Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 287  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 15:02 
ugvm'er at heart...

markg wrote:
Yeah, I've always thought that plastic bags were a ridiculous thing to get so much attention. Compared to the amount of other crap and pointless packaging which people throw away they are completely insignificant. But then telling people not to drive their cars as much and definitely not go jetting off on foreign holidays is not much of a money-spinner.

Indeed :) Add to that the bigger size of the bag-for-life, and the storing and transporting of those, then it gets even worse!

The best thing is those tree-hugging jute bags that are so good for the environment. Each one of those bags has a whole of life carbon footprint of 51kg! You'd need to use one 4000 times to come out ahead :D

Like everything political parties do, it's all just posturing and all about vote-winning and being seen to be doing the right thing, rather than actually doing the right thing. Ban the carrier bags, because everyone knows them and sees them and uses them, we can spin it that is is a good thing and that'll win us some votes...

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 15:03 
ugvm'er at heart...

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
You appear to have omitted landfill and litter from your calculations.

Good point. The bags for life are much larger and heavier, so take up a lot more physical space in landfills.
I'll give you the litter argument though :)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 15:17 
Soopah red DS

Plus it isn't entirely about the carbon footprint - all consumption causes some, after all, and the idea is to reduce it as far as possible; far better to do that by changing attitudes, so instead of a standard 'here's your stuff, here's a crappy bag', more and more people always have a bag tucked away in a pocket somewhere, more people just carry their few items to car or home and so on.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 15:18 
Gogmagog

Did anyone else think "She did OK, there" after May bitchslapped the police federatin and told them to sort their stuff out?

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 15:25 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Cavey wrote:
And yet amusingly enough though Pod, it's actually you, not I, who clearly has an axe to grind (and for that matter, as far as I can make out, totally intransigent political beliefs in the face of all the empirical evidence to the contrary).

1. The post wasn't about you, it was about cognitive dissonance and forms of persuasion.
2. Please highlight, in bold etc, what I directly wrote, or even some text you think vaguely implies, that you, or anyone else, had an axe to grind?
3. What are my "political beliefs" that I refuse to change "in the face of all the empirical evidence to the contrary"?
4. Given how you've gone off on one, maybe you do have a persecution complex?

re: Bag for life. Is it about the energy?

Landfills are full of plastic bags, because of how many we use, how we dispose off them and that most bags weren't recycleable. Once in the landfill they simply don't go away, because of their lack of biodegradability. Plastic bags will continue to be taken to the tip until plastic becomes a premium item to make and it's more economically viable to recycle/reuse the old bags.

So by using a bag for life, especially a hippie-tastic one made from hemp, you're reducing the number of bags sent to a landfill. And finding a new landfill sites that doesn't annoy people is a hard thing.

I use one as the thin plastic ones are shit and rip.

edit: Hmm JBR said the same thing.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 15:27 

JBR wrote:
Plus it isn't entirely about the carbon footprint - all consumption causes some, after all, and the idea is to reduce it as far as possible; far better to do that by changing attitudes, so instead of a standard 'here's your stuff, here's a crappy bag', more and more people always have a bag tucked away in a pocket somewhere, more people just carry their few items to car or home and so on.

I just think it's something that lets governments, businesses and individuals feel as though they are "doing their bit" when it costs them nothing and makes no meaningful contribution to anything. Not using disposable plastic bags doesn't prepare people for the fact that if they actually gave a toss then they wouldn't be jetting off on foreign holidays etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 15:28 
Soopah red DS

markg wrote:
JBR wrote:

I just think it's something that lets governments, businesses and individuals feel as though they are "doing their bit" when it costs them nothing and makes no meaningful contribution to anything. Not using disposable plastic bags doesn't prepare people for the fact that if they actually gave a toss then they wouldn't be jetting off on foreign holidays etc.

Oh yeah, absolutely - it starts as an entirely understandable reaction to something so little and yet so wasteful, then turns into a campaign and that draws attention away from the whole point.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 15:29 

Pod wrote:

1. The post wasn't about you, it was about cognitive dissonance and forms of persuasion.
2. Please highlight, in bold etc, what I directly wrote, or even some text you think vaguely implies, that you, or anyone else, had an axe to grind?
3. What are my "political beliefs" that I refuse to change "in the face of all the empirical evidence to the contrary"?

Sorry, this is an interesting discussion. Could you please leave this crap out of this thread? I am just not interested. Thanks.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 15:30 

MaliA wrote:
Did anyone else think "She did OK, there" after May bitchslapped the police federatin and told them to sort their stuff out?

Yes I flipping well did, actually. Fair play to her; long overdue as far as I'm concerned.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 15:36 
ugvm'er at heart...

That's the whole point, the move to reusable bags is quantifiably worse for the environment when you take a look across the whole lifecycle and how they are actually used by people. We are in a worse situation than before when it comes to environmental impact. That includes the landfill costs and impact, etc...
People have this idea that they are better, but they really aren't, it just seems like they should be.

Changing peoples attitudes to using bags was the right thing to do, we should have kept the old bags though and had a campaign of re-use and recycle of those, as that would have actually put us in a better position.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 15:39 

Trooper wrote:
People have this idea that they are better, but they really aren't, it just seems like they should be.

Ah yes... so many things in life - most especially in matters of politics - seem like they "should" be better (or "should" achieve the desired, no doubt entirely well-intentioned result), but very often (sadly) do not do anything of the sort...

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 15:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

They should just charge for the bags, like M&S and Aldi do.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 15:55 
Excellent Member

Cavey wrote:
Pod wrote:

Sorry, this is an interesting discussion. Could you please leave this crap out of this thread? I am just not interested. Thanks.

You're the one that had a go at him over nothing you tit! He was just expanding on the concept of cognitive dissonance and you needlessly decided it was an attack on you and threw a load of genuinely bizarre accusations at him. You do a good job at pretending to be reasonable, and often times actually manage it, but this tendency to fly off the handle in a paranoid heart beat is really unpleasant.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 15:57 

Trooper wrote:
The best thing is those tree-hugging jute bags that are so good for the environment. Each one of those bags has a whole of life carbon footprint of 51kg! You'd need to use one 4000 times to come out ahead :D

Have you got a source for this? Everything I can find says it is more like 170 times and the normal reusable bags need to be used 10 or 11 times, which is some discrepancy and makes me wonder about your other figures.

But either way all this talk of plastic bags still makes me think of deckchairs on the Titanic. An utterly irrelevant distraction.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 16:05 
Gogmagog

I use the bigger bags I've bought for storing firewood after they get used for transporting beer up the big hill.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 16:07 

Bamba wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Pod wrote:

You're the one that had a go at him over nothing you tit! He was just expanding on the concept of cognitive dissonance and you needlessly decided it was an attack on you and threw a load of genuinely bizarre accusations at him. You do a good job at pretending to be reasonable, and often times actually manage it, but this tendency to fly off the handle in a paranoid heart beat is really unpleasant.

Oh FFS.
I was QUOTED in that post, so pardon me for thinking it had anything to do with me, along with all the other tiresome crap he's thrown at me previously.

So yeah, how "bizarre" eh. :insincere:

What the fuck has this got to do with you anyway? Are you Pod's GF? ;)

I am NOT interested in this. You think I'm a "tit", fine by me, but could you leave those who actually do want to discuss with me alone in this one thread without derailing it? Last word from me on this petty crap.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 16:13 
ugvm'er at heart...

markg wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Have you got a source for this? Everything I can find says it is more like 170 times and the normal reusable bags need to be used 10 or 11 times, which is some discrepancy and makes me wonder about your other figures.

UK Environment Agency Report SC030148/2011
http://www.incpen.org/docs/Life%20cycle ... report.pdf

Admittedly, I'm just quoting the carbon footprint numbers for hyperbole sake, rather than the full GWP number ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 16:14 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
They should just charge for the bags, like M&S and Aldi do.

It's coming, October 2015 all single use plastic bags will cost a mandatory 5p across England.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 16:17 

Cavey wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Yes I flipping well did, actually. Fair play to her; long overdue as far as I'm concerned.

This. Very impressed.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 16:18 

Kern wrote:
Cavey wrote:
MaliA wrote:

This. Very impressed.

Yes, I thought that was true political bravery, a rare thing imo.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 16:22 

Trooper wrote:
markg wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Admittedly, I'm just quoting the carbon footprint numbers for hyperbole sake, rather than the full GWP number ;)

Right. So not so much hyperbole as just absolute bollocks then.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 16:25 
Excellent Member

Cavey wrote:
I was QUOTED in that post, so pardon me for thinking it had anything to do with me. How "bizarre" eh.

That's not the part I called bizarre, I was talking about the mad nonsense you chucked at Pod about "axes to grind" and "intransigent political beliefs". Seriously where in God's name did that come from?

Cavey wrote:
What the fuck has this got to do with you anyway? Are you Pod's GF? ;)

You should have at least quoted Grim properly there, 'credit' where it's due and all that. Although it's as idiotic a response on a public discussion board as it ever was of course.

Cavey wrote:
I am NOT interested in this. You think I'm a "tit", fine by me, but could you leave those who actually do want to discuss with me alone in this one thread without derailing it? Last word from me on this petty crap.

Your paranoia flares up for the umpteenth time and you give someone a needless verbal kick in the teeth, but minutes later it's all, "I'm not interested" and "petty crap" and you trying to desperately claim the moral high ground. God forbid you should ever actually look at what you wrote and consider the slightest possibility that you over-reacted and caused the very chat you're now railing against.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 16:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Shut up!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 16:31 
ugvm'er at heart...

markg wrote:
Trooper wrote:
markg wrote:
Trooper wrote:

:roll:

Have you read the report? I assume not.

Try this

http://www.carrierbagtax.com/downloads/ ... _Pages.pdf

It might be easier for you to read ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 16:40 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
Cavey wrote:
MaliA wrote:

This. Very impressed.

I think I was after listening to the interviews with the federation people the days prior. The second acocunts and 'robust discussions' and people 'protecting empires' made it all sound (especially after Plebgate) not terribly good.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 16:43 

MaliA wrote:
Kern wrote:
Cavey wrote:
MaliA wrote:

This. Very impressed.

I think I was after listening to the interviews with the federation people the days prior. The second acocunts and 'robust discussions' and people 'protecting empires' made it all sound (especially after Plebgate) not terribly good.

Isn't ACPO also on the way out? Both those bodies got too powerful for both their own and the country's good. Shame Labour were too obsessed with looking 'soft' on crime to tackle them.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 16:46 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Kern wrote:
Cavey wrote:
MaliA wrote:

This. Very impressed.

Isn't ACPO also on the way out? Both those bodies got too powerful for both their own and the country's good. Shame Labour were too obsessed with looking 'soft' on crime to tackle them.

It's the problem with trade unions, though, isn't it?* I'll ask the copper I was out with on Saturday if he's allowed out to play again. Certainly, the actions of the police have done nothing to garner any form of public trust in them, and if the allegations of nest feathering are true, then a stern reminder that they are public servants is pobably the best thing to do, next to taking a new broom to the lot.

*Am aware it isn't a trade union, but it acts and behaves like one at times.

Addendum: One of the major positives of the commute in the car is listening to R4 again. ANd aggressively tailgating SUVs in the Ka up the M606.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 16:54 

MaliA wrote:
*Am aware it isn't a trade union, but it acts and behaves like one at times.

I have to agree, sadly.

Quote:
Addendum: One of the major positives of the commute in the car is listening to R4 again.

Oh man, :this:

R4 is just awesome.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 16:56 

Latest Britain-wide vote share projections:

UKIP 17%
Lab 31%
Con 29%
LD 13%

Not quite as bad as I was expecting; ~1-in-6 votes for UKIP.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 17:29 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Trooper wrote:

I'm not reading 120 pages.

Quote:
Try this

http://www.carrierbagtax.com/downloads/ ... _Pages.pdf

It might be easier for you to read ;)

I've used my PP non-woven bag many more than 14 times. (I think it's a pp non-woven bag). I am conscience clear! One thing they're missing on their "myth busters" is how crappy and thin the cheap bags are and how anything square shaped tears a hole in it. It's ok if you're dumping it in the back of a car, but carrying them for more than a few minutes sucks.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 17:33 
ugvm'er at heart...

14 times is based on bag purchasing by kg though, when you look at the carbon footprint bag vs bag rather total bag weight, they are the figures i've already posted.
I don't know about you, but I don't buy my bags by the kilo! :D

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 17:48 
Sitting balls-back folder

Anyone who can't make a bag for life last >20 times shouldn't be allowed to do shopping.

with that said, I'm going to.grab some scissors and slash the SHIT out of ours.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 17:51 

BikNorton wrote:
Anyone who can't make a bag for life last >20 times shouldn't be allowed to do shopping.

Bloody hell, seriously? :o
I'm lucky if I can make one last between the boot of the car and the kitchen worktop... yup, I'm one of those who tries to get about 50kg of stuff in per bag (usually quite a few bottles ;) )

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 17:59 

Trooper wrote:
markg wrote:
Trooper wrote:
markg wrote:
Trooper wrote:

I did I couldn't find the bit where it said:

"Each one of those bags has a whole of life carbon footprint of 51kg! You'd need to use one 4000 times to come out ahead"

Or anything like it.

What it says is this:

The paper, LDPE, non-woven PP and cotton bags should be reused at least 3, 4,
11 and 131 times respectively to ensure that they have lower global warming
potential than conventional HDPE carrier bags that are not reused. The number of
times each would have to be reused when different proportions of conventional
(HDPE) carrier bags are reused are shown in the table below.

Which is an order of magnitude away from the figures you were spouting and nothing to do with per Kg.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 18:06 
Sitting balls-back folder

Cavey wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

Bloody hell, seriously? :o
I'm lucky if I can make one last between the boot of the car and the kitchen worktop... yup, I'm one of those who tries to get about 50kg of stuff in per bag (usually quite a few bottles ;) )
yeah, even after they start splitting they still go on for ages. It's my.bottles that tend to do that to them too, bloody beer caps.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 18:11 
ugvm'er at heart...

markg wrote:
Trooper wrote:
markg wrote:
Trooper wrote:
markg wrote:
Trooper wrote:

I did I couldn't find the bit where it said:

"Each one of those bags has a whole of life carbon footprint of 51kg! You'd need to use one 4000 times to come out ahead"

Or anything like it.

What it says is this:

The paper, LDPE, non-woven PP and cotton bags should be reused at least 3, 4,
11 and 131 times respectively to ensure that they have lower global warming
potential than conventional HDPE carrier bags that are not reused. The number of
times each would have to be reused when different proportions of conventional
(HDPE) carrier bags are reused are shown in the table below.

Which is an order of magnitude away from the figures you were spouting and nothing to do with per Kg.

Look at the pdf I linked to which pulls out the figures per bag, not per kg.

Or don't, it's up to you...

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 18:46 
Excellent Member

The plastic bag recycling figures are pretty bent, the UK just used to send ship loads of them to India and let some town gas its self on the fumes.

Then it was "we have put X% less bags in landfill this year" when really they were pushing the issue elsewhere, not really very global

As for 5p a bag in M&S that's not really consistent, go buy a pack of socks and they give you a huge thick plastic bag for nothing, bag of crisps, 5p for a shit bag.

Wonder what will be done with all the 5p's they will collect from October 2015? Spent on more ships to send bags somewhere poor I suspect :DD

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 19:02 

asfish wrote:
Wonder what will be done with all the 5p's they will collect from October 2015? Spent on more ships to send bags somewhere poor I suspect :DD

In Wales, which started doing this years ago, the retailers have to give it to local charities.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 19:04 

And the carbon footprint of these awful plastic bags is why I drive to the supermarket every single evening to only bring small amounts of shopping home in a designer leather handbag.

I'm joking, of course. I can't afford designer leather handbags. Or leather handbags. Or handbags. Or a car. Or food.

Stupid weddings.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 19:05 

markg wrote:
I think the point is that sometimes this cognitive dissonance can cause us to give undue credence to any evidence which doesn't cause us to have to alter our views. It also strikes me that some of the wider implications of what is going to be required to have any meaningful impact on climate change do not sit well with traditional conservative values which may compound this effect for those with right wing views.

The issue for me here is that I'm not of the view that man-made climate change isn't a reality anyway; just merely that I personally have doubts, not least because of stuff that I linked in response to Doc earlier. I don't think that merely having some doubts about an accepted viewpoint even actually constitutes a "view" of itself, does it? Certainly not in the way that I think is implied (not by you, but cognitive dissonance).

As for your second point, I don't even regard myself as "right wing", less still a "traditional conservative". But in any case, for me at least, this isn't actually a matter of personal politics/political beliefs (which I guess explains my reaction to having this crop up in a political thread). No, for good or ill this piques my engineering brain, not my political one, such as it is on both counts.

Quote:
I've also read things which indicate that it isn't related to scientific literacy or anything like that and indeed those faculties can simply enable people to better construct an alternative viewpoint which they find believable. You see scientists who probably consider themselves rational do this sometimes.

Well, yes, this is precisely my concern. To my mind, it seems inconceivable that we can have 98% unanimity among Scientists, when as per that Nature article, the models don't stack up to empirical data [subject to my reviewing Doc's info which I will do]. My worry is that there could be this 'don't stick your head above the parapet' type syndrome at play? I'm certainly not saying this is happening, but for me at least, it's a concern?

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 19:08 
ugvm'er at heart...

I've been trying to find the total usage figures for single use bags plus reusable bags over recent years, which would be the most telling figure, but they don't seem to be published anywhere.

I know that it was 6.5 billion single use bags in 2006, but nothing reported since then.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 19:26 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
I've been trying to find the total usage figures for single use bags plus reusable bags over recent years, which would be the most telling figure, but they don't seem to be published anywhere.

I know that it was 6.5 billion single use bags in 2006, but nothing reported since then.

Some plastic facts..!

http://www.inspirationgreen.com/plastic-bag-stats.html

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:49 
Legendary Boogeyman

I recently recovered a bag for life that has been sitting in a loft in Manchester for around 8 years. It's still in incredibly good nick (turns out sitting there doing fuck all doesn't damage it much) and it was packed with old tools and other shit. I cleaned it out and have now repurposed it to hold either shopping or my recycling depending on the need.

I generally like the bags for life for their sturdyness, and I will reuse them until they literally disintegrate. I still occasionally get normal plastic bags, and use them as bin-liners for small bins.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 13:50 

Result! BINS HAVE BEEN MENTIONED. :D

In other news, I feel rough as a bears arse, on account of Mrs C and I doing a "Dick and Liz" [Burton/Taylor] 2-man party until vodka shots @6am (yes really), and we are supposed to be entertaining shortly... Thank fuck for quadruple ristrettos

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 0:24 
Sleepyhead

*looks at European results*

Oh, for the love of fuck.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 0:33 
Paws for thought

it depresses me that the party guaranteed to do jack sjit for 'us' is the one that seemsto be winning.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:42 

Unsurprising and depressing result. Cue a massive swing to the right and the emergence of the pact with UKIP which the Tories keep dismissing. They've got no other choice, Europe has always split the party internally but UKIP means the split threatens to become external. They are in a hole, basically, they want to be seen by their backers as the party which represents the interests of business first and foremost but business leaders generally want us to stay within Europe but that's not something they can realistically guarantee.

I'm not even gloating about this because Labour are providing no real opposition and no compelling alternative right now. There are so many ways they could attack this shitty government but they are just staring dumbfounded at an open goal while the terrifying prospect of either an ultra right wing Tory government or equally right wing Tory/UKIP coalition looms large for 2015.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:01 
Excellent Member

It can't all be right wing people voting for UKIP

He got almost 30% of the cast votes.

Its also the first time in 100 years that a none "major" party has won a major election.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:14 
Decapodian

:this:

Depressed now.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:23 

Fuck me the cybernaws are actually celebrating UKIP getting a Scottish MEP as it "shows we're not much different from the rUK". Even if you ignore there being almost a fifth more UKIP voters (% of vote) south of the wall I'm not sure we should be over the moon that we have mongs too :(

Reply to topic  [ 14350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 287  Next