Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 287  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:08 

Cras wrote:
PWRs still use steam to generate power, just not within the reactor itself. That's my understanding at least, I know you've actually worked in the industry :)

Oh! Hahah. That's what you get for talking to a nuke tech and not the actual powerplant engineers. (At least where I worked, there was a fairly clear line between the two, defined by whether the stuff you worked with could kill you via radiation or merely by exploding superhot gas.)

You're right, of course. I had totally forgotten that PWRs use steam in the secondary circuit that actually generates the power. As far as I can tell from a quick Google, Vanguard class subs are no different, although it's always a bit fuzzy because (a) seekrit military stuff and (b) sub power plants have weird constraints that civil nuclear does not.

People have had enough of experts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:50 
UltraMod

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:53 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

How are we going to take back control without the ability to murder millions of people?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:04 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:
PWRs still use steam to generate power, just not within the reactor itself. That's my understanding at least, I know you've actually worked in the industry :)

Oh! Hahah. That's what you get for talking to a nuke tech and not the actual powerplant engineers. (At least where I worked, there was a fairly clear line between the two, defined by whether the stuff you worked with could kill you via radiation or merely by exploding superhot gas.)

You're right, of course. I had totally forgotten that PWRs use steam in the secondary circuit that actually generates the power. As far as I can tell from a quick Google, Vanguard class subs are no different, although it's always a bit fuzzy because (a) seekrit military stuff and (b) sub power plants have weird constraints that civil nuclear does not.

I have been on one :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 13:04 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

KovacsC wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Yup.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 14:21 

Bobbyaro wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Yup.

I am not an expert on subs, they would not let me near anything important.. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 14:48 

Generational income inequality bullshit, in two charts:

1) 'Boomers were 50% more likely to own their own home by age 30 than "generation rent" millenials:

2) Planned tax/benefit policies will take £1.7 billion from millennials & give £1.2 billion to baby boomers in the next 4 years:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 14:49 

Bobbyaro wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Yup.

You've "been on" an expert? Like, sexually?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 14:52 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Yup.

You've "been on" an expert? Like, sexually?

Yup

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 15:37 

Someone! (Kern?) If I wanted to read one book for and one book against neoliberalism as a socio-economic construct, what books would I read? Piketty in the latter case, maybe? I'm not sure about the former though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 15:44 

I only did the economics bit of my degree for two terms as an undergrad, and that was a very long time ago now!

Off the top of my head, Tim Worstall's blog sometimes has interesting angles on things from a market/evil neoliberal perspective but he can get irritating after a while.

I'd recommend going back to the start and reading Adam Smith's 'Wealth of Nations'. As with all religious texts, what's in it is very different to what people think.

Somewhere I have a book on the economics of slavery in the old South but that's probably not what you were after...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 15:52 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Worstall is pretty awful now. His comment monkeys are vile and he plays to them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 15:59 

Seems SOAS puts suggested introductory reading on their course pages.

EG: Key Thinkers and Theories in Development

Might be worth having a rummage. Obviously, the answers to everything can be found in Max Weber's 'Politics as a Vocation'*

*according to a Marxist politics tutor I had

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 16:59 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I've often wondered about slavery in the old South - it seems to me that slaves were expensive, and unskilled "free" labour was cheap, and available seasonally. Was buying ( and housing and feeding ) a slave actually cheaper than hiring some Irish immigrant?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 17:12 

Squirt wrote:
I've often wondered about slavery in the old South - it seems to me that slaves were expensive, and unskilled "free" labour was cheap, and available seasonally. Was buying ( and housing and feeding ) a slave actually cheaper than hiring some Irish immigrant?

Often they were security for debts, so even if you wanted to get rid of them (and many states made it very difficult to do this, especially after Nat Turner), you would be unable to do so.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 17:12 

MaliA wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Jesus wept. 31% of people who voted Labour in the last General Election said they thought May would be a better Prime Minister than Corbyn.

Across all respondees, 58% thought May would be better; 19% thought Corbyn would be better.

http://www.comres.co.uk/wp-content/uplo ... tables.pdf

I voted Labour in GE, I think May would be better than Corbyn. He has to go.

Yes. Sooner the better. Although I am concerned that he may have killed centre-left politics in the UK for a generation.*

* or UK outside Scotland, if you consider the SNP to be centre-left.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 17:20 

Kern wrote:
Squirt wrote:

Often they were security for debts, so even if you wanted to get rid of them (and many states made it very difficult to do this, especially after Nat Turner), you would be unable to do so.

And to answer your question...

Banning the slave trade in 1808 removed external competition (and, by the way, I feel bad using these terms) raising prices and making people like Nathan Bedford Forrest very wealthy by breeding and trading stock.

I guess it would have been very difficult to find immigrants willing to do so laborious, tiring, painful work at an affordable wage, and the culture of the time was very much that white people, even poor scum like the Irish, could never demean themselves with such work. Besides, being a slaveowner was taken as a status symbol and the natural position for the 'superior' race.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 17:43 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

It does feel gross, but I guess from an economical point of view, slaves were basically a commodity then, like cattle or horses.

I assume i the non-slave states broke-ass Irish scum did do the labouring work, although a bit more reading suggests cotton was a bit of a special case, with it being so labour intensive - there'd be no point using slaves to harvest wheat in Ohio, but it was worth it working some poor slave to death picking cotton.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 21:04 
Gogmagog

Jaime Reed, Labour MP just now

Quote:
I will be supporting my party’s policy tonight. But for the first time I think ever we have witnessed the leader of the Labour party stand up at the despatch box of this House and argue against the policy of the party that he leads. This is unprecedented. Moreover this reckless, juvenile, narcissistic irresponsibility makes me fearful of the party that I love. The sheer stupidity of this approach should be dragged out into the light and seen for what it is, because not only is renewal Labour party policy, it is the settled will of the country, and every parliamentary decision relating to it will have been taken by 2020.

Going well, then.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 21:13 

The Nuclear deterrent... is it supposed to just discourage ANYONE from attacking us, or is it just meant to discourage others with nuclear weapons launching them at us?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 21:17 
Sleepyhead

We should just outsource the deterrent to the Yanks. If I'm getting vaporised I don't really give a shit if we get revenge, but Americans love that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 21:17 
Gogmagog

Cookie197 wrote:
The Nuclear deterrent... is it supposed to just discourage ANYONE from attacking us, or is it just meant to discourage others with nuclear weapons launching them at us?

"The most extreme threats" it says so i think nukes, biological warfare, nukes and Jonny Halliday.

Quote:

That this House supports the government’s assessment in the 2015 National Security Strategy and Strategic Defence and Security Review that the UK’s independent minimum credible nuclear deterrent, based on a continuous at sea deterrence posture, will remain essential to the UK’s security today as it has for over 60 years, and for as long as the global security situation demands, to deter the most extreme threats to the UK’s national security and way of life and that of the UK’s allies; supports the decision to take the necessary steps required to maintain the current posture by replacing the current Vanguard Class submarines with four Successor submarines; recognises the importance of this programme to the UK’s defence industrial base and in supporting thousands of highly skilled engineering jobs; notes that the government will continue to provide annual reports to parliament on the programme; recognises that the UK remains committed to reducing its overall nuclear weapon stockpile by the mid-2020s; and supports the government’s commitment to continue work towards a safer and more stable world, pressing for key steps towards multilateral disarmament.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 21:19 
Gogmagog

Curiosity wrote:
We should just outsource the deterrent to the Yanks. If I'm getting vaporised I don't really give a shit if we get revenge, but Americans love that.

I'd avenge you, mate.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 21:20 
Gogmagog

Curiosity wrote:

PM wrote:
Let me turn to the issue of whether we could simply rely on other nuclear armed allies like America and France to provide our deterrent. The first question is, how would America and France react if we suddenly announced that we were abandoning our nuclear capabilities but still expecting them to put their citizens at risk to protect us in a nuclear crisis? That is hardly standing shoulder to shoulder with our allies.

Mrs PM also said that she'd nuke 100,000 men women and children because saying wouldn't it sorta defeat the point of having it really if the threat wasn't real.

She's been listening to Cras. Which is terrifying.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 21:38 

MaliA wrote:
Cookie197 wrote:

"The most extreme threats" it says so i think nukes, biological warfare, nukes and Jonny Halliday.

Eh, that makes sense.

Also, isn't the Trident system already developed by the Americans anyway? Lockheed Martin, I think?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 21:42 
Gogmagog

Cookie197 wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Cookie197 wrote:

Eh, that makes sense.

Also, isn't the Trident system already developed by the Americans anyway? Lockheed Martin, I think?

No idea but i'd probably nuke Santa Ponsa in a fit of pique

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 21:45 

Yes it is..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanguard-class_submarine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 23:13 
Sleepyhead

MaliA wrote:
Jaime Reed, Labour MP just now

Quote:
I will be supporting my party’s policy tonight. But for the first time I think ever we have witnessed the leader of the Labour party stand up at the despatch box of this House and argue against the policy of the party that he leads. This is unprecedented. Moreover this reckless, juvenile, narcissistic irresponsibility makes me fearful of the party that I love. The sheer stupidity of this approach should be dragged out into the light and seen for what it is, because not only is renewal Labour party policy, it is the settled will of the country, and every parliamentary decision relating to it will have been taken by 2020.

Going well, then.

Playing Devil's Advocate, not all of the Labour Party MPs will be voting pro-Trident. I'd be interested to see what percentage do that. Corbyn clearly believes in serving the interests of Labour Party members, and I reckon that is probably to vote against renewal. Whether he's right or wrong to do that is another matter.

Then, you also have Labour Party MPs saying horrible shit like this, which shows you why Corbyn became popular anyway:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 23:22 

Curiosity wrote:

Playing Devil's Advocate, not all of the Labour Party MPs will be voting pro-Trident. I'd be interested to see what percentage do that.

@faisalislam: Confirmed Labour MPs Trident vote:
140 (61%) For (in line Conf policy)
47 Against (vs 54 SNP) incl. Corbyn
40 Absent
1 Formal Abstention

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 23:27 
Sleepyhead

Seems about where you'd expect it to be.

I really can't see a way forward for Labour from here. If Corbyn survives the leadership contest then WTF do the MPs do? Resign en masse? He can't control them and they clearly don't believe in his policies.

If Corbyn goes then so does at least a third of their membership, along with the majority of grass roots, activists, and at least some of the unions.

I'm really not sure why someone isn't making a massive conciliatory play here. Are they waiting for the car crash first, and hoping to sweep in as the hero?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:05 

Skimming the debate. The Speaker's interjections are always fun:

Quote:
Order. Mr Shelbrooke, I want you to aspire to the apogee of statesmanship, but shrieking from a sedentary position, despite your magnificent suit, is not the way to achieve it. Calm yourself, man; I am trying to help you, even if you don’t know it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:31 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Mhairi Black On trident

https://twitter.com/MhairiBlack/status/ ... 3859840000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:56 

zaphod79 wrote:
Mhairi Black On trident

#contribution-16071850000079" class="postlink">Hansard link

Mhairi Black wrote:
If these weapons are not a security necessity and they are not necessary to save jobs, that prompts the question: what are they for? The fact of the matter is that this is all really about the UK maintaining a permanent place on the UN Security Council. As the hon. Member for Tonbridge and Malling (Tom Tugendhat), who is unfortunately not in his seat, made clear, these weapons serve no purpose other than satisfying the ego of the British establishment. This is about us putting our stamp on a world from which we are isolating ourselves more and more.

I'd argue that being a permanent member of the UN Security Council is worth preserving and means we're not isolating ourselves. Not sure if it require nuclear weapons to do that but it probably helps.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 23:23 

I agree, it is not like they will every get used.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 23:34 
Paws for thought

It's like a bees sting.

A bee rather hopes, wth its great intellect and use of abstract thought, that she wouldn't have to use it.

And everyone else hopes that some nutter wasp doesn't get one, with no reason to fear using it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:06 

Kern wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
Mhairi Black On trident

#contribution-16071850000079" class="postlink">Hansard link

Mhairi Black wrote:
If these weapons are not a security necessity and they are not necessary to save jobs, that prompts the question: what are they for? The fact of the matter is that this is all really about the UK maintaining a permanent place on the UN Security Council. As the hon. Member for Tonbridge and Malling (Tom Tugendhat), who is unfortunately not in his seat, made clear, these weapons serve no purpose other than satisfying the ego of the British establishment. This is about us putting our stamp on a world from which we are isolating ourselves more and more.

I'd argue that being a permanent member of the UN Security Council is worth preserving and means we're not isolating ourselves. Not sure if it require nuclear weapons to do that but it probably helps.

Why? So our woefully shite politicians can get to make terrible decisions that affect the entire world? What a stench on the world scene we are. An arms dealer that has isolated itself from Europe but insists that it deserves to be heard because it has nukes. What a fucking embarrassment.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:55 

Yes they are big white elephants, which will never be used. Pointless, but needed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

KovacsC wrote:
needed.

Well that's the debate, isn't it. Do we need a nuclear arsenal if the US have one 1000 times the size? What's the point?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:58 

Cras wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
needed.

Well that's the debate, isn't it. Do we need a nuclear arsenal if the US have one 1000 times the size? What's the point?

The US is increasingly shifting its focus to the Pacific and Indian Oceans, and there's increasing talk, especially from the Trump camp, of making Europeans less reliant on Uncle Sam for their security. If we didn't have them, we probably wouldn't be seeking them, but as we do I don't feel comfortable with the only nuclear armed states in Europe being France and Russia.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:10 
Unpossible!

I'd be more than happy for the UK to withdraw from the world stage for a few decades and get just a little bit inward focused. Maybe take ourselves off a few hit-lists. I've never really understood this obsession with trying to play with the big boys.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
I've never really understood this obsession with trying to play with the big boys.

Lies.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:18 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
I've never really understood this obsession with trying to play with the big boys.

Lies.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 16:01 

this is going round facebook. I am missing something, but I don't get the point.

Don't forget July the 23rd is the day we switch off the BBC TV & Radio. It's pay back day for all the news blackouts as well as the bias reporting surrounding the referendum. It's our day to boycott them. It's time they knew who keeps them.

Imagine 17.000.000 million of us refusing to pay them their £145 license fee.

Remember folks, the best fights are won when people stand together.

Will you join the rest of us? Please like and share.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 16:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I do think use of 'bias' as an adjective is my current greatest pedantry bugbear.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 16:05 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
I do think use of 'bias' as an adjective is my current greatest pedantry bugbear.

You're just bias against bad grammar.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 16:28 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

The good thing about that is that it doesn't state any particular political point. Everyone can join in! Leaver, remainer, Labour, Conservative, you can all get angry at the BBC together!

Also, everyone knows the best fights are won when Jason Statham, armed only with an iron bar, is up against like 6 guys with machine guns.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 18:22 

Kern wrote:
I'm eagerly awaiting the 'Private Eye' parody. Will she be the headmistress, or will they try something different?

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Called it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 18:47 
Comfortably Dumb

Squirt wrote:
The good thing about that is that it doesn't state any particular political point. Everyone can join in! Leaver, remainer, Labour, Conservative, you can all get angry at the BBC together!

It's certainly an odd message. Having nosed around Facebook for it, it seems to be being shared by various Brexit folk, or just plain old racists, often accompanied by this charming image...

Attachment:
bbc.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 18:54 

Why does nobody ever complain that the Beeb is biased towards them?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 18:59 
Hello Hello Hello

They spelt paedophile wrong.

A peadophile doesn't sound too bad really.

Attachment:
pea2.JPG

Reply to topic  [ 14350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 287  Next