Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 287  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 17:43 
UltraMod

Cavey wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
So if a trans person in your office said "please don't call me abnormal", you're saying you wouldn't say this to them?

Yes, I absolutely am saying I wouldn't say it to them - and there's no way I would say it to anyone in the first place (whether in my office or anywhere else for that matter), so wouldn't need to be told.

This is NOT a contradiction. My original point was that, talking is general, generic, hypothetical terms (NOT to a specific person/individual), it is a fact to say this isn't the norm on a purely dispassionate population per capita basis, and (to me) it's stupid to say otherwise, BUT that doesn't mean I'd be comfortable actually saying it to any individual, and nor do I remotely think they are "abnormal" in any sense that I fear you mean?

So you wouldn't say it to them out of politeness and courtesy because you know it would offend them. Right, we got there in the end I guess.

I'm not sure what your point really is. You seem to be talking about hypothetical situations that don't exist.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 17:47 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lonewolves wrote:
Yes, this is correct.

*glare*

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 17:48 
INFINITE POWAH

You have the official seal of approval Cras! Print it out and put it on the wall!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 17:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
I'm not sure what your point really is. You seem to be talking about hypothetical situations that don't exist.

I think the situation is discussing it here on Beex.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 17:52 

Yup, we got there in the beginning as well Myp, I'd love to know where I said I would willfully and purposefully want to upset anyone, least of all potentially vulnerable and oft-persecuted minority groups. If anyone should be getting hot under the collar here it's me TBH, and there's a danger of that happening so I'm out of this discussion, save to say people should actually read what others have said, and in the correct context of having known where they're almost certainly coming from in all of this.

The original discussion was about denying the opinions of groups being heard by other groups such as at NUS debates and suchlike, but as per we've gone from that to people thinking that I, as an individual, would call trans people "abnormal" to their faces etc., just for pointing our a global, generic truth, which apparently you can't draw any distinction between the former and latter. It's ironic that this very discussion has turned into the very thing that I describe and despise (and as per Markg's example): a clear example of someone (me) being hauled up despite it being extremely obvious that no bad intent was intended. Are people so desperate to find heinous fault where there is none? Makes me sad as well as angry.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 17:54 
UltraMod

MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
I am talking about the western world here, of course.

Oh, of course. Silly of me not to realise :)

But I would disagree even within that subset of the world that "old white men" are the majority of the intolerant. Anecdotally (yes, != data, but then your position on this seems based on no more than a received wisdom, which is basically the same thing), most of the homophobic people I've met have been in their 20s and 30s, and of both genders.

I have read studies that say that the majority of homophobic people are 65+. I might be able to dig out polls later.

MrChris wrote:
I would note however that both Christianity and Islam have as part of them a holy book that says (or is commonly interpreted as saying) that being gay is a sin - so at the very least "abnormal". And a number of countries with religious-derived legal systems have the death penalty for homosexuality. But yes, it's all down to old white men. ;)

Yep, but traditional conservative opposition to equal marriage is dropping as people become more socially liberal, and they are very much Christian. We know this but we don't know so much about Islam and Muslims because we don't humanise them in the same way.

And who makes the laws of the land? Old men usually. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 17:57 
UltraMod

Cavey wrote:
The original discussion was about denying the opinions of groups being heard by other groups such as at NUS debates and suchlike, but as per we've gone from that to people thinking that I, as an individual, would call trans people "abnormal" to their faces etc., just for pointing our a global, generic truth, which apparently you can't draw any distinction between the former and latter.

When I mean 'we', I mean we. :)

We had moved on a lot since then and we were discussing the use of 'cis' to mean 'not trans' (and as cis is the opposite of trans in Latin, it's a fair use imo). You hadn't made it clear you were talking about university speakers, so I apologise for jumping on you about a different subject.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 18:00 
INFINITE POWAH

Lonewolves wrote:
I have read studies that say that the majority of homophobic people are 65+. I might be able to dig out polls later.

Please do - I suspect it's a higher rate of incidence in old people but it's far from uncommon in the younger. Certainly not to the extent to describe any one other than old white men as "statistically insignificant" in this respect.

Quote:
MrChris wrote:
I would note however that both Christianity and Islam have as part of them a holy book that says (or is commonly interpreted as saying) that being gay is a sin - so at the very least "abnormal". And a number of countries with religious-derived legal systems have the death penalty for homosexuality. But yes, it's all down to old white men. ;)

Yep, but traditional conservative opposition to equal marriage is dropping as people become more socially liberal, and they are very much Christian.

Well, yes, but again, the traditional conservative approach is not limited to old white men. Particularly in the US.

Quote:
we don't know so much about Islam and Muslims because we don't humanise them in the same way.

Who's this "we", paleface?

Quote:
And who makes the laws of the land? Old men usually. :)

Not white ones in most of the countries I was referring to, of course. :)

Yes, old white men can be intolerant. But to in essence describe them as the sum total of the problem of intolerance, even when you then move the goalposts to refer only to the west, is patently unsupportable.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 18:10 
Gogmagog

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_righ ... _territory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 18:14 
UltraMod

Yes, a lot of African countries have poor LGBT rights, because they're Christian, because white people went there as missionaries to dig them wells in return for taking bibles etc.

So still white people's fault.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 18:18 
INFINITE POWAH

Because black people have no agency? Right, gotcha.

And presumably the white people created the religions in those middle eastern countries with very poor LGBT rights as well?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 18:21 
Bad Girl

And let's just forget about the historic spread of Islam in Africa.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 18:21 
UltraMod

MrChris wrote:

And presumably the white people created the religions in those middle eastern countries with very poor LGBT rights as well?

Yes that's exactly what I think. Why not tell me about how I think about other things too, Chris? :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 18:26 
INFINITE POWAH

Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:

Yes that's exactly what I think. Why not tell me about how I think about other things too, Chris? :roll:

In what way am I telling you what you think? I'm (rather snarkily, admittedly, but then you are coming across as a massively sanctimonious pain in the bum at the moment, and that's the sort of response you consequently engender) pointing out the logical conclusion of your point about Africa and explaining the massive hole in your argument that it's all the whites' fault when it comes to the middle east. Your commitment to blaming whitey for everything is laudable, but I'm puzzled why you can't see that it's a bit, well, wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 18:42 
UltraMod

MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:

In what way am I telling you what you think? I'm (rather snarkily, admittedly, but then you are coming across as a massively sanctimonious pain in the bum at the moment, and that's the sort of response you consequently engender) pointing out the logical conclusion of your point about Africa and explaining the massive hole in your argument that it's all the whites' fault when it comes to the middle east. Your commitment to blaming whitey for everything is laudable, but I'm puzzled why you can't see that it's a bit, well, wrong.

I blame white people (and men in particular) for the historical and ongoing oppression of women and minorities in western (white) countries, which is what I refer to when I talk about these issues. Other countries and regions around the world have different problems and I don't place the blame entirely on us for that (Although the British Empire did own 75% of the world at one point, so it's fair to say we've definitely caused more than our fair share). I've already stated is an issue with fundamentalists in general, but you don't have to read if you don't want to.

Also lol @ 'massively sanctimonious pain in the bum' coming from you. I must have learned from the best. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 18:53 
INFINITE POWAH

Lonewolves wrote:
I blame white people (and men in particular) for the historical and ongoing oppression of women and minorities in western (white) countries, which is what I refer to when I talk about these issues. Other countries and regions around the world have different problems and I don't place the blame entirely on us for that (Although the British Empire did own 75% of the world at one point, so it's fair to say we've definitely caused more than our fair share).

Well, that's all fair enough, and I can't say I disagree with it. It's just not quite what you said to begin with. If you recall, I took issue with the "it's all old white men and any other group is statistically insignificant" (I paraphrase, of course, so I apologise for the inaccurate use of quote marks). Which I maintain is incorrect and you've not said anything that backs up that original assertion. It's ok to admit you're wrong, you know. I have had practice. :)

Quote:
I've already stated is an issue with fundamentalists in general, but you don't have to read if you don't want to.

Why thank you! You're too kind.

But I did read that, and my response explained (although without referring specifically to those very words, apologies for not making it abundantly clear) why that was irrelevant to the point I was making (i.e. that it's not just fundamentalists when it comes to certain religions, because the founding texts have that intolerance built in. And I'm fairly sure I recall various attitude surveys of British Muslims showing fairly widespread intolerance of homosexuality).

Quote:
Also lol @ 'massively sanctimonious pain in the bum' coming from you. I must have learned from the best. :)

Aha. Goodness me. "I know you are but what am I". :) but I'm sorry, the sanctimonious point was an uncalled for comment and I apologise. Although it was true ;)

But I'm sure this is getting tedious for everyone involved now (and I have to go to a school governors' meeting), so I'll let you get the last word in and we can leave it there. :)

Fundamentally we don't disagree about the main underlying stuff, we're doing what beex does best and arguing about the peripheral :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 19:09 
Bad Girl

Myp there, shaking his fist at history.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:09 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Fistory

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:21 
Awesome
Yes

Lonewolves wrote:
but you don't have to read if you don't want to.

See, I like you, but I'm bored of reading about how I'm privileged and oppressing people I simply don't care about. It's 99% of your content at the minute and wish the old you was back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:37 
Hello Hello Hello

I can do something about framerates, if that'll help.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:

:DD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:54 
Unpossible!

Hearthly wrote:

Superb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:56 
INFINITE POWAH

We need to bring back POTW just for Chopley.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:00 
Gogmagog

PLOT TWIST

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:02 
INFINITE POWAH

"The student has argued that he isn’t a beneficiary of Rhodes money and that he simply taking back “tiny fractions” of what he looted during his time in Africa. "

Wow. That's some logic there.

As a person of Irish descent there must be some toffs around I can rob legitimately then.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:05 
Gogmagog

I hope I get you in secret santa at xmas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 16:13 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
NEC to take control of candidate selection in Bradford

Quote:
A Party source said various allegations had been made, including the "bullying" of members to vote a certain way and other individuals paying for several membership cards.

Bradford West seems to be a lively place for Labour.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ouncillors

I'm guessing there is a link here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 16:40 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Cras wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
I think it's only in the last couple of weeks that unleaded has joined diesel under a quid in London.

Unleaded's been marginally cheaper than diesel most places for ages, too. Do you even car, bro?

Diesel prices dipped under unleaded prices in September last year, for about two days.

But otherwise it's been more expensive for decades.

Diesel is cheaper again!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:55 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

wasn't where I filled up yesterday, 99.9 for u/l 107.9 for diesel.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:05 
Sleepyhead

Bobbyaro wrote:
wasn't where I filled up yesterday, 99.9 for u/l 107.9 for diesel.

97.9 for diesel round our way, unless they had priced it up wrong!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 22:41 
UltraMod

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 23:10 
ugvm'er at heart...

I hope they fix the frame rate issues on XCOM 2 soon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:13 

More reports on the news today about ongoing build-ups in Eastern Europe and the Baltic. Probably necessary to restrain Mr Putin, but troubling nonetheless. Disappointing that Labour are tearing themselves apart over defence at the moment so are not capable of providing credible scrutiny.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:34 
Sleepyhead

Trump and Sanders win their respective primaries.

Not unexpected, but Trump is just getting more annoyed by the minute.

I'm not always a fan of the Huffington Post, but I was amused by their headlines openly calling him a racist, xenophobic demagogue.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
Trump is just getting more annoyed by the minute

Annoyed or annoying?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:46 

You know things are desperate in the Republican party when candidates like Cruz or Rubino are considered 'moderate' in comparision to Trump.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:49 

That's my main worry with him, he'll let some other right wing fucknut in through the back door. I've read some articles that the party would even prefer Trump to Cruz as they view him as someone who could more easily be manipulated.

It really worries me to be honest, the world's in too fragile a state to have some hawkish lunatic in the White House.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:49 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Trump is just getting more annoyed by the minute

Annoyed or annoying?

Both?

I meant annoying though.

I don't think he'll win the Presidency, but if he did I would expect either the end of the world, or him to quit in short order when he finds out that he can't just tell Mexico to build a big wall.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:12 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
More reports on the news today about ongoing build-ups in Eastern Europe and the Baltic. Probably necessary to restrain Mr Putin, but troubling nonetheless. Disappointing that Labour are tearing themselves apart over defence at the moment so are not capable of providing credible scrutiny.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... s-presence

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 16:46 

Anyone catch that interview on R4 Today at around 8:30, they had some guy in defence of the government's position re. junior doctors' striking, saying in his day in the 70s and 80s junior doctors routinely worked 70-90 hours per week in order to gain the required experience/on the job training in the first couple of years especially (as part of what he described as a "10 year training cycle")

His opposite number - a junior doctor herself from what I could tell - immediately retorted with something along the lines of "... thank goodness we're not in the terrible old days of working 70-90 hours" or whatever/somesuch, because of some 2003 Act or other brought in by our old pals Labour. Which may have been fair comment but for the fact that in the next breath she claimed to be working 145 hour weeks...? 145 HOURS? That's 21 hours a day, 7 days a week fact-fans, leaving just THREE hours per day (including weekends) for eating, sleeping, washing, getting dressed and undressed, travelling to and from work, shopping for food, taking a dump etc.

I daresay someone should tell her that, y'know, 145 hours is more than 70-90 hours. Also, does anyone actually *believe* these absurd claims? 145 hours per week? Bollocks!!

It'll be 390 hours per week at this rate. Man, I would've loved to have challenged these claims but as per usual the useless, supine BBC interviewers were either too innumerate, too thick or most likely too sympathetic to their "right on" strike to say owt.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 16:50 

Yeah doctors, fucking arseholes! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 16:59 

markg wrote:
Yeah doctors, fucking arseholes! :roll:

...Which I didn't say of course, but heaven forbid anyone - least of all me - having the temerity to call out anyone who works in the NHS and must therefore be beyond all reproach and any criticism according to the impartial St Markg.

145 hours/week is in my opinion just not credible, especially when just going on about how terrible 70-90 hours was/is just seconds before. Let's at least have some accuracy in the claims and justifications aired to millions of (TV licence-paying) people listening to this interview - if that's not *too* much to ask that is.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 17:19 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Cavey wrote:
145 hours/week is in my opinion just not credible, especially when just going on about how terrible 70-90 hours was/is just seconds before. Let's at least have some accuracy in the claims and justifications aired to millions of (TV licence-paying) people listening to this interview - if that's not *too* much to ask that is.

I did not catch the interview in question however two possible scenarios that would explain the answer

1) She is including some time she is being paid to be on call , as such she can sleep (but would need to get up and deal with an issue if one occurred)
2) She's a junior doctor , working really long hours and the lack of sleep is affecting her basic math skills , and she actually means another number but was too tired / flustered / anxious to get the correct number out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 17:45 
Bad Girl

Cavey wrote:
Anyone catch that interview on R4 Today at around 8:30, they had some guy in defence of the government's position re. junior doctors' striking, saying in his day in the 70s and 80s junior doctors routinely worked 70-90 hours per week in order to gain the required experience/on the job training in the first couple of years especially (as part of what he described as a "10 year training cycle")

His opposite number - a junior doctor herself from what I could tell - immediately retorted with something along the lines of "... thank goodness we're not in the terrible old days of working 70-90 hours" or whatever/somesuch, because of some 2003 Act or other brought in by our old pals Labour. Which may have been fair comment but for the fact that in the next breath she claimed to be working 145 hour weeks...? 145 HOURS? That's 21 hours a day, 7 days a week fact-fans, leaving just THREE hours per day (including weekends) for eating, sleeping, washing, getting dressed and undressed, travelling to and from work, shopping for food, taking a dump etc.

I daresay someone should tell her that, y'know, 145 hours is more than 70-90 hours. Also, does anyone actually *believe* these absurd claims? 145 hours per week? Bollocks!!

It'll be 390 hours per week at this rate. Man, I would've loved to have challenged these claims but as per usual the useless, supine BBC interviewers were either too innumerate, too thick or most likely too sympathetic to their "right on" strike to say owt.

I was listening intently to this debate on R4 with my ears fully open.

She said she worked 145 hours over 12 days.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 17:50 

Amazing scenes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 17:56 

Saturnalian wrote:
Cavey wrote:

I was listening intently to this debate on R4 with my ears fully open.

She said she worked 145 hours over 12 days.

Arse! Sorry, you're quite right, just listened back at my desk (as opposed to half listening in car). My apologies. :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 17:57 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Amazing scenes.

Wot, no gif Doc? Your standards are slipping. :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 17:57 

You know, it says a lot that when faced with something that was (to my reading) clearly either a misunderstanding or the result of a flustered interviewer, Cavey comes out with:

Cavey wrote:
...terrible old days of working 70-90 hours ... our old pals Labour. ... does anyone actually *believe* these absurd claims? 145 hours per week? Bollocks!! ... Man, I would've loved to have challenged these claims but as per usual the useless, supine BBC interviewers were either too innumerate, too thick or most likely too sympathetic to their "right on" strike to say owt.

I don't understand how one doesn't question oneself for a moment. I don't understand the reflex to immediately bash the Labour party and the BBC in the same breath, as opposed to using that breath to reflect on how maybe the obvious nonsense you think you just heard wasn't what you just heard. I don't understand people who are so incautiously accepting of confirmation bias, basically.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 18:01 

Oh man, and like you've never been wrong about stuff? Stop being so bloody precious, at least I admit I made a mistake and an arse of myself & acknowledged error; it's an easy enough mistake to make whilst listening/driving.

"How can I live with myself" etc. etc. :roll: /violins

(Edit: Even then, 145 hours over 12 days is 85 hours per week pro-rata, which is well inside the 70-90 hour/week range quoted by her opposite number? So if nothing's changed on that score since the '70s/'80s according to her - very difficult to see how much further we've traveled since the bad old days before 2003 or whatever).

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 18:22 
Excellent Painter

Can we clarify the whole Junior Doctor term? Am I correct in thinking its every Doctor below the rank of consultant?

Reply to topic  [ 14350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 287  Next