Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: iOS gaming thread
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:02 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

For some reason iMAME has been approved for the app store - when apple realises what they have done it will get pulled so grab it now !

http://itunes.apple.com/app/imame/id485639079?mt=8

http://toucharcade.com/2011/12/21/get-i ... app-store/

Quote:
Get It Before It's Gone: 'iMAME' Hits the App Store
posted December 21st, 2011 4:12 PM EST by Eli Hodapp in Applications, Emulator, Free, Retro, Universal

Emulators have had an interesting history on the App Store, to say the least. There are a few emulator apps that have received Apple's blessing, namely Manomio's Commodore 64 [$4.99] and a choice group of similar emulators. More often than not though, they randomly appear, having slipped through the Apple approval system, then are quickly pulled. Right now we've got no clue which side of the fence iMAME [Free] is sitting on, but it's free, so there's absolutely no reason not to download it just to have it.

iMame comes preloaded with nine less than stellar ROMs to play, but the real interesting part is going to be whether or not it's possible to side load other ROM files into the app. I've been tinkering around with various tricks to load other ROMs into the app that have worked in other instances of similar emulators on to the App Store, and so far haven't had anything work. Regardless, I give it about two hours (or potentially much less) before someone figures it out, and a few hours after that for Apple to pull it from the App Store.

Go go go!!! I'll keep this post updated as new things develop.

Update: It seems that the same method used to get games into iDOS also works in iMAME. Twitter user @mattlukens mentions, "Yep, add a .zip rom to the Docs folder through PhoneView and it works perfect! Just tried Crime Fighters!" He also provided a screenshot. The clock is really ticking now on Apple pulling this down.

Update: iMAME supports the iCade.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:16 
Participant in dramatic games

this spanish blog suggest you can use iexplore/iphoneviewer to put stuff on mame without jailbreak

http://mmoro.ca/post/14610039609/imame-para-ios

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:05 
Where are you?

I've checked this out with a couple of games and they work fine. I'm curious to see what happens here. Just because you can sideload content, that shouldn't be enough to breach App Store rules, given that you can do this for every app, including a bunch of emulators that have been on sale for years. An issue there might be that the process isn't remotely obfuscated for this app (unlike others), but it would still seem harsh to remove it.

I suspect any takedown will be due to bundled ROMs, and so I hope whoever uploaded iMAME made damn sure the included games are freely distributable. People are also making comparisons with iDOS, but that had other issues. The first release came with items the dev didn't have rights to, including a port of Ms. Pac-Man. The last release, I believe, still made it easy to reset to DOS, which pissed off Apple.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:14 
8-Bit Champion

CraigGrannell wrote:
I suspect any takedown will be due to bundled ROMs, and so I hope whoever uploaded iMAME made damn sure the included games are freely distributable.

Its got the ones which are generally counted as 'freely distributable' - the in game list shows

Circus
Crash
Fire One
Hard Hat
Robby Roto
Robot Bowl
Side Track
Spectar
Star Fire
Targ

Wikipedia's section on MAME http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAME

Quote:
Legal status

Owning and distributing MAME itself is legal in most countries, as it is merely an emulator. Companies such as Sony have attempted in court to prevent emulators from being sold, but they have been ultimately unsuccessful.[14] MAME itself has thus far not been the subject of any court cases.

However, most arcade games are still covered by copyright. While it is arguably legal to transfer the data contained in ROM chips from a board you own to a personal computer, both downloading from and distributing ROMs on the Internet without permission from copyright holders is a violation of copyright laws.

Some copyright holders have been indecisive regarding making licensed arcade game ROMs available to the public. For example, in 2003 Atari made MAME-compatible ROMs for 27 of its arcade games available through the internet site Star ROMs. However, by 2006 that decision had been reversed, and the ROMs are no longer being sold there. At one point, various Capcom games were sold with the HotRod arcade joystick manufactured by Hanaho, but this arrangement was discontinued as well.

Other copyright holders have released games which are no longer commercially viable free of charge to the public. Alien Arena, Gridlee, Looping, Robby Roto, Super Tank and a number of early games by Exidy (Car Polo, Circus, Crash, Fax, Fire One, Hard Hat, Rip Cord, Robot Bowl, Side Trak, Spectar, Star Fire, Targ, Teeter Torture, Top Gunner and Victory) have been released by their copyright holders under non-commercial licenses. These games may be downloaded legally from the official MAME web site.[15] The Spanish arcade game developer Gaelco has also released World Rally for non-commercial use on their website.[16]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 13:08 

isn't that east german game free too?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 13:09 

CraigGrannell wrote:
I've checked this out with a couple of games and they work fine. I'm curious to see what happens here. Just because you can sideload content, that shouldn't be enough to breach App Store rules, given that you can do this for every app, including a bunch of emulators that have been on sale for years. An issue there might be that the process isn't remotely obfuscated for this app (unlike others), but it would still seem harsh to remove it.

what's the newest game you thought had a good speed? will tiger heli run? defender?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 13:13 

It'll be removed because it's a program that runs other programs. Same reason Apple would never allow a Flash runtime, or a web browser with its own JavaScript engine.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 13:36 
Comfortably Dumb

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It'll be removed because it's a program that runs other programs. Same reason Apple would never allow a Flash runtime, or a web browser with its own JavaScript engine.

Wouldn't that apply to the C64 emulator too though?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 14:35 

Angelman wrote:
No. The C64 (and the Speccy) emu doesn't allow the user to add arbitrary games.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 14:37 
Hibernating Druid

All the good stuff these days won't run on my 2nd gen iPod Touché.

Twat in a sack.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 14:39 

Zardoz wrote:
All the good stuff these days won't run on my 2nd gen iPod Touché.

Twat in a sack.

3.25 year old gadget in obsolete shocker!!!!!!eleventy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 14:39 
Hibernating Druid

I'll give you an obsolete shocker.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 14:45 
8-Bit Champion

romanista wrote:
what's the newest game you thought had a good speed? will tiger heli run? defender?

My ipad (1) is Jailbroken and has Mame4all on there and runs Tiger Heli fine (not tried defender but that shouldnt be a problem) - it does things up to the late 80's / early 90's without any real problem (although obviously some early vector games or ones with multiple CPU's can still be problematic) , its also based off an early MAME build (.38?) when the program was built more for speed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 16:36 
Where are you?

romanista wrote:

People are running all kinds of stuff on it, up to and including Neo-Geo.

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Angelman wrote:
No. The C64 (and the Speccy) emu doesn't allow the user to add arbitrary games.

Neither does iMAME through official means. You have to side-load into the app bundle itself, which actually is possible in some other emulators, in more or less the same way. (For example, I successfully got 3D Deathchase up and running on my iPhone.)

What's most likely to take iMAME off the store is if Apple decides such side-loading shouldn't be allowed combined with the sheer number of people banging on about it online. EDIT: By which I don't mean discussion like here, but the ton of blogs going "and here's how to get THE ILLEGAL ROMZ into the app".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 18:01 
It's all pish

Zardoz wrote:
Twat in a sack.

What Santa brings you if you've been a very good boy.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 22:10 

imame doesn't seem to be that gratin recognizing stuff i added, like i added map and normal dodonpachi.zip, an fit only finds one, and flips the screen weirdly..so i had to reconfigure controls, and put it in tate mode to make it sort of playable..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:47 
8-Bit Champion

romanista wrote:
imame doesn't seem to be that gratin recognizing stuff i added, like i added map and normal dodonpachi.zip, an fit only finds one, and flips the screen weirdly..so i had to reconfigure controls, and put it in tate mode to make it sort of playable..

Remember its based on MAME 0.38 which is from 2001 - heres a link with the roms it supported originally however there are others in there.

http://code.google.com/p/imame4all/wiki/GameList

For the screen mode in Dodonpachi people have already worked out a way to fix that - have a look here : http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2060794
(basically setting up the game the way you want it on your PC and copying the machines ram file to your IOS device)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:20 

thanks forthis,

ny ideawhy they used this version as a basis?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:25 
8-Bit Champion

romanista wrote:
ny ideawhy they used this version as a basis?

Basically the next full version included a major re-write of a lot of the underlying code , which although more 'accurate' sacrificed a lot of that for the speed in the earlier systems.

All of the 'portable' versions of Mame use this as their starting point , after that point you need a vastly more powerful machine to get full speed emulation on basic games (*)

(*) The very first arcade emulator i ever used was originally called just ARCADE.EXE however became "Sparcade" and that ran Galaxians / Frogger / Phoenix at full speed on a 486/25sx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:27 
Excellent Member

I have this running, it's rather fab. Playing the Punisher arcade game and it seems very smooth on my Ipad1.
Any suggestions for similar games, no ROM links obviously....Sadly it appears AVP doesn't work.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:38 

i see it might support wiiremotes that's good too;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:40 
8-Bit Champion

markh wrote:
I have this running, it's rather fab. Playing the Punisher arcade game and it seems very smooth on my Ipad1.
Any suggestions for similar games, no ROM links obviously....Sadly it appears AVP doesn't work.

Virtually any of the early Capcom CPS1 or CPS2 games should be fine and 'similar'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System

romanista wrote:
i see it might support wiiremotes that's good too;)

The jailbroken one does (and it works well) , it does also support the iControlpad http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IControlPad and the iCade http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICade

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:43 

yup, but suports icade for nione jaulbroken ones too..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:52 

this is weird too:
Quote:

Yes it is based on my iMame4All Xcode project for non-jailbroken iOS devices. You can tell by the version number, the 'b' was added by me to distinguish from the jailbroken app. Apparently someone downloaded my project and built and submitted to Apple but I have no idea how they got it by the approval process.

http://toucharcade.com/2011/12/21/get-i ... -391995290

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:59 
8-Bit Champion

romanista wrote:
this is weird too:
Quote:

Yes it is based on my iMame4All Xcode project for non-jailbroken iOS devices. You can tell by the version number, the 'b' was added by me to distinguish from the jailbroken app. Apparently someone downloaded my project and built and submitted to Apple but I have no idea how they got it by the approval process.

http://toucharcade.com/2011/12/21/get-i ... -391995290

Nice link - following that through to the original authors page he has a note on the control modes

Quote:
iMAME on the App Store

If you downloaded iMAME from the App Store here are the main differences:

First, you can't copy your ROMs to iMAME using iTunes File Sharing. That feature had to be disabled in order to comply with App Store guidelines. Instead you should use iExplorer and copy the ROMs to the Documents folder for the iMAME application.

Second, the readme help file talks about using WiiMotes with iMAME. This is not possible. WiiMotes require low level access to the Bluetooth chipset which can only be done on a jailbroken device. However, as an alternative you can use the iControlPad which is a good handheld controller.

See the notes here about using the iControlPad controller.

Make sure you are using the correct ROM set. You need ROMs for iMame4All for GP32X which are based on the 0.37b5 version of MAME. Somewhere out there in internet land is a complete set of iMame4All ROMs so just do some research to find it.

iMAME on the App Store is based on the iMame4All for Xcode project with a few changes by Jim VanDeventer to make it App Store compliant.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 14:04 
Awesome
Yes

Gamecenter stuff!

I am now on it as RussAwesome if you want to add me :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 15:47 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Russell Sprouts wrote:
Gamecenter stuff!

I am now on it as RussAwesome if you want to add me :)

I R 'KRAZYWOOKIE' and I now have 1 friend - YAAAYYYY. (add me to increase joy level)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 20:19 

iMAME gone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 20:40 
Where are you?

Quote:
The other catch is that full-scale emulators aren't particularly welcome on the iOS App Store; the ones that have made it through the review process are careful to lock down the ability to run arbitrary third-party programs.

Except the ones that haven't, which is several of them.

Quote:
It seemed too good to last, and sure enough it was. Running arbitrary emulated code is an App Store no-no

Expect in all the other emulators that enable you to run arbitrarily emulated code, through technically unsupported means (i.e. not through iTunes).

Probably worth noting that there are a number of reasons an app is removed from the App Store, and the main one is not because of issues relating to side-loading.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 23:04 
Sleepyhead

iPhone Tiny did a top ten of games.

I bought 'World of Goo', which was the winner [OMGSPOILERZ!].

Seems fun.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 13:09 

only now see that there's a gp2x in the background when starting iPad mame..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 15:03 
Where are you?

I had it on good authority from multiple sources that MAMEDEV had fired a takedown request at Apple, and this was seemingly backed up further from various posts online, including the somewhat-reported one on Engadget. But the dev is now saying the takedown was down to Apple and is classed as 'temporary' and that he'll work with Apple after the holidays to get the emulator back up. It'll be interesting to see in what forms (presumably neutered like iDOS, now called Aemula Oldies and still hackable, albeit in an extremely complex manner that will be beyond most users).

I've also asked directly what the issue was, but I won't hold my breath for a reply. Speculation remains that the side-loading is indeed the issue, with Apple getting cold feet due to the rampant reporting by publications up to the size of Ars about GET TEH ROMZ! A pity, if true, and I'm hoping the spotlight doesn't then fall on other emulators that enable such things, given that I'm happily running certain games on my iThings that will never be released for them. Certainly, if iMAME (in whatever form) does return to the App Store, but without any side-loading, it's going to be rather pointless unless publishers allow IAP, because the free ROMs are, by and large, crap.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 15:19 

CraigGrannell wrote:
I've also asked directly what the issue was, but I won't hold my breath for a reply.

Hah! I admire your optimism. Some of the TUAWers have TextMate shortcuts for the phrase "We contacted Apple but it has not replied at the time of publication."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 21:45 
Where are you?

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:
I've also asked directly what the issue was, but I won't hold my breath for a reply.

Hah! I admire your optimism. Some of the TUAWers have TextMate shortcuts for the phrase "We contacted Apple but it has not replied at the time of publication."

Oh no—I'm not quite that daft. I think in over a decade of writing about Apple, I've probably only got quotes beyond "no comment" a handful of times. I meant I've contacted the dev, to see if he'll elaborate. But even there I'm not terribly hopeful.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 15:25 

mm, wondering if a neutered return would make our versions turn into crap as well...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 15:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

romanista wrote:
mm, wondering if a neutered return would make our versions turn into crap as well...

Not unless you install an update.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 16:03 

obv, but iOS forces the updates a bit on you, doesn't it.. (i know you can recopy the old .ipa from your trashcan but still)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 16:07 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

romanista wrote:
obv, but iOS forces the updates a bit on you, doesn't it.. (i know you can recopy the old .ipa from your trashcan but still)

Pretty sure it doesn't. Doc or Craig might know better, mind.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 16:15 
Where are you?

iOS never forces you to upgrade an app. Also, even if you 'upgrade all', you can fish out the IPA from the trash and keep it elsewhere on your HDD or use it to manually 'downgrade' the version sitting in iTunes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 16:18 
8-Bit Champion

Untethered jailbreak now available for 'older' devices (ipad1 / iphone 4)

http://lifehacker.com/5871248/untethere ... a5-devices

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 16:51 

CraigGrannell wrote:
iOS never forces you to upgrade an app. Also, even if you 'upgrade all', you can fish out the IPA from the trash and keep it elsewhere on your HDD or use it to manually 'downgrade' the version sitting in iTunes.

well that's what i meant too, there isn't a skip update button..
(our dutch pay for view channel sport 1 had recently a bug, which meant i could run the iPhone version on the iPad, and seeing freesports for about a month, now they upgraded the app, i did fish out the old one, but it int free anymore.;(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 21:31 

CraigGrannell wrote:
iOS never forces you to upgrade an app.
Well, not as such. But updating two dozen apps a week whilst avoiding the "Update All" button to keep one critical
app at an old version is quite tedious, and easy to get wrong.

And you can't rescue the IPA from your iTunes if you only do iCloud backups, either.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 23:26 
Where are you?

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:
iOS never forces you to upgrade an app.
Well, not as such. But updating two dozen apps a week whilst avoiding the "Update All" button to keep one critical
app at an old version is quite tedious, and easy to get wrong.

True, but at least, as I said, Apple doesn't force upgrades. Anyway, my usual technique with this kind of thing is to upgrade the lot and then fish the old IPA out of the trash. Still, I've given up on 'upgrade all' here. Far too scary/bandwidth-sapping with the number of updates lurking (over 300 now). Time to cull…

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:17 
Can you dig it?

I've really enjoyed Speedball 2 Evolution (I only downloaded it the other day), although it's a bit easy, and once the players are trained up it's a case of how big a winning margin you can reach rather than a competitive match.

I got it for free but it's easily worth a few quid.

I didn't play it on the Amiga but did spend a bit of time with a Gameboy version.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:40 
Honey Boo Boo

Finally got through the basic 20 levels of Magnetic Billiards today (what can I say? stuck with each until I had A or S on all of them) so have bought the super-duper Skeleton Key full version. And GTA3.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:02 
EvilTrousers

I'm currently stuck on one button stupid freebie grind fest Traffic Panic.

In which you control a set of traffic lights and let cars through. That's it really.

You get cash for points and the crash value when it all goes wrong which you can then spend on further vehicles and surrounding buildings at the junction. It hands out a pitiful amount of cash but the game length is so tiny that I just keep going back to it.

I have to go back to BugPrincess every so often as some form of pallette cleanser.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:16 
UltraMod

Snowicide Pinetrees wrote:
Finally got through the basic 20 levels of Magnetic Billiards today (what can I say? stuck with each until I had A or S on all of them) so have bought the super-duper Skeleton Key full version.

I've got S on them all and I don't normally play games like that to OCD lengths any longer. Brilliant game

Quote:
And GTA3.

On the iPhone? Let me know how you get on. I've got it on the iPad and the controls are ok for me - YerpGonks tore it a new one on the iPhone though. I can imagine it being a bit fiddly with a small screen.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 18:22 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

sorry if already posted, 65 apps for ipad/iphone which are good and free:

http://apptudes.com/2011/12/28/the-65-b ... -holidays/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 19:25 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Trousers wrote:
I'm currently stuck on one button stupid freebie grind fest Traffic Panic.

In which you control a set of traffic lights and let cars through. That's it really.

You get cash for points and the crash value when it all goes wrong which you can then spend on further vehicles and surrounding buildings at the junction. It hands out a pitiful amount of cash but the game length is so tiny that I just keep going back to it.

I have to go back to BugPrincess every so often as some form of pallette cleanser.

You utter bastard.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 21:39 

The normal one of the 3d one?

Reply to topic  [ 1371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 28  Next