Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210 ... 287  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:57 
Unpossible!

Worse, it sounds like an Adam Sandler film

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:56 

Cavey wrote:
Interesting to see shares soaring and the pound steady upon the start of Brexit negotiations also.

"Steady"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That could be a fluctuating dollar that causes that, though. MOAR GRAFZ are needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:10 

I'm not sure why the markets would react to the start of Brexit negotiations anyway, it was something that has been scheduled to happen for months.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:12 
EvilTrousers

Grim... wrote:
That could be a fluctuating dollar that causes that, though. MOAR GRAFZ are needed.

Against the Euro;

Attachment:
steady.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:15 
EvilTrousers

markg wrote:
I'm not sure why the markets would react to the start of Brexit negotiations anyway, it was something that has been scheduled to happen for months.

I think it's the fact that some small measure of economic stability has been predicated on us at least having a slight modicum of skill in negotiation.

Us wandering out of the first meeting having backed the fuck down on just about everything we banged the desk about indicates a government in a weak position.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It looks bad, but that's about half a penny. Is that bad? It doesn't strike me as bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:26 
Gogmagog

Quote:
The sterling ERI has fallen close to 20% from its November 2015 peak. Since then, UK-focused equity prices have fallen by over 2%. In contrast, broader equity price indices such as the FTSE 100 and S&P 500, which more heavily reflect global economic considerations, are almost 20% and 40% higher respectively (in sterling terms). UK 10-year real government bond yields have fallen 115 basis points; by contrast 10-year real government bond yields in the US are down by around 25 basis points only

Said the bank guy, and he went on

Quote:
Markets have already anticipated some of the adjustment. Depending on whether and when any transition arrangement can be agreed, firms on either side of the channel may soon need to activate contingency plans. Before long, we will all begin to find out the extent to which Brexit is a gentle stroll along a smooth path to a land of cake and consumption

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:26 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
It looks bad, but that's about half a penny. Is that bad? It doesn't strike me as bad.

That's the thing isn't it. Look at that same graph over a 2 month period and today might not even be a blip.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:28 
Unpossible!

For example. Here's a month of data
Attachment:
euro.PNG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:29 
Unpossible!

And that entire graph covers 5 cents

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:35 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Cavey wrote:
Trouble is, of course, people (well, most people ;) ) get wiser with age, and tend towards small c Conservativism as they get older. It stands to reason; people see more of life and gather knowledge and experience (plus, they have more to lose, and they'll remember first hand the disastrous outcomes of previous Labour governments directly). So the simplistic idealism of youth is gradually supplanted by a wiser pragmatism. So basically, I don't see the Tories' sensible, intelligent and pragmatic voter base dying off any time soon. Good grief... :D

See, I don't think this is true at all. I don't think people trend conservative as they get older, I think conservative voters are ageing. The big tory voter block is now those people who remember the (disastrous) labour government of the 1970s. You're not seeing gen X start going from Labour to Conservative, it's just not happening. The Conservative party has some real thinking to do about how it takes itself forward. IMO it needs to kick the rancid old hardliners to the curb and form a new, sensibly right of centre pro-business party. Pretending that 2017 is the same as 1980 is killing the party and the country.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:38 
UltraMod

The 25-34 age group saw a massive swing towards Labour since 2015.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 13:01 

Cras wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Trouble is, of course, people (well, most people ;) ) get wiser with age, and tend towards small c Conservativism as they get older. It stands to reason; people see more of life and gather knowledge and experience (plus, they have more to lose, and they'll remember first hand the disastrous outcomes of previous Labour governments directly). So the simplistic idealism of youth is gradually supplanted by a wiser pragmatism. So basically, I don't see the Tories' sensible, intelligent and pragmatic voter base dying off any time soon. Good grief... :D

See, I don't think this is true at all. I don't think people trend conservative as they get older, I think conservative voters are ageing. The big tory voter block is now those people who remember the (disastrous) labour government of the 1970s. You're not seeing gen X start going from Labour to Conservative, it's just not happening. The Conservative party has some real thinking to do about how it takes itself forward. IMO it needs to kick the rancid old hardliners to the curb and form a new, sensibly right of centre pro-business party. Pretending that 2017 is the same as 1980 is killing the party and the country.

I think that whatever they do their Brexit mess is going to cast a long shadow. The younger generation overwhelmingly didn't want it and they will remember this government with about the same level of fondness cavey has for Labour.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 13:20 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Related to the above few posts

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 98386.html

Quote:
Conservative voters dying out at rate of 2% per year, Lord Heseltine warns

‘One thing which is just worth having in mind: 2 per cent of the older part of the electorate die every year - they are 70 per cent Conservative’

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 13:25 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Cras wrote:
You're not seeing gen X start going from Labour to Conservative, it's just not happening. The Conservative party has some real thinking to do about how it takes itself forward. IMO it needs to kick the rancid old hardliners to the curb and form a new, sensibly right of centre pro-business party. Pretending that 2017 is the same as 1980 is killing the party and the country.

I think that statement needs some clarification. You're not seeing Gen X start going from Labour to this Conservative. Referendum aside, Cameron did pretty well out of the Yoot (sufficiently enough in 2015 in any event). If the ref hadn't happened (or, had come in as the correct answer), and Cameron had then called the 2017 election anyway, I've a feeling he would have deliverered the majority that everyone thought May would have now.

The issue is with this Conservative party though. I can't realistically see May or any of the current shitballoons who are tipped for leader (with the notable exception of Ruth Davidson, who can be PM even as an MSP, but this isn't going to happen soon) ever making any form of progress in this area. Maybe, maybe Hammond could if his recent noisiness is a push for the top job, and he could have a reasonable change as a Major-esque candidate, but I can't see him having the desire for doing that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 14:28 

I think Cavey's right on a historical basis, I reckon that previously as people have aged they do tend to become more conservative - I attribute this to them finally getting "sorted" in terms of property, career, kids etc. and not really wanting to give away too much of their hard earned income.

However, the generations that are ageing now are of the ilk that are increasingly unlikely to ever really get much of a foot on the property ladder, or get a decently paid job, or have much in terms of prospects. So they're probably going to stay closer to Labour's ideals.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 14:55 

Cras wrote:
The Conservative party has some real thinking to do about how it takes itself forward. IMO it needs to kick the rancid old hardliners to the curb and form a new, sensibly right of centre pro-business party. Pretending that 2017 is the same as 1980 is killing the party and the country.

E.g. maybe think about not making a deal with the DUP?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 15:19 
Gogmagog

GazChap wrote:
However, the generations that are ageing now are of the ilk that are increasingly unlikely to ever really get much of a foot on the property ladder, or get a decently paid job, or have much in terms of prospects.

In Shoreditch's Box Village there's a ball pit for grown ups. Millennials deserve that future.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 15:24 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
GazChap wrote:
However, the generations that are ageing now are of the ilk that are increasingly unlikely to ever really get much of a foot on the property ladder, or get a decently paid job, or have much in terms of prospects.

In Shoreditch's Box Village there's a ball pit for grown ups. Millennials deserve that future.

And that Flight Club place can get to fuck and all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 15:25 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
GazChap wrote:

And that Flight Club place can get to fuck and all.

Bull in a China shop was ok, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 15:41 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Betfair are currently giving 13/8 on their being another General Election in 2017.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 15:44 

Party like it's 1974!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 15:45 
Gogmagog

Squirt wrote:
Betfair are currently giving 13/8 on their being another General Election in 2017.

I miss the betfair twitter account.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 15:57 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

GazChap wrote:
I think Cavey's right on a historical basis, I reckon that previously as people have aged they do tend to become more conservative - I attribute this to them finally getting "sorted" in terms of property, career, kids etc. and not really wanting to give away too much of their hard earned income.

However, the generations that are ageing now are of the ilk that are increasingly unlikely to ever really get much of a foot on the property ladder, or get a decently paid job, or have much in terms of prospects. So they're probably going to stay closer to Labour's ideals.

Small-c conservative, you're probably right. But I think the idea that people switch from being labour voters to conservative voters somewhere in their thirties is insane.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 16:17 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Small-c conservative, you're probably right. But I think the idea that people switch from being labour voters to conservative voters somewhere in their thirties is insane.

Yes, I think​ people become more pragmatic about what can and cannot be done, and things are viewed through a more self centered lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 16:18 
Isn't that lovely?

Squirt wrote:

Is that from insider knowledge or from just looking on though?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:17 

Brenda normally sounds bored when she reads the speech. I bet today she's going to sound bored and irritated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:46 

Dennis Skinner: 'Get yer skates on - first race is half past two'

Charlie's there too, I see. Must be take-your-son-to-work day.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:47 
Gogmagog

Superb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:48 

The Queen: 'Prince Philip and I look forward to welcoming their Majesties King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain on a state visit in July.'

No other visitors this year?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 13:39 
Hello Hello Hello

I like the way the Queen wore a hat that looks like the European flag.

Attachment:
Screenshot 2017-06-21 at 13.39.22.png

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 14:15 

Let's be positive. Skimming the BBC's list and here's some instant reactions to possibly good things in the speech:

Draft Tenants' Fees Bill - this could actually bring about a good change, but by the time it's gone through consultation and if it ever appears as an actual bill I fear Big Letting will have neutralised all of its provisions.

Draft Domestic Violence and Abuse Bill - a serious issue and will keep an eye on what relevant organisations think of its scope and reach. Still only a draft, however.

High Speed 2 Phase 2A Bill - who doesn't want to get to Crewe that bit quicker?

Space Industry Bill - yay, space!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 14:33 
Sitting balls-back folder

Kern wrote:
High Speed 2 Phase 2A Bill - who doesn't want to get to Crewe that bit quicker?
You've missed the point there - it lets people *get away from* Crewe quicker.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 14:38 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Once again ignoring the most critical part of the Customs Union

Quote:
Customs Bill
The bill will ensure:
the UK has a standalone UK customs regime on exit
flexibility to accommodate future trade agreements with the EU and others
changes can be made to the UK's VAT and excise regimes on exit from the EU, whatever the outcome of negotiations
the government can collect payments of customs duties, administer the customs regime and tackle duty evasion
control over the import and export of goods

Without reciprocal agreements on trading standards for goods, EU exports are dead. Tariffs are small potatoes, standards are everything.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 15:13 
Sitting balls-back folder

Poking a bit of fun at Crewe is one thing but that's just mean.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 16:28 
Gogmagog

Quote:
The DUP’s Jeffrey Donaldson uses a point of order to complain about Lucas calling the DUP “dinosaurs”. He says the DUP’s energy policy represents what people in Northern Ireland want.

John Bercow, the Speaker, says the term “dinosaur” is not unparliamentary. He says dinosaurs survived for very many years.

From graun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 16:38 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I do love Bercow sometimes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 17:23 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Cras wrote:
Once again ignoring the most critical part of the Customs Union

Quote:
Customs Bill
The bill will ensure:
the UK has a standalone UK customs regime on exit
flexibility to accommodate future trade agreements with the EU and others
changes can be made to the UK's VAT and excise regimes on exit from the EU, whatever the outcome of negotiations
the government can collect payments of customs duties, administer the customs regime and tackle duty evasion
control over the import and export of goods

Without reciprocal agreements on trading standards for goods, EU exports are dead. Tariffs are small potatoes, standards are everything.

It's years since I've done this but as I recall the tariff resolves the standards issue by itself. You cant import shit into the EU unless it's on the tariff and for goods subject to standards only those that meet the standards can get through the tariff.

You then have a question as to whether the EU would let the UK institutes certify that the standards are met. However, local certification works for other jurisdictions outside the eu already by reciprocity and audit of samples I believe so that's not insurmountable.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 17:55 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It's not insurmountable, but it needs to be done. The very idea of creating a customs bill that doesn't have as one of its headline points reciprocity of certification is madness.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 18:07 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Cras wrote:
It's not insurmountable, but it needs to be done. The very idea of creating a customs bill that doesn't have as one of its headline points reciprocity of certification is madness.

You can't legislate a principle or a future treaty though. Reciprocity is part of the negotiations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 18:35 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Cras wrote:

You can't legislate a principle or a future treaty though. Reciprocity is part of the negotiations.

Everything listed there under the Customs bill is part of the negotiations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 20:27 
Gogmagog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08tvjfq

25 minutes in for Boris and Eddie. Good lord, what a shitshow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:31 
Excellent Painter

MaliA wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08tvjfq

25 minutes in for Boris and Eddie. Good lord, what a shitshow.

I listened to that this morning. I genuinely don't understand how Boris Johnson has a job. He is a liar and a chancer extraordinaire and everybody must know this by now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:40 

I listened to it this morning (although the 'please sign into radio Iplayer' can go away, please). Complete car crash, and all Boris Johnson's fault. Eddie Mair has long been the best thing on Radio Four. Long may he continue.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Don't forget he agreed to turn over a journalist's details in the knowledge that said journalist was going to get beaten up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:47 
Unpossible!

"Hang on a minute" *shuffling papers*

Good god.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:49 
Hello Hello Hello

Kern wrote:
(although the 'please sign into radio Iplayer' can go away, please).

Despite the initial ballache this is actually very handy once you're signed in across all your various devices, to the extent I'm slightly irritated with myself for not doing it voluntarily a long time ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:51 
EvilTrousers

I was listening to this live while driving home last night and sat in shitty traffic and it made the M6 more than tolerable for once.

After Eddie Mair systematically dismantled him on Andrew Marr's show that time I think Boris may have gone in there looking to bluster his way into a revenge performance but Mair pulled the rug from under his feet from the get go. The Two Ronnies line in the middle of it all and Johnson's flat-footed prevarication in response made the entire thing one of my favourite pieces of radio.

Potential PM. Fuck me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:51 

Hearthly wrote:
Kern wrote:
(although the 'please sign into radio Iplayer' can go away, please).

Despite the initial ballache this is actually very handy once you're signed in across all your various devices, to the extent I'm slightly irritated with myself for not doing it voluntarily a long time ago.

I heard people moan about it on 'Feedback' recently. As usual with that programme the interview with the relevant BBC executive went along the lines of:

Code:
Roger Bolton: People don't like this and think it's awful.
BBC Executive: We think it's fine.
Roger Bolton: Ok then. Now, we sent a listener behind the scenes on 'Farming Today' to find out what makes this programme so compelling.

Reply to topic  [ 14350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210 ... 287  Next