Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 287  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 14:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MrChris wrote:
Why would a woman bother to go on and downvote 5th Gear after their boyfriend made them sit through it once? I suspect they wouldn't, but obviously can't prove that. Whereas men like numbers and scoring and top trumps and complaining so are more likely to go onto IMDB and downvote some shit their other half made them watch. I would suspect that it's that which skews the data, rather than systematic misogynistic voting.

I really don't think that's the case. Rotten Tomatoes had to turn off user voting for Ghostbusters because they were deluged with scores of low-rated scores for a film that clearly none of the people scoring it had ever watched. There is undeniably a massive group of internet neckbeards out there targetting things that have a female focus.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 14:57 

Why is it that when it comes to mobilising mobs the Internet seems best of all at mobilising mobs of total, unredeemable shitheads. I sometimes think that it has failed to live up to my expectations and that the world was better off without it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 14:58 
INFINITE POWAH

Cras wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Why would a woman bother to go on and downvote 5th Gear after their boyfriend made them sit through it once? I suspect they wouldn't, but obviously can't prove that. Whereas men like numbers and scoring and top trumps and complaining so are more likely to go onto IMDB and downvote some shit their other half made them watch. I would suspect that it's that which skews the data, rather than systematic misogynistic voting.

I really don't think that's the case. Rotten Tomatoes had to turn off user voting for Ghostbusters because they were deluged with scores of low-rated scores for a film that clearly none of the people scoring it had ever watched. There is undeniably a massive group of internet neckbeards out there targetting things that have a female focus.

You really think they're going back and downvoting SATC years after it stopped? Really? Does anyone have that much spare time?!

The Ghostbusters example is a good one, but making a completely baseless gut feel guess I would guess that behaviour was fairly limited to that film - I'm not convinced there's a groundswell of neckbeards going out and downvoting all the female TV programmes and films just for shits. The world can't be that full of twats, can it?

And in any event, every single downvote of SATC was entirely correct and justified.

It would be interesting if Curio's article had some idea of the general timescales for the negative voting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 15:02 
Master of dodgy spelling....

MrChris wrote:
Cras wrote:
MrChris wrote:

You really think they're going back and downvoting SATC years after it stopped? Really?

The Ghostbusters exampleis a good one, but I would guess it was limited to that film - I'm not convinced there's a groundswell of neckbeards going out and downvoting all the female TV programmes and films just for shits. The world can't be that full of twats, can it?

And in any event, every single downvote of SATC was entirely correct and justified.

It would be interesting if Curio's article had some idea of the general timescales for the negative voting.

if you want to make your eyes bleed, go on IMDB and look at Ghostbusters...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 15:04 
INFINITE POWAH

KovacsC wrote:

I'm aware of the Ghostbusters issue, yes. I'm just not convinced that all the negative reviews of "female stuff" on IMDB is motivated by the same shitty motives. Curuio's article just seemed to be trying to manufacture a gender war out of something that has a reasonable plausible and less misogyny-based explanation. I'm happy to be proven entirely incorrect as per usual though, obviously, but at the moment it's all conjecture based on some arguably dodgy assumptions of male motivations.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 15:10 
Comfortably Dumb

MrChris wrote:
You really think they're going back and downvoting SATC years after it stopped? Really? Does anyone have that much spare time?!

I was surprised to see Match of the Day on the list of programmes for blokes. Obviously it's going to appeal to men, but the thought had never crossed my mind to see if it had an IMDB entry, let alone to actually bother rating it. So yes, people have too much spare time. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 15:41 
Caution Live Bear.

Talking of the new Ghostbusters, this is the fall out from when The Angry Video Game Nerd, decided not to review the new Ghostbusters, due to his love of the original.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 15:46 
Prince of Fops

markg wrote:
Why is it that when it comes to mobilising mobs the Internet seems best of all at mobilising mobs of total, unredeemable shitheads. I sometimes think that it has failed to live up to my expectations and that the world was better off without it.

You have my axe.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 15:52 
INFINITE POWAH

devilman wrote:
MrChris wrote:

I was surprised to see Match of the Day on the list of programmes for blokes. Obviously it's going to appeal to men, but the thought had never crossed my mind to see if it had an IMDB entry, let alone to actually bother rating it. So yes, people have too much spare time. :)

Heh :)

5th Gear too! Jaysus. And it scored so highly. Bonkers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 16:00 

Bear or Bust wrote:
Talking of the new Ghostbusters, this is the fall out from when The Angry Video Game Nerd, decided not to review the new Ghostbusters, due to his love of the original.

This site appears to be written by the kind of dickheads who use "SJW" and "cuck" as slurs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 16:02 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bear or Bust wrote:

This site appears to be written by the kind of dickheads who use "SJW" and "cuck" as slurs.

I was just thinking that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 16:03 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bear or Bust wrote:

Stop being so butthurt, beta cucklord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 16:09 
Sleepyhead

MrChris wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

I'm aware of the Ghostbusters issue, yes. I'm just not convinced that all the negative reviews of "female stuff" on IMDB is motivated by the same shitty motives. Curuio's article just seemed to be trying to manufacture a gender war out of something that has a reasonable plausible and less misogyny-based explanation. I'm happy to be proven entirely incorrect as per usual though, obviously, but at the moment it's all conjecture based on some arguably dodgy assumptions of male motivations.

It was more statistical than anything else, and it stripped out shows that were rated by both men and women.

It's statistically true that of shows that were rated more often by women, the scores were driven down by a minority vote (of men) giving it a much lower score. The reverse, for shows rated predominantly by men, was not true (see the list at the end, the male one is about ten times as long).

The reasons for it are up for debate, but the effect is clearly there.

What isn't there, Mr Chris, is 95 quid in my bank account :DD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 16:21 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Curiosity wrote:

It's horrible having to wait for something you've been promised, isn't it? :hat:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 16:22 
Sleepyhead

TheVision wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

It's horrible having to wait for something you've been promised, isn't it? :hat:

I'm saving it for the cottage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 16:23 
Gogmagog

TheVision wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

I watched The Holiday so i know.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 16:28 

I don't think i have seen the holiday

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 16:34 
INFINITE POWAH

KovacsC wrote:

You should watch it, it's great.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 16:35 
INFINITE POWAH

Curiosity wrote:
It was more statistical than anything else, and it stripped out shows that were rated by both men and women.

It's statistically true that of shows that were rated more often by women, the scores were driven down by a minority vote (of men) giving it a much lower score. The reverse, for shows rated predominantly by men, was not true (see the list at the end, the male one is about ten times as long).

The reasons for it are up for debate, but the effect is clearly there.

Well yes - I wasn't debating the effect, merely the assumption of cause. But this is dull now :)

Quote:

95?!?! I thought it was 30?

;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 16:36 

MrChris wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

Is this you being wrong again?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 16:44 
INFINITE POWAH

KovacsC wrote:
MrChris wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

Davpaz liked it too, so no. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 16:59 
Paws for thought

MrChris wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
MrChris wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

Davpaz liked it too, so no. :)

You appear to have misspelled "yes"

(I haven't seen it, but if something is described s worse than brushstrokes Jones Diary, I don't wanna)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:25 
UltraMod

Being black in Britain is like 'living in a different world' says equality commission

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:43 

I'd be genuinely interested to know how some of those headline figures would look if you ignored race and concentrated on the wealth of people's parents. I'm not trying to dismiss the notion that there is a huge problem with racial inequality or that a POC born to wealthy parents won't face all sorts of discrimination but I can't help wondering if a large part of those headline figures could be attributed to a lack of class mobility rather than racial inequality per se. And that a failure to face up to that issue would only further increase disharmony.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:33 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
I'd be genuinely interested to know how some of those headline figures would look if you ignored race and concentrated on the wealth of people's parents. I'm not trying to dismiss the notion that there is a huge problem with racial inequality or that a POC born to wealthy parents won't face all sorts of discrimination but I can't help wondering if a large part of those headline figures could be attributed to a lack of class mobility rather than racial inequality per se. And that a failure to face up to that issue would only further increase disharmony.

Of course you can have privileged PoC (according to wealth, upbringing, education etc) and disadvantaged white people (white working class etc), but all other things being equal, those who are BAME (black asian minority ethnic) are worse off than white people with regards to education, salary and more likely to be stopped and searched/arrested/killed by police.

It's worth pointing out that this was published in the Telegraph, not exactly a bastion of the Black Lives Matter campaign.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:42 

You're not listening to me. My question was that if all other things were indeed equal then what would those figures in that report look like? How much less do graduates from poor backgrounds earn regardless of race? How many judges and police chiefs are from poor backgrounds? Is it race or a lack of class mobility which is the main cause of the figures presented there?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:49 
Awesome
Yes

Don't forget to exclude Uncle Phil et al from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:14 
Gogmagog

Lonewolves wrote:

Hang on, he's a £500k a year partner in a massive law firm that does government work. And white.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:33 

It looks to be a very comprehensive report. Might peruse it later.

The summary of key stats is very interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:03 

The commission also recently published research on attitudes to prejudice across the UK, including survey data and results of experiments such as how many passers-by would assist someone. Plenty of fodder for thoughts as the nights draw in.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 17:29 

The Economist: "America’s housing system was at the centre of the last crisis. It has still not been properly reformed". How foolish. We all know it was Labour, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 18:47 
Excellent Member

Quote:
really don't think that's the case. Rotten Tomatoes had to turn off user voting for Ghostbusters because they were deluged with scores of low-rated scores for a film that clearly none of the people scoring it had ever watched. There is undeniably a massive group of internet neckbeards out there targetting things that have a female focus.

Is the film any good? Looked at a trailer today and it looks worth a watch. RT give it 73% so guess things have calmed down?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 18:55 

asfish wrote:
73%

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 17:09 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Fucking hell.

Oh look, he's divorced and his wife has custody of the kids. That's a shocker.
sensing opportunity, i signed a 38degrees petition to call for the resignation the fat cunt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:13 
Gogmagog

malia wrote:

There's also a leader backed up by a group not averse to strong arm tactics which is implicitly condoned.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -of-ethics

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:35 
Gogmagog

At about 7.15 this morning, Corbyn's Batman was on R4 talking about "giving power back to the people via more referendums" and things like that. It seems that the big issues are worthy of such public opinion, but when pressed, it seems things like the reintroduction of capital punishment wouldn't be as that "isn't a council issue", so scaling it back to council issues like "banning a burqa like some councils inFrance" would also be excluded as it would be discriminatory. So, the will of the people is fine if it is in line then.

He also struggled when asked why all experienced labour figures want Corbyn out with the exception of MaccyD, and he said Diane Abbott doesn't and then he listed the shadow cabinet and tried to unsuccessfully gloss over the lack of experience.

Once again showing the lack of substance in Corbyn's thinking.

All in all, terrible once again. I'd take Nicky Fucking Morgan as leader of Labour right now.

Come back cavey!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:53 
Hello Hello Hello

MaliA wrote:
Come back cavey!

I think DocG made one spiteful, pointless dig too many for that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:09 

MaliA wrote:
At about 7.15 this morning, Corbyn's Batman was on R4 talking about "giving power back to the people via more referendums" and things like that.

It was a painful one to listen to. He fell into most of the traps that Robinson laid for him, all of which were easily avoidable with preparation.

I'm all for constitutional overhaul, but it's a very hard sell to a voting public worried about jobs, health, and schools.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:23 
Unpossible!

DavPaz wrote:
Mods, can you add a "hide thread" button?

If this was a catalyst, then I'm sorry. Not aimed at Cavey, but rather despair at how people treat each other in this and other political threads.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:09 
UltraMod

Hearthly wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Come back cavey!

It wasn't DocG. More someone who likes to remain anonymous.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:15 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Cras wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Fucking hell.

Oh look, he's divorced and his wife has custody of the kids. That's a shocker.
sensing opportunity, i signed a 38degrees petition to call for the resignation the fat cunt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p043bkyg

From about 1 hour 45mins.

From an email i received:

Quote:

Good news - Philip Davies did, eventually, show up for his interview with BBC Radio Leeds this afternoon, and presenter Gayle Lofthouse gave him a bit of a grilling about his views on sexism and feminism.

You can listen to the interview by clicking the link below and skipping to about 1 hour and 45 minutes in.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p043bkyg

If you'd rather not listen to it in full, here is a summary of the points he made:

That he is in favour of gender equality, but thinks that feminists only want equality when it suits them.
That he is not against feminism, although he had to be asked twice and was quick to point out that "not all women are feminists".
That he would be willing to have a debate with us "any time, anywhere".
That the idea of him resigning because he is unable to support women is "ridiculous".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:53 
Hello Hello Hello

Lonewolves wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Come back cavey!

I saw that post and yes, it was very unpleasant, however Cavey's final post on BEEX to date is a response to Doc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 13:36 

Lonewolves wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Come back cavey!

Have you ever considered a career as a spy, Myp?

'I have planted the 'mossive bamb' on the bridge that is near Westminster'.

It'll be like the Enigma code. They'll still be trying to crack it years after they've made several movies about you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 18:25 
UltraMod

Mimi wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Come back cavey!

Have you ever considered a career as a spy, Myp?

'I have planted the 'mossive bamb' on the bridge that is near Westminster'.

It'll be like the Enigma code. They'll still be trying to crack it years after they've made several movies about you.

I liked the Remain bit especially

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 13:44 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
House prices on the up between 4%-6%. A bigger deposit is needed. Basically, about another £6k.

Last night, whilst watching Robot Wars, I applied for a few jobs. I had a couple of call backs today and it all seemed pretty positive. Pay was 25% up plus bonus, advancement and so on. Feeling chipper, I booted up rightmove and realised Uxbridge isn't near Stafford. :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 13:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It is not very near Stafford, no. It's quite near the music quiz, mind.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 14:18 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
It is not very near Stafford, no. It's quite near the music quiz, mind.

I texted MrsA to suggest I live in London in the week and return at weekends....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 14:20 
Paws for thought

And she responded with a suggestion to make it all 7 days?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 14:25 
Gogmagog

It went down as well as you might imagine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 14:28 
Gogmagog

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/ ... 4911625216

Oh. My.

Reply to topic  [ 14340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 287  Next