Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The PC Gaming Topic
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 17:48 
Paws for thought

T'was the riposte tutorial which eventually did it.

"Parry, and wait for the symbol to change and click for riposte"

Except, of course, the icon never appeared. Because it requires having not parried more than once or something. But it doesn't tell you that.

Trying the second time, I got past that but thought screw it after neither the traps nor daggers didn't work as described and being introduced to the 28th different key to learn*.

* - An exaggeration, but not by much.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 23:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Dave wrote:
T'was the riposte tutorial which eventually did it.

"Parry, and wait for the symbol to change and click for riposte"

Except, of course, the icon never appeared. Because it requires having not parried more than once or something. But it doesn't tell you that..

Very much like Dark Souls of course, where the tutorial shows you how to do a jumping slash. Unless, of course, you choose the dex class, which gives you a rapier, which you can't do a jumping slash with. But it doesn't tell you that..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 0:05 
Paws for thought

Although that doesn't stop you continuing with the game. /Unlike this which just won't go to the next step until you've done it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 0:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It does when you spend ages trying to work out why you can't make it work :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:04 
Excellent Member

Are you playing with the Enhanced version, or Director's Cut, or whatever it was called? Because i remember that the tutorial was much better and easier after that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 14:53 
Paws for thought

RuySan wrote:
Are you playing with the Enhanced version, or Director's Cut, or whatever it was called? Because i remember that the tutorial was much better and easier after that.

Yeah.

Sends you off to some arena to learn things after healing a knight before dropping you into the story.

Which I'm also not convinced with - QTEs are a very good way to makes me look very dubiously toward your game because it's just shit and lazy design. And I'm still thinking the controls in non QTE combat are a bit rubbish.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 22:32 
Excellent Member

The combat in the first game was indeed awful, but i still liked the game because of its wonderful and exotic setting and plot.

On the second one i loved the combat, and i don't even remember the QTE's. The combat is very deadly, both for you and your opponents, and that's something i really enjoy. I hate hit point sponges like in Skyrim. Obviously after Witcher 2 came Dark Souls which raised the bar for combat in action RPG's, so maybe i would look differently now.

But seriously, try at least to get into the game properly. The forest that surrounds the first city is probably the most gorgeous place, in technical terms, i've seen on a computer. The plot and dialogue is excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 18:23 
Excellent Member

Retro city rampage is a bit shit, isn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:25 
Bad Girl

Yes.

Probably.

I only played the demo ages ago and it was shit. Surprisingly shitter than I ever thought it could be.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:26 
Bad Girl

Anyhoo, I've been playing a bit of TOWER OF GUNS.

Cor, it’s propah old skool, init?

I was almost continually circle strafing for a good hour yesterday. I ain’t done that in ages. Plus, I haven’t been shot at by a big fucking cannon that fires 9 missiles at a time neither. Ever. I like it. A lot. It’s facking nuts, you can’t sit still, and you can triple jump right from the start if you want. Yes, TRIPLE. If you ain’t dodging thirty rockets at a time, you ain’t playing this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:04 
Paws for thought

Saturnalian wrote:
Anyhoo, I've been playing a bit of TOWER OF GUNS.

Cor, it’s propah old skool, init?

I was almost continually circle strafing for a good hour yesterday. I ain’t done that in ages. Plus, I haven’t been shot at by a big fucking cannon that fires 9 missiles at a time neither. Ever. I like it. A lot. It’s facking nuts, you can’t sit still, and you can triple jump right from the start if you want. Yes, TRIPLE. If you ain’t dodging thirty rockets at a time, you ain’t playing this.

Hurrah.
I really missed the having to dance around bullets that used to be common but no longer is, replaced.with having to hide behind walls, so this game was like a breath of fresh air. No enemies with hitscan weapons? Glorious.

Also quintuple jumping.

Also also : bastard hard. Still not managed to beat the second boss.

Wishlist includes slightly less floaty jumps and a greater liklihood of a weapon drop during the game*, having a few more options from differwnt weapon types during one run would be good.

* I've read they happen, but never seen it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:24 
Bad Girl

I got murderized by the third boss, yesterday. His armoury included:

[*]Hundreds of bullets
[*]Circling laser beams
[*]Exploding mines
[*]Buzzsaw bots
[*]Ginormo rockets

Oh, AT THE SAME FUCKING TIME. It's brilliant.

EDIT: I like the floaty jumps, by the way. There's nowt like skipping over an arena bouncing firey death from above.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:35 
Paws for thought

I said slightly. Also slighlty higher to compensate.

Also the "story" can be highly amusing depending on ehich one you get.

Sadly I remember none of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:49 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

I've always discounted Tower of guns purely because it had a crap name. I'd never bothered to open its page on Steam and look at the video. I thought it was just more dross like Pixels Will Bleed or whatever games that have equally crap names. Looks interesting. Pity I only find out about this AFTER THE MEGA SALE.

From the mega sale I've been playing Infested Planet. It has that stressful, adrenaline inducing being-attacked-from-all-sides thing that is present in all the best RTS and you're attacked by a huge number of aliens. Definitely over a thousand at a time? HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:36 
Excellent Member

I had Lifeless Planet on my wishlist while it was going through it's early access phase, and I think I mentioned here it at some point, as it looked very interesting so I'm glad that EG review bears it out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:14 
SavyGamer

Tower of Guns is indeed amazing and it is cheap again here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 19:16 
Bad Girl

SHURRUPAYAFACE.

*Incoming awesome*

THE BEST DOOM GAME THAT ISN'T DOOM IS ON STEAM. In fact, it's better than Doom. In fact; as in "factualness".

But for some reason they've renamed it a bit. Actually it's renamed cause it's got all the DLC and shit probably. That gameBLOOD. Or to give it the name that they're selling it as ONE WHOLE UNIT BLOOD. Which is a crap name. Obv.

It has got:

Better level design than Doom.
A better shotgun than Doom.
Ian's Official Stamp of Awesome (non-refundable).

Now, if anyone buys this then I give you my solemn promise to play multiplayer with you because it has also got:

Kick-ass multiplayer maps including:
Football pitch.
Opposing castle map.

And how much for the slice of classic? Less than £4. I know, right? A-Maze. Mind you, it's donkeys years old. It's funnier than Duke Nukem too.

Say it with me "We want Jojo, Jojo, JOJO".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 19:30 
Excellent Member

I have the game on gog but I didn't have as much fun as I remember it. It's too hard and there isn't enough ammo and enemies.

I will probably replay serious Sam or painkiller when I'm in the mood for something in this genre.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 19:46 
Bad Girl

TOO HARD!? You don't know you're born, lad. Back in my day if our hands were contorted with painful blisters we hadn't played enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 20:27 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:
TOO HARD!? You don't know you're born, lad. Back in my day if our hands were contorted with painful blisters we hadn't played enough.

Why, did your controllers secrete a soothing balm?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 20:48 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Blood 2 was better than Blood 1. Also: Flare guns! Such a good weapon.

Wasn't better than Doom (PBUH) though.

EDIT: I just look up Blood 2. It is 3d? I don't remember this and it looks rubbish! Was there an expansion to Blood or something? I definitely remember their being Blood and then something even better than Blood...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 21:36 
Bad Girl

American Nervoso wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Why, did your controllers secrete a soothing balm?

I secreted something resembling balm on your mum's face.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 21:41 
Bad Girl

Pod wrote:

EDIT: I just look up Blood 2. It is 3d? I don't remember this and it looks rubbish! Was there an expansion to Blood or something? I definitely remember their being Blood and then something even better than Blood...

I only discovered the existence of Blood 2 a couple of years ago and it looks terrible. I've never played it but unless I can set fire to monks then I don't wanna play it.

I didn't play anything better than Blood for many years later, but if you're thinking about an expansion then One Whole Unit Blood has some additional content apparently. I'd left the PC scene by that point (or maybe I wasn't really following it) so I've no idea what the extra stuff was/is. I'd be interested to know what it was that you're remembering since if there's something new and exciting Blood related junk that I've never played then I wants to know about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:55 
Excellent Member

Interesting; a mod of Portal 2 which specifically removes the portal gun has just gone on sale on Steam. Apparently Valve's original vision for Portal was to have fixed portals and the player directly use only the 'gels' mechanic, inspired by a student game called 'Tag', but they later scrapped that. This mod is an attempt to create a version of the game in that spirit.

More details here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/280740

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:59 
Excellent Member

Hmm, although someone in the comments of that EG article draws your attention to the fact it's getting slated in the Steam user reviews so, um, it might be shit?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:34 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Saturnalian wrote:
Pod wrote:

I only discovered the existence of Blood 2 a couple of years ago and it looks terrible. I've never played it but unless I can set fire to monks then I don't wanna play it.

I didn't play anything better than Blood for many years later, but if you're thinking about an expansion then One Whole Unit Blood has some additional content apparently. I'd left the PC scene by that point (or maybe I wasn't really following it) so I've no idea what the extra stuff was/is. I'd be interested to know what it was that you're remembering since if there's something new and exciting Blood related junk that I've never played then I wants to know about it.

It's probably just the expansion. Or, if the game had a demo containing levels not in the real game, that and then the real game?

EDIT: FACTS AHOY:

1. Blood was Shareware, which means I would have originally played the entire first episode for FREE.
2. I think I got Blood off of PC Zone or something that wasn't my usual PC gamer. It featured a weird captain's wheel iconed app called "Netscape Navigator" that opened a big list of games on the CD. I was confused at the time about how to properly navigate within this app.
3. After reading about them, I don't remember anything from the Plasma Pack or Crypitc Passages.

THEREFORE:

I probably played the shareware version, completed it, and got excited enough to but the game and play the rest?

Given that I recently replayed Ultimate Doom + Doom 2, which are still some of the most enjoyable games in existence, and the first few episodes of Duke3D, I might given this a go at some point. Only £4 (+ the time to paly it :()

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:28 
Excellent Member

You can now spend £2000 on a graphics card. Madness

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... catid=1914

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:30 
Master of dodgy spelling....

asfish wrote:

wow...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:46 
ugvm'er at heart...

"Tested at 3840x2160, with AA and high settings on a 3960X at 3.3GHz yielded above 40fps in Batman, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, Battlefield 4, Far Cry3, Metro Last Light and Tomb Raider"

40fps on high settings eh? Gosh, how impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:58 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Trooper wrote:
"Tested at 3840x2160, with AA and high settings on a 3960X at 3.3GHz yielded above 40fps in Batman, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, Battlefield 4, Far Cry3, Metro Last Light and Tomb Raider"

Don't you will summon the PC one.......

Are you saying the FPS is less than a console????

:DD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:02 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:

That's a pretty ridiculous resolution to be fair.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:10 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bamba wrote:
Trooper wrote:

True, but they are claiming it is a 4k gaming graphics card. I don't think it is yet...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It's 4K. You can tell because neither of the numbers is 4,000.

[edit] @ , er, whoever was before Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:15 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Trooper wrote:

True, but they are claiming it is a 4k gaming graphics card. I don't think it is yet...

If 3840x2160 is a 4K resolution (I genuinely don't know, though Grim seems to think so) and 40FPS/High settings are an acceptable way to experience games then surely they're the best kind of correct? And certainly for the latter question a mass of XBOX 360/PS3 gamers would seem to be evidence that the answer is, "Yes."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:20 
ugvm'er at heart...

They are the best kind of correct. It is acceptable performance, but for £2.4k i'd want a bit more than acceptable! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:21 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:

Apparently, for some reason, when deciding if something is '4K' or not you look at the vertical resolution rather than the horizontal resolution you would for checking 720/1080p; and 3840 is close enough to 4000 than it gets a pass it seems. You probably know all this already but I've never read up on it before.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:29 
Bad Girl

Get back in your thread!

#unread">viewtopic.php?style=19&f=3&t=5402&view=unread#unread

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Apparently, for some reason, when deciding if something is '4K' or not you look at the vertical resolution rather than the horizontal resolution you would for checking 720/1080p; and 3840 is close enough to 4000 than it gets a pass it seems. You probably know all this already but I've never read up on it before.

720 and 1080 are measured vertically, 4k is measured horizontally. 3840 is the "consumer grade" resolution for 4K, whatever that means.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:35 

3840x2160 has twice as many pixels in each direction as 1080p, so four times as many pixels overall. Shoulda called it "4x".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:44 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
720 and 1080 are measured vertically, 4k is measured horizontally.

Oops, yeah, apologies; I got those the wrong way round despite taking pains not to fuck it up!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:49 

asfish wrote:

Not at all if you're doing pro level GPU compute and need to cram as many FLOPs as possible in. This isn't really a great gaming card, as Anandtech notes, because it's much more expensive and slightly slower than SLI Titans:

Quote:
A big part of how GTX Titan Z is going to be used will in turn depend on who the buyer is. NVIDIA’s compute group is pushing GTX Titan Z as the ultimate compute card at the same time as their gaming group is pushing it as the ultimate gaming card, and like NVIDIA’s other Titan cards this product will be serving two masters. That said it’s clear from NVIDIA’s presentations and discussions with the company that they intend it to be a compute product first and foremost (a fate similar to GTX Titan Black), in which case this is going to be the single most powerful CUDA card NVIDIA has ever released. NVIDIA’s Kepler compute products have been received very well by buyers so far, including the previous Titan cards, so there’s ample evidence that this will continue with GTX Titan Z. At the end of the day the roughly 2.66 TFLOPS of double precision performance on a single card (more than some low-end supercomputers, we hear) is going to be a big deal, especially for users invested in NVIDIA’s CUDA ecosystem.

Gaming on the other hand looks to be murkier. Certainly GTX Titan Z can and will be used as a gaming card (expect to see this one popular in high-end boutique systems), but NVIDIA faces extremely stiff competition from AMD’s recently released Radeon R9 295X2, which at $1500 retails for half the price of GTX Titan Z. Given GTX Titan Z’s sub-Titan Black clockspeeds and higher price, NVIDIA faces an uphill battle here on price and performance, and it makes a lot of sense in light of this why GTX Titan Z is first and foremost a compute card. None the less, with NVIDIA controlling around 2/3rds of the discrete GPU market and GTX Titan Z consuming around 25% less power (on paper), we certainly expect it to appear in gaming systems, especially in builds where price is no object and two cards can be installed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 

Grim... wrote:
720 and 1080 are measured vertically, 4k is measured horizontally. 3840 is the "consumer grade" resolution for 4K, whatever that means.
4K was originally 4096x2160, which is a broadcast video standard that succeeded the 2K 2048x1080 one. But those are 1.9:1 aspect ratio, a little wider than the consumer 16:9 standard. So just as 2048x1080 was mapped to 1920x1080, so 4K is being mapped to 3840x2160.

That last resolution isn't supposed to be called 4K; it's technically "Ultra HD" or UHD. But the 4K name came over from the broadcast standard and stuck, so now manufacturers are also using it in their marketing, and we'll be stuck with it forever.

I still think 4K on TVs is going to flop, BTW.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 22:47 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Saturnalian wrote:
SHURRUPAYAFACE.

*Incoming awesome*

THE BEST DOOM GAME THAT ISN'T DOOM IS ON STEAM. In fact, it's better than Doom. In fact; as in "factualness".

But for some reason they've renamed it a bit. Actually it's renamed cause it's got all the DLC and shit probably. That gameBLOOD. Or to give it the name that they're selling it as ONE WHOLE UNIT BLOOD. Which is a crap name. Obv.

It has got:

Now, if anyone buys this then I give you my solemn promise to play multiplayer with you because it has also got:

Football pitch.
Opposing castle map.

And how much for the slice of classic? Less than £4. I know, right? A-Maze. Mind you, it's donkeys years old. It's funnier than Duke Nukem too.

Your post made me want to buy Blood, but more importantly make it the #post3603471" class="postlink">official classic game for the next X weeks on another forum. However I've only just seen your promise to play multi-player. It doesn't look like the Steam or gog versions have any updating, so doing so involves fucking about with vpns/lans/Hamatchi or something?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 21:22 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Cook, Serve, Delicious is well worth $1.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 21:45 
Bad Girl

Pod wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
SHURRUPAYAFACE.

*Incoming awesome*

It has got:

Football pitch.
Opposing castle map.

Your post made me want to buy Blood, but more importantly make it the #post3603471" class="postlink">official classic game for the next X weeks on another forum. However I've only just seen your promise to play multi-player. It doesn't look like the Steam or gog versions have any updating, so doing so involves fucking about with vpns/lans/Hamatchi or something?

A rival forum! Destroy them with our glaring!

I'm sorry I can't help you with the multiplayer question not least because I don't know what vpns is, lan is my real world name and Hamatchi sounds like Tekken guys brother. I'm not hot on that PC stuff.

There seems to be some love for BLOOD on your forum though. I've barely played any game through to completion ever but I've done BLOOD twice. The level design falls off a bit later in the game with some generic castles and dungeons but I've dying to find out what I remember. Ok, dammit, I'm getting it and I'm in. If anyone figures out how to do the multiplayer then ping me a message and I'll follow instructions at a time of your choosing!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 21:49 
Bad Girl

Well that's purchased but I've just looked and on Steam it gives the extras as 'single player'. No mention of the multiplayer... :S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:22 
Gogmagog

Saturnalian wrote:
I bloody loved it, by the way. Absolutely awesome game and I can understand why it got the praise it did. I think I managed to see 7 endings all being told.

Really sorry to do this:

I'm on day 6. Not a lot seems to happen. Does it change much at all, or is there something I'm missing? I let a people traffiker in, even though a lass had given me a note naming him, but that was about the most exciting thing so far.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 23:52 
Bad Girl

To be fair, it does start off quite slow. You'll be learning how to stamp, what to look for and where you'll place your rule book on screen so you can flick about checking states and symbols and stuff. Then you get into the swing of things, you'll do everything quicker and you'll curse the little fuck ups you make because you forgot to check something. Then someone will sneak through and turn it upside down. You'll come back the following day and find a drawing your little boy has done and proudly display it on the wall. You'll smirk as you send off another scumbag trying to sneak past your attentive ways. You're awesome. You got this. You'll befriend a guard and sort out a sneaky deal whereby you get a few extra pennies on the side. Maybe you'll get good and move your family to better digs. Your boy will get his medicine. Maybe you'll be a terrible border guard. Maybe you can barely scrap together two pennies. You'll never get that medicine for your sick boy. Maybe some red tape cunt will admonish you for that pathetic crayon drawing on your wall. Maybe you take a bribe here and there to make sure the heating stays on. Perhaps you put your family at risk and make a deal to cross the border for a fat wad and live in exile. Maybe you feel sorry for the dancers and try and protect them. Maybe you don't. Perhaps something bad happens and you're, in your small part, to blame. Maybe you help a couple of people you feel sorry for here and there. Maybe your friend dies because you're sloppy. Maybe you're vigorous and expedient. Maybe you ignore the outside world and concentrate on your work. Maybe your boss tells you to do something that goes against everything you stand for: doing your job. You might tell him to shove it up his arse. Maybe you do it. Just this once. Never again.

Maybe.

It's brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:19 

Saturnalian wrote:
To be fair, it does start off quite slow. You'll be learning how to stamp, what to look for and where you'll place your rule book on screen so you can flick about checking states and symbols and stuff. Then you get into the swing of things, you'll do everything quicker and you'll curse the little fuck ups you make because you forgot to check something. Then someone will sneak through and turn it upside down. You'll come back the following day and find a drawing your little boy has done and proudly display it on the wall. You'll smirk as you send off another scumbag trying to sneak past your attentive ways. You're awesome. You got this. You'll befriend a guard and sort out a sneaky deal whereby you get a few extra pennies on the side. Maybe you'll get good and move your family to better digs. Your boy will get his medicine. Maybe you'll be a terrible border guard. Maybe you can barely scrap together two pennies. You'll never get that medicine for your sick boy. Maybe some red tape cunt will admonish you for that pathetic crayon drawing on your wall. Maybe you take a bribe here and there to make sure the heating stays on. Perhaps you put your family at risk and make a deal to cross the border for a fat wad and live in exile. Maybe you feel sorry for the dancers and try and protect them. Maybe you don't. Perhaps something bad happens and you're, in your small part, to blame. Maybe you help a couple of people you feel sorry for here and there. Maybe your friend dies because you're sloppy. Maybe you're vigorous and expedient. Maybe you ignore the outside world and concentrate on your work. Maybe your boss tells you to do something that goes against everything you stand for: doing your job. You might tell him to shove it up his arse. Maybe you do it. Just this once. Never again.

Maybe.

It's brilliant.

All of :this: . I flipping love Papers, Please.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:21 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
that was about the most exciting thing so far.

If you're expecting excitement then you're playing the wrong game. It's a darkly humourous take on mundane drudgery.

Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next