Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 288  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 13:36 

Hearthly wrote:
I find EBG far more agreeable in the Hearthstone thread.

Let's not turn this into another jumping on the 'I hate EBG, he's a heartless bastard' bandwagon, eh? It's fucking boring.

As I have said time and time again, the man is entitled to his opinions and, as far as I'm concerned, whilst I wouldn't be quite so stark/blunt about it, there is much truth in a lot of what he says.

If you want to take on his points in a rational, adult debate, then that's all to the good, please be my guest, it'll be great to read. But spare us the "play the man, not the ball" PC claptrap, yeah?

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 13:39 
Legendary Boogeyman

Cras wrote:
£350,000 a week. That's utter peanuts. We absolutely could do this, starting tomorrow.

Back of a fag-packet financial planning based on what you've readily pulled out of your arse. It's bound to work exactly like that with no other costs or downsides. You're right. We shouldn't totally do all of that immediately without a first or second thought.

And hey, then everyone will hear how if you force your way into the UK the government will build you a free house and give you a living allowance! But I'm sure there are no downsides to that either.

If it helps, I think all of those that want a house a refugee family should be allowed to do so. Just be aware you're completely responsible for their well-being and conduct during their open-ended stay. I actually, legitimately, have no problem with that at all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 13:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Cavey wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
I find EBG far more agreeable in the Hearthstone thread.

Let's not turn this into another jumping on the 'I hate EBG, he's a heartless bastard' bandwagon, eh? It's fucking boring.

As I have said time and time again, the man is entitled to his opinions and, as far as I'm concerned, whilst I wouldn't be quite so stark/blunt about it, there is much truth in a lot of what he says.

If you want to take on his points in a rational, adult debate, then that's all to the good, please be my guest, it'll be great to read. But spare us the "play the man, not the ball" PC claptrap, yeah?

Oh come off it, I chat extensively and in a civil manner with EBG in the Hearthstone thread, we've had many 'live' chats in the battle.net client over the last 18 months, I'm not saying I hate him and he's a bastard, I'm expressing my opinion that his opinion, and the way he's expressed it - doesn't sit well with me at all.

I know you seem to think it's your solemn duty to defend 'your' thread from stuff you feel doesn't make the grade, but that's not actually your call to make. It's boring, too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 13:45 
Legendary Boogeyman

I express stuff in a blunt manner. That way my meaning is clear. If people hate me for it, meh, I think I'll survive to be honest.

It's not even like I don't care, except that I appreciate that there's an enormous fucking gulf to posting on the internet demanding that things happen in a certain way, and the actual logistics of making those things happen at a government level. The average person has absolutely no perspective or appreciation for how things work and what things cost. Meanwhile armchair social commentators come up with all kinds of 'simple' plans that we should 'just do now' as if they have any fucking clue what they're on about. The lack of awareness is just fucking astounding to me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 13:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Cras wrote:
£350,000 a week. That's utter peanuts. We absolutely could do this, starting tomorrow.

Back of a fag-packet financial planning based on what you've readily pulled out of your arse. It's bound to work exactly like that with no other costs or downsides. You're right. We shouldn't totally do all of that immediately without a first or second thought.

Of course it's back of a fag packet stuff! Because it's not my job to do it. It is, however, other people's job to do it. Because this is a humanitarian crisis, not something that can just be ignored. If there isn't already a plan detailing exactly what the costs are, then you fucking convene COBRA and start jumping on people's heads until there is a plan.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 13:49 
Sleepyhead

If Lebanon can take in a million refugees, and Jordan several hundred thousand, and the UK government has pledged 900 million quid to assist, and you really think that we couldn't fit in 10k people and support them, then you are spectacularly naive. Or selfish.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 13:51 
Legendary Boogeyman

Cras wrote:
If there isn't already a plan detailing exactly what the costs are, then you fucking convene COBRA and start jumping on people's heads until there is a plan.

Let me use your excuse there - it's not my job wahwahwah.

The difference is I'm not coming up with nonsense plans and making unrealistic demands of 'teh heartless governments'. I know enough to know I don't know anything about how it would work, and that it wouldn't be that simple even if I thought I did. Maybe there isn't an obvious plan, and there is no good easy solution. Gadzooks!

Quote:
If Lebanon can take in a million refugees, and Jordan several hundred thousand, and the UK government has pledged 900 million quid to assist, and you really think that we couldn't fit in 10k people and support them, then you are spectacularly naive. Or selfish.

Yeah, those super-awesome highly desirable developed countries that have billions on hand to fund houses and handouts to those people. That's what they're doing right?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 13:52 

Hearthly wrote:
Oh come off it, I chat extensively and in a civil manner with EBG in the Hearthstone thread, we've had many 'live' chats in the battle.net client over the last 18 months, I'm not saying I hate him and he's a bastard, I'm expressing my opinion that his opinion, and the way he's expressed it - doesn't sit well with me at all.

Come off what? EBG expressed a perfectly valid, on-topic opinion and you've come on here with a remark about him personally, nothing to do with the very important subject matter, and now I'm having to waste my fucking time responding again, to you and your rhetorical nonsense.

Quote:
I know you seem to think it's your solemn duty to defend 'your' thread from stuff you feel doesn't make the grade, but that's not actually your call to make. It's boring, too.

Well it is 'my' thread whether you like it or not, so to the extent of any normal netiquette I'd really much prefer it if people came here to discuss and debate, rather than derail and cause shit? I'm in no position to *do* anything about it as such, sadly.

So, having taken the piss out of him, are you actually going to debate his points with him directly, without calling him names? Or can we assume this is the extent of your, ahem, 'contribution'? :roll:

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 13:55 
Sleepyhead

Cras wrote:
If there isn't already a plan detailing exactly what the costs are, then you fucking convene COBRA and start jumping on people's heads until there is a plan.

Let me use your excuse there - it's not my job wahwahwah.

The difference is I'm not coming up with nonsense plans and making unrealistic demands of 'teh heartless governments'. I know enough to know I don't know anything about how it would work, and that it wouldn't be that simple even if I thought I did. Maybe there isn't an obvious plan, and there is no good easy solution. Gadzooks!

Quote:

Yeah, those super-awesome highly desirable developed countries that have billions on hand to fund houses and handouts to those people. That's what they're doing right?

Not sure what your point is here. Whether your sentence is read sarcastically or not just indicates either ignorance or agreement with me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 13:56 
Sleepyhead

And there is no easy solution. That doesn't mean you just give up or sit on your hands.

"I'm sorry Mister Schindler, but I'm not sure if you all have housing permits. Back to Auschwitz!"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 14:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Cavey wrote:
Come off what? EBG expressed a perfectly valid, on-topic opinion and you've come on here with a remark about him personally, nothing to do with the very important subject matter, and now I'm having to waste my fucking time responding again, to you and your rhetorical nonsense.

You're missing the context of my comment in that I actually get on fine with EBG and we shoot the shit quite happily elsewhere on the forums or battle.net chats. It was my equivalent of Mimi's 8) post in response to EBG's post. TBH it's about all the response I felt EBG's post warranted.

As for the 'very important subject matter' I'll respectfully point out it was a subject I raised last night with my original post of the photo and associated comment.

Quote:
Well it is 'my' thread whether you like it or not, so to the extent of any normal netiquette I'd really much prefer it if people came here to discuss and debate, rather than derail and cause shit? I'm in no position to *do* anything about it as such, sadly.

But if you didn't jump on my head the second I made the 'wrong sort of post' it'd just be a single comment out of many, the derail has actually come from you donning your trusty Cavey's Police Squad helmet and pepper-spraying the thread's perceived dissidents with batons raised.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 14:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
I know you seem to think it's your solemn duty to defend 'your' thread from stuff you feel doesn't make the grade, but that's not actually your call to make.

No, it's mine. Keep on topic, or shut up. (That goes for everyone else, too).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 14:03 

Timely reminder of The Sun's former editorial stance:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 14:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

IMAGES OF THAT WEAPONS-GRADE BITCH WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

I know it's her job, but fuck me, she's vile. Still, I think it's good that the media is starting to see sense on this - hopefully it's not too late to change some people's minds.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 14:06 

Well, yeah. I just can't understand how someone could be so devoid of empathy and human compassion, but then it's a talking point and it sells papers, right?

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 14:07 
Legendary Boogeyman

Is that a free 1 month trial of Katie Hopkins?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 14:08 

Cavey wrote:
Well, yeah. I just can't understand how someone could be so devoid of empathy and human compassion.
Curiosity wrote:
We cannot simply stand by and watch all these people die.

Sure we fucking can.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 14:09 
Legendary Boogeyman

Ah that's right Gaywood! Out of context snipping of what I said to make me look evil. Brav-fucking-o. Intellectually honest and right on your usual level.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 14:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

STOP IT! Christ.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 14:10 

Grim... wrote:
[Still, I think it's good that the media is starting to see sense on this
Apparently the Sun's new stance is "we must drop more bombs on Syria to stop this happening" so I'm not sure I'd hold a humanitarian parade for it just yet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 14:11 

Yeah come on Doc, context is important.

I've wasted enough time responding to Hearthly and really need to get on with some work lol, but will revisit tonight with my half-arsed views in this matter.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 14:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The boss man is "deeply moved" by pictures of Aylan Kurdi, and says Britain is going to fulfil its "moral responsibilities".

Whatever they are.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 14:35 
Bad Girl

Dead child story reminds me of Cecil the Lion story. But without people wanting to rehouse lions and no one saying "why is this suddenly now a story, I just don't get it."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 14:49 

Mimi wrote:
8)

I know right! I'm essentially saying 'Let's have a plan before we just open the floodgates'.

It's fucking heartless. I'm such a bastard. Down with me.

No, I'm just genuinely surprised. I guess it's difficult to read such a blunt statement. In a way, I admire that you can be so blunt and forthright with your opinion. I mean, I totally disagree with you, but I don't think I've yet seen or heard anyone express anything like that, though I am certain that there are thousands, millions that do think the same but would be... 'Shy'? Maybe too embarrassed to say it, because though I'm sure they think for themselves, perhaps the wider idea of nation, that it's right, there's a squeamishness that most people would feel about turning away from fellow humans in crisis.

I do disagree with you, I think that's obvious, but I feel more 8) that you can express it with such clarity and vehemence with what would seem so little rein of the societal notion of duty to feel the need to help. It doesn't affect how I feel about you as a poster, it's just still quite shocking to see.

Though, again, I dare say there are many that will very much think the same thing but never have the guts to say it*, which is WHY it's a shock to see it written.

*note: I have not read any news websites comments sections. I dare say there are far more shocking things written there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 14:54 

Heh. Well, I don't think you need to worry too much about people not having the guts to say what they really think in this thread, Mimi.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 14:56 

Grim... wrote:

I know it's her job, but fuck me, she's vile. Still, I think it's good that the media is starting to see sense on this - hopefully it's not too late to change some people's minds.

:kiss: How she can hold her head up walking down the street, I do not know. I don't think any amount of money would allow me to sell my own notion of self worth to prostitute my opinions by replacing them with articles designed to shock and upset as she has done. I can only imagine she goes to bed hating herself each night. Brrr.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 15:04 

Cavey wrote:
Heh. Well, I don't think you need to worry too much about people not having the guts to say what they really think in this thread, Mimi.

I had no worries over it?

I don't give a hoot for the people politics of the forum or certain threads, so I don't notice people's names posting a lot of the time (that person who left... Changed his name from someone else... I had no idea who he was before or after), but there's a difference, I think, in the language some people use and others. I guess most self moderate to a certain degree, because though they may hold quite strong opinions, it does help acknowledge that it's not always black and white and that sometimes opinions may lay in the gulf between, and also acknowledges that many disagreements actually exist in this grey area, and that two seemingly different opinions can exist in the same space. When either side seems so blunt it's difficult to see the discourse, so can look quite shocking. It's not a wrong way to express anything, I just haven't seen it put so strongly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 15:33 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/s ... are_btn_tw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 15:33 

Mimi wrote:
:kiss: How she can hold her head up walking down the street, I do not know. I don't think any amount of money would allow me to sell my own notion of self worth to prostitute my opinions by replacing them with articles designed to shock and upset as she has done. I can only imagine she goes to bed hating herself each night. Brrr.

That's one angle. Another is that she sleeps fine every night because she believes every word. That seems more likely to me, actually; as you say, if it was an act, it would be soul destroying. But if it's not an act, if she's simply a vile piece of work that has floated to the top of the media because her opinions are so outré -- then it's indefinitely sustainable. Or to put it another way: it has to be honest, because no-one who didn't believe these things would say them so publicly just for a paycheque.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 15:43 
Esoteric

Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:

She seems very unempathic to me. Autism perhaps?

I just find it difficult as some one who lacks empathy and emotion to accept that she could possibly be that vile without being mentally ill.

I know that most of what she says is off the cuff and what some people are thinking but for it then to come straight out of her mouth without any thought is truly amazing.

I've said some pretty hurtful things to people I know and or love, but it's always hit me afterward what a cuntish stupid thing it was that I had said.

She, however, obviously does sleep at night, and doesn't ponder the nasty off the cuff comments she's uttered throughout her day.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 15:49 
Unpossible!

You know what other type of people lack empathy? Psychopaths.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 15:53 
Bad Girl

zaphod79 wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/03/germany-refugees-munich-central-station?CMP=share_btn_tw

"Germans: The nicest folk in the world."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 15:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Can you imagine the relief that man in the first picture is feeling? The child probably doesn't really understand well enough exactly what a big deal it is, but Christ, the old man must be nearly turning inside out with gratitude.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 15:56 

DavPaz wrote:
You know what other type of people lack empathy? Psychopaths.

Heh.

I think she seems to be far to aware that she is saying 'outrageous' things for it to be autism, where as I believe it's a disconnect with not being able to understand to empathise, to a varying degree.

She knows and purposefully plans articles around subjects that she knows will upset just about every decent human being. That's not a lack of empathy due to not being able to place yourself in the feelings of others, it's a vicious pre-planned attempt to sell news 'opinion' through shock and upset.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 16:02 

Grim... wrote:
Can you imagine the relief that man in the first picture is feeling? The child probably doesn't really understand well enough exactly what a big deal it is, but Christ, the old man must be nearly turning inside out with gratitude.

It's hard to imagine how you must feel after such an ordeal. It's amazing to feel love and compassion due to the kindness of strangers. I feel it towards a lot of you :luv:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 16:52 

Mimi wrote:
She knows and purposefully plans articles around subjects that she knows will upset just about every decent human being. That's not a lack of empathy due to not being able to place yourself in the feelings of others, it's a vicious pre-planned attempt to sell news 'opinion' through shock and upset.

Oh, sure, which of her many unpleasant opinions she chooses to air on any given day is calculated for maximum impact. But I still think it's also too abhorrent to be complete fiction.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 16:59 
Legendary Boogeyman

Just as well you're not sustaining her popularity by talking about her constantly then. That'll show her.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 17:12 

Just as well you're not sustaining her popularity by talking about her constantly then. That'll show her.

Wait, anyone takes the carefully managed, pantomime caricature of a fucking Sun columnist without a bucketful of salt?

I hate to point this out but it's just possible it's all some fecking cynical ploy, by journalists, to sell newspapers to somewhat, and very stupid people?

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 17:17 
Legendary Boogeyman

I vaguely recall her being 'caught' having public sex in a field, in what looks like a really carefully staged 'amateur' shot. I mean really, I bet people believe that too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 17:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Work and wife willing, I may be driving a vanload of aid to Calais in two weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 17:51 
Decapodian

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mimi wrote:

That's one angle. Another is that she sleeps fine every night because she believes every word. That seems more likely to me, actually; as you say, if it was an act, it would be soul destroying. But if it's not an act, if she's simply a vile piece of work that has floated to the top of the media because her opinions are so outré -- then it's indefinitely sustainable. Or to put it another way: it has to be honest, because no-one who didn't believe these things would say them so publicly just for a paycheque.

Yep, I've got no doubt that she *is* that vile and unpleasant. Let's face it, most of us have met people who say things not a million miles removed from that kind of nonsense at times.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 17:54 

Are you suggesting that people, perhaps searching for her on the Internet, might come across this thread of all things and think 'oh, those people don't like her much, I'll become her fan' and therefore her popularity increases?

People up thread have been talking about dead refugee children, I don't think that increases their 'popularity'.

I don't think what you've said makes sense. We don't discuss ways we hope to fix and tackle, or personally deal with even on a personal mental level, the ills of society by not talking about them lest it somehow makes everyone like them more...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 17:58 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Yep, I've got no doubt that she *is* that vile and unpleasant. Let's face it, most of us have met people who say things not a million miles removed from that kind of nonsense at times.

I genuinely don't think I have. The closest I've seen is on the Internet, forums and such, and I oft think (hope) it's people saying it for shock value and trolling. There are some here who have linked to equally nasty things in Twitter posts, but they seem to be from accounts of people who just troll others for upset. Those people are vile.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 17:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mimi wrote:

Are you suggesting that people, perhaps searching for her on the Internet, might come across this thread of all things and think 'oh, those people don't like her much, I'll become her fan' and therefore her popularity increases?

Well, yeah, in a way.

The more people talk about her, the more likely the stuff she says will find its way to someone that agrees with her.

And, of course, if people buy the newspaper with the mindset "what has the vile bitch said now" then it's still a newspaper sold.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 18:04 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Work and wife willing, I may be driving a vanload of aid to Calais in two weeks.

Nice one!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 18:13 

MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Nice one!

:this:

Yup, well done Grim..., awesome sir. You're a better man than me.

That having been said, please let me know if I can chip in for stuffs you're taking over supplies-wise? :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 18:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You absolutely can: http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/1P2RJO27Q6N2T

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 18:24 

Grim... wrote:

What address do I send this stuff to? (Ordering now)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 18:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cavey wrote:
Grim... wrote:

HELP CALAIS
Big Yellow
401 High Road
Finchley
N2 8HS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 18:35 

Grim... wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Grim... wrote:

HELP CALAIS
Big Yellow
401 High Road
Finchley
N2 8HS

Gngh, sorry man, need phone no as well please bud

Dr Lave wrote:

Reply to topic  [ 14364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 288  Next