Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The PC Gaming Topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 14:03 
Esoteric

Dying Light. I tried to be good at this before but became stuck because I didn't know how to kill lots of zombies. I really didn't concentrate on crafting and it cost me. Now? throw in some fireworks get them all in then chuck in a molatov or throw some exploding stars at their heads.

A great game it really is :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:11 
Excellent Member

I'm quite confused by Abyss Odyssey. On one hand it looks lovely and kind of reminds me of the aesthetics of Shadow of the Beast 2, right to the coins coming from the bashed chests. On the other hand, the movement is a bit sluggish reminding me of Super Smash Bros, which is a series that never did anything for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:21 
UltraMod

I've found our perfect co-op game, Bamba.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... ime-review

-edit- local co-op only, sadly. :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:24 
Gogmagog

Future Warrior wrote:

I need something like that for the PS4. And a econd controller that isn't £50. And a friend. <sobs>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:
I need something like that for the PS4. And a econd controller that isn't £50.

Got ur back, bruv http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStatio ... controller

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:33 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I need something like that for the PS4. And a econd controller that isn't £50.

Got ur back, bruv http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStatio ... controller

Nice one. Ta. To the PS4 thread as I might have questions before I buy!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:37 
Bad Girl

Future Warrior wrote:

That looks brilliant. Adding that to my list, ta.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:54 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:

I think there is chat about patching in internet co-op isn't there? I might've made that up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:12 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:

I think there is chat about patching in internet co-op isn't there? I might've made that up.

Then it's a date!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:49 
Excellent Member

I'm not a massive fan of classic point-and-click games these days but this sounds fucked up and affecting enough to be well worth playing:

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/09/dropsy-review/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:01 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
I'm not a massive fan of classic point-and-click games these days but this sounds fucked up and affecting enough to be well worth playing:

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/09/dropsy-review/

Ta.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 15:55 
Excellent Member

The devs responsible for the original Amnesia game have released a new one called SOMA which is getting very good reviews all over the place:

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/soma-re ... 0-6416245/ (9/10)
http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/09/ ... d-the-sea/ (8/10)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... oma-review (Recommended)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 15:57 
Esoteric

Mad Max. I'm quite pleasantly surprised how good it is, too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 17:48 
Excellent Member

I'm completely addicted to Path of Exile. Best Diablo clone ever. I bought Diablo 3 a few days ago, which eventually led me to return to Path of Exile to check the differences.

Never played Diablo 3 again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:08 
Excellent Member

I was totally not aware of this but apparently The Beginner's Guide, the new game from the developer of The Stanley Parable, is out in a couple of days.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:11 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
I was totally not aware of this but apparently The Beginner's Guide, the new game from the developer of The Stanley Parable, is out in a couple of days.

Nice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 20:23 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Nice.

So this is awesome apparently, which is nice:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... ide-review

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-beg ... 0-6416261/

http://www.destructoid.com/review-the-b ... 3130.phtml

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 15:46 
Excellent Member

For shits and giggles I was checking how much the Steam calculator thinks my Steam library is worth when I noticed a weird entry at the bottom for 'The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux'. It turns out that to make it easier to port the game to the current gen consoles the devs re-did the game entirely in the Unreal 4 Engine (the original was in UE3) so they made that version available to PC buyers for free as well. It's a separate install and you'll need to go and get it even if you've already got the current version on your machine but it might be worth a look.

Full details of what and why here:

http://www.theastronauts.com/2015/09/th ... x-out-now/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 16:09 
Excellent Member

I'm back playing Skyrim, done the game and most of the side quests, so these days I play on God Mode with a levelled up character and just wander around doing the main plot as and when I feel like it

Still finding new side quests as well as adding in Mods and the DLC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 23:24 
Bad Girl

Lost Planet 3 is boring. I'd have more fun shaving my balls with a blunt razor after contracting Parkinson's.

Not only does it somehow make Mechs boring but IT MAKES MECHS BORING. Mechs, of course, aren't boring as Lost Planet 1 & 2 and a whole bunch of Manga vids show. But then again Japanese games making folk are cool as fuck and western games are made after substantial testing by a bunch of guys in suits who talk about "franchises."

So Lost Planet 3 ditches every single thing that made Lost Planet 1/2 cool and shoves you in a mech that is about as shapely and exciting as a Tupperware bowl with arms and legs.

The basics aren't too bad though: it looks quite nice with some very good weather effects and decent looking cold environments; the guy even has a fun vault over a box move (oh yeah, it's gone Gears of War with the main characters look, and some cover based shooting *yawn*) and it's very responsive to move about and shoot stuff with some weighty feeling guns.

It even gives you a decent impression as to what it might be like to drive a big mech about and it even has some good ideas about that too. You might hit some bad icy weather and have the window of the mech completely freeze up. Since driving a mech is all done in first person without skipping a beat your man will kick the screen and bust open the front door. It's cool, it's we'll done. Hell, you might get some big chunks of rock shatter your window screen too. Again, all done very well.

But you can't forgive the rest of it.

The mech is so slow and you have to walk it everywhere. The world is connected to a main hub and, seemingly, masses of loading screens. From the garage hub to the front door: loading screen. Front door to the next area: 2/5 minute walk and a loading screen. You get the idea. If you want to cross the world you'll probably have about 10 loads. Invest wren the load screens are long walks. If you get accosted in the mech then the best idea is to avoid conflict and press on because the mech has a grand total of no fucking weapons. Two arms to swing about (one does have a drill though) and that's your lot (well so far, I'm only on the second chapter out of 5) and its tiresome.

Plus those cool effects on your screen? They disappear when you load the next area. Bit shoddy that.

And it's filled with filler. "Jim, go get the transponder" "Jim come back" "Jim, meet the captain" "Jim go get your mech" "Jim take the mech over there" "Jim, come back." The worse filler bullshit is between missions. You walk to A, do whatever, then you have to walk all the way back, park up the mech, walk to see the captain who then talks to you for 10 seconds to tell you to go take the mech some place else for another boring mission. You've got a fucking radio in the mech, hell, the fuckers won't stop talking to you throughout your boring walks in the snow, so why do I have to go fucking talk to some guy via no less than 4 fucking load screens just to run back to get in the mech and get out into the world again. It's cheap filler because however made this doesn't want you to have any fun. They want character building or some shit because there's no need for this unless the rest of the content in this game is so few that they have to hide it behind a bunch of slow walks back and forth.

Could you imagine this in Lost Planet 1/2? You'd have a heart attack. No, Lost Planet 2 has you fighting pirates and giant worms whilst riding a massive tumble dryer with 4 of your mates or randoms. Every minute was filled with some stupid shit. Oh and a grapple hook you could use ANYWHERE. The grapple here - only at fixed points highlighted of course. Lame. It's gone backwards. LP1/2 was entertaining nonsense with some funky mechs slipping and sliding in the snow with giant weapons and hand cannons. LP3? Gears of War clone.

Who thought that was a good idea?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 17:07 
Esoteric

I just played through The Park

A very interesting explore-em-up similar to Ethan Carter (though much better I feel).

It's short, but there were a couple of moments where it caught me off guard and made me jump :)

Info here.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/402020/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:53 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

I have finally gotten round to playing Wasteland 2, even though I've had it in my Steam library since early access was available but I never actually played it...and since they were nice enough to release the Directors Cut I though it was high-time to start it up.

I like, it's an interesting mix of old school Fallout (obviously) with a bit of Jagged Alliance mixed in. I recommend (even though the random encounters can be a chore, they are easily avoided with the right skills but I always think I might be missing out on some cool guns). I also believe it is also available for those next gen console thingies I am hearing about.

At this rate it will be this time next year before I start on Divine Divinity.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:04 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Interest piqued.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:35 
Excellent Member

Morte wrote:
I have finally gotten round to playing Wasteland 2, even though I've had it in my Steam library since early access was available but I never actually played it...and since they were nice enough to release the Directors Cut I though it was high-time to start it up.

I like, it's an interesting mix of old school Fallout (obviously) with a bit of Jagged Alliance mixed in. I recommend (even though the random encounters can be a chore, they are easily avoided with the right skills but I always think I might be missing out on some cool guns). I also believe it is also available for those next gen console thingies I am hearing about.

At this rate it will be this time next year before I start on Divine Divinity.

I'm enjoying it a lot, even though it's quite an ugly game. The combat is excellent. Better than XCOM 2 and probably the best since JA2. The game has more in common with the old fallout's than Wasteland 1.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 17:14 
Bad Girl

No matter how many times you try to calibrate the Xbox 360 pad The Beginners Guide will not invert, and there's also no invert option.

-5 points already.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 17:14 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:
No matter how many times you try to calibrate the Xbox 360 pad The Beginners Guide will not invert, and there's also no invert option.

-5 points already.

I didn't have that problem because I play games the right way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 17:19 

Future Warrior wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

-5 points already.

I didn't have that problem because I play games the right way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 23:35 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:

-5 points already.

Huh. That's incredibly poor in this day and age. And weird given that The Stanley Parable worked fine, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 0:25 
Bad Girl

Holy sweet baby Jesus.

BROFORCE is absolutely incredible. So. Many. Explosions. And. 80s. Action. Heroes.

I've just found my new favourite game since Not a Hero.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 22:39 
Bad Girl

I can't get on with The Escapists: The Walking Dead. I don't actually know what kind of game it is. The first level was a straight forward adventure (which I wanted) but then the main game started and, um, it just leaps ahead in time from Rick waking up to being at the farm and Rick having a kip. Then it wants me to have breakfast and do some fucking laundry. I've no idea what's going on but it's not actually a great start.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 16:29 
Bad Girl

I has the Steam Controlller for Crimbo.

It's quite a snazzy piece of kit to hold although the stick and the buttons seem too close to the centre of the pad away from a comfortable grip.

Quite looking forward to trying it out though and seeing what it does.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 19:27 
Bad Girl

Plugged it in and it's doing what my mouse used to do. I might just pack the mouse away and see how long I can cope with the haptic trackpad thing.

And, yes, I've no idea what haptic feedback is but I can described it now I've been playing with it for a bit: your pad makes a noise as you run your finger over it like a creaking door and you get a weird bumpy feedback under your thumb/finger no matter where you are on the pad.

So there you have it, haptic = bumpy feel and creaky door noise. Sorted.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 19:38 
Bad Girl

Mind you, now it's being a bit spazzy when I go into and out of Steam. If I close steam it just stops the controller working altogether.

There's no keyboard when you're on the desktop neither so I can't do away with lugging my keyboard onto the sofa which is a bit of a shame when I just want to boot up the PC or just scroll over to the files and click on a film.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 19:50 
Bad Girl

Hang on, I've sorted it with some firmware.

A quick doss around in the controller configure setting reveals that you can arse around with everything for different things. So since I'm only interested in navigating the desktop at the minute there's a "desktop" setting that I've mucked around in and it's ace.

Pretty impressive this controller thing is. Apparently there's a gyroscope in there an' all which you can configure for some games, which reminds me, I might even play some games with it at some point!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 20:14 
UltraMod

Yeah I'm thinking of getting one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:31 
Excellent Member

Me too. I'll probably wait until I get to a PC game that only needs basic controls but has no pad support at all and pick up a Steam controller so I can sit on the couch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:51 
Excellent Member

Do you like Phoenix Wright games and beautifully illustrated pictures of animals wearing suits? Well, you'll probably quite enjoy Aviary Attorney.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 23:27 
Esoteric

Crysis.4k.wow.

So today I really felt like playing Crysis. The first one, like. I already had it on DVD but I remembered it uses Securom or one of those other really nasty DRM things so I figured I would just stick my hand in my pocket (for the third time !) and buy it on Steam. I managed to get it on G2A for about £6 which I was happy with.

At first it didn't want to play ball at 4k. It seems the game only goes up to 1920x1200 or something similar to that, so a couple of hacks were required. After editing the CFG file I managed to get it up and running, only to find that for some reason it is detecting my refresh rate incorrectly and if I turn VSYNC on it locks to 24hz. Harumph. I've had the issue before in newer games and apparently it's something to do with how Displayport works (60hz Displayport = two 30hz signals strapped together or something like that I don't remember exactly how it works) so I had to play the game with VSYNC off which kinda sucked. It's especially bad running Crossfire as the tearing is really noticeable when the FPS spike as they often do.

However, I decided to press on and I am glad that I did. It's incredible to think that the game came out in 2007 and actually has the Intel Core 2 Duo picture on the loading screen.

They must have really fitted this game out with some savagely large textures because if you played it today and had never heard of it before you would easily let it pass as a modern game running on modern engine. And as usual it's a fine game, but 4k really does make it better to play. Targeting foes far off into the distance for example is so much easier at such a stupid resolution. I ran the game at 1080p just for a laugh and it really did look like a completely different game.

It's not often that I feel happy to be running 4k. Usually when it stutters or farts or something I just get really bummed out about it. But today was a good 4k day :)

Even better is that I have a friend who works for AMD so he has sent them a request to fix the 24hz issue :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:07 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

DARKMAUS or 'a top down Dark souls with mice'

Game link (£6.99) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/406130/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:25 
Bad Girl

Quote:
Dark Souls with Mice

That sounds shit.

Quote:
*watches trailer*

I WANT THIS NOW. Looks quite atmospheric. Me likely, and for £7 I'm in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 13:53 
Bad Girl

Well I would be but apparently the minimum specs are an i7 according to Reddit. I might try it still but it's a bit of a worry.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 13:55 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:
Well I would be but apparently the minimum specs are an i7 according to Reddit. I might try it still but it's a bit of a worry.

That's wrong. i3 is min spec:
Quote:
Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 or AMD equivalent

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rise-o ... 0-6433519/

It might be the recommended spec. If my PC didn't run it I'd be very pissed off! I have an i5 ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 13:57 
Bad Girl

I was talking about the Dark Souls with Mice game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 13:58 
Bad Girl

Dark Maus minimum specs...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 14:07 
UltraMod

Oh right, sorry. I've been skim-reading today!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 14:08 
Hello Hello Hello

I refuse to believe that the game won't run on a CPU without hyperthreading.

An i5 is (mostly) just an i7 without hyperthreading.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 14:51 
Esoteric

haha, I7 as a minimum yet it runs on Vista with 4gb ram ! Vista doesn't even support the I7 :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 15:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

JohnCoffey wrote:
Vista doesn't even support the I7 :D

For anyone wondering how your PC working in light of this information, you'll be pleased to hear that Vista does, in fact, support the i7.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 15:58 
Hello Hello Hello

I think JC's getting at hyper-threading doing silly things on Vista. Certainly it did early on and negatively impacted performance, may have been patched later though I suppose.

And yes I know this is from 2008 - http://www.techradar.com/news/computing ... own-480468

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 16:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

[edit] Turns out the second comment on that article said the same as me but much better, ie "Dear Lord, do some research".

Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next