Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 289  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:32 

Lonewolves wrote:
Jem wrote:
:o

A strong left-leaning opposition would be rather helpful right now.

Well, there is Ga... Oh, sorry, you said "strong". :D

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:34 

Cavey wrote:
I can't even begin to express my objection to the premise that uneducated working class = Trump-supporting, racist bellend.
I agree too, surveys etc. might point to a greater tendency for poor, uneducated people to hold horrible views but in my own personal experience I've seen it coming from all walks of life. I think there's a big extent to which wealthier educated people might think better of espousing what they actually believe out of social niceties. But it feels like some of those are falling away.

My wife said to me the other day that it's as though people are losing their humanity, after seeing some shit on Facebook. This was about the NHS health tourism thing. We actually caught the program that kicked it all off, the poor lady who ended up all over the tabloids lost two children giving birth and the only response from so many was that it was disgraceful that they had to pay for it. Seriously what the fuck is wrong with people these days?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:37 

I think much of it might be due to people seeing these things on TV or in the press, then looking at their own circumstances and feeling that they are not getting 'special treatment' as they see their home towns crumble, services be consistently underfunded and withdrawn, and 'outsiders' move in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:37 

markg wrote:
My wife said to me the other day that it's as though people are losing their humanity, after seeing some shit on Facebook. This was about the NHS health tourism thing. We actually caught the program that kicked it all off, the poor lady who ended up all over the tabloids lost two children giving birth and the only response from so many was that it was disgraceful that they had to pay for it. Seriously what the fuck is wrong with people these days?

This really pissed me off. In any decent civilised the world the headlines about that would have been celebrating the fact that the NHS managed to save two of the woman's four children, and highlighting how great the NHS is.

Can't have civility in the press though, eh? No-one ever bought a paper because it had puppies and rainbows on the front cover.

>:(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:38 

GazChap wrote:
This really pissed me off. In any decent civilised the world the headlines about that would have been celebrating the fact that the NHS managed to save two of the woman's four children, and highlighting how great the NHS is.

This.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:46 

Kern wrote:
I think much of it might be due to people seeing these things on TV or in the press, then looking at their own circumstances and feeling that they are not getting 'special treatment' as they see their home towns crumble, services be consistently underfunded and withdrawn, and 'outsiders' move in.

No, the comments on Facebook were from people no worse off than us. And no offence but I'm getting a bit fed up of hearing this excuse/explanation or whatever you want to call it. They just need to have a look around the world and give themselves a fucking slap if that's what they think. My friend at work has lived on Central Drive in Blackpool for thirty odd years, two people got stabbed outside his flat at 11am the other morning, that sort of place, as deprived as anywhere. Yet he somehow remains thoroughly decent and kind as do many other people in those sorts of circumstance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:47 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:

It's certainly a feeling in Bradford.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cavey wrote:
the Columns of Grim...

Sounds rude.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:51 

Cavey wrote:
I can't even begin to express my objection to the premise that uneducated working class = Trump-supporting, racist bellend.

Just goes to show what your average Labour supporter/member knows about the working class (just ask Emily Thornberry, eh). With sentiments and prejudices such as these, no wonder they're being wiped out politically - good fucking riddance, too.

Sure. So what is your explanation for this:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:52 
UltraMod

Maybe they wanted £350m a week to go to the NHS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:53 
Unpossible!

Kern wrote:

That seems to be the root of the issue in my hometown, Middlesbrough. Rapid, devastating decline in heavy industry with nothing to replace the jobs. Huge unemployment and disaffected youth. Localised Brain drain as practically everyone in my generation who could move away, did. Combine this with the heavy influx of immigrants and asylum seekers (the largest number in any town in England I believe) and I can understand why the Leave vote got such traction there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 13:03 
Beloved member

Cavey wrote:

Just goes to show what your average Labour supporter/member knows about the working class (just ask Emily Thornberry, eh). With sentiments and prejudices such as these, no wonder they're being wiped out politically - good fucking riddance, too.

I'm not a Labour "supporter/member". I gave that up when they morphed into Red UKIP, and should have earlier when they adopted an antisemite terrorist apologist as leader. (Oh and I find the Tories' post-Cameron degeneration into Blue UKIP just as disturbing and negative. Why aren't Conservatives showing respect for the entrepreneurial energy of EU migrants, and celebrating their contributions to society?)

Basically, i have more respect for a worker from Poland or Latvia or Spain (or wherever) who have took on great personal risks to come here, and are likely have a university level education and be functionally multilingual, than some bitter native who complains about EU citizens taking "their" jobs which they aren't qualified to do anyway. I don't see the indigenous working class as some inherently and immutably virtuous group of people.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 13:06 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Sure. So what is your explanation for this:

No, fair enough, I must partially concede here (very reluctantly - not for reasons of saving my ego but because of the very uncomfortable, unavoidable implication of those cold, hard facts - I could weep)

That said, though, having a greater propensity to be a Leave voter, as according to education and class != everyone of the (so-called) "uneducated" (non graduate) working class is a Leave voter (and most certainly != a racist Trump supporter)

Dr Lave wrote:

SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Hero of Excellence wrote:
I don't see the indigenous working class as some inherently and immutably virtuous group of people.

Well no - but there's a middle ground between 'inherently and immutably virtuous' and 'Trump-supporting racist bellend', no? Like, an entire planet of middle ground?

DavPaz wrote:
That seems to be the root of the issue in my hometown, Middlesbrough. Rapid, devastating decline in heavy industry with nothing to replace the jobs. Huge unemployment and disaffected youth. Localised Brain drain as practically everyone in my generation who could move away, did. Combine this with the heavy influx of immigrants and asylum seekers (the largest number in any town in England I believe) and I can understand why the Leave vote got such traction there.

The problem is how to reach out to these people, especially when only nasty types appear to be listening to their concerns.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 13:07 

Grim... wrote:
Cavey wrote:
the Columns of Grim...

Sounds rude.

:D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 13:09 
UltraMod

they adopted an antisemite terrorist apologist as leader

Are you Anon X in disguise?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 13:10 

DavPaz wrote:

I am increasingly convinced that a programme of extensive and meaningful devolution of powers and money to city, regions, or whatever natural grouping of territory makes sense is the only way to reverse the sense of disaffection with politics and the system. If people feel that their area's needs are being met, if politicians identify themselves with tangible successes, if they feel their voices are being heard, they are more likely to support the system and not be led astray. After all, if Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland (sometimes), are considered capable of forms of self-government, why not the north east?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 13:13 
Unpossible!

Kern wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

I am increasingly convinced that a programme of extensive and meaningful devolution of powers and money to city, regions, or whatever natural grouping of territory makes sense is the only way to reverse the sense of disaffection with politics and the system. If people feel that their area's needs are being met, if politicians identify themselves with tangible successes, if they feel their voices are being heard, they are more likely to support the system and not be led astray. After all, if Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland (sometimes), are considered capable of forms of self-government, why not the north east?

I have to agree. There was for a while the TDC (Teesside Development CorporationTeesside Development Corporation) which did some good things for the region, but it's power was split up into smaller unitary authorities and pretty much squandered.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 13:29 
Bad Girl

Lonewolves wrote:

*Please be ComicalGnomes, please be ComicalGnomes*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 13:31 

It ain't Gnomes, that's for sure.
I miss Gnomes. :(

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 13:33 
Unpossible!

DavPaz wrote:
Teesside Development Corporation

How could I have forgotten this awesome tune?

Skip about 30 secs for the good bit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 13:51 

Cavey wrote:
That said, though, having a greater propensity to be a Leave voter, as according to education and class != everyone of the (so-called) "uneducated" (non graduate) working class is a Leave voter (and most certainly != a racist Trump supporter)

Agreed. So why does this very real and strong correlation exist, do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 13:57 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Agreed. So why does this very real and strong correlation exist, do you think?

Is this a rhetorical question Doc? I think you know why, as I do: in statistical terms, the less educated an entire, large population of people is, the less well informed they're likely to be, and also likely to be less able to possess all or some sufficient critical, intellectual faculties to be able to form educated, reasonable judgements in such matters. Sad, yet true (IMO), and as much as I, as a *passionate* believer in grammar schools and meritocracy et al, loathe this reality. Realities must be faced, though, however unpalatable: this lies at the very heart of all that I believe in political terms. Only then can we address and fix problems; no-one ever did any good with their head buried in the sands of wishful thinking and political correctness.

This, of course, is worlds apart from the ludicrous (IMO) sweeping statements being hitherto made, as both I, and subsequently Cras explain in our posts above, and as you, as the intelligent man you are (despite our differences), appreciate of course.

(For the record, I have neither a degree or even a single A-level to my name, so I guess I should declare an interest here as a racist Trump-adoring thicko. :D )

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:03 
Prince of Fops

Lonewolves wrote:

Anonymous X deserves props for choosing a username that you only have to add 1 letter to before logging in.

Which is neat.

Semi-relatedly, I really must work out why the forum won't remember my password.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:07 
UltraMod

Cavey wrote:
For the record, I have neither a degree or even a single A-level to my name

This explains everything!!!

Me neither, actually.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:08 

Quote:
Labour MPs will be asked to vote through the Brexit bill at its last stage in the House of Commons regardless of whether any amendments are passed, raising the possibility of further frontbench resignations.

The shadow cabinet agreed that Jeremy Corbyn should impose a three-line whip on the bill at third reading on Wednesday, even if opposition parties do not manage to make any changes to the legislation over the next two days.
Oh dear.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:11 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Quote:
Labour MPs will be asked to vote through the Brexit bill at its last stage in the House of Commons regardless of whether any amendments are passed, raising the possibility of further frontbench resignations.

The shadow cabinet agreed that Jeremy Corbyn should impose a three-line whip on the bill at third reading on Wednesday, even if opposition parties do not manage to make any changes to the legislation over the next two days.
Oh dear.

Wow! I mean, I can understand three-lining it to make sure you get your amendments through, but pushing it through unamended? I just can't even start to understand the reasoning behind that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:14 

I cannot fathom why you'd whip the unamended bill. Just baffling.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:15 

Lonewolves wrote:
Cavey wrote:
For the record, I have neither a degree or even a single A-level to my name

This explains everything!!!

Me neither, actually.

Getting expelled probably didn't help matters.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:16 
Sleepyhead

Lonewolves wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Quote:

Oh dear.

Wow! I mean, I can understand three-lining it to make sure you get your amendments through, but pushing it through unamended? I just can't even start to understand the reasoning behind that.

It's because Corbyn is an absolute fuckwit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:17 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Even if you allowed a free vote it'd still go through, but you'd prevent the mass-sacking of most of your front bench in the process...

Corbyn has entirely lost the plot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:18 
Sleepyhead

Lonewolves wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Even if you allowed a free vote it'd still go through, but you'd prevent the mass-sacking of most of your front bench in the process...

Corbyn has entirely lost the plot.

He also doesn't understand the whipping process, which is understandable since he ignored it his entire career. It appears that he won't actually take any action on those who defy the three line whip, which is the entire point of the whip.

Just so incompetent. It boggles the mind.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:20 

Curiosity wrote:
Just so incompetent. It boggles the mind.

Yes, one struggles to find the words to describe such abject, fuck-witted, misplaced ideology-fuelled rank stupidity.

How about "swivel-eyed loon", or S.E.L. for short?

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:29 

I recently saw him walking on his hind legs too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:31 

Cavey wrote:
ideology-fuelled rank stupidity.

What ideology is fuelling Corbyn's decision to enforce a whip on the A50 bill?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:34 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:

Popping this here, again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:34 

I'd actually have more respect for him if he enforced a whip on a mass-abstention. At least that way they could keep the high ground and say 'we didn't oppose A50, we just opposed this approach to A50'. But right now, it seems only a handful of Labour MPs, most of the Lib Dems, and (annoyingly) the SNP are representing my views in the House. And Ken Clarke, natch.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:40 

Cavey wrote:
Is this a rhetorical question Doc?
No. Genuine question.

Quote:
This, of course, is worlds apart from the ludicrous (IMO) sweeping statements being hitherto made, as both I, and subsequently Cras explain in our posts above, and as you, as the intelligent man you are (despite our differences), appreciate of course.
I'm not convinced I do. This:

Quote:
I think you know why, as I do: in statistical terms, the less educated an entire, large population of people is, the less well informed they're likely to be, and also likely to be less able to possess all or some sufficient critical, intellectual faculties to be able to form educated, reasonable judgements in such matters. Sad, yet true (IMO), and as much as I, as a *passionate* believer in grammar schools and meritocracy et al, loathe this reality.
...reads (IMO) as "they're too thick to vote Remain." It's dressed up in pretty words but that doesn't alter the substance. I don't see that as any less patronising, any less sweeping, or any less offensive than "they're too racist to vote Remain."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:41 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

That's like saying Hitler isn't convinced of Stalin. I'm not sure what the point is.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:43 
Gogmagog

Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

That's like saying Hitler isn't convinced of Stalin. I'm not sure what the point is.

A lot of the reservations AC had about JC have come to pass. I thought it worth a reread. Othets might, or might not do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:48 

As an aside, it's a testament to how well-disciplined the Tories can be at times that all the fuss and debate is about Labour, and not the bill.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:49 

Kern wrote:
As an aside, it's a testament to how well-disciplined the Tories can be at times that all the fuss and debate is about Labour, and not the bill.

I tried to search earlier to see if there's a Conservative whip on the bill. I couldn't find any information at all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:52 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Kern wrote:

I tried to search earlier to see if there's a Conservative whip on the bill. I couldn't find any information at all.

Officially, the whip paper is an internal party document. When I worked for a week in Westminster for an MP back in the late 1990s, the Labour whip for that week happened to end up in the hands of my A-level politics lecturer to use in class.

A major government bill would be a three-liner, except on rare matters of conscience.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:54 

Truly amazing piece about the Trump administration: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/05/u ... hlRTSMmJXs

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Trump loves to set the day’s narrative at dawn, but the deeper story of his White House is best told at night.

Aides confer in the dark because they cannot figure out how to operate the light switches in the cabinet room. Visitors conclude their meetings and then wander around, testing doorknobs until finding one that leads to an exit. In a darkened, mostly empty West Wing, Mr. Trump’s provocative chief strategist, Stephen K. Bannon, finishes another 16-hour day planning new lines of attack.

Usually around 6:30 p.m., or sometimes later, Mr. Trump retires upstairs to the residence to recharge, vent and intermittently use Twitter. With his wife, Melania, and young son, Barron, staying in New York, he is almost always by himself, sometimes in the protective presence of his imposing longtime aide and former security chief, Keith Schiller. When Mr. Trump is not watching television in his bathrobe or on his phone reaching out to old campaign hands and advisers, he will sometimes set off to explore the unfamiliar surroundings of his new home.

Quote:
This account of the early days of the Trump White House is based on interviews with dozens of government officials, congressional aides, former staff members and other observers of the new administration, many of whom requested anonymity. At the center of the story, according to these sources, is a president determined to go big but increasingly frustrated by the efforts of his small team to contain the backlash.

Quote:
Cloistered in the White House, he now has little access to his fans and supporters — an important source of feedback and validation — and feels increasingly pinched by the pressures of the job and the constant presence of protests, one of the reasons he was forced to scrap a planned trip to Milwaukee last week. For a sense of what is happening outside, he watches cable, both at night and during the day — too much in the eyes of some aides — often offering a bitter play-by-play of critics like CNN’s Don Lemon.

Until the past few days, Mr. Trump was telling his friends and advisers that he believed the opening stages of his presidency were going well. “Did you hear that, this guy thinks it’s been terrible!” Mr. Trump said mockingly to other aides when one dissenting view was voiced last week during a West Wing meeting.

But his opinion has begun to change with a relentless parade of bad headlines.

Quote:
Mr. Priebus bristles at the perception that he occupies a diminished perch in the West Wing pecking order compared with previous chiefs. But for the moment, Mr. Bannon remains the president’s dominant adviser, despite Mr. Trump’s anger that he was not fully briefed on details of the executive order he signed giving his chief strategist a seat on the National Security Council, a greater source of frustration to the president than the fallout from the travel ban.

Quote:
Visitors to the Oval Office say Mr. Trump is obsessed with the décor — it is both a totem of a victory that validates him as a serious person and an image-burnishing backdrop — so he has told his staff to schedule as many televised events in the room as possible.

To pass the time between meetings, Mr. Trump gives quick tours to visitors, highlighting little tweaks he has made after initially expecting he would have to pay for them himself.

Flanking his desk are portraits of Presidents Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson. He will linger on the opulence of the newly hung golden drapes, which he told a recent visitor were once used by Franklin D. Roosevelt but in fact were patterned for Bill Clinton. For a man who sometimes has trouble concentrating on policy memos, Mr. Trump was delighted to page through a book that offered him 17 window covering options.

Ultimately, this is very much the White House that Mr. Trump wanted to build. But while the world reckons with the effect he is having on the presidency, he is adjusting to the effect of the presidency on him. He is now a public employee. And the only boss Mr. Trump ever had in his life was his father, a hard-driving developer the president still treats with deep reverence.

With most of his belongings in New York, the only family picture on the shelf behind Mr. Trump’s desk is a small black-and-white photograph of that boss, Frederick Christ Trump.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 14:58 

In other news happening right now (I long for the days that political news wasn't being fired at our faces in an endless gooey torrent), the government's housing white paper (entitled, punchily, "Fixing Our Broken Housing Market") has been published and is being debated in Parliament right now. The PDF is 110-ish pages so I haven't read it, and there's no good summaries going around (yet.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 15:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

"Build more houses, make getting planning permission quicker and easier, and help out with a deposit for first-time buyers" is what the news said this morning.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 15:03 

Quote:
I long for the days that political news wasn't being fired at our faces in an endless gooey torrent

Turn off Twitter, and just read the papers in your club each evening.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 15:04 

Kern wrote:
Quote:
I long for the days that political news wasn't being fired at our faces in an endless gooey torrent

Turn off Twitter, and just read the papers in your club each evening.

I got FOMO by the acre, though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 15:05 

Grim... wrote:
"Build more houses, make getting planning permission quicker and easier, and help out with a deposit for first-time buyers" is what the news said this morning.

We're not building on the green belt, just relocating it.

Reply to topic  [ 14415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 289  Next