Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 288  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:57 
Sleepyhead

Unfortunately, the media are fucking raking it in because of Trump. Even the Democrat-leaning outlets have all made money hand over fist from ad revenues, so it's in their interests to keep this shit going.

What a world.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:05 

It's why I think the BBC is so desperately important.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:09 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:
And how do you fight that? How do you address a campaign based on outright lies when you can't even correct those lies without being at best ignored, and at worst reviled for it?

I don't know. I suspect you have to play the long game, though. It's already too late to change it for this election. I am sure you don't get anywhere without at least attempting to understand the psychology of the "other side."

I see this said quite a bit, yet I haven't once seen any indication that the psychology of the 'other side' is any less than fully understood. Addressing it is the problem, not understanding it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:04 
EvilTrousers

I realised that it really doesn't matter what the facts are when I saw this;

http://www.forbes.com/sites/startswitha ... 4535328328

i was watching Parks & Rec the other day and they are trying to educate the town that flouride in the water is good for you but the opposition just keep shouting "BUT CHEMICALS" etc and Lesley Knope decries that "All we have are science and facts, we'll never win with just science and facts".

On top of that add the "Well you would say that wouldn't you?" syndrome that David Mitchell describes so well here just emphasises the findings of how we make decisions.

Edit - URL overload I know - sorry. That decision making stuff really makes a lot of sense though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 13:16 

Cras wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:
And how do you fight that? How do you address a campaign based on outright lies when you can't even correct those lies without being at best ignored, and at worst reviled for it?

I don't know. I suspect you have to play the long game, though. It's already too late to change it for this election. I am sure you don't get anywhere without at least attempting to understand the psychology of the "other side."

I see this said quite a bit, yet I haven't once seen any indication that the psychology of the 'other side' is any less than fully understood. Addressing it is the problem, not understanding it.

Here is an example of not understanding at all:

markg wrote:
Yeah, with Brexit you knew that there was an excellent chance that someone who voted leave was at least a bit of a racist fuckwit, whereas anyone who votes for Trump definitely is. So about half of the American electorate are thick, racist scum. I used to wonder how the whole Nazi thing ever could have happened, couldn't quite grasp it because I believed that the massive majority of people were decent. Brexit and now this has shattered that illusion. It doesn't even really matter any more who wins or loses this election because it's not all going to just go away. The Republicans will just field a slightly less insane far-right bastard for the next election and win then.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 13:25 

Oh, do go on, doctor :insincere:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 13:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I don't think that's the case at all. The vast majority are thick and racist. And it's not difficult to work out why. They're being told every single day by the media and by their politicians that they should be afraid. They should be afraid of terrorism. They should be afraid of losing their jobs. They should be afraid of homosexuality causing the collapse of the family unit. They should be afraid of chemicals, and by extension scientists. They should be afraid of intellectuals, and academics. They should be afraid of external cultural influences. They should be afraid of everything that isn't a group or trait they directly identify with.

Thick racists are created, not born - but they're still thick racists.

Sure, you want to reach out to them, that sort of language isn't going to help - but it's becoming evident that no amount of reaching out is doing much to help.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 13:44 
Comfortably Dumb

Cras wrote:
I don't think that's the case at all. The vast majority are thick and racist. And it's not difficult to work out why. They're being told every single day by the media and by their politicians that they should be afraid. They should be afraid of terrorism. They should be afraid of losing their jobs. They should be afraid of homosexuality causing the collapse of the family unit. They should be afraid of chemicals, and by extension scientists. They should be afraid of intellectuals, and academics. They should be afraid of external cultural influences. They should be afraid of everything that isn't a group or trait they directly identify with.

I do with the media could be held more accountable for the things they say. In the BBC's round-up of the newspapers, I saw the Express's story 'Official: We Will Thrive Out Of EU' and went to go looking for the detail behind it. The story itself is here, but what struck me was the front page of the Express site, which I'd never been near before. It's just full of hate and fear (And Cliff Richard).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 14:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Actually, we are born thick and racist. We just learn not to be either of those things.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 14:14 

Born racist? How so?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 14:24 

Mimi wrote:
Born racist? How so?

Base tribal instincts leading to a fear of people who look different?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 14:27 

I don't buy that at all. Kids in playgroups, nursery groups, etc in highly mixed race areas show no tendency to prefer people based on skin colour.

Children become more likely to move towards single race peer groups the older they get, but that is usually culture-based and due to shared experience.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 14:28 

I'm not really sure about that. Kids don't seem to naturally really bother much about the colour of other kids skin any more than they care about the colour of their hair. If they start attributing negative stereotypes to other kids based on race then they probably learned it from somewhere. It happens and most people unlearn it but I don't believe it's innate.

edit: what Mimi said basically.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 14:30 

It's only when children are able to understand and take on the predujudices of their families that they may show an inclination to the same, but that is racism by rote rather than belief.

Actual racist belief comes later still.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 15:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Born racist? How so?

Base tribal instincts leading to a fear of people who look different?

Yup. Buy it or not, it's there.

Of course, all it is is a natural distrust, not a seething hatred because of jobs / perceived wealth / whatever, and it's easily overwritten and ignored with a little time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 15:31 

So why do babies/young infants not prefer people of the same race, if you discount close family members who they'd show preference for through personal familiarity?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 15:40 
Gogmagog

Because babies are little psychopaths who have survival of Number One hardwired in. As they cannot fend for themselves they have to rely on others and it is this behaviour that means they pretend not to care. Their only defence is finding allies and this done by being cute, looking like their fathers, and then being a screaming little shitball when it doesn't look great to get their other mates onside

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 15:41 

Mimi wrote:
So why do babies/young infants not prefer people of the same race, if you discount close family members who they'd show preference for through personal familiarity?
Boys and girls do seem to tend to clump together in those scenarios, though. I think there is a tendency for kids to more readily identify with their own "group" but I think it needs someone else to define the groups for them. So whilst it's unacceptable for nursery staff to promote racial stereotypes they do still seem to promote many of the ones based on gender. So I'd say that there is an inbuilt capacity for racism but am still very much dubious of the notion that racism itself is innate.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 15:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

markg wrote:
So I'd say that there is an inbuilt capacity for racism but am still very much dubious of the notion that racism itself is innate.

Here's some science man talking about it.

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/article ... orn-racist

The dude's book looks interesting as hell. too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 15:55 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
markg wrote:
So I'd say that there is an inbuilt capacity for racism but am still very much dubious of the notion that racism itself is innate.

Here's some science.

That isn't science. It's psychology.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 15:55 

Mimi wrote:

Why does basically every society world-wide, throughout history, exhibit at least some degree of distrust of outsiders, if not outright hatred and racism?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 15:57 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Why does basically every society world-wide, throughout history, exhibit at least some degree of distrust of outsiders, if not outright hatred and racism?

Because foreigns be backward

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 15:58 

Grim... wrote:
markg wrote:

Here's some science man talking about it.

Yeah, so from that page:

Quote:
The first thing to understand is that the “in-group” and “out-group” distinctions that we talked about before, that define “us” and “them,” are highly malleable. Whether it’s race, class, religion, gender, or sexual orientation, research shows that the specific identities that we are prejudiced toward or against can change.
That’s an important finding. A few years ago, research that made headlines seemed to suggest that we are hardwired to be racist. Scientists found that when research subjects were asked to make distinctions between photos of black and white faces, a part of the brain called the amygdala lit up. The amygdala is part of the limbic system, an evolutionary early part of the brain, so the findings seemed to show that biases are a very basic, primitive response. But we’ve since discovered that the amygdala lights up when people are asked to make almost any kind of socially relevant distinction, positive or negative. When research subjects are asked to distinguish between team members and nonmembers, for example, the amygdala lights up. So the current scientific understanding is that we’re hardwired to make distinctions that are helpful in navigating our social world, but not to be racist per se.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 16:19 

MaliA wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Especially the Kernish.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 16:20 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Especially the Kernish.

S'racist that

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 16:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You were a fly pimp and you called that science.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 16:36 
Hibernating Druid

Flyentist.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 16:40 
Best
Board Mother

MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:
markg wrote:

Here's some science.

Says the guy with the red shirt...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 16:41 
Gogmagog

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:
markg wrote:

Here's some science.

Says the guy with the red shirt...

The results need reproduction.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 16:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:
fly pimp

Wait what

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 16:43 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

He used to make fruit flies fuck for a living.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 16:44 
Hibernating Druid

Super Fly Guyentist.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 16:46 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:

14 virgin female flies, 1 male per tube, overnight at 18 celcius.

I got it the wrong way round once jesus christ that must have been carnage.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 16:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:

One of the new Ops girls who started the other week used to do that, too.

Huh.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 16:59 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Cras wrote:

Huh.

YHALLOTHAR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 18:22 

Grim... wrote:
Cras wrote:

Huh.
This description covers something like a third of genetics research, though. It's not exactly uncommon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 18:23 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Cras wrote:

Huh.
This description covers something like a third of genetics research, though. It's not exactly uncommon.

Ops girl did it as a hobby though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 18:25 

That would be a twist ending, indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 19:03 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Cras wrote:

Huh.

Not with the style and panache I husbandryed, though. Don't throw shade on my mad DM skillz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 20:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

She used to paint them. Flies with makeup on were hotter.

I'm not making this up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 21:19 
INFINITE POWAH

God, even flies have internalised the patriarchy. We're so good at this shit! GoTeam Patriarchy!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:23 

Brutal electoral mathematics ahead, says Polly Toynbee:

Quote:
At one conference meeting when a speaker said Labour must win some Tory votes, someone shouted out: “Why? We don’t want Tories!” So I find myself arguing dry psephology against passionate conviction. It’s depressing, but here’s the Fabian Society’s analysis: Labour needs 104 seats in England and Wales and 40% of the vote to win. In the marginals, four out every five of the extra votes must come from those who were Tory last time. Even if the young are energised and turnout soars to Scottish referendum heights, it gets nowhere close. Even if every single Liberal Democrat and Green vote went Labour, that only gives 29 seats. Even if Ukip were crushed, its vote divides equally Labour and Tory. As Labour wins radical votes, it risks losing moderate votes to the Tories: 2% went that way last time. Read the research yourself and groan. It hurts.

In one fraught conversation after another, I try all this on Corbyn believers but to no avail. No compromise, blocked ears, total denial of electoral facts, a post-truth conviction. You can hear this non-meeting of minds everywhere at this conference, a shutter of incomprehension dividing the two sides. “But we can convince them! People will listen!” They do think Corbyn will be the next prime minister, because conviction moves mountains. These are likable people, and I envy their certainty – the way you can envy the religious their delusions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:47 
Gogmagog

Corbyn had a pre recorded interview on Today this morning. It was all really rather vague and hand wavy about the National Investment Bank and Migrant fund. It's all good intentioned, but built on unicorn sweat and goblin tears.

When they say "must win 104 seats", that is 104 more seats? There is a group delusion going on and it is hard to think we are here after the good stuff from 1997 onwards.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:55 

MaliA wrote:
When they say "must win 104 seats", that is 104 more seats? There is a group delusion going on and it is hard to think we are here after the good stuff from 1997 onwards.

It would have to be, right?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:57 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Yeah, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:18 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I did have a head scratch at that when reading her comment piece - it wasn't dreadfully clear and I did think surely she can't be so nuts as to think you can win with 104 seats.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:23 
Gogmagog

MrChris wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I did have a head scratch at that when reading her comment piece - it wasn't dreadfully clear and I did think surely she can't be so nuts as to think you can win with 104 seats.

Heh. Well.

Still, Milne doing a good job getting The Message across.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:28 
Sleepyhead

Yes, 104 seats they do not hold.

Did anyone see Tom Watson? I only read the reviews of his speech, but he did a massive oratory about the positive achievements of the Blair/Brown governments, took the piss out of Corbyn in a sly way, and got a standing ovation.

The wounds don't look like healing any time soon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:31 
Sleepyhead

My view on the above is that any Labour Party that outright rejects everything that Blair did is never going to succeed, or be anything I'm interested in.

Yes, he ended up with a god complex; the Iraq situation was an absolute mess, and his introduction of stealth privatisation was a terrible move, but if you ignore all the positive changes to social mobility, reductions in poverty, NHS improvements and so on, you're insane.

Oh well. At least Cavey will be loving it! :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:32 
Gogmagog

I miss Cavey.

Reply to topic  [ 14352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 288  Next