Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The PC Gaming Topic
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 23:08 
Bad Girl

Here we are:

100%

Ok, I think the percentages are wrong.

Still, I spent 8 hours 22 minutes on it and got 11/12 green circles and 13/15 blue circles. And I didn't even need all the circles. BUT I WANTED THEM.

So that's 24 circles out of 27 circles = circle%

So in terms of percen for how good this game is I'm obliged to award it 88.88%.

All games should be measured this way.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:42 
Excellent Member

This week's humble bundle is highly recommended.

Valdis Story is probably the most underrated metroidvania around, and The Dream Machine is brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:04 
Excellent Member

RuySan wrote:
This week's humble bundle is highly recommended.

Valdis Story is probably the most underrated metroidvania around, and The Dream Machine is brilliant.

I bought it for Tengami and Where Is My Heart.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:11 
Bad Girl

On a not-related-to-Humble-Bundle note, I started up Wasteland 2 last night.

It has a live action introduction which I didn't like and then reams and reams of text. I wasn't impressed. And it had loads of buttons I didn't know what to press. Maybe I should've paid more attention to the text. Then travelling around the world map was just a big arrow a largely empty map. Then an X-Com style fight in an arena. I didn't know what I was doing and it was jarring cause I didn't know it was an turn based fighting thing. Maybe I should have read about it beforehand. I'll have to come back to this when I'm more in the mood I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:15 
Excellent Member

Wasteland 2 is one of those cases where every reviewer liked it, but every time i read about is on forums and comments the sentiment is usually negative.

I want to play that someday, but Divinity: OS has the priority, and i still haven't finished Dark Souls 2 and Lords of Xulima.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:17 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

The original game was something I played on the C64 , its using the 'bards tale' engine and one of the first post apocalyptic RPG's (along with Origin's Autoduel)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasteland ... eo_game%29

A series of youtube videos of the C64 game :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvYcu5q ... 83&index=1

If you dont have any nostalgia for the first game then it will probably be quite a rough thing to get into - the kickstarter basically promised a similar game and thats what they delivered

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:22 
Excellent Member

I liked the first Wasteland, but i just can't get seem to get excited for this one. Also, the common complaint that it has too much text (and uninteresting at that) doesn't pull me in. Pillars of Eternity suffers from the same problem. It just drags on and on. "Show, not Tell" is something that these rpg designers totally ignore.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:27 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

RuySan wrote:
I liked the first Wasteland, but i just can't get seem to get excited for this one. Also, the common complaint that it has too much text (and uninteresting at that) doesn't pull me in. Pillars of Eternity suffers from the same problem. It just drags on and on. "Show, not Tell" is something that these rpg designers totally ignore.

I really think the reason that it worked so well in the original Wasteland was that they were very much restricted in what they could fit into the machine - from memory it was 4 'sides' of a C64 so 4x170k in total for the whole game and they used some creative ways to fit more of the story in

From the wikipedia page

Quote:
One of the other features of this game was the inclusion of a printed collection of paragraphs which the game would instruct the player to read at the appropriate times.[4] These paragraphs described encounters and conversations, contained clues, and added to the overall texture of the game. Because programming space was at a premium, it saved on resources to have most of the game's story printed out in a separate manual rather than store it within the game's code itself. The paragraph books also served as a rudimentary form of copy protection, as someone playing a copied version of the game would miss out on much of the story as well as clues necessary to progress. Additionally, the paragraphs included a completely unrelated story line[3] about a mission to Mars intended to mislead those who read the paragraphs when not instructed to, and a false set of passwords that would trip up cheaters with results that ranged from character sex changes to unintentionally detonating a bomb.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

zaphod79 wrote:
its using the 'bards tale' engine and one of the first post apocalyptic RPG's (along with Origin's Autoduel)

Speaking of Bard's Tale, a new one is lighting up Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/in ... ds-tale-iv

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:18 
Excellent Member

zaphod79 wrote:
RuySan wrote:

I really think the reason that it worked so well in the original Wasteland was that they were very much restricted in what they could fit into the machine - from memory it was 4 'sides' of a C64 so 4x170k in total for the whole game and they used some creative ways to fit more of the story in

From the wikipedia page

Quote:
One of the other features of this game was the inclusion of a printed collection of paragraphs which the game would instruct the player to read at the appropriate times.[4] These paragraphs described encounters and conversations, contained clues, and added to the overall texture of the game. Because programming space was at a premium, it saved on resources to have most of the game's story printed out in a separate manual rather than store it within the game's code itself. The paragraph books also served as a rudimentary form of copy protection, as someone playing a copied version of the game would miss out on much of the story as well as clues necessary to progress. Additionally, the paragraphs included a completely unrelated story line[3] about a mission to Mars intended to mislead those who read the paragraphs when not instructed to, and a false set of passwords that would trip up cheaters with results that ranged from character sex changes to unintentionally detonating a bomb.

Yes, i had the Interplay collection from the mid 90's that besides Wasteland also had Dragon Wars which used the same system. The Crpgaddict (http://crpgaddict.blogspot.pt/) covered that quite well. I do remember reading that huge manual in the bathroom. So much that it got all moldy :nerd:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:39 
Excellent Member

I put The Magic Circle on my wishlist after seeing Jim Sterling play it for a while but it's good to see it get some more mainstream coverage there as well. The gist of it is that you're a QA tester playing a game that's in development hell. You're trying to work your way through the unfinished levels by manipulating the environment and enemies while also playing witness to the ongoing infighting that's led to the current state of affairs. So in part a game industry satire, but with some unique and interesting mechanics that mean it looks to stand on it's own as a game as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 13:24 
Esoteric

I finished my first season on Pcars the other day :) I'm now ready to drive the 250cc season.

Been playing lots of Borderlands with Mrs JC also and we're nearly finished the main story now, then it's onto the DLC.

Changing out two GPUs for one will hopefully allow me to play

Wolfenstein : The old blood because I've been itching to play that.

Oh and I got Batman for free. It's not bad at all really but it's buggy and a bit of a mess. At 4k though it really is one stunningly pretty mess :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:43 
Excellent Member

Cardhunter is brilliantly addicting. Anyone who feels bored should try this. It's got so much more depth.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:56 
Awesome
Yes

RuySan wrote:
Cardhunter is brilliantly addicting. Anyone who feels bored should try this. It's got so much more depth.

addictive

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:00 
Excellent Member

Mr Russell wrote:
RuySan wrote:

addictive

Addicting is a real word and apparently appropriate in this sense. Though it does sound completely made up and makes me grind my teeth every time I see anyone use it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:27 
Excellent Member

ok

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Isn't it American English?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 21:47 
Esoteric

Well it's been gaming all day for me. I've mainly been playing Metro 2033 : Redux as I never played it before. When the first one came out my GTX 470 was not really man enough to run it at any decent clip so I gave it a wide berth. Then, about two years back I played Metro Last Light and absolutely fell in love with it. The only thing is, a lot of Metro 2033 is actually in Last Light so it does all feel a bit samey right now. I'm hoping that it changes up a bit more as I get into the story more. I shouldn't have done it backward though, but what turned out to be a "let's just have a quick sneaky peak of the graphics" turned into an 8 day love affair :) Last Light really was a class act.

I also put in another couple of hours into Project Cars, but I can't say I really care for it. It's too simmy for me and I'm more of an arcadey sort of bloke when it comes to racers. I'm kinda hoping that NFS Underground or whatever the new one is called actually has some substance, instead of being like a protein shake like the last few.

I would guess that Metro will keep me busy for at least a few days though, though even in Spartan mode I'm still having issues finding sodding ammo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 23:14 

JohnCoffey wrote:
I also put in another couple of hours into Project Cars, but I can't say I really care for it. It's too simmy for me and I'm more of an arcadey sort of bloke when it comes to racers. I'm kinda hoping that NFS Underground or whatever the new one is called actually has some substance, instead of being like a protein shake like the last few.

There's a free demo for The Crew now, you could give that a try.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:45 
Esoteric

Yeah I may try it. Problem is it's UBIsoft and their stuff is horrible.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 23:29 
Esoteric

Well I completed what's there of Dirt Rally earlier. Sod me, it's hard isn't it? no aids and the tracks are tiny.

Then I put in a few more hours on Metro 2033 : Redux and got past a couple of really hard bits so I was dead pleased with myself :) must say though it does feel like I am playing Last Light again. Very, very similar to the sequel.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:43 
Excellent Member

MirrorMoon EP looks well worth a shout at current price of £1.32. I've had it installed for a while but haven't got round to playing it yet.

And Niko: Through the Dream looks like a fairly relaxed and very pretty puzzler that's worth your time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 20:49 
Excellent Member

I spent some time this evening playing around with TriDef 3D. It's an app you run on your PC which converts games to 3D; as in to use with 3D glasses type of 3D. So only of any interest if you've got a 3D TV basically. I only tried it with a few games because (a) I've only got a few games installed and (b) my machine's getting on a bit now so wouldn't be capable of running anything modern in the dual rendering required for this stuff to work. Candidates were:

• Portal 2: This worked pretty well. The only problem is that the reticle was a wee bit annoying as it distracted from the 3D every time your eyes focussed on it. That's easily turned off with a console command but then, of course, aiming's a pain in the arse. Oh, and I had to turn off AA as per TriDef's on-screen advice otherwise it ran like crap. The only significant fuckup is that the water effects came off a bit weird and distracting in places but it's not like you spend a lot of time looking at water in Portal.
  • Tomb Raider: Legend: I expected good results here as it's the oldest game I tried so the performance should've been good but there was something janky about the way it drew shadows so they came out all fucked up in 3D. Things were much improved with those turned off but overall it just didn't feel very good; and it suffered from a variation on Portal's water render weirdness.
  • Tomb Raider: Underworld: By far the best result, the 3D was flawless right from the start with and everything looked great. I can see me playing this all the way through with the 3D turned on. Excellent stuff.
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum: I had relatively high hopes for this but something went tits up with .Net updates when I first launched it and it's gubbed. I deleted it and am reinstalling now so will probably give it another shot tomorrow.

The only other thing I considered was the newest Tomb Raider game but to run that with the dual rendering going on I'll need to turn pretty much everything off so it'll look horrible even if I can get it to run. I can't turn the resolution down because I found out early on my TV won't switch into 3D mode unless the input signal is full 1080p for some reason. I might try it out at the same time as Batman though because why not? Oh, and I've just remembered that I've got Battlefield 3 hanging around so I could that too; though I expect the same performance issues as for TR.

So the results are mixed and the entire enterprise is hamstrung by my shitty PC but if you had the rig for it I reckon it would run modern games very well; and certainly when it work, as in Tomb Raider: Anniversary, it's very impressive stuff. I can't imagine anyone else has a 3D TV and their PC hooked up to it but, if you do, it's worth a shot as it's pretty painless to setup and there's a free 14 day trial at that link.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 21:15 
Bad Girl

I like the word janky. It sounds like something Ice Cube used to say when he was awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 21:54 
Excellent Member

Further experiments:

• Binary Domain: the actual 3D effect is very good but it runs like utter shit and is unplayablr as soon as the shooting starts.
  • Battlefield 3: surprisingly, this looks really good and actually seems to run at a playable rate. I didn't play too much of it but it certainly looked the part. In fact the biggest issue were the controls; the core stuff is available on various control pad buttons but random things aren't. So, for instance, I had to cross to my PC and hit the left mouse button or space at certain points in the intro mission just to get past them, which was really odd.
  • Tomb Raider (the new one): as I was setting this up I noticed that it actually has a built-in 3D option which I hadn't even heard about and it looks fucking incredible frankly. It also seems to be very playable and I went through the first intro type section quite happily. Whenever I get round the playing this properly I'll proably play it normally with the settings as high up as my machine will take it just to see how smooth I can get it to run and then decide whether it's worth turning stuff down to get the 3D effect.

So, weirdly, the newer the game the better experience I seem to have.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 23:07 
Esoteric

That Tomb Raider is the business. One of gaming's better moments.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 13:20 
Esoteric

So for the past couple of days I have been playing The Witcher 3. I had issues with it before that turned out to be a bug in the drivers that caused horrid flickering with Gsync enabled. Now that I am on one GPU the game runs beautifully.

And I must say that even though I am totally not into medieval sort of games it really is grabbing me. Possibly down to how beautifully made it is and how utterly stunning it is to look at. Still had a few moments where I have laughed though (the partially naked woman at the start looks like a Real Doll (TM). And then later on the same woman had a hair stuck on her neck that was a total pube :D Good old Hairworks, eh?

But yeah overall the game is beautifully made and very easy to get into (and hard to put down also !).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:23 
Excellent Member

I played a single level prototype of Party Hard a while back and really enjoyed it. I suspect it won't be the most engaging thing long-term but it was amusing enough that I'll happily pick it up. General pitch: you've been driven to violence by the ongoing noise coming from a nearby party so you work your way through the environment trying to bump off all the party-goers using environment traps and stabbing without getting spotted or arrested.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:26 
Excellent Member

Oh, and the protoype is still playable in your browser here:

http://gamejolt.com/games/party-hard/38699

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:43 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
I played a single level prototype of Party Hard a while back and really enjoyed it. I suspect it won't be the most engaging thing long-term but it was amusing enough that I'll happily pick it up. General pitch: you've been driven to violence by the ongoing noise coming from a nearby party so you work your way through the environment trying to bump off all the party-goers using environment traps and stabbing without getting spotted or arrested.

The pitch drew me in, the YouTube videos sealed the deal and now I wants it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 14:03 
Esoteric

Dying Light. I tried to be good at this before but became stuck because I didn't know how to kill lots of zombies. I really didn't concentrate on crafting and it cost me. Now? throw in some fireworks get them all in then chuck in a molatov or throw some exploding stars at their heads.

A great game it really is :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:11 
Excellent Member

I'm quite confused by Abyss Odyssey. On one hand it looks lovely and kind of reminds me of the aesthetics of Shadow of the Beast 2, right to the coins coming from the bashed chests. On the other hand, the movement is a bit sluggish reminding me of Super Smash Bros, which is a series that never did anything for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:21 
UltraMod

I've found our perfect co-op game, Bamba.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... ime-review

-edit- local co-op only, sadly. :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:24 
Gogmagog

Future Warrior wrote:

I need something like that for the PS4. And a econd controller that isn't £50. And a friend. <sobs>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:
I need something like that for the PS4. And a econd controller that isn't £50.

Got ur back, bruv http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStatio ... controller

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:33 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I need something like that for the PS4. And a econd controller that isn't £50.

Got ur back, bruv http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStatio ... controller

Nice one. Ta. To the PS4 thread as I might have questions before I buy!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:37 
Bad Girl

Future Warrior wrote:

That looks brilliant. Adding that to my list, ta.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:54 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:

I think there is chat about patching in internet co-op isn't there? I might've made that up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:12 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:

I think there is chat about patching in internet co-op isn't there? I might've made that up.

Then it's a date!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:49 
Excellent Member

I'm not a massive fan of classic point-and-click games these days but this sounds fucked up and affecting enough to be well worth playing:

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/09/dropsy-review/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:01 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
I'm not a massive fan of classic point-and-click games these days but this sounds fucked up and affecting enough to be well worth playing:

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/09/dropsy-review/

Ta.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 15:55 
Excellent Member

The devs responsible for the original Amnesia game have released a new one called SOMA which is getting very good reviews all over the place:

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/soma-re ... 0-6416245/ (9/10)
http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/09/ ... d-the-sea/ (8/10)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... oma-review (Recommended)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 15:57 
Esoteric

Mad Max. I'm quite pleasantly surprised how good it is, too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 17:48 
Excellent Member

I'm completely addicted to Path of Exile. Best Diablo clone ever. I bought Diablo 3 a few days ago, which eventually led me to return to Path of Exile to check the differences.

Never played Diablo 3 again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:08 
Excellent Member

I was totally not aware of this but apparently The Beginner's Guide, the new game from the developer of The Stanley Parable, is out in a couple of days.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:11 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
I was totally not aware of this but apparently The Beginner's Guide, the new game from the developer of The Stanley Parable, is out in a couple of days.

Nice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 20:23 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Nice.

So this is awesome apparently, which is nice:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... ide-review

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-beg ... 0-6416261/

http://www.destructoid.com/review-the-b ... 3130.phtml

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 15:46 
Excellent Member

For shits and giggles I was checking how much the Steam calculator thinks my Steam library is worth when I noticed a weird entry at the bottom for 'The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux'. It turns out that to make it easier to port the game to the current gen consoles the devs re-did the game entirely in the Unreal 4 Engine (the original was in UE3) so they made that version available to PC buyers for free as well. It's a separate install and you'll need to go and get it even if you've already got the current version on your machine but it might be worth a look.

Full details of what and why here:

http://www.theastronauts.com/2015/09/th ... x-out-now/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 16:09 
Excellent Member

I'm back playing Skyrim, done the game and most of the side quests, so these days I play on God Mode with a levelled up character and just wander around doing the main plot as and when I feel like it

Still finding new side quests as well as adding in Mods and the DLC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 23:24 
Bad Girl

Lost Planet 3 is boring. I'd have more fun shaving my balls with a blunt razor after contracting Parkinson's.

Not only does it somehow make Mechs boring but IT MAKES MECHS BORING. Mechs, of course, aren't boring as Lost Planet 1 & 2 and a whole bunch of Manga vids show. But then again Japanese games making folk are cool as fuck and western games are made after substantial testing by a bunch of guys in suits who talk about "franchises."

So Lost Planet 3 ditches every single thing that made Lost Planet 1/2 cool and shoves you in a mech that is about as shapely and exciting as a Tupperware bowl with arms and legs.

The basics aren't too bad though: it looks quite nice with some very good weather effects and decent looking cold environments; the guy even has a fun vault over a box move (oh yeah, it's gone Gears of War with the main characters look, and some cover based shooting *yawn*) and it's very responsive to move about and shoot stuff with some weighty feeling guns.

It even gives you a decent impression as to what it might be like to drive a big mech about and it even has some good ideas about that too. You might hit some bad icy weather and have the window of the mech completely freeze up. Since driving a mech is all done in first person without skipping a beat your man will kick the screen and bust open the front door. It's cool, it's we'll done. Hell, you might get some big chunks of rock shatter your window screen too. Again, all done very well.

But you can't forgive the rest of it.

The mech is so slow and you have to walk it everywhere. The world is connected to a main hub and, seemingly, masses of loading screens. From the garage hub to the front door: loading screen. Front door to the next area: 2/5 minute walk and a loading screen. You get the idea. If you want to cross the world you'll probably have about 10 loads. Invest wren the load screens are long walks. If you get accosted in the mech then the best idea is to avoid conflict and press on because the mech has a grand total of no fucking weapons. Two arms to swing about (one does have a drill though) and that's your lot (well so far, I'm only on the second chapter out of 5) and its tiresome.

Plus those cool effects on your screen? They disappear when you load the next area. Bit shoddy that.

And it's filled with filler. "Jim, go get the transponder" "Jim come back" "Jim, meet the captain" "Jim go get your mech" "Jim take the mech over there" "Jim, come back." The worse filler bullshit is between missions. You walk to A, do whatever, then you have to walk all the way back, park up the mech, walk to see the captain who then talks to you for 10 seconds to tell you to go take the mech some place else for another boring mission. You've got a fucking radio in the mech, hell, the fuckers won't stop talking to you throughout your boring walks in the snow, so why do I have to go fucking talk to some guy via no less than 4 fucking load screens just to run back to get in the mech and get out into the world again. It's cheap filler because however made this doesn't want you to have any fun. They want character building or some shit because there's no need for this unless the rest of the content in this game is so few that they have to hide it behind a bunch of slow walks back and forth.

Could you imagine this in Lost Planet 1/2? You'd have a heart attack. No, Lost Planet 2 has you fighting pirates and giant worms whilst riding a massive tumble dryer with 4 of your mates or randoms. Every minute was filled with some stupid shit. Oh and a grapple hook you could use ANYWHERE. The grapple here - only at fixed points highlighted of course. Lame. It's gone backwards. LP1/2 was entertaining nonsense with some funky mechs slipping and sliding in the snow with giant weapons and hand cannons. LP3? Gears of War clone.

Who thought that was a good idea?

Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next