Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 288  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:41 

To be clear, Tatchell wasn't denied a platform to speak. He had a fellow speaker refuse to speak alongside him, which is a very different thing. That's surely been going on since as long as public speaking has existed and doesn't feel to me like a ridiculous way to express your severe disagreement with someone's position.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:43 
Master of dodgy spelling....

true, but you can hardly put your point across if you are not there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:47 

Also:
Cavey wrote:
It's what I've been saying for years; this ludicrous race to be yet more left-wing, right on, "on message" and PC etc. than the next person is now getting to the stage where clearly it's total nuts and lost its way.
...we both know that somewhere, someone who reads the Daily Mail has used this exact sentence to defend their use of, say, "poofter" or "nigger" or some similar slur. I know you're not on that side of that line. Any maybe we live in a special golden age where the conflict between free expression of ideas and people not using language to hurt others because they're dicks is perfectly in balance. But that seems unlikely, to me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:41 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
To be clear, Tatchell wasn't denied a platform to speak. He had a fellow speaker refuse to speak alongside him, which is a very different thing. That's surely been going on since as long as public speaking has existed and doesn't feel to me like a ridiculous way to express your severe disagreement with someone's position.

Oh come now Doc. As it says in the very piece you've quoted, refusing to appear unless someone else is barred is closing down debate whichever way you slice it.There's not much point turning up to a debate if all your fellow speakers have flounced; it also *is* ridiculous to even refuse to share a platform with a man who has inarguably been a champion and campaigner for these very same minority groups, and has risked life and limb so to do.

Quote:
..we both know that somewhere, someone who reads the Daily Mail has used this exact sentence to defend their use of, say, "poofter" or "nigger" or some similar slur. I know you're not on that side of that line.

Well yeah, I'm not on that side of the line, not by a million miles - and nor is hardly anyone else, least of all Peter Tatchell FFS. That's the point.

Look, you know where I'm coming from in all of this; I'm not trying to piss anyone off here but I make no bones about how utterly ridiculous I find most of this, and I'm sorry but that isn't because I'm some straight white dude who doesn't give a stuff about minorities/minority concerns, nor does it make me a bad person - but simply an utterly bemused and increasingly bewildered member of the human race. I think a lot of these people need to step back from their browsers and re-engage with actual *people*.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:43 

In the end though he did speak at the event. So the story here, unless there was widespread outrage at this outcome, seems to be one person having an extreme reaction to someone else.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

So, public bodies are going to be prevented from considering ethics in their suppliers when awarding contracts for products or services

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 74006.html

I struggle a bit with this. It's very plainly aimed at Israel, and improving relations with a nation that has an extremely dubious human rights record by banning boycotts. This is a bad thing. On the other hand, this legislation would also seem to forbid a strongly religious council from, for example, refusing to contract with a supplier who strongly and publicly supports gay rights. I'm not sure what to think.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:58 

Cavey wrote:
Oh come now Doc. As it says in the very piece you've quoted, refusing to appear unless someone else is barred is closing down debate whichever way you slice it.
Sure, but the difference is: if we're invited to speak, and you speak and I flounce, it's *my* side of the argument that's not presented, most likely to my detriment. If I force you not to speak, it's *your* side that no-one has heard. Those are very different outcomes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 13:08 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Oh come now Doc. As it says in the very piece you've quoted, refusing to appear unless someone else is barred is closing down debate whichever way you slice it.
Sure, but the difference is: if we're invited to speak, and you speak and I flounce, it's *my* side of the argument that's not presented, most likely to my detriment. If I force you not to speak, it's *your* side that no-one has heard. Those are very different outcomes.

Yes, I get that, but what if the person flouncing (on pain of someone not being allowed to speak) is key to the debate, e.g. the Chair or organiser, or what some or all other participants do the same? The debate itself is crippled or doesn't happen at all, so the (desired) end result is the same, it is a de facto barring.

I'm not saying people should be forced to speak at debates or anywhere else against their will, but equally I feel that criticism may well be due and anything that stifles debate is not a good thing in my book at least.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 13:24 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
So, public bodies are going to be prevented from considering ethics in their suppliers when awarding contracts for products or services

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 74006.html

I struggle a bit with this. It's very plainly aimed at Israel, and improving relations with a nation that has an extremely dubious human rights record by banning boycotts. This is a bad thing. On the other hand, this legislation would also seem to forbid a strongly religious council from, for example, refusing to contract with a supplier who strongly and publicly supports gay rights. I'm not sure what to think.

"Does your dad buy Jaffa oranges?"

"Yes"

"He's buying nukes for israel bro, he's a jew"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 13:27 

Cavey wrote:
Yes, I get that, but what if the person flouncing (on pain of someone not being allowed to speak) is key to the debate, e.g. the Chair or organiser, or what some or all other participants do the same? The debate itself is crippled or doesn't happen at all, so the (desired) end result is the same, it is a de facto barring.
Yes, I agree that could be problematic but only if it happened en masse and there is little evidence of that (that I am aware of, at least.) It's not like Greer or Tatchell or anyone else the NUS has taken a dislike to is having difficulty promulgating their ideas right now, nor are they likely to anytime soon, so I don't see cause for grave concern. I think the NUS is probably being foolish, but the young often grow out of foolishness.

Quote:
I'm not saying people should be forced to speak at debates or anywhere else against their will, but equally I feel that criticism may well be due and anything that stifles debate is not a good thing in my book at least.
Well, unless you're prepared to go as far as "my belief in free speech is so great that I don't believe you have the freedom not to speak" then I don't see a neat answer here. Some speakers will continue to attempt to hold venues hostage, and they may or may not succeed. People will judge the speakers on their merits and make the call about who they think is being the bigger dick -- and maybe, sometimes, "no-platforming" will seem like a reasonable thing to have done. There are doubtless people who we are, on the whole, better off just ignoring. Not everyone is a special snowflake who deserves equal attention.

I guess I have more confidence in the free economic market of ideas than you do. I don't see this recent hype about "no-platforming" as a significant stifling force. I merely think it's a bit silly when taken to extremes, but then again, what isn't?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 14:04 

Quote:
I guess I have more confidence in the free economic market of ideas than you do. I don't see this recent hype about "no-platforming" as a significant stifling force. I merely think it's a bit silly when taken to extremes, but then again, what isn't?

:shrug:

No, personally, I definitely think there is an observable trend at play; an increasing intolerance and "othering"; this clamour among certain quarters to be more left wing/right on than others etc., and your OP tends to lend some credence to this. For me, it's all very McCarthyite I must say.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 14:11 
Gogmagog

Cavey wrote:
Quote:

No, personally, I definitely think there is an observable trend at play; an increasing intolerance and "othering"; this clamour among certain quarters to be more left wing/right on than others etc., and your OP tends to lend some credence to this. For me, it's all very McCarthyite I must say.

I'm inclined to agree with Cavesterooni. It could be on the increase but it could just be getting more coverage. It sits uncomfortably with me, in the main.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 14:14 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Quote:

I'm inclined to agree with Cavesterooni. It could be on the increase but it could just be getting more coverage. It sits uncomfortably with me, in the main.

I think it sits uncomfortably with me because someone's beliefs and principles are negatively impacting another person.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 14:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Did you just quote yourself?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 14:32 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Did you just quote yourself?

Yes. Otherwise if I were to edit so done might not pick up the later bit. I do it often. Sometimes I disagree with myself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 14:39 

I think this sort of thing might be true at university debating clubs or whatever the fuck but in the press or places like Facebook i.e. as far as most actual people are concerned, I've heard more people spouting more shitty horrible views lately than at any time I can really remember.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 14:55 

markg wrote:
I think this sort of thing might be true at university debating clubs or whatever the fuck but in the press or places like Facebook i.e. as far as most actual people are concerned, I've heard more people spouting more shitty horrible views lately than at any time I can really remember.

That's just trolling/trolls though, surely? (your final point obv.)

I suppose from my side of things, I don't normally bother thinking about the likes of Twitter/Facebook and peoples' antics there (and purposely stay away). Trolls gonna be trolls, twitter gonna be twitter what do you expect etc., whereas I am much more concerned when mainstream, more cerebral places of debate and vigorous discussion are potentially compromised? If university campuses can't be hotbeds of contentious, vigorous and yes, controversial platforms for debate (and all the potential for offence this entails) then for me at least, these are sad, misguided times. You can throw the baby out with the bathwater, yeah?

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 15:02 
UltraMod

Cavey wrote:

One person's troll is another person's 'voice of reason', though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 15:03 
Bad Girl

My followers are all bots so I can spout as much bollocks as I want without a soul in the world reading it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 15:03 

Lonewolves wrote:
Cavey wrote:

One person's troll is another person's 'voice of reason', though.

Yeah, very true. :shrug:

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 15:14 
Sleepyhead

I wonder if the left's rushing to judgement and sometimes OTT stuff that we're discussing is linked to a belief that the right (not all the right, just like not all the left) are getting more extreme and more blunt and blatant in their prejudices.

As an example, the American elections have a Republican front runner who is openly racist and his supporters love it. You get huge ratings by being anti-choice, racist, homophobic, transphobic, etc.

It seems logical that there would be a backlash to this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 15:19 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:

And there's always a backlash to the backlash, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 15:56 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Yes, but this is a back lash against the "left" for not being "left enough" within the personal scales of the people involved.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 16:14 
UltraMod

Bobbyaro wrote:
Yes, but this is a back lash against the "left" for not being "left enough" within the personal scales of the people involved.

This is why the left will never defeat the right. The right just don't give a fuck who they offend and just get their nasty shit done. The left is far too fractured and prone to infighting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 16:27 

Lonewolves wrote:
The right just don't give a fuck who they offend and just get their nasty shit done.

\o

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 16:28 

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
:DD :kiss:

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 16:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lonewolves wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

This is why the left will never defeat the right. The right just don't give a fuck who they offend and just get their nasty shit done. The left is far too fractured and prone to infighting.

Politics and life aren't a war of left versus right. On both sides the massive, massive problem the world has is people being tribalist and fleeing the centre. The centre's where shit gets done and sexy stuff happens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 16:30 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

Politics and life aren't a war of left versus right. On both sides the massive, massive problem the world has is people being tribalist and fleeing the centre. The centre's where shit gets done and sexy stuff happens.

All right Tony Blair

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 18:11 
Excellent Painter

Lonewolves wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Yeah, it's just like beards were a backlash against metrosexuality :kiss:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 21:10 

Cras wrote:
The centre's where shit gets done and sexy stuff happens.

I agree with that generally - that's why I vote for and joined a centre-left party (Labour, for all its many deep flaws) rather than an extreme party (Greens). And why I think Corbyn will be the Tories' secret weapon in keeping them in power. :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:38 
Rude Belittler

DBSnappa wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Yeah, it's just like beards were a backlash against metrosexuality :kiss:

You mean shaving, right? Beards are a backlash against dragging sharp bits of metal over your face every morning. I mean, it's insane. If you tried explaining it to hairless aliens, they'd think you were mental.

'Every morning I remove natural hair from my face with a sharp piece of metal'
'What? Don't you cut yourself?'
'All the time!'
'Doesn't it hurt?'
'Of course it does! Then we splash some special liquid on our faces that makes it hurt so much more!'
'Why do you do this?'
'To look pretty'
'These people are insane. Let's nuke this stupid planet and go home'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:45 

If you have a female partner, would you find it equally bonkers were she to shave her legs/underarms, etc?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:46 
Unpossible!

Agreed. Hairy is the new erm... not hairy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:50 
Rude Belittler

Mimi wrote:
If you have a female partner, would you find it equally bonkers were she to shave her legs/underarms, etc?

Well, of course... you can't even see those bits, most of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:53 

Shaving is nowhere near as mental as ironing. Fuck ironing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:54 
Rude Belittler

Hell yeah. I haven't ironed anything in years.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:56 

Some people iron pretty much everything, spend like half an hour or more a day doing it. Entire years of their lives. Ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:58 
Rude Belittler

And they put the clothes on... and boom! Wrinkles.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:58 
Bad Girl

I don't iron anything unless it's immediately going to be placed on my person that day or following morning.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:28 

Heh. Mrs C irons *everything*; shirts (with starched collars), T-shirts, jeans, hankies, gym vests, sheets, pillow cases, eiderdowns, steam-presses jackets... even my boxers lol. She's a domestic goddess. :luv: The iron itself is some bloody massive professional affair and has its own remote water tank with goose-necked feed pipe, the steam jets are immense.

I never used to iron cock-all when I was a bachelor, but I've got no issues with someone else doing it for me. In fact, I really quite like it. :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:29 
Sleepyhead

I only iron my work shirts, coz they look proper messy if you don't.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:30 
Gogmagog

Curiosity wrote:

I wear a jumper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:40 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Curiosity wrote:

:this: and tshirts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:41 
Soopah red DS

What is ironing? Occasionally a shirt. Otherwise nowt.

And splashing after shave on, especially after a cut? No.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:45 

Heh. Again, Mrs C *insists* I wear aftershave (not Brut or Hi Karate :p but some "Jo Malone" stuff she got me for Xmas, I smell like a tart's handbag but she loves it bless 'er)

Must be a 1970s vibe.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:48 
Soopah red DS

Now I have a lovely image of your boudoir and routine. All a bit Christian Bale in American Hustle (without the combover, mind).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:50 

JBR wrote:
Now I have a lovely image of your boudoir and routine. All a bit Christian Bale in American Hustle (without the combover, mind).

:D

Yeah, not so much "combover" as "pass the Mister Sheen", unfortunately...

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I ironed precisely once after becoming single. Now the nice lady at the launderette does it for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:40 
Sleepyhead

Cavey wrote:
Heh. Again, Mrs C *insists* I wear aftershave (not Brut or Hi Karate :p but some "Jo Malone" stuff she got me for Xmas, I smell like a tart's handbag but she loves it bless 'er)

Must be a 1970s vibe.

That's expensive stuff. My missus loves it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:43 

Curiosity wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Must be a 1970s vibe.

That's expensive stuff. My missus loves it.

Yeah I know mate, tell me about it! :p (edit: the bit where you said it's expensive, not that your missus loves it also, just to clarify likes :p )
Personally I think it smells like bloody perfume(!) but what can I say. The lady loves all that shite so I just do it without questioning, it's the easiest way. :D

Dr Lave wrote:

Reply to topic  [ 14352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 288  Next