Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The PC Gaming Topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 14:46 
Excellent Member

The video on the Steam page make it sound a lot like the recent, and lovely looking, Hitman game for iOS/Android which, coincidentally, is also on sale at the moment.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 0:29 
Excellent Member

The latest Indie Gala bundles includes two games I'm very interested in: Lily Looking Through and Lifeless Planet. Together they'd cost about £22 but you can pay what you want. Lily Looking Through I'm less convinced by to be fair but Lifeless Planet looks awesome:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... net-review

The full list of games in the bundle is:

• Voyager
  • Porradaria Upgrade
  • Fester Mudd
  • Curse of the Gold - Ep. 1
  • Truffle Saga
  • Pixel Puzzles Japan
  • Lilly Looking Through
  • Lifeless Planet
  • Leisure Suit Larry
  • Reloaded
  • Cold War
  • Us and Them
  • R.I.P.D.
  • The Game
  • Racer 8
  • Shiny The Firefly

There may be other decent stuff in that list so I need to do a trawl tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:34 
Unpossible!

Agreed on lifeless planet, it looks boss. Like a cross between Hunter and Exile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:33 
Bad Girl

It isn't anything like Hunter as far as I've read. It's been categorised along the likes of Dear Ester in that it's a quiet walk along a linear path but with the odd fiddly puzzle thrown in. I'll let Bamba dip his toe first!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:20 
Unpossible!

Like hunter in that you wander around a big open space, innit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:39 
Bad Girl

I just had to look up whether it had a story or anything. Apparently there were 3 game modes and none of them involved trying to find a bicycle to zoom about on. Apparently I'd invented that game mode and yet it as the only way I knew how to play. Tch. Memories...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 20:06 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
I just had to look up whether it had a story or anything. Apparently there were 3 game modes and none of them involved trying to find a bicycle to zoom about on. Apparently I'd invented that game mode and yet it as the only way I knew how to play. Tch. Memories...

I've read this post three times through and am still none the wiser. Whatever you're talking about sounds awesome though so I'm interested in a fuller explanation?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 20:20 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

I've read this post three times through and am still none the wiser. Whatever you're talking about sounds awesome though so I'm interested in a fuller explanation?

Hunter was a game where you had to do missions (explode tank, destroy x) in an open world. There were lots of vehicles including a windsurf board and a bike. It was pretty fun but cars ran out of fuel.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 20:26 
Unpossible!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_(video_game)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 20:29 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

*loads up Hunter*

*spends 20 minutes trying to find the push bike*

"WEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee"

*turns off 5 minutes later*

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 20:54 
Participant in dramatic games

think i will be horrible now, but i really loved just roaming around, windsurfing from one island to another.. there was a story mode and a mission mode..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:22 
UltraMod

I loved Hunter. I just felt so lonely wandering around. In a good way.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 21:06 
Bad Girl

So I'm looking through the humble bundle week sales thing and I watch a video for Door Kickers which is apparently *spits* early access. Then I watch this guy (youtube link herewith) playing it (for about 8 minutes - the bloody thing is 22 minutes long) and he appears to be enjoying himself so much that I now want it. He's playing the Alpha but it's apparently now in the BETA Stage (this is a link to the trailer on youtube by the way).

Also, that guy's voice did not make me want to instantly slice two of my fingers off and glue the severed digits into my ear holes. Which was nice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 15:00 
Bad Girl

Wasteland 2 is all up in my Steam account's face.

I watched the trailer and I liked the bit with rows of hanging bodies which looked creepy, but is it any good and would I like it? TELL ME NOW.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 16:35 
Bad Girl

Oh fuck me.

Sorry, can someone help me out again cause I'm a fucking knob.

I've just purchased STALKER: Cher Knob Hell on Steam. I've installed. I've clicked play.

Then my TV goes "Invalid format" and it won't display owt.

For fucks sake. Any ideas for fixing this sheeeeeet? I really wanted to play it. :'( :S :droool:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 16:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

No you didn't, it's awful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 16:43 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Saturnalian wrote:
Oh fuck me.

Sorry, can someone help me out again cause I'm a fucking knob.

I've just purchased STALKER: Cher Knob Hell on Steam. I've installed. I've clicked play.

Then my TV goes "Invalid format" and it won't display owt.

For fucks sake. Any ideas for fixing this sheeeeeet? I really wanted to play it. :'( :S :droool:

Try this

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1110630

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 17:08 
Bad Girl

Bloody hell. Notepad? Ok, I'll give it a punt.

Cras, you played it with the 2012 mod?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 18:22 
Bad Girl

I've only gone and bloody done it. Copied files, replaced stuff, did some notepadding, and even installed a mod. Truly I am a PC gamer now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 21:59 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

LEDs all the way now! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:25 

Saturnalian wrote:
I've only gone and bloody done it. Copied files, replaced stuff, did some notepadding, and even installed a mod. Truly I am a PC gamer now.

Hooray!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:34 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Saturnalian wrote:
Wasteland 2 is all up in my Steam account's face.

I watched the trailer and I liked the bit with rows of hanging bodies which looked creepy, but is it any good and would I like it? TELL ME NOW.

If your unsure - CDkeys are selling a steam key for £14.99

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/wastelan ... -key-steam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 13:52 
Excellent Member

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter has me somewhat drooling. Part walking simulator, part interactive story, part puzzle-y detective game and very pretty no matter how you look at it. I suspect there'll be a Eurogamer review at some point but so far it's not doing too badly and the Gamespot review is more than enough to make me want it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 14:01 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter has me somewhat drooling. Part walking simulator, part interactive story, part puzzle-y detective game and very pretty no matter how you look at it. I suspect there'll be a Eurogamer review at some point but so far it's not doing too badly and the Gamespot review is more than enough to make me want it.

I was interested until I read about the detective aspects. I just wanted to wander around, not hunt for clues.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 14:56 
Excellent Member

American Nervoso wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I was interested until I read about the detective aspects. I just wanted to wander around, not hunt for clues.

I dunno, I think having actual objectives adds the focus that a pure walking simulator lacks. I enjoy Dear Esther et al for what they are, but having some actual reason to wander around is a better idea I think. As long as there's no time pressure or way to die or anything like that. Hell, even make them optional if you want, but, on balance, I'd prefer to have something to do as well as stuff to look at.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 15:44 

Bamba wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I dunno, I think having actual objectives adds the focus that a pure walking simulator lacks. I enjoy Dear Esther et al for what they are, but having some actual reason to wander around is a better idea I think. As long as there's no time pressure or way to die or anything like that. Hell, even make them optional if you want, but, on balance, I'd prefer to have something to do as well as stuff to look at.

I fancy this, but it just seems a tad too expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 16:42 
Excellent Member

A pretty glowing EG review that has me strongly considering letting this leapfrog the queue of other stuff I've got and playing it this week:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... ter-review

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:15 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Here's a blog I've been enjoying for the last week or so...

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2010/02/ ... -here.html

It's the experience of a gentleman who is attempting to play every RPG that has been released on the PC...he's currently up to 1990.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:13 
Excellent Member

I've been following that blog for a long time, it's excellent. Don't know how he manages to play so many hours, though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:58 
La Bamba

Ain't gonna lie, Ethan Carter is gorgeous. Sadly if you push it it can be a little linear, though I did get a reward venturing off the beaten path for a while..

Now that I have stratospheric power in my rig I've been playing some of the top flight stuff. I already played through Metro : Last Light twice (struggling to keep settings maxed in places on 670 SLI) but when Redux came along I started it again. I'm currently about 60% through.. It's much smoother and prettier !

I recently completed Wolfenstein TNO. A pleasant surprise was how long it was, just a shame about the appalling ending...

I also decided to try Crysis 3 again with absolute maximum settings but sadly my attention vanished again at the same point it did before (when you reach the seph, ceph, whatever they want to call it).

Tried playing Watchdogs but it was so buggy and UPLAY is so annoying that I just gave up.

Next game I look forward to is The Evil Within. I was sold as soon as I heard the classical music. Shame it's slated to run at 30 FPS but hopefully if it isn't that fast paced it may be OK.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 15:30 
Excellent Member

Endless Legends is great. If they patch the very passive AI, it can get to be among the best 4x games ever, right there with Alpha Centauri.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:30 
Excellent Member

I think I've got this on my wishlist already anyway but it looks pretty good:

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/tri-of- ... 0-6415916/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 16:40 
Excellent Member

This was on my radar mostly due to intrigue at what the guys behind the Serious Sam games would do with a puzzle game and it appears they've made something a bit good with The Talos Principle. I notice there's some kind of intro/demo/test thing available as a free download from Steam that's probably worth checking out if you're interested but not sure about it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:02 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
This was on my radar mostly due to intrigue at what the guys behind the Serious Sam games would do with a puzzle game and it appears they've made something a bit good with The Talos Principle. I notice there's some kind of intro/demo/test thing available as a free download from Steam that's probably worth checking out if you're interested but not sure about it.

Ta.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:27 
UltraMod

It's getting a PS4 release early next year, so I'll wait for that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:56 
Excellent Member

American Nativity wrote:

I did wonder about that given that it seems to be the normal route now for anything of interest (and long may it continue!) so yeah, I'll be joining you on the PS4 version after probably playing the PC demo at least.

Usually I'd be happy to pick it up on the PC, and certainly it'll end up cheaper there no doubt, but there's long been something slightly fucked with my PC. It'll play older and lower-requirement indie stuff fine, but anything too taxing and it does loads of weird micro-stutters (e.g. the Vanishing of Ethan Carter was a real pain in the ass but Tomb Raider: Legend played smooth as silk at 1080p60 throughout) so I don't entirely trust it now for newer stuff. It needs a full upgrade anyway but in the last few months I've

• Bought a new phone
  • Bought a new tablet
  • Am about to buy a PS4
  • Had to kit the flat out a bit with a new TV and whanot
  • Spend a chunk of change getting the flat done up

So I can't really justify another <best part of a bloody grand> on a new PC that will largely be a glorified indie machine. It's all just bad timing given that, the phone notwithstanding, all the other kit's been ticking along for years and just, annoyingly, all needed sorted out at once but still. Maybe if I get a decent bonus in January (ahahahahaha!).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:04 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
American Nativity wrote:

I did wonder about that given that it seems to be the normal route now for anything of interest (and long may it continue!) so yeah, I'll be joining you on the PS4 version after probably playing the PC demo at least.

Usually I'd be happy to pick it up on the PC, and certainly it'll end up cheaper there no doubt, but there's long been something slightly fucked with my PC. It'll play older and lower-requirement indie stuff fine, but anything too taxing and it does loads of weird micro-stutters (e.g. the Vanishing of Ethan Carter was a real pain in the ass but Tomb Raider: Legend played smooth as silk at 1080p60 throughout) so I don't entirely trust it now for newer stuff. It needs a full upgrade anyway but in the last few months I've

• Bought a new phone
  • Bought a new tablet
  • Am about to buy a PS4

So I can't really justify another <best part of a bloody grand> on a new PC that will largely be a glorified indie machine. It's all just bad timing given that, the phone notwithstanding, all the other kit's been ticking along for years and just, annoyingly, all needed sorted out at once but still. Maybe if I get a decent bonus in January (ahahahahaha!).

I'm much in the same position - my MacBook will play most stuff but I'll get it on PS4 when I can considering I prefer a living room experience. I'll probably shell out for a new PC/Oculus Rift combo at some point 2015/16, but that can wait.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:16 
Excellent Member

American Nativity wrote:
Bamba wrote:
American Nativity wrote:

• Bought a new phone
  • Bought a new tablet
  • Am about to buy a PS4

I'm much in the same position - my MacBook will play most stuff but I'll get it on PS4 when I can considering I prefer a living room experience. I'll probably shell out for a new PC/Oculus Rift combo at some point 2015/16, but that can wait.

My PC's currently hooked directly up to the living room TV so as long as a game can be played with an Xbox pad stuff works just as well that way as it does on a console. So currently for 'indie' games the argument comes down to 'potentially cheaper on the PC' vs 'no chance of driver etc issues on a console'. For proper games it's console all the way at the moment because I can trust them to run properly there and I can swap/trade stuff when I'm done. If I upgraded my PC though I could potentially buy any game on either platform.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 13:57 
UltraMod

Satellite Reign, the spiritual successor to Syndicate Wars is out on Steam Early Access today. One to keep an eye on:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/268870/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:16 
Excellent Member

The Dream Machine is soooo good.

It annoys me every time i read about the greatness of old point & click classics, as if no good games of this genre are being made nowadays (see Cobbet's top 25 adventure games for PC Gamer for proof).

We're living a golden age of point & click adventures right now. Just enjoy them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:15 
Excellent Member

I post this mostly for Sat's interest but Shelter 2 is apparently out. I'm still too chickenshit to play the first one but that's a pretty savage review of the sequel so it doesn't sound like I'm missing much with that installment.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 13:27 
Excellent Member

Ziggurat is the closest we got so far for a first person Binding of Isaac. Play it, it's fun (and better than Tower of Guns)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 13:28 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
I post this mostly for Sat's interest but Shelter 2 is apparently out. I'm still too chickenshit to play the first one but that's a pretty savage review of the sequel so it doesn't sound like I'm missing much with that installment.

Destructoid is a terrible site for dudebros though.

http://www.destructoid.com/dmc-devil-ma ... 8347.phtml

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 13:49 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:

I've had to go back and remind myself what I thought about Shelter and I've rediscovered that I thought it was shit. Sharn't be trying Shelter 2 then.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 14:35 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Destructoid is a terrible site for dudebros though.

http://www.destructoid.com/dmc-devil-ma ... 8347.phtml

It earned it's place in my RSS list mostly because Jim Sterling used to write for then but they do also review stuff that doesn't get mentioned elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 15:14 
Excellent Member

As far as mainstream gaming sites go, destructoid is one of the best. The only two other gaming sites that i read are RPS and Eurogamer (which isn't half as good as it used to be though...same for RPS).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 14:13 
Excellent Member

Ori and the Blind Forest seems to be getting a lot of love at the moment so it's been firmly added to my wishlist. The Steam page for it's here. It's also out on the Xbone but who gives a shit about that?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:30 
Excellent Member

Any1 in here who plays

Verdun
Rise of Flight
IL2 - Battle of Stalingrad

on Steam?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 13:01 
Excellent Member

Rayman Legends very well might be the best platformer I've ever played.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 14:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Yeah I gave it a serious bit of loving over in the Wii U thread, it's absolutely fucking glorious.

The brilliance of the music attack style levels is just the sumptuous icing on a cake of unbridled magnificence.

Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next