Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 287  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:13 
Awesome
Yes

MrChris wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Cavey wrote:
R4's Dead Ringers [..] hilariously [...] bloody funny.

:blown:

I find it quite funny as well, actually :)

- "Here's a pithy description of the current political situation."
- "I wonder what Frank Bruno would make of the current political situation...?"
- "Hello, I'm Frank Bruno. Know what I mean, Harry?"

I haven't once heard a Frank Bruno type thing on there. I think you're thinking of Rory Bremner.

I'm thinking of Jon Culshaw.

He doesn't do that in Dead Ringers. At least not these days.

Maybe it's changed recently.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:15 

When it started back in 2000 or thereabouts, it was fresh, clever, and very very funny. Every time I listen to the new version, I smile but it always feels like everyone's just going through the motions and the magic just isn't there anymore. Still, at least it's not the Now Show.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:16 
Gogmagog

What was the sports one where David Beckham would call up saying he was a special emoyee of the manager so could go to tbe World Cup and Mourhino (who looks a lot like me) would call when between jobs? I loved that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:16 
Prince of Fops

I generally can't be doing with impressionists as the comedy all too often relies on the fact it sounds a bit like somebody, rather than saying anything, you know, funny.

But I have a soft spot for Morgana Wotsit's The Agency. She's ace and it tickles me. I wish she'd tickle me. As Morgana Wotsit, not Danny Dyer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07xpl94

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:18 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
Mourhino (who looks a lot like me)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:18 
Awesome
Yes

MaliA wrote:
What was the sports one where David Beckham would call up saying he was a special emoyee of the manager so could go to tbe World Cup and Mourhino (who looks a lot like me) would call when between jobs? I loved that.

Alistair McGowan?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:21 
Gogmagog

Mr Russell wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Alistair McGowan?

Look Away Now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:22 
Awesome
Yes

MaliA wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Alistair McGowan?

Look Away Now

How will I know when I can look back? Will you PM me?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:34 

Mr Russell wrote:
Perhaps I'm being a tad harsh, but when impressionists have to use the impression to NAME the person they're doing an impression of it just sounds crap.

I feel the same way about music artists that have to say their name at the start of their songs, presumably because everything sounds so similar these days that you can't tell the difference without it.

Jason DeRulo and Pitbull are the primary offenders, but also that "Rockabye" song by Clean Bandit is a particularly good example of this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:40 

Don't make a point of listening to it but Dead Ringers can be alright sometimes. Not sure why but I tend to only like hearing impressions of people that I actually like, that's the only time I really find them funny for some reason.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 14:07 

I like to keep half an eye on Scottish domestic politics, albeit mainly out of a sense of disbelief and a need to be entertained at regular intervals. I'm a high maintenance kinda guy.

One prominent figure on the blogosphere is an extremely clever chap called Kevin Hague; he's that rare sort who will absolutely source and re-source, analyse and calculate the basis of a claim before asserting it (you know, the kind of bloke who posts in dozens of graphs and analyses; think Doc G on steriods).

http://chokkablog.blogspot.co.uk/

Looking at Experian, I note that he holds multiple directorships and his principal company has a Grade AAAAA credit rating in the many hundreds ofthousands of pounds, he's a seriously successful, self-starter entrepreneurial type and, despite supporting Labour (albeit not Corbyn, obv.), I like the cut of his jib. A lot.

He seems to spend much of his time tirelessly disproving the seemingly endless stream of Gnat Drivel; that reeking torrent of half-truths, mis-truths and cherry-picked, quoted out of context and/or outdated propaganda - and that's just the SNP... he seems to possess super-human levels of gumption and patience, that someone such as I can only marvel at. I would've given up months ago; the principal (indeed pretty much only) riposte, from armchair-dwelling, TV remote control-toting detractors, seems to be a clarion call: 'YOON LOL' and/or 'YOUR A DOGFOOD SALESMAN' which, as rebuttals go, all in the face of such immaculately and meticulously sourced and reasoned analyses, do rather leave something to be desired. Like I said, if it were me I would be long gone by now, because there's only so much stupid I can bear.

Anyway, he did post this today, though, which struck me as particularly poignant and by no means limited to his particular sphere. It's really rather awesome.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 14:23 

I've just finished listening to a quite fascinating book. Matthew Syeds "Black Box Thinking". It sounds like it might be full of loads of airy-fairy management speak but it's far from it. It's how failure is what drives learning and it's filled with interesting examples from healthcare to aviation, sports and business.

But anyway the bit that struck a chord from reading that quote is that the tendency towards cognitive dissonance, which is what that quote there is essentially about, is not really associated with stupidity. Indeed it is often highly intelligent people who are far more susceptible. Although they often don't realise it their intelligence only makes them far more adept at spinning the evidence to fit with whichever of their preconceived notions they find threatened.

You should definitely check that book out, I really do think you would find it fascinating.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 14:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Perhaps I'm being a tad harsh, but when impressionists have to use the impression to NAME the person they're doing an impression of it just sounds crap.

I feel the same way about music artists that have to say their name at the start of their songs, presumably because everything sounds so similar these days that you can't tell the difference without it.

If you extend that to Scatman John you and I are going to throw down.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 14:29 

Fucking footballers too with their names on their bloody SHIRTS ffs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 14:29 

Thanks Mark, I just ordered it on Amazon for £3.85 delivered! :)
I certainly don't think I am immune from the syndrome you describe btw, albeit it is a feature of intelligence, as opposed to slavish, bovine stupidity (even bigotry, where applicable), to question oneself and one's core beliefs and assertions constantly, and most especially in the light of newly presented arguments and/or evidence. (Ironically, it's probably the very people who do think they're immune who are precisely the ones we need to be worrying most about)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 14:34 
INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:
I've just finished listening to a quite fascinating book. Matthew Syeds "Black Box Thinking". It sounds like it might be full of loads of airy-fairy management speak but it's far from it. It's how failure is what drives learning and it's filled with interesting examples from healthcare to aviation, sports and business.

But anyway the bit that struck a chord from reading that quote is that the tendency towards cognitive dissonance, which is what that quote there is essentially about, is not really associated with stupidity. Indeed it is often highly intelligent people who are far more susceptible. Although they often don't realise it their intelligence only makes them far more adept at spinning the evidence to fit with whichever of their preconceived notions they find threatened.

You should definitely check that book out, I really do think you would find it fascinating.

OOh, I have a signed copy of that book. I had a great chat with him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 14:41 

Cavey wrote:
Thanks Mark, I just ordered it on Amazon for £3.85 delivered! :)
I certainly don't think I am immune from the syndrome you describe btw. (Ironically, it's probably the people who do think they're immune who are precisely the ones we need to be worrying most about)
I hope you enjoy it, I've definitely taken some things from it. Some of the cases he uses to make the various points make really interesting reading in themselves. In healthcare I can certainly recognise the various initiatives that have been designed to enact exactly the sort of cultural change that he is advocating and they are having an impact. But I can also see where they have run headlong into the age old hierarchies and the many other considerations that hamper these changes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 14:45 

MrChris wrote:
markg wrote:

OOh, I have a signed copy of that book. I had a great chat with him.

I imagine he's an interesting guy. Although having listened to it in audiobook format if I ever met him then his voice would be wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 15:01 

In other brief news about the UK economy, both the FTSE100 and FTSE250 continue to steam ahead to reach dizzying new, never before achieved heights, which is obviously a great vote of confidence in UK plc. Post-Brexit unemployment is still falling too, to only ~4.7%, less than 1-in-20.

As a complete aside (and something I wasn't expecting), the number of first time buyers is now at its highest level since pre-crash 2007, and has been rising for the last 5 years!

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 15:05 

Grim... wrote:
If you extend that to Scatman John you and I are going to throw down.

I only know of one of his songs, but does that not start off with "I'm a Scatman" as part of the lyrics?

That doesn't count, as it's obviously supposed to be part of the song.

I object to the ones where they just state their name at the start like they're being questioned by police.

Gogmagog

Cavey wrote:
In other brief news about the UK economy, both the FTSE100 and FTSE250 continue to steam ahead to reach dizzying new, never before achieved heights, which is obviously a great vote of confidence in UK plc. Post-Brexit unemployment is still falling too, to only ~4.7%, less than 1-in-20.

As a complete aside (and something I wasn't expecting), the number of first time buyers is now at its highest level since pre-crash 2007, and has been rising for the last 5 years!

Aren't most FTSE companies profits in dollars, though, and, as the pound weakens against the dollar, they get more profits so share price rises? Or something like that i heard on R4

SupaMod
Est. 1978

The average age for first-time buyers is at an all time high of 30, which somewhat fills me with dread for the Grimlet moving out.

The average deposit for first time buyers is the highest it's ever been, too - £32k. How the fuck can anyone afford that?!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 15:10 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
The average age for first-time buyers is at an all time high of 30, which somewhat fills me with dread for the Grimlet moving out.

The average deposit for first time buyers is the highest it's ever been, too - £32k. How the fuck can anyone afford that?!

Their parents release some of the equity in their houses, since their value has generally gone up by about 500% since purchase.

Almost everyone I know who has been a first time buyer has had at least some assistance of that type, especially more recently.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 15:12 
UltraMod

And it's millennials who are entitled, apparently.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 15:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Their parents release some of the equity in their houses, since their value has generally gone up by about 500% since purchase.

Yeah, but... What the fuck are we going to do?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 15:14 
Gogmagog

Smart move from an inheritance tax POV, i would have thought.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 15:17 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:

More tax avoidance, what a shame. Don't you want more hospitals and schools?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 15:18 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Money and property rights will become meaningless after the Great Zombie Wars of 2020 - 2032.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 15:19 

Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Yeah, if it hasn't already by then I'm planning to explain that there's no money because I had assumed that all of civilisation would have broken down so there didn't seem to be much point. I just spent it all on toy planes and whatnot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 15:19 
Gogmagog

Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:

It's the government double dipping.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 15:20 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:

No, triple dipping.
Income tax
Stamp duty
Inheritance tax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 15:22 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:

No, triple dipping.
Income tax
Stamp duty
Inheritance tax

Except the buyer effectively pays stamp duty. And what if it's property that was inherited in the first place? No income tax paid on that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 15:22 
UltraMod

Glad I got a bite though. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 15:34 
Gogmagog

It's one of the laws that is I think is wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 15:34 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:

A Beex commune.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 15:45 

devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:

A Beex commune.

Let's see how Sim Beex Brother pans out, huh. :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 15:56 
Sleepyhead

Cavey wrote:
devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:

A Beex commune.

Let's see how Sim Beex Brother pans out, huh. :D

I predict it will end with death.

So a fairly realistic indicator.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 16:18 
Awesome
Yes

First time buying isn't an indicator of when the Grimlet will move out and start renting of course.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 16:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Russell wrote:
First time buying isn't an indicator of when the Grimlet will move out and start renting of course.

SIXTEEN

UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

SIXTEEN

Double it, mate.

SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

SIXTEEN

Double it, mate.

SIXTEEN SIXTEEN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 16:42 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

SIXTEEN

Double it, mate.

SIXTEEN SIXTEEN

I think he means have another kid, but I'm not sure how that would help.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 16:44 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

SIXTEEN

Yeah, Bodger goes in 4416 days.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 16:55 
Awesome
Yes

Bodger the Lodger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 17:03 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:

Been thinking about this some more. Of all the laws in the land that could be perceived as unjust, inheritance tax is the hill you choose to die on. Amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 17:04 
Gogmagog

Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Been thinking about this some more. Of all the laws in the land that could be perceived as unjust, inheritance tax is the hill you choose to die on. Amazing.

Wouldn't go quite that far.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 17:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Learn to read, Myp.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 17:05 
Sleepyhead

Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I know you like that phrase, but your trolling goes too far this time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 17:10 
UltraMod

:shrug:
It's my honest view mate, just calling it as I see it, you're most welcome to differ. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 17:40 

whut?

Dr Lave wrote:

Reply to topic  [ 14350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 287  Next