Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 287  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 19:43 

Curiosity wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Or - Cavey should come to the fucking cottage and there would be all the time in the world for chat!

I'd be tarred and feathered! :D

Seriously, I'd love to come (assuming that would be ok with everyone as, all joking aside, I would not want to piss any of the 'regulars' off :) ), but things are a tad sticky work-wise and I need to be around here. Assuming it goes ahead, I'd love to make a comedy appearance at the next BeexBBQ - I'll bring my own village stocks so people can chuck rotten fruit at me. :)

Don't be ridiculous! You have to come to something! Hell, even if it's only drinks in London.

:)

Cheers mate.
I did try to meet Grim.. and Craster once, after the Stones gig.
Prob just as well it didn't materialise; man, Mrs C and I were absolutely trollied. :)

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 20:09 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Cavey wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Or - Cavey should come to the fucking cottage and there would be all the time in the world for chat!

I'd be tarred and feathered! :D

Seriously, I'd love to come (assuming that would be ok with everyone as, all joking aside, I would not want to piss any of the 'regulars' off :) ), but things are a tad sticky work-wise and I need to be around here. Assuming it goes ahead, I'd love to make a comedy appearance at the next BeexBBQ - I'll bring my own village stocks so people can chuck rotten fruit at me. :)

Don't be ridiculous! You have to come to something! Hell, even if it's only drinks in London.

Cheers mate.
I did try to meet Grim.. and Craster once, after the Stones gig.
Prob just as well it didn't materialise; man, Mrs C and I were absolutely trollied. :)

You didn't see how spectacularly wankered we all were while they waited to meet you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 20:10 

Cavey wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Hey I'm just being empirical.

What, that load of nit-picking bollocks?
In your mind, Doc, you think picking a few semantic holes in the broad-brush arguments of others with far less time on their hands than you amounts to "winning the argument" (bless).

Probably why EBG routinely hands your ass back to you in a sling, I guess.

I'll come to you presently, but you'll excuse me if I address earlier posts firsts. Yours won't take long.

If that's your attitude, don't bother, as I won't be reading it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 20:14 

Hearthly wrote:
Sorry Cavey but I must say that whilst I do have the utmost respect for you and always have, your recent comments to this thread are absolutely stretching that to breaking point, and I'm finding those comments borderline repugnant, if I'm honest.

I wouldn't agree with the invective used by markg but I can understand and sympathise with his absolute 'what the fuck?' reaction to some of the bile and triumphalist vitriol you're spewing.

To suggest that the Labour party have 'fucked up everything they've ever touched' is to deny both history and human decency.

You know I too hold you in the greatest respect. Why? You're an interesting, intelligent, kind and funny guy. I've known you well over 10 years; I know your background (upon which I have much in common as you know); I know where you're coming from. Accordingly, in keeping with almost everyone else here for that matter, whilst I think your politics and suggested methodologies are totally and diametrically incorrect, for obvious empirical reasons (as even a very casual glance around the globe will surely tell you, not least 22 miles across the English Channel) - I have never, nor will I ever doubt your sincerity or good faith.

Knowing this, and your knowledge of me also, it is somewhat galling (to say the least) to realise that you doubt MY reasons for believing in the cold, dispassionate logic and efficacy of methodologies and politics that I genuinely believe, as incredulous as you may well be, would (and do) benefit the most people, achieve the optimal results? I mean really, do you think I want to protect the often entirely undeserving and amoral rich, at the expense of the poor and disadvantaged? You mention the terrible ills and provocations I have supposedly wrought in my posts earlier, but frankly it should be me who's getting pissed off at this juncture?

This 'wtf' reaction you mention; this supposed 'bile' and 'vitriol'. I mean, what? I'm sorry, but for all the revisionist bullshit of hardcore Labour supporters, Labour DID wreck the economy of this nation, in fact they very nearly destroyed it, as well as having the worst foreign policy since Suez. That is an incontrovertible, absolute FACT - it is the job of government to regulate the banks and financial sector; they failed to do so and the consequences (still ongoing) could have hardly been more dire. So, all those supposed "good" things that they did were all wiped out in an instant, and then some. They even themselves had to apologise for it (along with their disastrous immigration policy).

Quote:
no amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party that inflicted those bitter experiences on me. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin.

The 'bitter experiences' the former Labour minister for health recounts were rooted in a poverty stricken childhood in South Wales, when working class families such as his lived a precarious existence on the precipice of disaster and destitution without an NHS or welfare state to protect them. Those things arrived in Britain courtesy of the 1945 Labour government, of which he was a key member, and in 2014 are in the process of being rolled back.

You reckon those words are 'yet to be bettered', basically a nasty, bitter, deeply prejudiced man decrying every single Tory who ever lived, regardless of their deeds, achievements and kindnesses as 'lower than vermin', gleefully describing his 'burning hatred'? I mean seriously, you want me to respond to this?

Personally I think this says it all. In my view, anyone with such views, past or present and for whatever reason, however justified they might think they are, ought to be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

There are many well meaning, entirely decent Tory voters and party members, just as there are Liberals and Labour. To suggest otherwise is divisive, irrational and above all, idiotic.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 20:15 
Legendary Boogeyman

Don't worry Cavey, he definitely doesn't read my posts either. :hat:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 20:16 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Hey I'm just being empirical.

What, that load of nit-picking bollocks?
In your mind, Doc, you think picking a few semantic holes in the broad-brush arguments of others with far less time on their hands than you amounts to "winning the argument" (bless).

Probably why EBG routinely hands your ass back to you in a sling, I guess.

I'll come to you presently, but you'll excuse me if I address earlier posts firsts. Yours won't take long.

If that's your attitude, don't bother, as I won't be reading it.

OK. Well, if there is a next time, a bit less of the triumphalist "Hey, I'm just being empirical" piss-taking before I've even had a chance to respond, might be good.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 20:42 

Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
like all anyone needs to do to earn that sort of wage is to just be an honest and hard worker

This is the horrible lie that America seems to have successfully sold most of it's population and it's fucking heart-breaking to see it accepted.

I never said, of course, that "all anyone needs is to be an honest and hard worker" - total straw man, there.
Of course hard work is important, but so is a bit of good fortune, a little charm where it's needed and above all, working smart.

By the way, I'm not claiming to be Richard Branson or anything. I'm proud of the things I've managed to achieve in my life for sure, but I've made LOADS of mistakes and it's not as though I'm some bloody Tycoon the next Alan Sugar ffs. I never said I was.

Quote:
Prediction: not that I'll be reading it but Cavey will be right back here with some extended bullshit narrative about how terrible his upbringing was and/or how much he had to struggle to get everything he's ever had without once actually taking on board anything I've said.

No idea where you're coming from with this; you're very critical of others (especially me) when we don't conduct ourselves on-forum according to the manner you seem to prescribe a lot of the time, yet here you are starting with "not that I'll be reading it" [classic passive-aggressive] then bringing my 'upbringing' into an argument about something I never even bloody said [anyone can make it with hard work alone].

FYI my upbringing was truncated somewhat early at 16; unfortunately for me, my old man saw and had done to him some pretty bad stuff in Hungary's failed '57 uprising and the ensuing (undiagnosed) PTSD played out a rather unfortunate set of consequences. On the upside, though, this gave me an iron resolve to never do this to my own kids, and also to do my best to make a success of my life. First objective 100% achieved, second 50% achieved. One and a half out of two ain't too bad.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 20:43 

Grim... wrote:
What a pile of shit.

Even disregarding the fact that a whole load of people don't live in countries that give them the things you listed, and the ones that do share those things with millions of others, you're seriously suggesting that working hard has nothing to do with becoming successful?

:this:

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 20:43 

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Fuck you, successful people. You don't deserve it.

The liberals have made it quite clear that earning money is evil, and that you should be ashamed that you went to school, learned diligently, and then applied that knowledge in the advancement of a career. Such capitalist thinking must be stopped - everyone should get a fair share of everything regardless of how hard they work because to imply that low-income earners are anything other than a hapless victims of society's inequality makes you patronisingly classist and out-of-touch with reality.

People therefore must dedicate their lives to working hard and running successful businesses, but at no point should they expect to reap the rewards of their endeavour. They need to be taxed out of proportion to those that don't earn as much and forever be made to feel like they're parasites of human dignity. People are desperate to appear humble, because to evince any pride in your success just makes you a boastful, undeserving cunt.

Or, y'know, we could stop trying to make out it's one extreme or the other and that it's actually a combination of factors. Some silver spooned people do badly and fail at life because they never tried hard. Some people were born without a spoon in the house and get to a very sustainable, decent standard of living purely from their own graft.

The guy behind the counter at McDonalds does work hard. If they're not simply content to take orders and shell out fries all day, they can engage in career progression opportunities and either use that to advance internally or leverage a better position elsewhere, or do something else that's entirely unrelated to customer services.

I respect anyone who has a job, regardless of the job, and I have no respect for anyone that does nothing but fucking whine about how it's society's/the government's/capitalism's fault that they don't own a massive house and drive a fancy car.

Me and my brother had the same opportunities. I worked hard in school, he didn't so much. I went to Uni, he didn't. He worked a series of fairly low-paid jobs in IT and has slowed advanced up over the years, but still earns less than me. He doesn't own a house and struggles to keep on top of his credit cards, but he's doing OK.

My parents 'owned' their own house but always had an overdraft to keep things ticking over. My dad can't afford to retire and is currently working beyond 65. I went to whatever the local school was with no effort to ensure it was either good or bad. On the whole it was entirely average. They didn't help me with my homework, or give me special attention. I went to Uni with almost no money and took the maximum loans and worked up to 3 jobs simultaneously to support myself. I wouldn't cast myself as a rags-to-riches success story by any stretch but I worked hard and have always earned a decent wage. There's a whole other level of people above me who work harder still, with more initiative, and do a whole lot better than me. It would be nice if I earned more, but acknowledge that that's on me and not anyone else's fault.

Yes, it's a huge advantage to be born in the UK, to parents that didn't abuse, starve, or otherwise beat the shit out of me. I've seldom experienced any kind of racial abuse or discrimination, and no single experience of my life has been so traumatic that I've been unable to function. Lucky indeed.

But those huge examples of disadvantage do not provide the excuses for everyone that fails to get ahead. Some people are just fucking lazy, or would rather steal than learn and apply knowledge, or never have enough initiative to do anything other than make do with whatever they're presented with. We're all part-circumstances and part self-application.

I otherwise broadly agree with Cavey. Rewarding hard work and aspiration sound good to me. I don't care if you're an immigrant from abroad either, for the record - if you're here to work hard in an honest job then you're welcome as far as I'm concerned.

:this: :hug:

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 20:52 

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Despite being evil tory scum I agree with all points in your last post, Doc G, with the exception of the final quote. There is no way on earth that the UK economy in any quarter was worth £35bn. That's significantly less than Apples cash pile.

Meh.
Well, the economy grew by 0.9% last quarter, which if extrapolated for a year (optimistic, certainly), gives 3.6% obviously.

However, the point that Gaywood seems to be missing is that, whether it's 2.5%, 3% or 4%, we'd have snapped off anyone's hand who was offering anything like these levels of growth, the creation of this many new jobs from within the private sector and low inflation (not to mention vastly better performance than our Eurozone peers) within just 5 years after Labourmeddon? This is what I mean by nitpicking; never mind the semantics and graphs etc., what about the broad, substantive point?

Of course, Doc totally fails to address the elephant-in-room point that Labour presided over the financial meltdown in the first place by utterly and completely failing to regulate the banks, upon which it was their absolute governmental and statutory duty so to do, for the sake of all of us. Arguing the toss about whether the Tories have actually achieved +3% or +4% growth, against such an absurd backdrop (and then gloating about it), just strikes me as ridiculous, sorry.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 21:08 
Excellent Member

Quote:
However, the point that Gaywood seems to be missing is that, whether it's 2.5%, 3% or 4%, we'd have snapped off anyone's hand who was offering anything like these levels of growth, the creation of this many new jobs from within the private sector and low inflation (not to mention vastly better performance than our Eurozone peers) within just 5 years after Labourmeddon? This is what I mean by nitpicking; never mind the semantics and graphs etc., what about the broad, substantive point?

If we're just referring to returning to pre-crisis GDP levels, note that the US and Germany did it back in 2011 (and the former was hit very hard by the crisis don't forget). Europe currently stagnates due to the Germans making the rest of the EU suffer (so hurrah for not joining the Euro, an opinion I have changed on after empirical data ;)). This is not a wonderful, amazing recovery. It's a recovery, and that's good, but let's also not forget that a lot of austerity measures have been held off until the *next* Parliament, and yet the deficit is *still* higher than the Darling plan of 2010 with no real end in sight. It's good that the UK is no longer in the almost flat-line era of 2011-3 (remember when we were saved a double-dip recession by the power of ONS's choice of significant figures, and how you yourself said on this forum that you agreed with Balls?), but I wouldn't hold it up as much of an unqualified success.

But you and I have been through this time and time again, and we'll never agree, though I don't think either of us is quite right or either of us is quite wrong. One day, when I'm visiting back home, a drink will be required ;)

EDIT: okay, so "might agree with Balls": viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7321&p=643914&hilit=balls#p643914 - but still :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 22:36 
Sleepyhead

Cavey wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Despite being evil tory scum I agree with all points in your last post, Doc G, with the exception of the final quote. There is no way on earth that the UK economy in any quarter was worth £35bn. That's significantly less than Apples cash pile.

Meh.
Well, the economy grew by 0.9% last quarter, which if extrapolated for a year (optimistic, certainly), gives 3.6% obviously.

Of course, Doc totally fails to address the elephant-in-room point that Labour presided over the financial meltdown in the first place by utterly and completely failing to regulate the banks, upon which it was their absolute governmental and statutory duty so to do, for the sake of all of us. Arguing the toss about whether the Tories have actually achieved +3% or +4% growth, against such an absurd backdrop (and then gloating about it), just strikes me as ridiculous, sorry.

You really can't blame the financial crisis on Labour's regulatory policy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 23:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I blame Craster.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 0:02 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That's more reasonable.

Blaming Labour is a bit disingenuous. There was a global failure in financial regulation that, while it very definitely occurred with the knowing acceptance of the labour party, would I very much expect have happened whoever was in power - the City is the UK's golden goose, and there's no way any UK government would have gone against the prevailing global regulatory environment to make it harder for the banks to do business in London.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:18 
Sleepyhead

Cras wrote:
That's more reasonable.

Blaming Labour is a bit disingenuous. There was a global failure in financial regulation that, while it very definitely occurred with the knowing acceptance of the labour party, would I very much expect have happened whoever was in power - the City is the UK's golden goose, and there's no way any UK government would have gone against the prevailing global regulatory environment to make it harder for the banks to do business in London.

Quite. This can be seen by the startling lack of Tory opposition to any deregulation that happened at the time (and what deregulation exactly? Which specific laws were passed that we're talking about?) and the lack of any particular focus on regulation from the Tory party since they came back into office.

At my last employer, our PRA contact was a marine biologist who didn't understand the business at all. Maybe it's now all SAS ninja regulators at the banks, but I very much doubt it.

Most of the regulation and stuff tends to come from Europe. Which makes for an interesting (aka hellish) time if we leave the EU.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:11 

Curiosity wrote:
Cavey wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

Meh.

You really can't blame the financial crisis on Labour's regulatory policy.

Why ever not? Curio, it's the job of the UK government to successfully and effectively regulate the UK financial sector - a huge chunk of the world total and therefore massively influential. Note this is not a matter of my opinion, but absolute, incontrovertible fact.

With the full benefit of hindsight, there can be no argument that they failed to do this, and failed catastrophically - and the resultant (massive) fallout and damage to the UK (and world) economy was, and is, there for all to see.

Of course, it wasn't Labour themselves doing the dodgy deals, selling our grandchildren's futures up the river - that'll be the bankers themselves. But the point is this; they were effectively permitted to do this by poor or non-existent regulation/ignorance/ineptitude.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:29 

Cras wrote:

Now see, this sort of sentiment makes my blood boil. It is a total NON DEFENCE to say "the other lot would've done exactly the same"; can you imagine anything more ridiculous?

Who knows that the Tories, or anyone else would've done? I don't, you don't, no-one does - and besides which, it's totally irrelevant. I might point out that the financial crisis did not occur during their 20-odd year tenure encompassing two recessions (upon which it must've been pretty tempting to spend their way out of and let the City slickers absolutely let rip etc.). I might also mention that Labour gleefully tore down the previous broadly successful regulatory framework and replaced it with three separate bodies (heavily opposed by the Tories as 'folly' at the time) which then went on to inarguably and catastrophically fail etc etc but like I say, so what?

The point is this: Labour were in charge (for a decade); these catastrophic failings and errors are theirs and theirs alone and it's utterly absurd to say 'the other guy would've dun it guv'nor'. Could you imagine using this as a defence as an individual, say, if you'd personally presided over the complete collapse of a hitherto massively successful PLC, in answer to your shareholders or a court? Lol, I think not.

Above all, it's the supreme conceit and complete failure of the political Left to face up to the inarguable consequences of their (entirely well-meaning) actions that infuriates me, and this is but one example.

No right-minded, sane person would ever compare where we were in 1997 to where we ended up in 2008-9 (including, I might add, soaring youth unemployment and massively diverged low vs. high earners pay gap) and say 'yeah, but Labour have done some good, it's beneath common decency to say otherwise'...?

By the same token, that sane, level-headed person couldn't possibly then compare where we were in 2008-9 to where we are now in 2014 and say anything other than 'wow, it's far from perfect but it's one helluva improvement'.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:33 
Hello Hello Hello

Cavey wrote:
Why ever not? Curio, it's the job of the UK government to successfully and effectively regulate the UK financial sector - a huge chunk of the world total and therefore massively influential. Note this is not a matter of my opinion, but absolute, incontrovertible fact.

With the full benefit of hindsight, there can be no argument that they failed to do this, and failed catastrophically - and the resultant (massive) fallout and damage to the UK (and world) economy was, and is, there for all to see.

Of course, it wasn't Labour themselves doing the dodgy deals, selling our grandchildren's futures up the river - that'll be the bankers themselves. But the point is this; they were effectively permitted to do this by poor or non-existent regulation/ignorance/ineptitude.

But Labour were just continuing the policies of the Tories before them, indeed they sold themselves very much on being 'business friendly' and 'city friendly'.

The whole deregulation bandwagon of the financial system started back in the Reagan/Thatcher era and continued unabated throughout the 80s, 90s and 00s. Do you honestly think the Tories would have regulated the city any differently or more diligently than the Blair governments did?

Besides which, this was a global financial collapse that started in the States, are you blaming all of that on Gordon Brown?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:42 

Hearthly wrote:
But Labour were just continuing the policies of the Tories before them, indeed they sold themselves very much on being 'business friendly' and 'city friendly'.

No they weren't. You got the bit about their tearing down the previous regulatory framework which, whatever else it may or may not have been, it had entirely avoided a 2008 style meltdown for fully 12 years since the 1985 'Big Bang', and (despite Tory opposition) replaced it with a multi-responsibility bunch of bodies that inarguably and with the full benefit of indisputable hindsight did NOT work?

This is not "continuing the policies of the Tories before them". But even if it was, so what? We're back to the 'the other guy would've done the same, guv' non-defence again. Will you EVER accept the truth and reality of this situation, or will you continue to delude yourself and others that somehow this was a "good" government, as opposed to a total disaster that cost millions of ordinary people their livelihoods?

Quote:
The whole deregulation bandwagon of the financial system started back in the Reagan/Thatcher era and continued unabated throughout the 80s, 90s and 00s. Do you honestly think the Tories would have regulated the city any differently or more diligently than the Blair governments did?

Oh God, that old chestnut - it was the Tories' fault because of deregulation in 1985, fully 12 years before Labour even came into power, and they themselves had been in power for 11 years after that, with plenty of time to reverse anything that needed to be done. I mean, it's just laughable twaddle. This isn't how the world works.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:55 
Excellent Member

Changing the topic to international events see that North Korean leader Kim Jong has finally made a public appearance after some weeks out of the spotlight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-29608096

Lot of speculation as to where he has been, probably been sat at home in his pants watching Breaking Bad :DD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:56 
Excellent Member

Cavey wrote:
Now see, this sort of sentiment makes my blood boil. It is a total NON DEFENCE to say "the other lot would've done exactly the same"

It's a non-defence against the success of the policies at time, absolutely. It is though a pretty good defence against the specific proposition that 'the other lot' are generally a much better bet, which is what you keep saying. This entire conversation, which keeps happening on this thread, is due to you continually trying to say that voting for Labour is stupid because of the global financial crisis. Now, even ignoring the implication of the word 'global' in that phrase, it's only an argument to vote for the Tories if there's a reasonable belief they'd have acted differently; and you're the only one here who believes that so every time you trot it out people respond the same way.

Essentially this isn't a conversation about regulation or policy, it's about probable Tory vs Labour actions and it's that specific conversation because you yourself keep framing it that way. Every time you come out with this it's going to have the same result, and as no one's likely to shift their position it's going to be the same round and round argument every time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:16 
Excellent Member

I don't like Labour at all. However I would agree that the "slacker" banking rules in the UK would not have been changed under a Conservative government prior to the crisis.

Even now there is only token banking regulation and a huge resistance to get in line with EU banking regulations. Even since the crisis a number of banks have been caught out bending the rules and other than some fines that they can easily afford nothing has changed.

What has changed is the banks have gone to the other end of the scale and tightened up mortgage lending which has lead to more renting, so now we have fees of £500 or more to rent a house were before it was maybe £50 as well as no extra regulation to take account of the growth in this market.

I would also think that the austerity measures would not have been much different either if the roles where reversed, maybe Labour would have hit the rich\banks a bit more, but in reality the finances were fucked and measures of some sort that reduced the government debt were needed.

With Labour they tax the rich and big companies who can just afford to avoid it, with Conservative the look to reduce the social security costs, which is some cases have been valid notability in my opinion the housing benefit cap, other measures such as the bedroom tax are just stupid as there are simple not enough houses for people to swap.

What never changes in the burden put on the middle, not sure what income qualifies you for this band, but I would consider myself in this. I have a mortgage and a management job, 2 cars and don't really have any issues paying to live reasonable well.

This group is screwed through taxes both direct and indirect which you can argue is fair as we earn more, however the very rich avoid tax as they have enough money to make the cost of avoidance worthwhile.

I don't have an issue paying my share, what I take issue with is what I get for it. My street is full of potholes, the council starting charging me £80 a year for 2 garden waste bins as the current government blocked any council tax increase. I'm faced with sending my son to private school which will not be easy to finance as the local schools are so shit and I haven't got a cat in hells change of getting him into the better ones.

I would have been a conservative voter no problem, now I don't view them as any better than Labour, what finally did it for me was Family Allowance, I never had it and don't need it, but when Cameron said it was fair that a single income family on £50K got nothing whilst a dual income family on 40K each did I just thought you can't even add up you prick.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:11 
Sleepyhead

Cavey, for me your logic just doesn't add up.

Yes, Labour were in charge during the global financial crisis, but that doesn't mean someone else would have avoided it completely. Can you point to anything that shows the Tories were vehemently opposed to Blair and Brown and their handling of The City and banks? Can you point to something, anything, that indicates that the Coalition have radically altered the system so that such a thing could never again happen?

It's like saying that all Tory health policies are forever null and void because under the Tory government a single GP murdered over 250 patients of his. The government has an absolute responsibility to ensure the safety and lives of the population, and under a Tory government you had the worst serial killer in British history operating right under their noses! Within one year of Labour winning the election Harold Shipman was caught and brought to justice.

Does that mean that under Labour he would never have been allowed to kill those people? I would say that's a ridiculous supposition, but it's the exact logic you are using.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:53 

Sorry Curio, my lamp burns very, very low these days and besides, I didn't want to detract from your Cottage celebrations with politicals that very, very few round here want to hear.

Look, I've already dealt with this whole ludicrous hypothetical of what the Tories would, or would not have done, had they been in power between 1997-2008. As I've already said, I could well speculate that the Tories wouldn't have been so stupid and financially wet between the ears so as to tear down what had broadly been a good-performing financial regulatory framework and replace it with three separate bodies which demonstrably and unequivocally did NOT work (and besides, the Tories vehemently opposed all this at the time, too). I could also point to the fact that, despite two recessions, at no point did this financial meltdown occur under the Tories' 20-odd year administration (Thatcher famously quoting 'you cannot buy your way out of recession'). Like I have said, though, it is all completely immaterial - the issue of whether the Tories would have done the same is ultimately unknowable.

People like Bamba, Heathly et al love to try to widen the debate; at no time have I made any claims here about what the Tories WOULD have done, merely what Labour DID do, and what their responsibilities inarguably were in respect of holding the UK financial sector in check and to account. That they did not was of huge negative consequence to the UK - all of us, basically (most especially the poor) - and in fact the entire world. Faced with these facts, there is always this straw-manning and grievance-hunting bullshit as well (e.g. markg's Daily Mail gags), which in the end, I just tire of.

I mean fuck me, it's not like I'm the one with egg on my face here, is it? I'm the one, pretty much a lone voice, who has been saying that actually, these policies are correct and will work. I've been called all manner of cunts, stupid, whatever but hey, guess what eh? The UK is now the fastest growing developed economy; fully TWO MILLION new private sector jobs have been created since 2010 (so much for Stu's "there's no jobs!!1" bullshit I had to endure for all those years over a WoS, and here too from others... this is what I mean by being EMPIRICAL Gaywood. There WERE, AND ARE jobs).

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/impr ... ector-jobs

It's this whole revisionist self-delusion that I cannot stand; it reminds me very much of the Scottish independence debate. For years - at least since 2005 from memory and probably even before then if I'm honest, I've been telling the likes of Stu and others that it will never happen, the Scottish people will see sense at the end of the day and there are too many people with too much to lose. It's all very well if you spend your days huddled by a glowing computer screen living off benefits and with no kids or family support, no mortgage to pay etc., but for real people with real lives, real jobs...? Nah.

Now, with the referendum ink not even dry, I note there's talk of "IndyRef 2" within months. I mean I ask you, wtf? I've come to the conclusion that to these people, much like dyed-in-the-wool left wingers, this is a de facto belief system, possibly even pseudo religion? They absolutely *cannot face* the (beautiful) empirical truth that they have been *proven* wrong, time and yet time again?

Me? I truly cannot conceive of being like this, less still understand it, but one thing is for certain: it sure is facking tedious. I'm not a patient man at the best of times, and frankly you can only lead a horse to water for the hundredth fecking time.

I certainly haven't got you in mind here mate, or people like Peter St John, but in general terms mate it's just bored me shitless in the end. Ultimately I cannot be arsed arguing with the utterly close-minded.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:05 
Sleepyhead

Fair enough.

I think it's that there is a feeling among a lot of people that there was a grenade being passed around that happened to go off at a specific time, and that passing the entirety of he blame on to that person is a little unfair.

Whilst we can hypothesise about what the Tories would have done until the cows come home, as far as I'm aware they didn't really oppose the reforms, haven't done much in the way of response (the economy is apparently recovering, but how much actual reversing of the policies has occurred? If the answer is loads then fair enough) and the deregulation continues, as they've taken a hatchet to the pensions regulations to come up with a populist headline.

I think whilst you are incorrectly painted by some as a True Blue Tory (which you aren't), you do always seem hyper-critical of Labour. I think you said something about them never having achieved anything, which overlooks the likes of the NHS, workers rights, and more recently peace in Northern Ireland, increase in gay rights, minimum wages, phenomenal reductions in child poverty, abstention from joining the Eurozone, and some other stuff (and a ton of awful shit).

Dunno what my point here is, to be honest.

:DD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:52 
Legendary Boogeyman

Cavey wrote:
Now, with the referendum ink not even dry, I note there's talk of "IndyRef 2" within months. I mean I ask you, wtf? I've come to the conclusion that to these people, much like dyed-in-the-wool left wingers, this is a de facto belief system, possibly even pseudo religion?

The lives of these people are very small. They can't think outside of their very limited tribal box. The world ends at the borders of Scotland and everything else is immaterial except what they want and demand in increasingly shrill tones. They were screaming BETRAYAL within 4 days of the result and they'll keep screaming it regardless of whatever the outcome of the devolution negotiations is.

Those people live limited, narrow-minded and miserable lives in a culture of blaming others for everything they can't face up to themselves. It's pathetic, dim-witted, and held up by the fact that there exist many, many thousands others that are exactly the same way.

The point is Cavey, you have to ignore them because they're ultimately beneath your notice. They'll spent their lives throwing mud around in their back garden while the rest of us are doing other shit that doesn't revolve around impotent, flailing bitterness.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 19:03 

Curiosity wrote:
I think it's that there is a feeling among a lot of people that there was a grenade being passed around that happened to go off at a specific time, and that passing the entirety of he blame on to that person is a little unfair.

Mate, as I've said, for that to be true, the "grenade" you speak of would have to have been "passed around" for fully 11 years (i.e. from 1997 onwards, until 2008 when the crash actually occurred).

That's just ridiculous, sorry. If something was wrong and needed fixing, over a decade seems like plenty time enough for a competent government to identify the problem and come up with the necessary solution. Labour didn't exactly hide their supposed economic credentials under a bushel, remember - as I've said repeatedly, they saw fit to tear down all the regulatory framework etc. the minute they came into office, with disastrous results.

For me, this all comes back to the culpability or otherwise of the Left. In management terms, it's a nonsense to blame someone - or a previous management/board - that you replaced a decade or more ago (or for that matter, claim "they would have done the same as me" as your defence). I mean, it's all just so fucking ludicrous/mickey mouse?

Honestly, trying to explain this to some people around here? (Not you :) It's like trying to delicately negotiate an explanation to a pouting 8-year old that actually, Santa Claus doesn't really exist. Frankly with the same end result half the time. ;)

Quote:
Whilst we can hypothesise about what the Tories would have done until the cows come home,

Pointless

Quote:
as far as I'm aware they didn't really oppose the reforms,

Ahem, they most certainly did oppose Labour's regulatory and BoE changes mate, vehemently so in fact (as I've said)

Quote:
haven't done much in the way of response

Haven't done much? Apart from axing 700,000 public sector jobs and creating the right economic conditions to create 2,000,000 new private sector jobs since 2010? Delivering the fastest growing developed economy, now larger than pre-crash size and with more people than ever in work, just a few years after total meltdown?

Yeah, those evil tories huh. Honestly mate, just what do they have to do to keep you peeps happy? If someone had offered me this in 2010, I would not have believed it was possible. But like I say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating; no-one can deny the empirical PROOF of the efficacy of these austerity policies.

Quote:
I think whilst you are incorrectly painted by some as a True Blue Tory (which you aren't), you do always seem hyper-critical of Labour.

Curio, I am an old school Patrician Tory; possibly not even worthy of the title "Tory" at all. I could sit very comfortably on the right wing of the Liberal Democrat Party, most especially in all matters besides economic policy.

You want "True Blue Tory", speak to Mrs C.... she regards me as a yellow-livered Liberal. But compared to most of you guys, EBG and APoD excepted ( :) ), I must look like fecking Brown Shirt. :D

Quote:
I think you said something about them never having achieved anything, which overlooks the likes of the NHS, workers rights, and more recently peace in Northern Ireland, increase in gay rights, minimum wages, phenomenal reductions in child poverty, abstention from joining the Eurozone, and some other stuff (and a ton of awful shit).

I'll concede the NI, keeping us out of the Euro (although Blair wanted us in, the twat) and gay stuff. :)
The point I was making, though, is that there's little point in lifting people out of (supposed) poverty, only to dump 'em all back in it - and more besides - because you've failed to regulate the banks and as a result, have screwed the entire economy upon which everything else flows from.

It's a simple point - "It's the economy, stupid"

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 19:07 

The point is Cavey, you have to ignore them because they're ultimately beneath your notice. They'll spent their lives throwing mud around in their back garden while the rest of us are doing other shit that doesn't revolve around impotent, flailing bitterness.

I know you're right; I've always been a great believer in rigorous, fair debate - but what I've come to realise is this: there are those who, no matter how compelling or damning the empirical evidence, simply will not (indeed cannot, for reasons of loss of face, conceit and even faith) abandon their long-cherished ideologies. They won't thank you for being right and/or being shown to be right over time, they'll truly loathe you for it in fact.

'Tis sad yet true; ignore really is the best option all round, even though that goes against every fibre of my being. :(

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 19:33 
Sleepyhead

Fun stuff. Of course I disagree with the recovery figures, because you can paint stats in various ways and in a lot of measures that matter we're still a bit buggered. Credit for what they have done, for sure, but they still (the coalition) fell short of their own targets in pretty much all respects regarding the deficit etc.

We shall see how the recovery continues. Arguably too early to say if it is sustainable or on another precipice.

ANYWAY!

Another topic.

EU - in or out? What say the great sages of the forum?

I am personally in favour of staying, though we do need to consider all the aspects of the immigration debate.

I am interested to hear other opinions, and am going to a lecture tomorrow by the Chairman of the Policy & Resources Committee for the Corporation of London. What interests me particularly about this is that most people in the business world seem to be heavily in favour of staying in the EU for the trade advantages and other such things. Yet there's a Euro-sceptic front with Farage et al who are forcing the Tories, traditionally the party of big business, to consider leaving the EU, or at least having a referendum.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a minority government next term, but the referendum still happens, or a Tory coalition and it happens, or even a Tory majority the way things are headed. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if Cameron pacified the sceptics and the populist vote with a referendum that he would hope actually keeps us in the EU. That would be proper cake and eat it politics for the second time in quick succession (if you count Scotland).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 19:35 
Hello Hello Hello

And yet then there's ZOMG EMPIRICAL WOTSITS whereby tax receipts have risen by just 0.1% despite us being in the middle of this amazing recovery, and government borrowing is £5.4bn more than it was at this time last year.

#axzz3GtpwM6Sa">http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4db294c0-5925 ... z3GtpwM6Sa

A lot of this is to do, of course, with the fact that an awful lot of these much-heralded two million new jobs are part-time/zero hour contracts and/or so shit paid that the lucky employee doesn't earn enough to pay any tax, or they're part of this new entrepreneurial army of the self-employed who are basically coerced by unscrupulous employers to declare themselves as being self-employed, or just scratching by as best they can because it's their only option.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news ... s-obr.html

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -fairytale

I agree with you on one thing though Cavey, we're never going to agree on this.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 19:43 
ugvm'er at heart...

In the EU, there is no downside to being in and only frothing cybernats would argue otherwise. It reminds me of another recent vote...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 19:59 
Gogmagog

In Europe, but out of the Euro. Advantages are far too many to be out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 20:40 
Legendary Boogeyman

When the coming EU in/out debate begins in earnest it'll be an interesting time, because I'm completely ambivalent about it. If a referendum does happen in 2017 I have absolutely no idea how I'd vote yet. That's palpably exciting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 20:56 
Sleepyhead

MaliA wrote:
In Europe, but out of the Euro. Advantages are far too many to be out.

Definitely out of the Euro. Using a currency you have no control of has proven to be a bad idea in areas where there are many competing ideologies in many different areas, all coming in and out of power at different times.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:33 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:32 
Excellent Member

When the coming EU in/out debate begins in earnest it'll be an interesting time, because I'm completely ambivalent about it. If a referendum does happen in 2017 I have absolutely no idea how I'd vote yet. That's palpably exciting.

Problem for me with this is that I never see anything positive as to why the UK should remain. All the news is on what a gravy train the parliament is as well as perceived interference on UK laws.

You do have to ask yourself why, a recent one was that hoovers will have to be a certain wattage. Totally trivial in that you buy a hoover every 5 years or more, still I can't help thinking who decided this and what for.

The UK doesn't help the perception in that we apply every crackpot rule and law, a lot of the smaller EU member states ignore what doesn't suit them.

Then immigration, not sure this is the EU's fault. There are 100's of people at Calais who I guess have travelled through the EU to get there. They are camped out trying to get into the UK. We should ask why they don't want to stay in France and was is attracting people here. If its true that the UK is a soft benefits target they we should change this. We must pay out more or make it easier that France if all those people are trying to get here.

I don't see any obvious benefits, we appear to put up with all the rules, but we don't get any benefits especially the social ones they have in the EU on holidays and employment rights.

I'm like you at this point re a vote completely ambivalent.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:07 

I don't know how I'd vote either. Free movement of goods and people across the continent is an outstanding acheivement and we should never give up on that. Moreover, EU membership encourages the central and eastern countires to reform and feel part of the 'club', especially at a time when the Russian bear is getting restless. A NATO for civil life.

Yet, at the same time, I perceive the EU institutions as distant, remote, bureaucratic, and corrupt. It's tricky to uncover exactly which powers are held by which bodies, which are reserved to the member countries, and which are shared. It's extremely difficult to identify who is responsible for what, and when policy comes in, often years after it was first suggested and approved, mroe or less impossible to overturn. The complex, secretive nature makes it a boon for lobbysists and insiders, but excludes the rest. This is the ideal environment for corruption. To me, all this goes against what I consider a key principle of good governance: it is utterly unclear who is responsible for something, how to influence them, and how to kick them out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:24 
Excellent Member

Kern wrote:

I don't know how I'd vote either. Free movement of goods and people across the continent is an outstanding acheivement and we should never give up on that. Moreover, EU membership encourages the central and eastern countires to reform and feel part of the 'club', especially at a time when the Russian bear is getting restless. A NATO for civil life.

Yet, at the same time, I perceive the EU institutions as distant, remote, bureaucratic, and corrupt. It's tricky to uncover exactly which powers are held by which bodies, which are reserved to the member countries, and which are shared. It's extremely difficult to identify who is responsible for what, and when policy comes in, often years after it was first suggested and approved, mroe or less impossible to overturn. The complex, secretive nature makes it a boon for lobbysists and insiders, but excludes the rest. This is the ideal environment for corruption. To me, all this goes against what I consider a key principle of good governance: it is utterly unclear who is responsible for something, how to influence them, and how to kick them out.

The fact they have never balanced the books from a budget perspective is pretty bad, they are just not accountable to anyone. Even the UK doesn't really complain about this, aside from Farage bringing it up, which is laughable as he is part of it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:35 

The accounts sign-off issue is deeply concerning, and I've yet to find a satisfactory explanation for it.

The simple answer to the accountability and transparency issues is to go all the way and have a proper United States of Europe with a readable constitution and an elected executive and legislature. But I really do not think there would be much popular support for this amongst the people of Europe, who tend to vote the wrong way in rare referendums on treaty changes, and no country's government would agree to such a loss of their power to Brussells.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:01 

Hearthly wrote:
And yet then there's ZOMG EMPIRICAL WOTSITS

Yeah, yeah.
Sorry, you're very much in that "pouting 8 year old camp" I alluded to earlier, so I'll be brief (since as I've said, I've finally realised I cannot be arsed trying to reason with close-minded idiots). Mock as much as you like with your sardonic language, but them pesky facts just bring you down every time. It doesn't matter how much you snipe at it, the fact remains the UK is the fastest growing developed economy. Period. Fact. Empirical fact. "The best kind of correct". No amount of snarking from you, or anyone else is going to change this beautiful, empirical fact so much as one iota. Deal with it. :smug:

You take the Gaywood approach to debate whereby just because you can impotently pick holes at the periphery of something (e.g. tax receipts have only risen slightly from last year, ignoring the fact that they're a damn sight fucking better than in 2008-10 and in any case, unemployment has plummeted, inflation is low and growth is inarguable etc etc), that means you've somehow proven some amazing point and "won" the argument.

Sorry to have to point this out mate, you haven't. You may as well try the markg cunt-calling option for size.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:27 

I was annoyed at you the other week for celebrating with glee at the apparent end of "benefits culture" which is some straight out of the Daily Mail bullshit and is what prompted that comment. Also you went off at me specifically at the point where I pointed out that the Tories were only very briefly ahead in the polls after they announced a tax break (and all that stupid, populist bullshit about the Human Rights Act). This was what you had predicated your jubilation upon. I then went on to say that it actually looks too close to call at the next election. But, no, anything other than your analysis that it was a dead certainty of Tory victory in the next election could only be the conclusion of someone blind to the facts and definitely not a cool-headed, dispassionate view like yours.

I'm acutely aware that I shouldn't have fallen for your blatant trolling and button-pushing that day (and don't even bother trying to deny it) but there you go, you got a rise out of me. Can't be bothered any more, though. I've seen it too many times before now, trolling people one minute and then calling them "mate" the next, really can't be fucked with it any more.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:31 
Hello Hello Hello

Cavey wrote:

You take the Gaywood approach to debate whereby just because you can impotently pick holes at the periphery of something (e.g. tax receipts have only risen slightly from last year, ignoring the fact that they're a damn sight fucking better than in 2008-10 and in any case, unemployment has plummeted, inflation is low and growth is inarguable etc etc), that means you've somehow proven some amazing point and "won" the argument.

It's not a peripheral point though, in any proper recovery wages increase and tax receipts increase, and neither are happening in this case. (Or at least, they're so small as to be negligible, and inflation may be low but wage growth is even lower, so in real terms people are getting poorer. And the government's borrowing more because they have to pay so many benefits and tax credits to people who are earning fuck all.)

Quote:
If people don’t earn, they don’t pay tax – and Treasury receipts are falling way below forecast – needing higher tax or deeper cuts to fill the gap. The rising numbers in self-employment are among the non-taxpayers, not budding entrepreneurs but earning an average £10,000, mini-cab driver their most frequent occupation.

Another set of OBR figures this week should set the Treasury shuddering, showing that the benefit cap, trumpeted by George Osborne as his trap for Labour, will be burst. Low pay means many more poverty incomes have to be topped up with extra tax credits. Now add in the government’s disastrous housing policies – and three decades of successive governments’ failure to build council houses – and those pigeons have come home to roost in the Treasury.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... nances-tax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:32 
Legendary Boogeyman

Since the media became aware of the concept of 'trolling' the word is now one of the most misused of the human race.

'He disagreed with me and is therefore a blatant troll'.

'He called me a twat and is therefore trolling'.

'Harsher jail terms for trolls'.

I mean, really, it's fucking ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:34 

On a forum I have always taken it to mean making posts that are primarily intended to get a rise out of people rather than to start or contribute to a debate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Politics will always get a rise out of people who disagree with the point, whether it's intended or not. If Cavey is indeed a troll then he's putting a fantastic amount of effort in.

Also I totally agree with what EBG said.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:38 

I wouldn't characterise him as a troll, like how someone can act like a dickhead without actually being one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:40 

Also how can a word with such a vague definition be "the most misused of the human race"?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:43 
Legendary Boogeyman

Grim... wrote:
Also I totally agree with what EBG said.

This is blatant trolling right here :hat:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:52 

I sometimes worry that Twitter is creating a nasty atmosphere in politics. Seems everytime someone says or does something, a chorus of disapproval goes up, but in 140 characters you really can't discuss nuanced or complicated issues and instead just react to short excerpts. The general response is a scream of 'we don't like X, ban it!'. So, er, ban Twitter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:58 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Politics will always get a rise out of people who disagree with the point, whether it's intended or not.

Eh; as with any argument or discussion you can present your points in any number of ways and some ways of doing it will just piss people off to the degree that the likelihood of any genuine discussion goes right out the window. There's nothing special or different about political conversations in that regard.

Reply to topic  [ 14350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 287  Next