Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 287  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 13:19 
Hello Hello Hello

Cavey wrote:
Hearthly mate, turn down the volume knob please, yeah?

Meh, EBG is a goliath of vitriolic ranting, it just so happens his rants come from the side of the fence as yours.

If my response and reactions are borne of emotion, then so be it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 13:23 
Legendary Boogeyman

Grrr! Behold my vitriol! People should make careful decisions about their life! Incoherent statement of rage! And so forth.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 13:24 

Hearthly wrote:
it just so happens his rants come from the side of the fence as yours.

Sigh. Yeah, even when we fundamentally disagreed in this very discussion (not that I object to anything he's said, he's entitled to his opinion and has made interesting points as far as I'm concerned).

Whatever. Still, well done for deflecting onto personalities etc., as ever thanks for your positive contribution. :roll:

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 13:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Hearthly wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Hearthly mate, turn down the volume knob please, yeah?

Meh, EBG is a goliath of vitriolic ranting, it just so happens his rants come from the side of the fence as yours.

If my response and reactions are borne of emotion, then so be it.

It's more that you're doing an awful lot of arguing against something EBG isn't saying. I don't agree with a lot of what he's saying here, but can you see a single place where he's once mentioned that disability benefit spending should be cut?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 13:28 
Legendary Boogeyman

I don't mind him disagreeing, and I think I've shown I'm at least up for discussion on the topic. He does however seem determined to accuse me of something I haven't said, and hasn't at least asked what I think the scenario he's outlining before lambasting me for my non-stated view on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 13:37 
Legendary Boogeyman

FWIW disability allowance is one aspect that should never be cut, although 'cut' is too simple a term to cover the variety of adjustments to a policy that may or may not be applicable for certain scenarios. You can't talk generally, or assume a general position on something so intrinsically granular. It's a political football.

If you're incapable of work due to chronic injury or disability, then absolutely there should be a liveable allowance with support. If you're partially disabled needing additional support, it should be funded. I don't think anyone that's ever been a member of this forum has ever said, in one way or another 'Fuck those lazy disableds'. A controversial government measure is the attempt to get disabled people to work as much as they can, and again it depends on people's behaviours and individual situations.

There are lots of jobs, for example, a paraplegic person can do, and may want to do, and it certainly hasn't stopped lots of others. Or you could be a person that says 'Look, my legs don't work, I'm disabled, give me the benefits', and I don't think it's reasonable to be accepting of that position any more than you would some lazy git who just can't be arsed to work at Maccies. I'm not saying there are lots of people like that, or that such an attitude comprises any majority of such people. Merely that it's an acceptable response to have when presented with that scenario.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 13:54 

Yeah, a lot of it comes down to whether you believe that you actually are being confronted with a given scenario to a significant extent. There is little doubt that the mass support for welfare cuts comes from quite a large disconnect between people's estimations vs the actual facts, as Grim... alluded to earlier. It seems to me that the Tories are only too happy to perpetuate and exploit many of these misapprehensions in order to further their ideology.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 13:54 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

There are elements of DLA that should be cut or means tested. However, having seen the previous and current shenanigans on qualification tests, then I wouldn't trust any administration to correctly manage the few adjustments that I think could be due without fucking everything up, and costing more money than the savings.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 14:07 
Hello Hello Hello

Cras wrote:
I don't agree with a lot of what he's saying here, but can you see a single place where he's once mentioned that disability benefit spending should be cut?

I haven't said EBG has said that, I did directly pull him up on the 'don't have kids you can't afford' statement (which he did make, with the suggestion we should all be planning about twenty years ahead from the age of around 21) and then branched out into disabled benefits of my own accord as I was getting cross, and also because the two things are very much conflated in the public conscience IMO. (I mean, we've all seen The Daily Mail, right? I just go there for the bikini pics.)

Plus the Tories are hacking at benefits across the board, and the disabled have arguably suffered more than most. (And yes I know it was the last Labour government that brought ATOS into the fray.)

And this debate makes me angry which doubtless comes through in my posts, because outside of a tiny fringe of people who are undoubtedly milking the system and living a life of fecklessness and idleness (and it's a tiny fringe of people according to the DWP's OWN FIGURES), all that's really happening here is the folks at the bottom of the ladder are getting kicked and stamped on. (Oh yes and the under 25s, because fuck them.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 14:23 
Ready for action

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
sdg wrote:
I've done load of crap jobs. It infuriates me when I see people unemployed and there are jobs available.

My first job was as a 'kitchen porter' for £2/hour. I was worked like a dog as most nights involved frantically washing up while waiting on, dashing back and forth from the kitchen serving meals, clearing empties, washing empties and kitchenware before rushing back out again to give out bills and take payments. Hardest bloody work I've ever done, long shifts of non-stop motion. I used to come home and lie flat on the floor as my back was knackered after a shift. I remember one Christmas I took home as much as £120 as I'd done almost 60 hours that week. I didn't get EMA payments for going to bloody college!

I saved most of that money to buy my first PC. It cost me £650 of hard-saved cash. A mighty Cyrix 200MX with 32MB RAM and a 14.4 modem.

I survived through uni on loans, making websites and sitting on the IT helpdesk at the Uni for what had probably leapt to a enormous £4.50/hour back then. During the summers I was waiting on again at a crappy local restaurant.

I've said it before, I'm not a rags to riches story. More like a 'poorer but ok' to a now comfortable enough life. If you work and grind you'll be OK. Like it or not but that's what the Conservatives generally purport for society so it's not mystical that I'm sympathetic to that view.

I think I probably am a rags to riches story to be fair. I've been homeless, I've worked horrible soul destroying rubbish jobs for a pittance, lived in areas where the neighbours send their kids round to chap the door so they can peer in and see if there's anything worse stealing etc etc. Now I can barely remember what it feels like to be terrified to put my bank card into a machine incase it got swallowed, or to do the run round the house searching for change to buy a bag of rice. I don't even really register payday anymore.

Of course people shouldn't be stopped from having children but it's so infuriating that some people can just pop them out without even caring about it and claiming benefits and not even bloody looking after them and I can't. If I want kids I have to spend >£1000 just to have one shot at it and it might not even work. Biology sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 14:30 
Ready for action

Mimi wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Can't reply to any of the interesting posts at the moment but will just quickly say, no-one is saying anything about you Meems or any homeless person; I've not been homeless but was chucked out on my ear at 16 and was sleeping on sofas and eventually got a "house share" (loosest possible sense) that cost me £25 of my £35 weekly wage, worst days of my life.

It's good we can all talk about this because generally speaking most people are terrified to do so precisely for fear of being thought a heartless wanker or worse, but I am certain no-one, least of all me, is alluding to any nasty shit whatsoever. For the record, I think you are a wonderful, inspirational person, truly, especially having now met you.

Cavey

Oh, Goodness Cavey, I didn't think that anyone was having a pop at me, personally or indirectly, I just hope that people do realise that some of the people that are in 'affordable housing' have had the toughest of lives, that perhaps we don't understand.

Yes, some will find themselves in a bad situation one day, but many will have been born into that bad situation and sadly know nothing else. We need better education and a truthfulness behind the assertion that you can climb up through society. Social mobility through hard work is often given as a reason to push out of the cycle, but how realistic is it? You have to start with a decent education, but if that isn't there, and you don't have the family support to learn, you've pretty much blown your chance before you have an awareness of the consequences.

We need inspirational employment and decent wages for those who do want to climb out of the mire. I know a lot of people get angry at the idea that people do not want to work as road-sweepers, or cleaners, for a few hours of minimal pay on a 0 hours contract, because you should take any work you are given, but if there were decent contracts and pay for these jobs that treated the worker fairly and had some day-to-day stability and benefits such as we all hope for in our own jobs then the mobilisation of some people would at least be an inspiration to peers and future generations.

I think one of the best things to do for people from areas of traditionally high unemployment would be to show them what employment looks like. Basically exactly what you're sayng, inspirational employment. It's not some unacheievable notion of suddenly earning £30,000 a year but even working a low skilled job you can suddenly afford to go on nights out and buy clothes and choose your meals for the week and maybe even learn to drive. I think not having anything to aspire to must be a huge part of the problem for some people. What are you aiming for when you don't know what it looks like?

As for 'affordable housing'. We're buying a new build and in our new estate there is going to be some affordable housing. I have literally no problems with that at all, but I have to admit if I knew it was going to be local authority housing I would probably be less pleased. Not because I think that everyone who lives in local authority housing is a bad person, or a potential criminal or a druggie or anything. There has been a time when I would have burst into floods of happy tears to be offered a council house. But simply because as a very (very) broad generalisation, home owners take more care of their home than people renting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 15:06 
Decapodian

sdg wrote:
I think not having anything to aspire to must be a huge part of the problem for some people. What are you aiming for when you don't know what it looks like?

One thing that I'm sure would help is some basic financial education in schools, to give people a proper idea of what "grown up stuff" costs, and how much you need to earn to pay for the lifestyle that you want.
Lets face it, at the start of our GCSE courses did anyone really have a good idea of any of that kind of thing.

That could mean picking a few example jobs then going through the calculations to work out take home pay over a week/month/year, then looking at what that will pay for in terms of rent/mortgage/car/bills and so on.

If you sit them down and get some realistic aspirations, then work back to see how you can pay for it kids are more likely to see the value of hard work and studying.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 15:06 
Legendary Boogeyman

I don't think it's particularly egregious to say that renters don't take as much care as owners. For an owner their investment is worth a couple of hundred grand at least, so it's worth keeping tidy. The most a renter expects to lose is a bit of their deposit even if they've practically set the place on fire before leaving.

I don't think I earn loads of money, but I'm careful with it and I exploit all of the moneysaving tips where I can. Cashback on pretty much everything, cashback bank accounts, credit cards. Shifting money about for best interest, lowest fees. Changing energy suppliers. Buying things in bulk when some insane deal is on offer. Little things all over the place that add up over time. Topcashback puts my lifetime cashback earnings at over £1000 and that's just on stuff I would have bought anyway. Even then I'm not as tight I could be, and none of these requires a superior level of intelligence to exploit.

I had an ex that, unbeknown to me at the start of the relationship, had £25k of debt that she'd racked up because of spurious purchases and terrible money management. I spreadsheeted the everloving shit out of every single account, with balances, payments and future interest repayments calculated to the penny. Worked up a monthly budget and repayment plan for each account, hitting the ones with the highest interest first, or consolidating others for best cashflow. None of it needed anything more than basic Excel formulas - you just have to want to do it. She also just didn't appreciate how much money she spunked on stupid shit - like spending £35 getting her nails done every two weeks, or paying £12/month for a website she'd never set up. Wastage everywhere and she had a massively hard time accepting that things like her nails weren't essential purchases.

She managed to write off her car by driving through deep water, and when about £6k of insurance money came through she didn't understand why she shouldn't spend it all on a new car instead of using it to consolidate or draw down on some of her overdrafts. After some discussion she thought maybe 3-4k was the acceptable minimum for a car. This is the girl that lived less than 2 miles from work and didn't need a car for anything else. I told her she could spend £1000 on something that was perfectly serviceable and more than sufficient for her usage. She really didn't understand why. Eventually her coddling mother stepped in to buy a £2k car for her, paying half of it herself.

The other thing is that she lived in a 3-bedroom semi-detached social housing (that she was living in under the false pretence her mum was still living there, which she wasn't....), in a nice area. Paying £350/month for the whole fucking house. She earned £24k a year and had no dependants other than a cat. By the time we broke up about 6 months later her debt was down under £20k with a projected payoff of 3 or so years, none of which would have happened if I wasn't guiding every single basic financial decision.

I really do struggle for sympathy for people that are just incapable at managing LIFE. This girl was privately educated and she couldn't even manage herself. No excuses, no mitigating circumstances, no personal tragedies. We eventually broke up because the stress was making me ill.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 15:15 
Hello Hello Hello

So all along the politicians have been getting it wrong, and the problem isn't as complex or intractable as it appears.

More spreadsheets is what's needed here.

EXCEL FOR ALL.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 15:28 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I don't want no scroungers using their benefits to pay for Excel, when Sheets is free.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 15:36 
Legendary Boogeyman

Not everyone is poor or in debt because society has conspired against them. Some people are just really fucking shit at managing themselves.

So naturally Hearthly pipes up to assume I'm assigning that label to absolutely everyone in society, of course. Logical and rational both.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 17:56 
Sleepyhead

If the Tories are so keen on making work pay, why are they going after low earners by cutting tax credits? It seems mental to be targeting people who are already working full time and trying to get further along in life economically.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:21 

Sorry guys, work shite, not been able to post...

But in the interlude, hopefully something to raise a giggle, some cheeky sod sent this to my phone :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 13:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Banks, not Labour, to blame for blowing up the economy. Corbyn is correct and is reaping the rewards.

Includes stats and facts to back the argument up.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... ial-crisis

Quote:
Corbyn is the only candidate sticking to the line that the banks were to blame and he is reaping the benefit. Not least because he is absolutely right.

Support for this argument has helpfully been provided by a recent House of Commons briefing paper from Matthew Keep. This looks at three separate measures of the public finances: the size of the budget deficit, the size of national debt as a proportion of the economy’s output (gross domestic product) and the percentage of GDP swallowed up by interest payments on the national debt.

None provides any support for the idea that Labour profligacy caused the crisis. Let’s start with the budget deficit. In the 10 years between Tony Blair’s election victory in 1997 to 2007, the year the subprime mortgage crisis broke, the average budget deficit was 1.4% – half the average under Margaret Thatcher and John Major. In 2006-07, the deficit was 2.6%.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 13:35 

How many more times, man?

The banks "blew up" for two reasons:

(1) Um, the banks.
(2) Lack of competent regulation from the then government.

Even Millipede conceded point (2) during the last GE and, frankly, the only people refusing to acknowledge this most fundamental fact of governmental responsibility are revisionists and fantasists, regardless of political hue.

Really can't be bothered trotting it all out again. As for Corbyn, man, I hope you're right. If he wins, I doubt anyone will be celebrating more than me as it'll spell the end of Labour as an electable party of governance - and probably the end of them full stop.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 13:54 
Gogmagog

Alistair Campbell not convinced by Corbyn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 14:02 

MaliA wrote:

Quote:
Burnham, Cooper and Kendall need to show now that they understand they are in a fight not just to be Labour leader, but to save the Party. That is a big challenge and one of them needs to demonstrate they can step up to it by showing that they too know how to make the weather in a campaign. And anyone who wants to see another Labour government one day should do what people who want a Corbyn leadership are doing – namely sign up as registered supporters for three quid in the next few days; but then I would hope they vote ABC. With those three, I could see possible routes both to defeat and also to victory in the country. With Corbyn, I’m afraid I can see only the route to defeat, and much, much worse. I wish it wasn’t so. But it is. And it is horrible to watch, unless you’re David Cameron, or George Osborne, as things stand his likeliest successor in Number 10.

Ooft. Quite extraordinary language; schism is coming methinks.

Say what you like about Campbell (and believe me, I do), but one thing you could never say is that the man isn't media-savvy and doesn't know a PR disaster when he sees one. For me, given all of this, the fact that he's gone nuclear like this tells its own story.

Me? I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying every second of every minute of this; schadenfreude isn't the most pleasant of human emotions but hey. Just desserts IMO.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 14:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

While I don't actually belive that there was much the UK government could have done in terms of preventative regulation without global buy in to remaking the whole system so don't entirely agree there was much blame to place directly on Labour (as opposed to the entire global banking-blind unregulated political mess), I can't exactly say I'm shocked and startled that a Labour leadership candidate would choose to not blame Labour for what happened.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 14:06 

Cras wrote:
While I don't actually belive that there was much the UK government could have done in terms of preventative regulation without global buy in to remaking the whole system so don't entirely agree there was much blame to place directly on Labour (as opposed to the entire global banking-blind unregulated political mess), I can't exactly say I'm shocked and startled that a Labour leadership candidate would choose to not blame Labour for what happened.

Clearly you know much more about this than I do Cras, but wouldn't it be fair to say that between them, London and New York were more or less the global financial market back in 2002-2008? London clearly wasn't some bit player in all this; for me, "world buy in" has to be viewed in this context of London's vastly skewed significance in the whole thing.

The successful regulation of 'The City', London (and Edinburgh come to that) was clearly of vital importance in world terms.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 14:10 

So, at the time the Tories were calling for stricter regulation of the banks?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 14:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Cavey wrote:
Cras wrote:

Clearly you know much more about this than I do Cras, but wouldn't it be fair to say that between them, London and New York were more or less the global financial market back in 2002-2008? London clearly wasn't some bit player in all this; for me, "world buy in" has to be viewed in this context of London's vastly skewed significance in the whole thing.

The successful regulation of 'The City', London (and Edinburgh come to that) was clearly of vital important in world terms.

Absolutely, but the political capital required to secure the changes that would have been required to prevent the crisis (banning of the house-of-cards risk model in CDS products, strengthening tier-1 capital ratios to ensure banks can handle with that level of debt write-off) absolutely didn't exist to get an agreement that would be meaningful. It was only after the disaster happened that people realised these sorts of changes were needed. Any agreement that didn't have the US, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Singapore, Britain, Germany, France and a whole host of others as signatories would never have been of any use in preventing the crisis.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 14:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

An additional point to that - say the UK had banned CDS trades in 2005, all the banks (including the UK-based banks) would have just run those transactions through countries where they weren't banned. Wouldn't have even needed to move people or their base of operations. If you've got a license to trade in another country, you can just make use of that country for any cowboy trading you feel like. That's why this stuff had to come with real motivation and in a true global sense.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 14:20 

markg wrote:
So, at the time the Tories were calling for stricter regulation of the banks?

Nope, I don't think so, but it depends which Tories you're talking about to an extent.
Look, we're not going to agree, clearly, because we've been here many times before. In my opinion, I couldn't give a rat's arse hypothesizing about what the Tories would, or would not have done; we can infer stuff but it's ultimately unknowable - and more importantly irrelevant.

From my side I can point to the fact that Gordon Brown, in his wisdom, tore down the previous regulatory framework (fact) and replaced it with something which did not work (fact), some 10 years later. What else is there to say? If I'm the MD of a PLC for 10 years and it goes belly-up after a decade of my stewardship, how valid a defence would it be for me to say either (a) it was all the last bloke's fault (despite my changing everything) and/or (b) everyone else was doing it/the other bloke would've done the same, honest guv.

It's called accountability, basically. The Tories weren't in power, Labour were. I'm the first to concede many of the manifold failings of the Tories whilst in government, particularly when amply demonstrated by actual irrefutable events, but the Left never does. It's all a bit silly and conceited IMO, but whether graciously conceded or steadfastly denied, the facts remain the same I'm afraid.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 15:13 

Cavey wrote:
Nope, I don't think so, but it depends which Tories you're talking about to an extent.
Look, we're not going to agree, clearly, because we've been here many times before. In my opinion, I couldn't give a rat's arse hypothesizing about what the Tories would, or would not have done; we can infer stuff but it's ultimately unknowable - and more importantly irrelevant....
It's called accountability, basically. The Tories weren't in power, Labour were.
You talk like parties not in power must be meekly silent for five years. Sure, that's not what the fuckwits running Labour are doing, but it doesn't have to be that way. In opposition, MPs can still sit on committees, still make public statements, still ask questions at PMQs, still campaign to shape public opinion, can still vote on every single measure passed before Parliament. They can, in short, oppose.

Here's some quotes from Freeing Britain To Compete, a 2007 report by Redwood and Wolfson and (one can reasonabily assume) endorsed at the highest levels of the Conservative party (the report was presented by Osborne, who was already shadow chancellor):

Quote:
The (Labour) government claims that this regulation is all necessary. They seem to believe that without it banks could steal our money

We need to make it more difficult for ministers to regulate, and we need to give the critics of regulation more opportunity to make their case against specific new proposals

We recommend deregulating venture capital fund raising, and investment for professional investors

A Conservative government should relax banking regulation, allowing a new breed of venture/micro-credit institutions

Competition is the customers’ main ally. It is competition which keeps the bank honest

We see no need to continue to regulate the provision of mortgage finance, as it is the lending institutions rather than the client taking the risk

Our aim is to liberate the economy from the burden of unnecessary regulations

Before imposing traditional ‘heavy’ regulation, government should always consider whether the ends could be achieved by less burdensome means, such as through competition, incentive schemes, or self-regulation

The regulatory burden should be measured and reduced year on year

Greater use should be made of “codes of practice” rather than direct regulation

From its first days in office, a Conservative government should challenge the public and press assumptions that encourage excessive regulation, and explain the likely effects of and reasons for its regulatory reforms

This is neither unknowable nor irrelevant.

Edit to say, this one really is a corker
Quote:
We see no need to continue to regulate the provision of mortgage finance, as it is the lending institutions rather than the client taking the risk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 15:20 

Cavey wrote:
I'm the first to concede many of the manifold failings of the Tories whilst in government, particularly when amply demonstrated by actual irrefutable events, but the Left never does.
You do this all the time. Why do you assume that anyone here with even the mildest of left-of-centre leanings likes the Labour party? We don't have a two-party state and we don't have two-party politics. Disliking the Tories is not the same thing as thinking Labour is the bee's knees.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 15:25 

Heh. Yes of course, Redwood was catastrophically wrong - conceded many times, as now.
But I'm sorry, Doc, you can't compare being in Opposition (and supposedly influencing Brown of all people oh-so-much I'm sure [lol]), with you know, being in government. IIRC Redwood wasn't even in the Shadow Cabinet and was a mere backbench MP.

Look, you're more than welcome to believe the Tories would've made the same catastrophic mistakes as Labour for all I care, seriously, or even that they're actually to blame themselves. Just as I'm welcome to think that's desperate, absurd and above all - irrelevant, for the reasons stated.

Labour are demonstrably and inarguably economically incompetent. Which you know, is principally why they lost.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 15:28 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Why do you assume that anyone here with even the mildest of left-of-centre leanings likes the Labour party?

:DD

Sorry Doc. :p
Look, we're just not going to agree, okay? :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:39 
Gogmagog

How terrifying would a Trump/Palin ticket be?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Actually less terrifying than a Trump/Cruz ticket, weirdly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:42 

The people whom Americans seem to frequently elect to high office is a source of bemusement and incredulity to me. IDGI, basically.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:43 
Sleepyhead

Cavey wrote:
The people whom Americans seem to frequently elect to high office is a source of bemusement and incredulity to me. IDGI, basically.

No different from Boris Johnson, tbf, or UKIP (admittedly not the the highest)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 15:47 

Curiosity wrote:
Cavey wrote:

No different from Boris Johnson, tbf, or UKIP (admittedly not the the highest)

Hmm, wouldn't say no different, Curio.

Boris Johnson? Yup, the guy acts the clown but he really isn't one. Actually he's a very intelligent, articulate and astute individual, expensively educated to a very high standard (whether you agree with his politics or not).

tbf - (?)

UKIP - well, yeah, except we haven't actually elected them though; one solitary MP (who's not their leader) doesn't exactly count as a landslide. I know they got a fair old percentage of the votes at GE, but fortunately good old FPTP saved the day ( :D ). A PR based system would've returned a massive Tory/UKIP parliamentary majority...

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 16:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cavey wrote:
tbf - (?)

"To be fair" or "to be frank".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 16:34 

Ah ok, ta. :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 17:00 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
Cavey wrote:
tbf - (?)

"To be fair" or "to be frank".

Or, if used by Craster, "To be flatulent".

He's frank much of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 17:08 

:D

"Trump for President"...

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 19:24 
Sleepyhead

Johnson plays the clown at least in part to make him seem harmless and entertaining, when he's actually nothing of the sort. Which is certainly something that can also be said for the likes of George W Bush. He was expensively educated and clearly not the imbecile he was made out to be, but people (within his party) liked him because of his public persona.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 19:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Did he refuse to take you to the prom or something?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 20:14 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:

George Bush?

Nah.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 20:25 
Sleepyhead

As for Boris, I think he's hideously incompetent, and in areas where he might show competence is generally a bit of a dick, but he gets away with it because people somehow ridiculously fall for his 'Oh look, I'm a bit silly' schtick. That's fine for a TV presenter; not for someone in charge of spending money in a time where budgets are being cut to ribbons for essential services.

But who cares about the poor and the needy when he can waste £39 million on a lift shaft to nowhere, £5.2 million on lobbying for his ridiculous airport that never had any chance of being built, several hundred thousand on second hand water cannons that are not even allowed to be used (and are a fucking idiotic idea anyway), £60 million (proposed - half London, half government) on a garden bridge that looks like an utter folly, was promised would not impact London finances at all and yet will likely cost the City £3.5 million a year in maintenance, the absurd sums on the (admittedly cool) cable car between the O2 and the North side of the river (cool, but useless, expensive, and the contract apparently allows the Emirates to veto a sale to anyone they don't like, such as Israeli businesses), over a million quid EACH on the unpopular new routemaster buses, selling advertising on the 'Boris Bikes' at an absurdly low level etc etc etc.

But he's funny LOL! Who cares that practically all of the above involved his business interests and friends?

*RAGE*

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 20:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

He would call you an oik. The world would laugh.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 21:03 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:

Are you secretly in love with him?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 21:23 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
He would call you an oik. The world would laugh.

Quite. And that is why all civilised people should weep.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 13:28 

Curiosity wrote:
Johnson plays the clown at least in part to make him seem harmless and entertaining, when he's actually nothing of the sort. Which is certainly something that can also be said for the likes of George W Bush. He was expensively educated and clearly not the imbecile he was made out to be

[citation needed]

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 13:31 

Curiosity wrote:
As for Boris, I think he's hideously incompetent, and in areas where he might show competence is generally a bit of a dick, but he gets away with it because people somehow ridiculously fall for his 'Oh look, I'm a bit silly' schtick. That's fine for a TV presenter; not for someone in charge of spending money in a time where budgets are being cut to ribbons for essential services.

But who cares about the poor and the needy when he can waste £39 million on a lift shaft to nowhere, £5.2 million on lobbying for his ridiculous airport that never had any chance of being built, several hundred thousand on second hand water cannons that are not even allowed to be used (and are a fucking idiotic idea anyway), £60 million (proposed - half London, half government) on a garden bridge that looks like an utter folly, was promised would not impact London finances at all and yet will likely cost the City £3.5 million a year in maintenance, the absurd sums on the (admittedly cool) cable car between the O2 and the North side of the river (cool, but useless, expensive, and the contract apparently allows the Emirates to veto a sale to anyone they don't like, such as Israeli businesses), over a million quid EACH on the unpopular new routemaster buses, selling advertising on the 'Boris Bikes' at an absurdly low level etc etc etc.

But he's funny LOL! Who cares that practically all of the above involved his business interests and friends?

*RAGE*

Can't really argue with any of the specifics and to be clear, I'm not exactly a fan.

However, can't say I can remember some great Golden Mayoral Age of the Livingstone Era either (with or without the GLC), where all monies were efficiently and wisely spent. From what little I can recall and know about it as someone not living in London, the guy and his administration seemed pretty hopeless to be honest.

He must be doing some stuff right - London is booming like as never before.

Dr Lave wrote:

Reply to topic  [ 14350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 287  Next