Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 287  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:40 
UltraMod

The problem is now that most Labour MPs are saying "right, well, we know that immigration is good, but the general public hate it, so we should say that we are going to control it in order to win votes back. Even though they're wrong and stupid."

I just don't think this is going to work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:47 
Gogmagog

Lonewolves wrote:
The problem is now that most Labour MPs are saying "right, well, we know that immigration is good, but the general public hate it, so we should say that we are going to control it in order to win votes back. Even though they're wrong and stupid."

I just don't think this is going to work.

I think it is very hard for The Left to have a discussion about immigration as I suspect it might cause cognitivevdisdonance. Corbyn's recent shift in stance was highlighted on Today and that seems to be a direct result of Brexit. It is a tricky one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:02 

MaliA wrote:
I think it is very hard for The Left to have a discussion about immigration as I suspect it might cause cognitivevdisdonance. Corbyn's recent shift in stance was highlighted on Today and that seems to be a direct result of Brexit. It is a tricky one.

It cuts right to the quick of an uncomfortable division between the middle-class liberals [1] and the working class [2] that has existed in Labour since the party's very beginning. Turbulent waters to navigate. Not that the Conservatives are really any better off, with the split between pro-immigration business conservatives and often anti-immigration social conservatives.

[1] Who's jobs are definitely not threatened by immigration and are in an economic position to benefit from their own freedom of movement
[2] Who believe their jobs are threatened and do not see themselves as gaining from freedom of movement

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:23 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

It cuts right to the quick of an uncomfortable division between the middle-class liberals [1] and the working class [2] that has existed in Labour since the party's very beginning. Turbulent waters to navigate. Not that the Conservatives are really any better off, with the split between pro-immigration business conservatives and often anti-immigration social conservatives.

[1] Who's jobs are definitely not threatened by immigration and are in an economic position to benefit from their own freedom of movement
[2] Who believe their jobs are threatened and do not see themselves as gaining from freedom of movement

Excellently put.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:52 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
the middle-class liberals [1] and the working class [2]

An interesting question I would like to put on the floor is: if you are in [1] (which I suspect we all are), how much truth do you think there is in [2]? Would anyone score it more than 0/10?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:03 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

An interesting question I would like to put on the floor is: if you are in [1] (which I suspect we all are), how much truth do you think there is in [2]? Would anyone score it more than 0/10?

I think the fear is there, for sure. However, based on what I've picked up from bits and bats of overheard conversations around here (a lot of animosity towards asian population) and the like, is there is a certain sense that immigrants (1st, or subsequent generations) are doing well so it must be at the expense of the local population (or selling heroin) and this harbours resentment. Mainly, this stems from seeing them with perceived status symbols like new phones, or new cars and a wonderring of how it can be afforded. It's a "they have this, why don't we?" Thing. And there's the segregation of the communities up here as well, pretty much by postcode, which does not help.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:11 
Isn't that lovely?

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Most of my mum's family are a [2] (so my aunties, uncles and cousins) and from what they moan about it's not just the perceived jobs under threat, it's also operation waiting lists, difficulty seeing a doctor, schools, housing, sensory differences (smells, sights and sounds around town) and things like that being blamed on immigration.

However, from my person experience of living in Ivybridge, I would suggest that most of the people that are against immigration fit in to [1] and there's very little immigration down here any way (probably because wages are so shit in the SW) so I think it's pretty much all ignorance or rumour and hype over someone's friend of a friend who got told they had to leave their flat because a Polish family needed it and stuff like that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:19 
UltraMod

That's not surprising, as anti-immigration sentiment is highest in places where they have the lowest number of immigrants.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The dude who cut down a tree at our place was from Poland, and had been in the country for six years (he told me). His quote was lower than the local long-established companies by some horrific amount - something like £130 instead of £210 - £250.

He did a perfectly good job, so I can't see how he's not taking business from the people that were born here.

Still, that's because he's cheap, not because he's Polish. I guess the question in this case is - is he cheap because he's an immigrant?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:26 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
The dude who cut down a tree at our place was from Poland, and had been in the country for six years (he told me). His quote was lower than the local long-established companies by some horrific amount - something like £130 instead of £210 - £250.

He did a perfectly good job, so I can't see how he's not taking business from the people that were born here.

Still, that's because he's cheap, not because he's Polish. I guess the question in this case is - is he cheap because he's an immigrant?

But he's cheap because he's Polish, is the augment of the idiots.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MrChris wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Why is it an idiotic thing to think?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:38 
Prince of Fops

MaliA wrote:

bits and bats

Is this a West Yorkshire thing? The only person I ever hear say it is my father in law, who's from Halifax.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:40 

MrChris wrote:

Moving thousands of miles and across a significant language barrier is very difficult. Hence, only the most motivated of workers are going to do it. And being a more motivated worker means you are going to be the most willing to go the extra mile: work harder, work longer, charge less. I can easily believe that in unskilled or semi-skilled labour, charging less (and doing a better job) is correlated with being an immigrant.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:54 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MrChris wrote:

Moving thousands of miles and across a significant language barrier is very difficult. Hence, only the most motivated of workers are going to do it. And being a more motivated worker means you are going to be the most willing to go the extra mile: work harder, work longer, charge less. I can easily believe that in unskilled or semi-skilled labour, charging less (and doing a better job) is correlated with being an immigrant.

I agree it probably does correlate, but to then be all like "fecking immigrants, coming over here and being motivated to work hard for less money, BASTARDS" is to sort of misunderstand capitalism. And it' d be these people who are the first to moan about unions, too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:59 
UltraMod

MrChris wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MrChris wrote:

I agree it probably does correlate, but to then be all like "fecking immigrants, coming over here and being motivated to work hard for less money, BASTARDS" is to sort of misunderstand capitalism. And it' d be these people who are the first to moan about unions, too.

I don't think the Doc is saying it's a rational fear. And as has been shown in all the anglosphere recently, pointing out facts and statistics does not work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Does that trigger a race to the bottom, though?

(@MrChris - facts and figures rarely trigger anything)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 13:07 
INFINITE POWAH

Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MrChris wrote:

I don't think the Doc is saying it's a rational fear. And as has been shown in all the anglosphere recently, pointing out facts and statistics does not work.

Yeah, I get that it's not rational - hence my "augment of idiots". comment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 13:09 
UltraMod

MrChris wrote:

So you don't have any irrational fears?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 13:13 
Gogmagog

Findus Fop wrote:
MaliA wrote:

bits and bats

Is this a West Yorkshire thing? The only person I ever hear say it is my father in law, who's from Halifax.

Dunno. I think I picked it up from the customer service girls over in Wakey.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 13:23 
Sleepyhead

The problem with the schools/houses/doctors thing is that immigrants use the same amount of the first two and a lot less of the third (on average), whilst providing a much higher portion of funding via tax per capita (as long as they are legally employed and not cash in hand tax avoiders).

So the problem is 100% of the government (and sometimes council). They know how many people are here, they have a good handle on the trend lines, and they deliberately choose to underfund housing, schooling and the NHS.

But it's much easier to blame immigrants, because they're different and speak funny.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 13:31 
Isn't that lovely?

Curiosity wrote:
The problem with the schools/houses/doctors thing is that immigrants use the same amount of the first two and a lot less of the third (on average), whilst providing a much higher portion of funding via tax per capita (as long as they are legally employed and not cash in hand tax avoiders).

So the problem is 100% of the government (and sometimes council). They know how many people are here, they have a good handle on the trend lines, and they deliberately choose to underfund housing, schooling and the NHS.

But it's much easier to blame immigrants, because they're different and speak funny.

I know this, and I've tried to explain this tosome people, but in my experience they really don't want to hear it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 13:51 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Andy Burnham:

Quote:
]Conference, this party must fully face up to this fact: millions of lifelong Labour supporters voted to leave the EU and - let’s be honest - voted for change on immigration.

We haven’t yet even begun to show to them that we understand why.

I don’t want to hear this party make the patronising argument that people didn’t understand their referendum vote. They understood it very well.

The truth is the EU was working better for some parts of our country than it was for others.

For some of our country’s least affluent areas, it wasn’t working well at all ...

Labour voters in constituencies like mine are not narrow-minded, nor xenophobic, as some would say.

They are warm and giving. Their parents and grandparents welcomed thousands of Ukrainians and Poles to Leigh after the Second World War.

And today they continue to welcome refugees from all over the world. They have no problem with people coming here to work.

But they do have a problem with people taking them for granted and with unlimited, unfunded, unskilled migration which damages their own living standards.

And they have an even bigger problem with an out-of-touch elite who don’t seem to care about it.

If Labour now argues for the status quo, it will look like we have abandoned them too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 14:02 

Quote:
The truth is the EU was working better for some parts of our country than it was for others.
This is interesting to me. The way I see it, on some level most people aren't quite conscious of, a lot of this is about globalisation -- the free movement of labour and capital. I don't think it's contentious to suggest the benefits of globalisation are not evenly distributed across the current-day UK (citation: widening wage inequality, stagnant or falling living standards in working and middle classes.) And as immigration -- the inward flow of labour -- is for many most visible part of this package deal, it's very easy to scapegoat for the problems that come with the rest.

If you read "immigration" for "EU" in Burnham's quote, it sounds terrible. But if you read "globalisation" then it's a very reasonable thing to say.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 14:03 

Lonewolves wrote:

It's not rational for people to worry about being undercut by 50%? As in this example:

Grim... wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 14:04 

MrChris wrote:

Indeed, it's very easy to make the arch-capitalist case for free movement of labour and capital, as you've demonstrated. But Labour won't win any favours with the working class or the trade unions that way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 14:12 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

It's not rational for people to worry about being undercut by 50%?

And how many people who are anti-immigration are directly affected by something like this example, considering the highest proportion of anti-immigration sentiment exists in areas where levels of immigrants is lowest?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... rants.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 14:17 

Lonewolves wrote:
And how many people who are anti-immigration are directly affected by something like this example
You didn't answer my question. And to answer yours, I would say "more than none", which is sufficient to prove my point.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 14:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

It's not rational for people to worry about being undercut by 50%?

And how many people who are anti-immigration are directly affected by something like this example, considering the highest proportion of anti-immigration sentiment exists in areas where levels of immigrants is lowest?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... rants.html

Why must they be directly affected by immigration? I'm not directly affected by the maternity ward of Bedford hospital shutting down*, but I still don't want it to because it affects some of the people who live here.

* And I really, really don't plan to be in the future

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 14:30 

I wonder if people are about the same everywhere but immigrants don't tend to move to places where there is no work and nothing going on but the people in those areas think "we've got fuck all as it is" and so the prospect of immigration worries them, but in the wealthier areas people tend to be less concerned about their job security and so less fearful of more folk moving in? Not sure I've explained that very well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 14:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fuck, I welcome them, they save me money.

But in the same way I welcome Tesco for doing the same thing, but I doubt the local butcher does.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 14:39 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

markg wrote:
I wonder if people are about the same everywhere but immigrants don't tend to move to places where there is no work and nothing going on but the people in those areas think "we've got fuck all as it is" and so the prospect of immigration worries them, but in the wealthier areas people tend to be less concerned about their job security and so less fearful of more folk moving in? Not sure I've explained that very well.

I think you're absolutely right, and I think that's where the media-led fear comes in. People legitimately think that any minute their small Yorkshire village will have a 40% migrant influx because that's exactly what they're being told will happen on a daily basis.

Now in examples like Grim...'s, you've been able to find people who'll do a given contract job for half the price of the market rate for decades. I'm not seeing that materially affect the market.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 14:49 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I see Grim... is planning on moving house within the next 8 months.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 14:57 
Gogmagog

Armley, Leeds (sorta) might or might not be a tinderbox of inmigration riots.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 15:14 
Sleepyhead

One thing to note is that, as with the housing/doctors thing, a lot of the problems laid at the door of the EU, immigrants and globalisation, are things that the government simply has no desire to tackle. The government could not give less of a shit about widening inequality, as their drive for Grammar Schools and their treatment of the NHS shows.

So you can blame it on globalisation and be right, but it's something that the government should really be fighting against, and they simply aren't.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 15:26 
INFINITE POWAH

Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:

So you don't have any irrational fears?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 15:29 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MrChris wrote:

Indeed, it's very easy to make the arch-capitalist case for free movement of labour and capital, as you've demonstrated.

I'm not saying it's necessarily correct, mind. but it's the cognitive dissonance that seems to go with this grrrr immigrants stuff that irritates me.
Quote:
But Labour won't win any favours with the working class or the trade unions that way.

No, absolutely they won't. But then they're not going to win many favours with their current approach either. And they won't win any favours by trying to explain the net benefits of migration and the difference between macro and micro effects and why the former matters more than the latter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 17:14 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Curiosity wrote:
One thing to note is that, as with the housing/doctors thing, a lot of the problems laid at the door of the EU, immigrants and globalisation, are things that the government simply has no desire to tackle. The government could not give less of a shit about widening inequality, as their drive for Grammar Schools and their treatment of the NHS shows.

So you can blame it on globalisation and be right, but it's something that the government should really be fighting against, and they simply aren't.

Well quite. Immigration leads to an increased tax take, which should lead to increased NHS and education funding. The immigrants aren't to blame for the bit of that equation that's not happening.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 17:18 
Prince of Fops

MaliA wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
MaliA wrote:

bits and bats

Dunno. I think I picked it up from the customer service girls over in Wakey.

pick up anything else?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 17:23 
INFINITE POWAH

Cras wrote:
Well quite. Immigration leads to an increased tax take

Does it? That presupposes immigration increases the net number of available jobs, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 17:27 
Sleepyhead

MrChris wrote:
Cras wrote:
Well quite. Immigration leads to an increased tax take

Does it? That presupposes immigration increases the net number of available jobs, doesn't it?

If it doesn't, then the people complaining are entirely correct about immigration being bad, then.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 17:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Except that they're also bad because they're dole scroungers.

The unemployment rate isn't increasing in line with the immigration rate so I'm fairly comfortable with the prior assertion.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 19:05 
INFINITE POWAH

It's more likely that immigration doesn't increase the available jobs, but there are a lot of lazy arse dole scroungers and a relatively static unmet need in the labour market that's being met by immigrants. So yes, you're probably right about the tax take.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 21:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MrChris wrote:
there are a lot of lazy arse dole scroungers

And that belief in the media right there is just as wrong as thinking the immigrants are taking all the jobs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:01 
INFINITE POWAH

I'm not sure that's true. The immigrants wouldn't be meeting an unmet need if there aren't a sizeable number of people who can't be arsed to work. Not remotely everyone who is unemployed is a lazy dole scrounger obviously, but they're not all noble job seekers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 23:56 
Excellent Member

MrChris wrote:
Not remotely everyone who is unemployed is a lazy dole scrounger obviously, but they're not all noble job seekers.

I'm not unemployed, but "self-employed" with (currently) an income of ooh...about £0 per annum (although I plan on changing that figure in the nearish future). I had a goodish job for 4 years before being made redundant and then a great job for 16 years, but went a bit mad with stress over everything and voluntarily left last year. I still feel guilty about it even now. I don't know why, I've been back since and the whole place hasn't fallen apart without me, but I have this guilt thing yada yada yada.

The point I'm trying to make (and probably failing) is that I've never claimed any kind of benefits during my period of inactivity, although I could have - and still could do if I wanted to - because I'd feel guilty about doing so. I'm lucky that I live cheaply and had saved quite a bit of money to see me through the year and a bit since I stopped earning. There's about another 500,000 like me out there doing something similar (i.e. self-employed but earning so little that there's no tax take). It's a nice half million off the unemployment figures at a stroke, costing the state nothing, but it doesn't really tell the true story of "record employment levels" that I constantly hear from the government.

Old computer stuff: http://toolongdintread.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... wrote.html ; http://toolongdintread.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... m-fun.html ; http://toolongdintread.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... art-1.html ; http://toolongdintread.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... art-2.html ; http://toolongdintread.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... art-3.html , etc. Unrelated: http://toolongdintread.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... koren.html ; latest: http://toolongdintread.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 0:38 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That's interesting. Is there a minimum amount you need to earn to count as 'employed', or if you report any earnings to HMRC at all, that's it you're counted?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 0:49 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
That's interesting. Is there a minimum amount you need to earn to count as 'employed', or if you report any earnings to HMRC at all, that's it you're counted?

You have to report all earnings, but there's no income tax up to - I think - you earn £10,000.

Old computer stuff: http://toolongdintread.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... wrote.html ; http://toolongdintread.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... m-fun.html ; http://toolongdintread.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... art-1.html ; http://toolongdintread.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... art-2.html ; http://toolongdintread.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... art-3.html , etc. Unrelated: http://toolongdintread.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... koren.html ; latest: http://toolongdintread.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:09 
Decapodian

Cras wrote:

Anyone on an 8 hour minimum wage contract is seen as employed for the purposes of statistics, just the same as you, me or Doc G.

There's a lot of under employed people out there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:50 
INFINITE POWAH

There was something on More or Less a little while ago about that; there are loads of people massaged out of the unemployment figures. I think I linked to it in this thread in an argument with Cavey on this. Cameron and Osborne's boasts on that score were always somewhat hollow.

Things are always a bit more complicated than anyone wants to pretend.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 14:10 

Farage returns.

The Beeb's story is worth it for this:

Quote:
Asked about speculation that Welsh UKIP leader Neil Hamilton could be installed as interim leader by the party's national executive committee, Mr Farage said: "Really? Well we'll have to see about that won't we.
"I do not see any prospect of that horror story coming to pass," he said, adding that Mr Hamilton "doesn't do our public image a whole host of good".

Reply to topic  [ 14350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 287  Next