Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 288  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 13:04 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Cavey wrote:
Yeah, I get it Cras, but fuck me, chap, there does have to be at least some consideration of WHAT that direction is.

Actually, from my perspective there doesn't. I don't want a Labour win in 2020, particularly. What I want is political engagement, debate, opposing ideas, and something different to the last 5 years where Labour haven't even dared to object to most of the governmental actions where any sane party would have actually, for god's sake, been in opposition.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 13:52 
Sleepyhead

Cavey wrote:
Yeah, I get it Cras, but fuck me, chap, there does have to be at least some consideration of WHAT that direction is.

But look, this is increasingly feeling like I'm intruding on private grief, here, and for my part I'm genuinely very happy about the whole thing, so perhaps I just need to take a back seat, shut up, share a box of cheese jalapeno nachos with EBG and enjoy it all for a bit. :D

Whose grief?

Every even slightly left leaning person I know is ecstatic with Corbyn being elected. Even most of the centrists are actually interested in having a real opposition instead of Tory-lite.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 14:07 

Curiosity wrote:
Cavey wrote:

But look, this is increasingly feeling like I'm intruding on private grief, here, and for my part I'm genuinely very happy about the whole thing, so perhaps I just need to take a back seat, shut up, share a box of cheese jalapeno nachos with EBG and enjoy it all for a bit. :D

Whose grief?

Every even slightly left leaning person I know is ecstatic with Corbyn being elected. Even most of the centrists are actually interested in having a real opposition instead of Tory-lite.

Labour supporters are ecstatic to a man/woman about this? Seriously? Wow.

Ah well, good luck to them. So am I. :)

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 15:36 

In other news, another defenestration in Australia. I know little about Australian politics, but what I did know of Abbott I didn't like.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 15:53 

Cavey wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Whose grief?

It's an interesting question. Someone should organise some sort of a big poll or vote to determine exactly how many Labour supporters are in favour of Corbyn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 15:54 
Gogmagog

73%

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 16:11 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

markg wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Whose grief?

It's an interesting question. Someone should organise some sort of a big poll or vote to determine exactly how many Labour supporters are in favour of Corbyn.

Big difference between being ecstatic and voting for the lesser of evils, though

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 16:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You don't get a 60% landslide grudgingly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 19:16 
Legendary Boogeyman

The BBC keep doing videos like this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34245061

Shitty 'new age' reporting that isn't reporting. Backing music over sliding graphics of text and artsy clips of no real content. What I wouldn't give for just 60 seconds of proper fucking reporting with a real person speaking rather than this shit. They probably think this substanceless guff appeals to the kids thesedays, what their their snapchats and youtubes and stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 20:35 
Legendary Boogeyman

Hmm. Corbs has done something very laudible here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 00075.html

Can't find mention of it on the BBC at all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 20:54 

It was included, very briefly and glancingly, in a run down of shadow cabinet appointments

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34241395

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 21:06 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mimi wrote:
It was included, very briefly and glancingly, in a run down of shadow cabinet appointments

Crikey you're not kidding. That's as brief as it can be.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 22:41 
Unpossible!

I've met Luciana Berger. Very ambitious woman. Also, Jewish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:36 

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Crikey you're not kidding. That's as brief as it can be.

To be fair, all credit to him on this. Mental health is all too often regarded as the 'poor relation' of healthcare, which, given how prevalent and devastating it clearly is, is surely an oversight long overdue for redress. May help to move us forwards in fighting social stigma type issues as well.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:34 

Yes, with any hope it will raise awareness and, as you say, start to erase the stigma. Hopefully even among The Telegraph assistant editors.

:facepalm:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:54 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Updated now.

Attachment:
JCT.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:57 

Yeah, I saw that it had been updated some time yesterday.

So much of the press has long been corrupt and pathetic that it will deserve its own demise.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 13:23 

Jeremy Warner, the author, was just as charming on Twitter:
Quote:
Getting lots of abuse for using the term "nutjob" about new shadow Chancellor. Not sure why anyone would think it derogatory of mentally ill

Lots of offence about my use of "nutjob". Mental illness didn't even cross my mind. U have to a bit sensitive to think that's what I meant

OK, OK, I apologise to all those who found it offensive. Obviously it was if so many found it so.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 13:46 
SavyGamer

What an arsehole.

This is an excellent and concise explanation for how Corbyn as the leader of the Labour party happened, argued from an economic perspective. Pretty accessible even if you have no real grounding in economics.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 13:48 

I'm curious to see how the BBC coverage will change. The Tories used to whine like pathetic little two year olds at every perceived bit of left wing bias before, how ever will they cope now that the BBC will be duty bound to give Corbyn's views and policies a fair airing?

Actually they'll no doubt respond by destroying the BBC just like they try to do with anything that doesn't fit with their fanatical ideology, regardless of whether anyone else wants them to or not.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 14:03 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

LewieP wrote:
What an arsehole.

This is an excellent and concise explanation for how Corbyn as the leader of the Labour party happened, argued from an economic perspective. Pretty accessible even if you have no real grounding in economics.

Probably would be of more persuasive argument if it came from a more independent source, but Krugman/Corbyn/Murphy are all super best mates. Krugman wrote the papers that Murphy based Green QE on, which Corbyn first nicked as PQE then engaged with Murphy and Krugman to refine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 16:26 

Mimi wrote:
Yes, with any hope it will raise awareness and, as you say, start to erase the stigma. Hopefully even among The Telegraph assistant editors.

:facepalm:

Yeah well, journos, what can I say that I haven't already said.

Don't approve of the crass language, but to be fair to the Torygraph, having a Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer who appears to have said what he's said about former members of the IRA, and seems a bit of a commie to boot, is pretty 'off the scale' to most people, myself included. I never thought I could miss Ed Balls so quickly.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 21:44 
Gogmagog

I don't understand what tax credits are

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:02 
Gogmagog

Not sure if a softly softly approach at PMQs is the best idea. At best, it'd be like playing a positional passing game in Rocket Ball with Beex. At worst, Cameron could eviscerated him but I agree with the smart money that the best play is to use the disquiet in the Labour ranks to stick the thin end of the (red) wedge in and then softly hammer it home.

I like PMQs . I like it because the put downs, the written answers and the jeering.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:11 
Sleepyhead

It literally doesn't matter what anyone says in PMQs even one jot. The papers will report what they want to report. Cameron could black up and call Dianne Abbott a dirty nigger, and The Sun would report that Corbyn was a disaster.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:15 
Unpossible!

Who cares if he didn't sing the anthem, seriously. What a pathetic state of affairs the British media has become

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
Who cares if he didn't sing the anthem, seriously.

He does - he cares an enormous amount, otherwise he'd have sung it. He knew it would be noticed, he knew it would be reported on, he knew a good chuck of the population would think it a dickish move, so why he did it is a very interesting question.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:05 

WTFF? He is an atheist and a republican. I know that if I am in a church for a funeral or whatever it feels far more disrespectful to believers for me to stand there not-even-half-heartedly mumbling along with it all than to simply stay silent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:09 
sneering elitist

The more I hear about him, the more I like the guy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:10 

DavPaz wrote:
Who cares if he didn't sing the anthem, seriously. What a pathetic state of affairs the British media has become

Hmm, I disagree, even as someone who isn't particularly keen on the concept or actuality of the British Monarchy (but mindful of even less palatable alternatives).

To my mind, this was, I think, a commemorative of those valiant souls who gave their lives to the British State as part of the Battle of Britain, precisely so that people like Corbyn could enjoy the type of freedoms he is only too happy to exercise with his tediously frequent dissents. The British Anthem would've very much mattered to them (and very likely their survivors and still living comrades), so y'know, the decent thing to have done and in all recognition of their great sacrifice and sensibilities, would've been for Corbyn to sing the bloody song with them? Pfft, but no, it's all 'yeah I know you gave your lives in your 20s, but it's beneath my precious little principles to sing the Anthem with your comrades'. Perhaps the bearded, scruffy twat shouldn't have turned up at all then in that case, rather than piss them all off with this petulant little display?

In doing this, I personally think he's shown no decorum or sensitivity at all; it's an uncomfortable reminder of Michael Foot turning up to a Remembrance Memorial in his old duffle coat, except at least he bloody sang IIRC (and didn't hang out with Gerry Adams). He's already been openly condemned this morning by members of his own front bench and there are loud murmurs now afoot of more progressive Labour MPs crossing the floor to the Tories... let's see how he fares during PMQs, I'm betting 'damp squib' but we'll see.

I wonder how many of those Labour supporters will be 'ecstatic to have Corbyn elected' by Christmas - or even by the end of this month... not many I should think :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:12 
Gogmagog

completely unrelated but BG is spot on with why someone in public might not want to have a sing song

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:14 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Who cares if he didn't sing the anthem, seriously.

He does - he cares an enormous amount, otherwise he'd have sung it. He knew it would be noticed, he knew it would be reported on, he knew a good chuck of the population would think it a dickish move, so why he did it is a very interesting question.

If he had sung it then there would have been a scandal that he's a hypocrite, and toadying up to The Queen, and disrespecting servicemen by telling lies about not being religious or a monarchist, etc.

I think that knowing he would be crucified either way, taking the route in which he actually believes is eminently sensible.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:04 
Legendary Boogeyman

While the papers will shriek on it tediously, I can only respect Corbyn for sticking to his principles on choosing not to sing simply to placate a public perception and the media.

Silently showing respect, great. I don't know if he's an atheist but as a republican I can see why he wouldn't sing 'God save the Queen'. As an atheist that supports the abolition of the monarchy I don't sing it either.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:13 
SavyGamer

Yeah it is pretty clear that certain corners of the media are going for the jugular, they want to crucify him no matter what he does. Attempting to appease the media didn't really get Gordon Brown or Ed Miliband very far, did it? Might as well just stick to his principals.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:15 
Gogmagog

LewieP wrote:
Yeah it is pretty clear that certain corners of the media are going for the jugular, they want to crucify him no matter what he does. Attempting to appease the media didn't really get Gordon Brown or Ed Miliband very far, did it? Might as well just stick to his principals.

I think it makes him look obstinate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:24 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
LewieP wrote:

Apparently he just said he'd take "full part" next time anthem singing is deemed appropriate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:26 

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
LewieP wrote:

Apparently he just said he'd take "full part" next time anthem singing is deemed appropriate.

Heh, so he hasn't even got moral consistency on his side.
What an utter bumbling twat.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:32 
Gogmagog

Cavey wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
LewieP wrote:

It is a rookie error. To change his mind would be inconsistent, to stick with not singing would be obstinate.

Best have avoid the situation in the first place as it has affected the team's a bit to score big points on last night's Tory rebellion.

I should work in this kind of field, me, anticipating problems rather than mopping them up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:35 

MaliA wrote:
Cavey wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
LewieP wrote:

It is a rookie error. To change his mind would be inconsistent, to stick with not singing would be obstinate.

Best have avoid the situation in the first place as it has affected the team's a bit to score big points on last night's Tory rebellion.

I should work in this kind of field, me, anticipating problems rather than mopping them up.

Yep. See my earlier post above :) (which wasn't there when I first posted as I was out and about picking up this 911 (991.1)C2GTS which is rather fab :D )

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:38 

Also to add: thinking about it, this is just so typical of Corbyn and his 32-year luxury of being able to do precisely what he bloody well wants, because he didn't matter/no-one was listening to him. Consensus politics, collective responsibility...? Pfft, like he's ever had to care about either.

But, he's going on a crash course now though alright - grown up time now.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:55 

This is what he said:

"I was at the Battle of Britain memorial yesterday. I was there out of respect for that amazing moment in British history. I was also thinking about my family, my mum and dad who were there at that time in London and who worked as air raid wardens during the Blitz. I was thinking about them. It was a respectful ceremony, and I stood in respect throughout it.
"I am going to be at many events and I will take part fully in those events. I don't see a problem about this. I was there and I will show my respect in the proper way at all future events. The proper way is to take a full part in it and I will take a full part."

It's not a prepared statement and it's pretty ambiguous.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:01 
Legendary Boogeyman

Oh dear. He will need to getting used to handling these kind of teacup storms to avoid them blowing up and turning into a PR nightmare. Flip-flop you don't.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:10 
Legendary Boogeyman

Again, in fairness to Corbyn here - he's doing well in PMQs. Nothing inflammatory, reiterating a commitment to sensible adult behaviour during the questioning, and sourcing the questions from canvassing the public. Obviously directed along the lines he wishes to question - mostly housing, but being able to cite specific examples with quotes from real people - that's a winner.

Cameron is prepped however, and has convincing answers. If the rest of the MPs could pipe down with their generic jeering and cheering it would be better still.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

If the rest of the MPs could pipe down with their generic jeering and cheering it would be better still.

Jesus, that pissed me off. Nothing wrong with a quick "hear, hear" if you agree with something, but fuck off with your constant braying, you cunts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

On that - why aren't they allowed to applaud by clapping?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 13:02 
Legendary Boogeyman

Tradition innit, not that it stops those SNP twats from doing it as often as they like. Nothing but carping about TEH VOWS from them today.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 13:20 
Sleepyhead

Again, in fairness to Corbyn here - he's doing well in PMQs. Nothing inflammatory, reiterating a commitment to sensible adult behaviour during the questioning, and sourcing the questions from canvassing the public. Obviously directed along the lines he wishes to question - mostly housing, but being able to cite specific examples with quotes from real people - that's a winner.

Cameron is prepped however, and has convincing answers. If the rest of the MPs could pipe down with their generic jeering and cheering it would be better still.

Who are you and what have you done with EBG?

:DD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 13:27 
Legendary Boogeyman

I'm not voting from him, but in isolation it was a competent presentation that's already left people saying 'Hmm, that was a bit different'. It even had the gurning cunts of the Daily Politics show a bit muted in response.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 17:56 

Meanwhile, back in the real world, the economic recovery marches on apace:

Quote:
Including bonuses, average weekly earnings grew by 2.9%, although this was lower than the 3.3% growth rate seen in the three months to May.

"The long-awaited upturn in pay, which has been the missing element of the UK's economic recovery, looks to be finally upon us, reviving the prospect of a rate hike by the end of the year," said Chris Williamson, chief economist at Markit.

"Strip out the public sector, and private sector pay rose at an annual rate of 3.4% (both including and excluding bonuses) in the three months to July.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34267120

Tchoh! Those useless, evil, bastard Tories eh? ;)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 18:00 
Sleepyhead

Don't forget the growth in unemployment too!

I'd be interested to see where the growth fits exactly, in terms of relative wealth. Is is evenly distributed, concentrated in the higher echelons, or more focused at lower wage earners.

Ideally it would be the first or third of those options.

Reply to topic  [ 14364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 288  Next