

Nigel Farage?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 20:11 

Saturnalian wrote:
Nigel Farage?
He probably saw the onion flag & thought he'd fit in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 20:15 
Paws for thought

British Nervoso wrote:
Who the fuck is Nigel?

Nigel Henge?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 0:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh fuck, EVERYTHING MIGHT BE ABOUT TO CHANGE.

Available to pre-order as a beta now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:52 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Abusing physics engines in humourous ways will never get old, I imagine.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 17:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GOG are going to consider doing early access apparently.

:blown:

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]