Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The PC Gaming Topic
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 15:30 
Excellent Member

Endless Legends is great. If they patch the very passive AI, it can get to be among the best 4x games ever, right there with Alpha Centauri.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:30 
Excellent Member

I think I've got this on my wishlist already anyway but it looks pretty good:

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/tri-of- ... 0-6415916/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 16:40 
Excellent Member

This was on my radar mostly due to intrigue at what the guys behind the Serious Sam games would do with a puzzle game and it appears they've made something a bit good with The Talos Principle. I notice there's some kind of intro/demo/test thing available as a free download from Steam that's probably worth checking out if you're interested but not sure about it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:02 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
This was on my radar mostly due to intrigue at what the guys behind the Serious Sam games would do with a puzzle game and it appears they've made something a bit good with The Talos Principle. I notice there's some kind of intro/demo/test thing available as a free download from Steam that's probably worth checking out if you're interested but not sure about it.

Ta.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:27 
UltraMod

It's getting a PS4 release early next year, so I'll wait for that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:56 
Excellent Member

American Nativity wrote:

I did wonder about that given that it seems to be the normal route now for anything of interest (and long may it continue!) so yeah, I'll be joining you on the PS4 version after probably playing the PC demo at least.

Usually I'd be happy to pick it up on the PC, and certainly it'll end up cheaper there no doubt, but there's long been something slightly fucked with my PC. It'll play older and lower-requirement indie stuff fine, but anything too taxing and it does loads of weird micro-stutters (e.g. the Vanishing of Ethan Carter was a real pain in the ass but Tomb Raider: Legend played smooth as silk at 1080p60 throughout) so I don't entirely trust it now for newer stuff. It needs a full upgrade anyway but in the last few months I've

• Bought a new phone
  • Bought a new tablet
  • Am about to buy a PS4
  • Had to kit the flat out a bit with a new TV and whanot
  • Spend a chunk of change getting the flat done up

So I can't really justify another <best part of a bloody grand> on a new PC that will largely be a glorified indie machine. It's all just bad timing given that, the phone notwithstanding, all the other kit's been ticking along for years and just, annoyingly, all needed sorted out at once but still. Maybe if I get a decent bonus in January (ahahahahaha!).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:04 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
American Nativity wrote:

I did wonder about that given that it seems to be the normal route now for anything of interest (and long may it continue!) so yeah, I'll be joining you on the PS4 version after probably playing the PC demo at least.

Usually I'd be happy to pick it up on the PC, and certainly it'll end up cheaper there no doubt, but there's long been something slightly fucked with my PC. It'll play older and lower-requirement indie stuff fine, but anything too taxing and it does loads of weird micro-stutters (e.g. the Vanishing of Ethan Carter was a real pain in the ass but Tomb Raider: Legend played smooth as silk at 1080p60 throughout) so I don't entirely trust it now for newer stuff. It needs a full upgrade anyway but in the last few months I've

• Bought a new phone
  • Bought a new tablet
  • Am about to buy a PS4

So I can't really justify another <best part of a bloody grand> on a new PC that will largely be a glorified indie machine. It's all just bad timing given that, the phone notwithstanding, all the other kit's been ticking along for years and just, annoyingly, all needed sorted out at once but still. Maybe if I get a decent bonus in January (ahahahahaha!).

I'm much in the same position - my MacBook will play most stuff but I'll get it on PS4 when I can considering I prefer a living room experience. I'll probably shell out for a new PC/Oculus Rift combo at some point 2015/16, but that can wait.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:16 
Excellent Member

American Nativity wrote:
Bamba wrote:
American Nativity wrote:

• Bought a new phone
  • Bought a new tablet
  • Am about to buy a PS4

I'm much in the same position - my MacBook will play most stuff but I'll get it on PS4 when I can considering I prefer a living room experience. I'll probably shell out for a new PC/Oculus Rift combo at some point 2015/16, but that can wait.

My PC's currently hooked directly up to the living room TV so as long as a game can be played with an Xbox pad stuff works just as well that way as it does on a console. So currently for 'indie' games the argument comes down to 'potentially cheaper on the PC' vs 'no chance of driver etc issues on a console'. For proper games it's console all the way at the moment because I can trust them to run properly there and I can swap/trade stuff when I'm done. If I upgraded my PC though I could potentially buy any game on either platform.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 13:57 
UltraMod

Satellite Reign, the spiritual successor to Syndicate Wars is out on Steam Early Access today. One to keep an eye on:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/268870/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:16 
Excellent Member

The Dream Machine is soooo good.

It annoys me every time i read about the greatness of old point & click classics, as if no good games of this genre are being made nowadays (see Cobbet's top 25 adventure games for PC Gamer for proof).

We're living a golden age of point & click adventures right now. Just enjoy them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:15 
Excellent Member

I post this mostly for Sat's interest but Shelter 2 is apparently out. I'm still too chickenshit to play the first one but that's a pretty savage review of the sequel so it doesn't sound like I'm missing much with that installment.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 13:27 
Excellent Member

Ziggurat is the closest we got so far for a first person Binding of Isaac. Play it, it's fun (and better than Tower of Guns)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 13:28 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
I post this mostly for Sat's interest but Shelter 2 is apparently out. I'm still too chickenshit to play the first one but that's a pretty savage review of the sequel so it doesn't sound like I'm missing much with that installment.

Destructoid is a terrible site for dudebros though.

http://www.destructoid.com/dmc-devil-ma ... 8347.phtml

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 13:49 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:

I've had to go back and remind myself what I thought about Shelter and I've rediscovered that I thought it was shit. Sharn't be trying Shelter 2 then.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 14:35 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Destructoid is a terrible site for dudebros though.

http://www.destructoid.com/dmc-devil-ma ... 8347.phtml

It earned it's place in my RSS list mostly because Jim Sterling used to write for then but they do also review stuff that doesn't get mentioned elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 15:14 
Excellent Member

As far as mainstream gaming sites go, destructoid is one of the best. The only two other gaming sites that i read are RPS and Eurogamer (which isn't half as good as it used to be though...same for RPS).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 14:13 
Excellent Member

Ori and the Blind Forest seems to be getting a lot of love at the moment so it's been firmly added to my wishlist. The Steam page for it's here. It's also out on the Xbone but who gives a shit about that?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:30 
Excellent Member

Any1 in here who plays

Verdun
Rise of Flight
IL2 - Battle of Stalingrad

on Steam?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 13:01 
Excellent Member

Rayman Legends very well might be the best platformer I've ever played.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 14:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Yeah I gave it a serious bit of loving over in the Wii U thread, it's absolutely fucking glorious.

The brilliance of the music attack style levels is just the sumptuous icing on a cake of unbridled magnificence.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 14:26 
Excellent Member

I should have wrote "best straight platformer", because i don't know if i prefer it to Castlevania Aria games.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 14:54 
Unpossible!

RuySan wrote:
I should have wrote "best straight platformer", because i don't know if i prefer it to Castlevania Aria games.

What's your favourite gay platformer?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 15:00 
Hello Hello Hello

Elton John?

Attachment:
Screenshot 2015-03-19 at 13.59.20.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:40 
Excellent Member

I've just noticed that utterly shameless but apparently very good iOS Wind Waker rip-off Oceanhorn recently got a PC release.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 17:10 
Excellent Member

Apparently the hype on Pillars of Eternity was justified. Reviews are saying it's an instant classic.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:49 
Excellent Member

I've just bought A Pixel Story from Steam and thought it worth highlighting to other people. My interest in it stems from the time I played it in a tent in front of the Dundee council building way back when it was an entrant in the Dare to be Digital contest; at which point it stood head and shoulders above the other entrants and was probably the only thing I was genuinely interested in seeing make it to a commercial product. The visual hook of the game is that as you progress you move through a number of 'generations' of platform game graphics and it's certainly a very pretty looking thing. Gameplay-wise there's a touch of Portal going on in that you have a magic hat which you can place anywhere you can reach, and which you can then teleport to from wherever else you are. Like Portal your direction and speed are retained when you emerge from the hat so you can use this to reach places you wouldn't otherwise be able to. I can't tell you for sure it's worth playing as I haven't seen any real reviews for it yet but I really loved the demo version I played all those years ago and am looking forward to getting my hands on the final version.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:39 
Excellent Member

One of the articles I was reading about A Pixel Story linked to Bedlam because it does a similar 'through the years' approach but to FPSs rather then platform games. The other interesting thing about it is that it's a companion piece to a Christopher Brookmyre novel and he also wrote the plot/dialogue for the game. The game's in early access at the moment so no proper reviews--though the user reviews are generally positive--but definitely something worth keeping an eye on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 14:38 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

RuySan wrote:
Apparently the hype on Pillars of Eternity was justified. Reviews are saying it's an instant classic.

That's what I hear, everyone seems to be raving about it. Can't really justify purchasing it when I've still to start the latest Divine Divinity (and Baldurs Gate 2 Enhanced, Wasteland 2, The Witcher 1 & 2) though.

Which reminds me I still have to finish Dragon Age Inquisition before I start on any of those. By which time it should be on sale (or we will have games beamed directly into our brains).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:14 
Excellent Member

Well, did you played Legend of Grimrock 2 already? I started last week and it's even better than the first. An absolute triumph in every way.

You can play that instead since it's half the price of Pillars.

As for the other RPG's of this golden age, i didn't like Shadowrun Returns, and from the comments from forums and such Wasteland 2 seems average.

Divinity:OS, on the other hand, seems brilliant, and it's probably my next purchance, since it's going to be a while until PoE gets a decent discout.

And yes, play The Witcher 2. It's spectacular.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:17 
Paws for thought

I wouldn't bother playing witcher 2 because it's been out over a year and (spoilers deleted -ed)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:22 
Excellent Member

It's been out for very long, which means it's very slick and cheap. And still one of the best looking games around.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:52 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Haven't played Legend of Grimrock 1...bugger there's another two to add to the list.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 14:28 
Excellent Member

LoG is a very different beast. It's an heir to Dungeon Master and Black Crypt and has lots of puzzles. Excellent ones (many inspired by Portal), in fact, and it's a much better game than its influences.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:41 
Excellent Member

I'm generally 'over' point and click adventure games and have little time for the genre these days but The Charnel House Trilogy looks interesting and it's only a few quid and it's got bonus Jim Sterling so it's going on the wishlist.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 16:47 
Excellent Member

I envision an alternative universe where point and click adventures are the most popular genre. There is no other genre more appropriate to tell a story, but unfortunately until recently these kind of adventures became stuck in a very conservative design.

I think there's huge potential in innovating the genre. Multiple solutions to puzzles, different endings, choices and consequences, a more dynamic pace....a game that implements these becomes immediately more interesting. "Life is Strange" is a nice start. Primordia is also another great one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 17:07 
Excellent Member

I used to love them when I was younger but now when I think about them I just imagine pixel hunting through an environment and then constantly listening to NPCs repeat themselves while you laboriously try different combinations of items against the current puzzle. I think you're right that there's a lurking possibility of innovation revitalising things and certainly, having just finished Tiny Thief, there's evidence of scope in the format if someone would do something with it on a decent scale. Life Is Strange is on my wishlist so I'm curious now to see what it does and I'll look at Primordia as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 17:26 
Prince of Fops

Bamba wrote:
I used to love them when I was younger but now when I think about them I just imagine pixel hunting through an environment and then constantly listening to NPCs repeat themselves while you laboriously try different combinations of items against the current puzzle. I think you're right that there's a lurking possibility of innovation revitalising things and certainly, having just finished Tiny Thief, there's evidence of scope in the format if someone would do something with it on a decent scale. Life Is Strange is on my wishlist so I'm curious now to see what it does and I'll look at Primordia as well.

Moi aussi. I used to bloody love them. But I think part of the pleasure I derived from them was my childish enthusiasm for seeing what happens when you put two things together. It was a simple satisfaction that I could enjoy in some fantastically vivid and atmospheric worlds with great writing.

But as games have become more advanced and the potential for doing much more than x + y = this, I think point and click has suffered.

All games definitely shouldn't be the same, but I found going back to Grim Fandango on the Vita wasn't a fun experience. I felt bored - I simply wasn't enjoying the mechanics of it. And that's very sad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 21:19 
Excellent Member

Even more conservative point and clickers, like the ones from Daedalic, have hotspots to prevent pixel hunting. Other games, like the ones from Zombie Cow Studios, have so much funny lines from experimenting with the wrong combinations, that you kind even want to play it wrong.

I think Grim Fandango is terribly overrated, as it has lots of nonsensical and frustrating puzzles. It kind of bums that people are still stuck considering these classics as the best games of the genre (like the Richard Cobbett top25 whatever) and ignoring the current great games.

The Dream Machine is also amazing. One of the most beautiful games I've ever played.

Quote:
Life Is Strange is on my wishlist so I'm curious now to see what it does and I'll look at Primordia as well.

You have to have some tolerance of teen cliches to fully enjoy life is strange, but even so is a big improvement on the Telltale formula.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:24 
Excellent Member

Engadget currently have an article listing "Nine surrealist games" here. I've played, or am aware of, the majority there but the final couple sound interesting.

SURREALISTa is part game, part interactive exhibit of the work of an Italian painter Giorgio de Chirico and is available on a name-your-price basis.

The Tender Cut is, well: "The Tender Cut is a first person interactive installation/exploration adventure game inspired by the "Il etait une fois" scene from Luis Bunuel's movie "Un Chien Andalou". It invites the viewer/player to dive into a surreal atmosphere, sharing the character's experience." Pretentious, bizarre and completely free.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 18:41 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
The Tender Cut is, well: "The Tender Cut is a first person interactive installation/exploration adventure game inspired by the "Il etait une fois" scene from Luis Bunuel's movie "Un Chien Andalou". It invites the viewer/player to dive into a surreal atmosphere, sharing the character's experience." Pretentious, bizarre and completely free.

You are getting downloaded.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:24 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

I'm shit at Racing games, and generally hate the idea of racing in general (F1 is such a waste of TV time) -- but for some reason (read: hype-train) I bought Dirt Rally. It's quite fun, but I'm absolutely shit at going around corners with any speed. (Though I managed to come 4th in two tournaments vs the computer)

Does anyone have it ? If so we can LEADERBOARD COMPETE.

Should I spend £200 on a steering wheel + pedals + stick because, y'know, that'll make me a PRO DRIVER that might actually be able to make it round a hair-pin without either ricochetting off of the walls or just doing it at 1mpg?

edit: dedicated thread!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 14:24 
La Bamba

Just downloaded the 'new' Wolfenstein game. I liked the first one and I've read that this isn't just a half ass so I'm hopeful it can draw me in like the original did :)

Also just downloading Project : Cars and again am hopeful about that. Currently playing GTAV.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 15:20 
ugvm'er at heart...

I am downloading Project Cars at the moment, i'll tell you what it's like in 2 days time... bloody internet speeds...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 15:32 
Unpossible!

Trooper wrote:
I am downloading Project Cars at the moment, i'll tell you what it's like in 2 days time... bloody internet speeds...

VOTE GREENS FOR FASTER INTERNETS IN THE STICKS

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 16:08 
Esoteric

Just installed Cars now. Will come back with my thoughts, but feel my system will struggle at 4k because apparently the Titan X has trouble with max settings at 1440p.

Edit. OK so it's installed and running. It automatically set itself to the highest settings sans the grass which I changed myself. Seems to run perfectly fine with no stuttering or input lag. I would run a benchmark but sadly FRAPS is stuck at 24 FPS and won't move and I know from experience it's certainly not running at that or I would feel it.

All seems OK, if a little samey. It feels and looks very similar to NFS : Shift. Whether it looks better? well I would imagine it does but due to it looking like NFS Shift it doesn't really seem any better to me.

Mind you I am from the NFS Underground camp so this game doesn't really offer an awful lot for me. I think I would have more fun with the new Dirt game.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 17:35 

I must admit, that rally game looks the business, but I don't have a wheel, and I don't think I'll get one, so I'm curious how well it will work with an Xbox 360 controller.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 17:49 
Esoteric

360 controller works perfectly :)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:23 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

lasermink wrote:
I must admit, that rally game looks the business, but I don't have a wheel, and I don't think I'll get one, so I'm curious how well it will work with an Xbox 360 controller.

If anything it's better with a joypad than a wheel right now. There's apparently something wrong with the force-feedback in the game and it's completely weird. (This is all from youtube video and forum posts etc, I don't have a wheel myself).

I use an Xbox one pad just fine.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 19:31 
Esoteric

Started playing Wolfenstein The Old Blood last night. It's really good :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 14:17 
Bad Girl

I've got a confession - I've never played a TellTale Games game so I've had a go at The Walking Dead. And I love it!

They seem filled with little bugs (animation bugs mainly) and some irritating bits (fuck me Lee walks slowly) and some other irritating bits (unskippable repeating dialogue) but overal it has been pretty interesting.

Episodes 1-3 were really good (I've got all 5), although I thought episode 2 should have been later on in the series, and episode 4 has been pretty good but the new characters are less interesting or nuanced as the earlier characters.

Also, as a black lead character Lee has been fantastic. Great voice acting throughout and I've been playing him as I'd expect him to act in the circumstances. It's great stuff.

Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next