Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Metal Gear Solid 5
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 16:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Don't forget Frogger: Helmet Chaos, or Twin Eagle: Revenge Joe's Brother (bonus points for that as "Revenge Joe" is a helicopter, and it's the first game in the series).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 16:43 
SavyGamer

I don't think the original MGS holds up very well tbh, it's worth watching it on youtube, or playing it swapping the controller with someone who played it originally, but you shouldn't skip it entirely.

I thought Peace Walker was shit, just do 2/3/4/Revengeance before 5.

Baffling Konami didn't get all the games (at least 2/3 HD and 4) on the modern consoles + PC before MGS5 is out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 18:32 

Pretty sure the original MGS got a PC port. I seem to remember it was called Metal Gear Solid Integral, like the Japanese import version of what we ended up getting here as Metal Gear Solid VR Missions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 18:51 
SavyGamer

Yeah there was that. It was a shit port though, as was often the case from Japanese studios back in that era.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:13 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Review embargo for The Phantom Pain has now lifted and pretty much all 9's and 10's

IGN - 10

Destructoid - 9.0

Gamespot - 10

Game Informer - 9.25

Press Start - 9.0

EGM - 9.5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 13:33 
8-Bit Champion

Final trailer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 18:03 
Rude Belittler

I struggle to give a shit about the Big Boss games, tbh.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 13:10 
8-Bit Champion

First thing about gaming Rab has written since the GMA controversy (3 years ago)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08 ... v-preview/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 13:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Well, GMA is impossible to Google for today. What's the controversy?

Also, he appears to have gone insane.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 13:45 
8-Bit Champion

Grim... wrote:
Well, GMA is impossible to Google for today. What's the controversy?

Also, he appears to have gone insane.

He's always had a rather unusual turn of phrase - and the controversy was when journalists were being entered into a competition to win a PS3 by tweeting out 'adverts' , he merely said that they needed to avoid even the impression of being in the games publishers pockets and it all got blown up

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... omplaints/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 13:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'm not sure he's ever been that unusual - not on Cardboard Children anyway (which is where I read his stuff).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 14:03 
Excellent Member

When we're between between Metal Gear Solid games everyone's opinion seems to be that Hideo Kojima makes decent games; but they're incredibly flawed and all attempts at plot and characterisation are like laughable teenage fan-fiction. Then, suddenly, whenever one of them is actually released, everyone's opinion magically changes for a while and he's a genius auteur who's saving the industry from itself while plotting the course of gaming for the next few years. Does it seem like that to anyone else?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 14:07 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
When we're between between Metal Gear Solid games everyone's opinion seems to be that Hideo Kojima makes decent games; but they're incredibly flawed and all attempts at plot and characterisation are like laughable teenage fan-fiction. Then, suddenly, whenever one of them is actually released, everyone's opinion magically changes for a while and he's a genius auteur who's saving the industry from itself while plotting the course of gaming for the next few years. Does it seem like that to anyone else?

5) Agree strongly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 14:08 
8-Bit Champion

Grim... wrote:
I'm not sure he's ever been that unusual - not on Cardboard Children anyway (which is where I read his stuff).

You see a lot more of the variance on Twitter , where he'll switch from standard stuff to near gibberish at times - so to answer your question no he's not gone mad , he's just a little eccentric at times :-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 14:51 
Bad Girl

MaliA wrote:
Bamba wrote:

5) Agree strongly

Oh god :this:

I was reading two people on Twitter whose opinions aren't too far from my own and was stunned by the rubbish they were spouting about these games. Did we all go mad or did we forget that not only is MGS4 absolutely unplayable? Those install times, man. The garbage cut scenes? The length of the cut scenes? A single cut scene can last an hour. AN HOUR. MGS as a series is desperately meh; MGS4 is the worst shit I've ever played. You literally cannot play the game for more than 5 minutes without an interruption which lasts longer than you've been playing. The only good level on MGS4 was the third one (I think, the jungle one) but that's only because it aped MGS3.

MGS3 is the only good MGS (After he released the special edition and sorted out that fackin camera) and the sole reason is because it is about the only game where you can sneak about for long periods without interruption. Y'know, actually play the fackin game for a change.

Notwithstanding my disdain for the MGS series I appreciate the little effects and easter eggs thrown in and, if you ask me, this is perhaps the only reason why people speak highly of these games. They are quite detailed worlds when you are allowed to exist within them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 14:57 

I've never been a fan so I couldn't give a toss for the story, just tell me who to kill. Ground Zeroes seemed to do just that and then I had a riot doing it, don't remember any massive cut scenes anyway. Phantom Pain looks like it'll be the same as that but better.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 15:29 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
I've never been a fan so I couldn't give a toss for the story, just tell me who to kill. Ground Zeroes seemed to do just that and then I had a riot doing it, don't remember any massive cut scenes anyway. Phantom Pain looks like it'll be the same as that but better.

I can't help suspecting you'll be very mistaken if you're expecting no massive cut scenes. The actual gameplay of Ground Zeroes will be very similar to Phantom Pain no doubt but as the former is just a stopgap of sorts where as the latter is his most recent, and now final, full-on Metal Gear game I can't imagine it'll be free of rambling nonsensical story.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 15:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Didn't MGS 3 have horrific hour-long cutscenes also? I remember two massive cutscenes either side of a fight with an apparent rollerskating ninja, think that was 3.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 15:37 

Bamba wrote:
markg wrote:

I can't help suspecting you'll be very mistaken if you're expecting no massive cut scenes. The actual gameplay of Ground Zeroes will be very similar to Phantom Pain no doubt but as the former is just a stopgap of sorts where as the latter is his most recent, and now final, full-on Metal Gear game I can't imagine it'll be free of rambling nonsensical story.

Yeah probably, but as long as I can skip them or failing that fuck off out of the room for a bit then I'll probably cope.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 15:38 
Bad Girl

There was a roller-skating fat guy in MGS2?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 15:38 
Excellent Member

Also: now the game is out, has there been any chat about the wank-fantasy female sniper character Quiet? In response to people pointing out how terrible the character design is Kojima implied the story would reveal important and credible reasons why she dressed like a hedge-dragged hooker. I assume that's a load of shite but I'm curious if anything ever came of it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 16:13 
8-Bit Champion

Bamba wrote:
Also: now the game is out,

There are copies around (since its the bank holiday weekend some places have already shipped) but its not actually out until the 1st - I have had shipping notification for mine but it did not arrive in todays post (I expect it to be here tomorrow)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 16:36 
Excellent Member

zaphod79 wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Also: now the game is out,

There are copies around (since its the bank holiday weekend some places have already shipped) but its not actually out until the 1st - I have had shipping notification for mine but it did not arrive in todays post (I expect it to be here tomorrow)

Ah, sorry, I'm jumping the gun there. I'm not planning on picking it up any time soon myself (i.e. I will get it, but not right now) so hadn't paid proper attention to the actual release date.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 0:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I loved the first one.

Did the 4th one really have hour-long cutscenes?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:51 

The second one had hour-long cutscenes*, so I wouldn't be surprised.

* Actually, technically, I think they were under an hour, but were straight after each other so basically ended up being over an hour.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:59 
UltraMod

Someone should dig out Sinister Agent's review of MGS4. It was comedy gold.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:02 
8-Bit Champion

Future Warrior wrote:

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.c ... t/mgs4.htm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:25 
UltraMod

zaphod79 wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.c ... t/mgs4.htm

Quote:
- a character gets on your side, betrays you, then kills herself in a fit of guilt, then turns out to have been trying to stop the villains all along with a highly portable deus-ex machine that she gave to your mate earlier. She has no reason whatsoever to betray you. She intended to help you all along. Her betrayal gained nothing and had no motive beyond trying to make the plot look complex. How in the name of fuck did this get through a writer, a director, the sound bods and the voice actor? "I'm sorry I betrayed you." Okay, great. WHY did you do it? THERE IS NO REASON. YOU COULD HAVE JUST TOLD US YOUR PLAN AND STAYED WITH US AND NOTHING WOULD HAVE CHANGED IN THE SLIGHTEST. RGRAAAAAAARRRRGGH! HOW FUCKING STUPID DO YOU THINK WE ARE?

Quote:
Don't buy it. Don't rent it. Don't allow your friends, or even enemies, to buy it. Don't even fucking PIRATE it, because that'll encourage them too. Not even if it's 50p. If you get it free with something else, snap it in two and send it back to Konami (I think it's them, right? I don't want to know, because if I know, and I meet someone who works for them, I will be morally obligated to stab them in the face) in a padded envelope filled with faeces.

:DD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:40 
Awesome
Yes

I started reading the first paragraph, and thought "oh, this writing is terrible. Why do people think this is good?"

Then I realised that it was an intro paragraph by Stu. The rest of the article was great but used the word machina too much.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:46 
UltraMod

Mr Russell wrote:
used the word machina too much.

Blame the game for that perhaps. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 13:56 
8-Bit Champion

Bamba wrote:
Also: now the game is out, has there been any chat about the wank-fantasy female sniper character Quiet? In response to people pointing out how terrible the character design is Kojima implied the story would reveal important and credible reasons why she dressed like a hedge-dragged hooker. I assume that's a load of shite but I'm curious if anything ever came of it.

The 'crappy' answer

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
She is infected with a parasite that gives her super powers , however it needs sunlight and water to feed , so when she's hardly wearing anything (or stripping out of her clothes) it is so the sun or rain can get to her skin and top up her super powers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 14:51 
Bad Girl

That's thoroughly convincing. I'll let him off then.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 19:51 
Excellent Member

zaphod79 wrote:
Bamba wrote:

The 'crappy' answer

She is infected with a parasite that gives her super powers , however it needs sunlight and water to feed , so when she's hardly wearing anything (or stripping out of her clothes) it is so the sun or rain can get to her skin and top up her super powers

Jesus. I mean yeah, it's certainly a reason in itself, but it's sketchy stuff. I don't know whether to be impressed at the level of imagination that's gone into ensuring a female character is always skimpily dressed or just disgusted because, well, the level of imagination that's gone into ensuring a female character is always skimpily dressed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 19:56 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
Bamba wrote:

The 'crappy' answer

Jesus. I mean yeah, it's certainly a reason in itself, but it's sketchy stuff. I don't know whether to be impressed at the level of imagination that's gone into ensuring a female character is always skimpily dressed or just disgusted because, well, the level of imagination that's gone into ensuring a female character is always skimpily dressed.

Whichever way around they came to it is creepy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:51 
SavyGamer

This is incredible.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:53 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

From what I've seen on the internet, this is the first MGS game I'm interested in.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:06 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
From what I've seen on the internet, this is the first MGS game I'm interested in.

Play Ground Zeroes first. It'll give you a flavour for the main game. I loved it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:11 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That's the one that was given away with games for gold last month I believe? Good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:02 
SavyGamer

Yeah it meaningfully address every single one of the series' failings up until this point.

There's a lot to love about MGS1-4, but I have always hated the controls and the pacing.

Those about both fixed in MGS5, and it's making all the other stealth and/or open world games seem utterly primitive.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:12 
Bad Girl

But what about dem tatties, hmmm?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:19 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:
But what about dem tatties, hmmm?

It's ok to enjoy media while still finding elements of it problematic.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Otherwise no-one would watch porn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 13:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Awesomely, if you play MGS5 on your birthday, it throws "you" a party.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 15:16 
8-Bit Champion

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... ma-ashamed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 19:25 
SavyGamer

I really like this game but I hate that they included FarmVille for some reason (Money)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 20:50 
Rude Belittler

I played Ground Beef or whatever its called, and it was okay. I enjoyed it well enough.

However, the mentalness of the game proper has sold me. Bionic Punches (with Steve Austin Sound Effect) balooning shit out of the combat zone, pink helicopters and all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 22:49 
Bad Girl

So I saw this and thought Kojima knew exactly what he was doing when he designed these virtual tatties despite the bullshit explanation why they're on show. Why not give her smaller tatties? Tiny tatties? No, he went straight for the fatty tatties.

http://gfycat.com/DisloyalFewGopher

I should really pick this up at some point soon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 23:27 
Excellent Member

anyone have this on PC? how is it?

I have played all the Playstation games and like to use a pad. I guess I could use a 360 pad on PC (have the set up for that)
OR

do I succomb and get a nextgen (laugh, somewhat) console?

If I did it might have to be Xbox One, and that only runs at 900p which is less than appetising.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 23:45 
8-Bit Champion

LaceSensor wrote:
anyone have this on PC? how is it?

I think Lewie's playing it on PC ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:21 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
So I saw this and thought Kojima knew exactly what he was doing when he designed these virtual tatties

One of these days I'm going to meet you in real life and for every time you used the word 'tatties' I'm going to punch you in the face. I don't want to do it, indeed I love you so very much, but I'll be forced to do it on principle alone. So what I'm saying is: PLEASE GOD STOP USING THE WORD TATTIES BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO MURDER YOU BUT YOU'RE KIND OF MAKING ME WANT TO.

Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next