Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Wearable Tech
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

Is wearable tech going to be the next big thing? It seems to be in the news a fair amount these days...

The Apple iWatch, which might turn out to be a fitness band tracker, or a watch, or something.
Google Glass, which has been around a while now, will it ever come out and take off?
Nike Fuel, Fitbit, etc... Health trackers, that are already out there and working. I wear a Fitbit Force every day.
Android Wear API. That looks pretty cool actually, especially in conjunction with the Moto 360 watch which has just been announced. http://time.com/28923/android-wear-goog ... e-clearer/
Moto 360, a smart watch that actually looks ok and nice enough to wear. http://moto360.motorola.com/

Do you have any wearable tech? Do you plan on getting any?

Post subject: Re: Wearable Tech
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:53 
Paws for thought

No, no.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:56 
Excellent Member

I was very close to getting a Pebble purely because I was sick of missing emails/texts/calls while the phone was in my pocket but then I started using my phone as an mp3 player and that pretty much took care of that. I'm still vaguely interested but with that main use case killed stone dead I can't bring myself to drop any cash.

Mrs B would be interested in some kind of fitness band thing if you could load it with mp3s and/or if it would do tracking stuff independently of her mobile phone but I don't know if such a thing exists at a reasonable price as yet because I don't care enough to wade through the flood of these things that are appearing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:59 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Mr Dave wrote:
No, no.

You need to change your name to Mr Grumpy. :DD

I could see how a watch could help if you keep your phone in your bag.

The fitness stuff has been out a while, it is just getting smaller, and more featured. If I start doing more running and swimming etc I might get one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

I almost got a pebble, but they look awful. Tempted with a Moto360, depending on how it works and what it can do, and if it can replace the functionality that my fitbit provides.

I'm interested to see what Apple do in this space, but it's fair to say that I'm not quite as excited nor expecting a magic game changing device as a fair number of the various Apple forum folk...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:03 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I don't think I've seen any wearable tech that I would find useful and does anything different to what my phone does.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:05 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
I almost got a pebble, but they look awful.

The new Pebble Steel looks much better to be fair.

Trooper wrote:
I'm interested to see what Apple do in this space, but it's fair to say that I'm not quite as excited nor expecting a magic game changing device as a fair number of the various Apple forum folk...

They'll bring out something that other devices already do then throw some superlatives at it and pretend they invented the whole idea. People will believe them because idiocy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:10 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bamba wrote:
Trooper wrote:
I almost got a pebble, but they look awful.

The new Pebble Steel looks much better to be fair.

Yes, it does look better than the original... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:25 
Unpossible!

NFC tag rings. I saw those the other day.

http://blog.nfcring.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I don't wear a watch, because I have a phone. Years of muscle memory also means that I can have my phone out of my pocket and in my face in about as much time as it would take to look at a watch. I like the idea of wearable tech, for me I just can't see a decent use. Other than Glass - I want life to have a HUD.

Battery life will always be the killer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:34 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
Battery life will always be the killer.

This is the nub. I have a watch with a battery effectively lasts forever - why would I want to swap to something that lasts a day or so?

I've actually made retrograde steps recently. I've moved away from 'one device fits all' and started having multiple devices again. Vita for gaming, iPad for surfing, Kindle for reading, watch for telling the time. It's less convenient, but I don't have to stress about my phone's battery running out all the time anymore.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:51 

I think I must just not be busy or important enough to even remotely feel the need to get notified within the nanosecond whenever anyone sends me some sort of communication.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:12 

I wouldn't mind getting a fitness tracker of some description. My current job situation is leaving me too tired to go to the gym when I get home in the evenings (oh, I'm so chuffed I took out that year's membership now in fucking January), so I'm just trying to do things like using the stairs rather than the lift and going for a 2-3 mile walk in my lunch breaks. A fitness tracker would at least let me see if these small efforts are making any sort of impact.

That Moto 360 looks like the first smart watch I'd be interested in, as it's a nice looking watch. But battery life also puts me off these things.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:15 
UltraMod

Zio wrote:
(oh, I'm so chuffed I took out that year's membership now in fucking January)

Yeah, that's a mug's game. The potential saving over a year compared with how much you'll actually use it just isn't worth it. I pay an extra £5 a month just so that I can cancel at any point with a month's notice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:18 

I was using it plenty, but then the silly arsehole who's meant to do this job in London fucked off without any notice and I got called in. I've been here since and just don't have the energy anymore after I've spent 90 mins every evening trying to drive home.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:21 
UltraMod

Zio wrote:
I was using it plenty, but then the silly arsehole who's meant to do this job in London fucked off without any notice and I got called in. I've been here since and just don't have the energy anymore after I've spent 90 mins every evening trying to drive home.

That's what I mean. Your personal circumstances can change at any point. I don't like tying myself into any sort of contract where you'll notionally save money, but get stuffed if things change.

I was burnt enough times in the past with things like car finance!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:21 
Excellent Member

Zio wrote:

You'd probably feel better if you spent those 90 minutes actually driving rather than just trying. Maybe some lessons would help if you're struggling?

( :p )

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 17:07 
Isn't that lovely?

British Nervoso wrote:
Zio wrote:

That's what I mean. Your personal circumstances can change at any point. I don't like tying myself into any sort of contract where you'll notionally save money, but get stuffed if things change.

I was burnt enough times in the past with things like car finance!

My local gym has a clause that if you move house or job you can cancel your contract at no cost.

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:58 
Excellent Member

Not sure this counts but its the closest I've got to date

We are getting rid of the old style phones at work and everyone is moving to Lync with headsets

So I got one that goes in your ear, find it useful in the car as it supports answer\reject voice commands so I can take mobile calls on the way home.

The other week I was in Tesco and my wife called with a list of baby things she wanted so we had a conversation for around 15 minutes, the earpiece is quite discreet and I was getting looks from people as it would have appeared I was talking to myself!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 13:30 
ugvm'er at heart...

More details of the Moto 360 are starting to emerge, or more rumours at least.

http://www.techradar.com/news/portable- ... es-1244426

July release, $249, water resistant, compatible with any android device that has BT 4.0, wireless charging, always on watch face screen.

Interesting, I wonder how many of those rumours will turn out to be true, if all of them then i'm very interested.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 14:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'd be damned tempted to pick one up at that price.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 14:37 
Excellent Member

Skimming through that article it talks about how there's no standard charge port on the thing as it uses some kind of wireless charging. I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing though, what if you're at work or whatever and need to charge it? You can't just use the µUSB chargers you'll already have everywhere and would need to spring for multiple Qi charging mats. To my mind you're gaining a very small amount of convenience ('chuck watch on mat' instead of 'plug in µUSB connector') in exchange for much greater inconvenience (i.e. either be unable to charge your watch outside the house at all or the need to buy more charging equipment).

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 14:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm not sure that'll be an issue to be honest, as i'd expect a 3-4 day battery life, so if you pop it on the pad every night you shouldn't need to charge it at work.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 15:07 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
I'd be damned tempted to pick one up at that price.

Me, too. It looks really good.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 15:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I've got a galaxy gear. It's a bit shit.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 15:12 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
I'm not sure that'll be an issue to be honest, as i'd expect a 3-4 day battery life, so if you pop it on the pad every night you shouldn't need to charge it at work.

What are you basing that expectation on though?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 15:13 
ugvm'er at heart...

Cras wrote:
I've got a galaxy gear. It's a bit shit.

I'm not surprised, it's big, square and ugly, and you have to press its button to make it do anything.

But enough about your mom...

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 15:15 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bamba wrote:
Trooper wrote:

What are you basing that expectation on though?

Just a hunch :) It'll certainly last for at least a day though.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 15:25 

I've been trying to wrangle a go on one, without success (although our team is involved so fingers crossed). I think it has a lot of promise, a lot depends on exactly what feature set we achieve for the v1.0. I'd very much like one.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 16:55 
Unpossible!

Could the seiko kinetic charging tech be used in something like this? Does that even generate enough to light a screen?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 17:05 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
Could the seiko kinetic charging tech be used in something like this? Does that even generate enough to light a screen?

Without knowing a single thing about the physics involved in either systems, I'd be very sceptical the power output's anything like enough. Not least because if it was it's surely something they'd have built into mobile devices already. Something that tops up the battery of your mobile just from being carried around the place would be fucking genius if it was worthwhile, so I presume it's not. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 17:26 
ugvm'er at heart...

Yeah I think the output of the kinetic system is micro amps at best.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 16:46 

I want one of those bands that tracks distance, heart rate and so on. When I went to the doctor he said my heart rate and blood pressure were low, but that it might have been that I was unwell. I've been recommended an app that tracks your heart rate quite accurately and it send to suggest that my heart is just slower than average, but obviously I only use it in quiet moments, as I don't think if it when go out walking and so forth. I have heard such mixed reviews, though, so I'm unsure of what to believe.

The app is cool, mind

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 20:01 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
I've been recommended an app that tracks your heart rate quite accurately and it send to suggest that my heart is just slower than average, but obviously I only use it in quiet moments, as I don't think if it when go out walking and so forth.

I tend to use my heart all the time, especially when walking.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 20:53 

I mostly only use mine when making impassioned speeches about the environment. Other times I'm mostly Lego.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 13:32 

Finally wrangled a demo of one of these.

Attachment:
Me wearing Glass.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 16:40 

A beard?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 17:46 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
A beard?

A face. He's done really well in life for someone with no skin on his skull.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:40 
sneering elitist

I had a very brief play with Google Glass last week. Gave me a headache ?:|

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 13:17 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Mimi wrote:
I want one of those bands that tracks distance, heart rate and so on. When I went to the doctor he said my heart rate and blood pressure were low, but that it might have been that I was unwell. I've been recommended an app that tracks your heart rate quite accurately and it send to suggest that my heart is just slower than average, but obviously I only use it in quiet moments, as I don't think if it when go out walking and so forth. I have heard such mixed reviews, though, so I'm unsure of what to believe.

The app is cool, mind

I have the same one and yes its cool since it just shines a light on your finger and gets everything else from there.

you should *never* google anything health related but the average for heart rate should be from 60 to 100 and many top athletes have lower 'resting' rates apparently

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-livin ... q-20057979

Attachment:
photo1.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 13:18 
UltraMod

My resting heart rate is 56 - BOOM.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 13:26 

Mines 50 just now. But it was usually about 42 when I was doing more running and stuff. I even asked one of our cardiology chaps if it was anything to worry about since I'm pretty fucking far from being a top athlete. He said it was probably ok.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 13:40 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

British Nervoso wrote:

Diddy BOOM Diddy BOOM Diddy BOOM, Diddy BOOM Diddy BOOM Diddy BOOM BOOM BOOM.
BOOM Diddy BOOM Diddy BOOM Diddy BOOM.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 13:42 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
Mines 50 just now. But it was usually about 42 when I was doing more running and stuff. I even asked one of our cardiology chaps if it was anything to worry about since I'm pretty fucking far from being a top athlete. He said it was probably ok.

42? Were you in a coma?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 13:49 

I just just had a look on my Garmin software to make sure and it was actually 46-48 when I'd checked it at rest. Still very low, though. Just checked it again now and it's up at 60.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 13:56 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

markg wrote:
I just just had a look on my Garmin software to make sure and it was actually 46-48 when I'd checked it at rest. Still very low, though. Just checked it again now and it's up at 60.

Thats just the stress from worrying that 40 is too low :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 15:01 
Sleepyhead

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

Well goodness gracious me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 15:03 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Curiosity wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

Well goodness gracious me.

Thank fuck for that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

Should be more details of the Moto 360 released today at the google I/O event.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 15:24 

I've seen one of the Wear smartwatches but I was too shy to ask for a demo.

Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next