And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tomb Raider
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:27 

Craster wrote:
WTB wrote:
That hasn't ever stopped us before.

You're stretching a bit saying "They're ripping off Uncharted" at this point, I'd have said.

Have you seen the gameplay footage?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

WTB wrote:
You mean the game that isn't even out yet? Are we not allowed to speculate about anything any more?

But your speculation involves telling us things like they're facts!

WTB wrote:
Have you seen the gameplay footage?

Yeah, looks like Tomb Raider :shrug:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:29 

Oh Jesus. I'll just wait for it to come out, then.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

WTB wrote:

And then buy it, no doubt ;)

If the baddies in the new Tomb Raider were zombie cave skeletons instead of people, would that make it not an Uncharted rip-off?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:32 
Master of dodgy spelling....

So you are complaining the new TR is ripping off Unchartered that is ripping off TR?

And you wonder why I am confused... :DD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

KovacsC wrote:
So you are complaining the new TR is ripping off Unchartered that is ripping off TR?

"Unchartered: Non-professional Work Sim" coming to 360 and PS3 this holiday season.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:35 

Grim... wrote:
WTB wrote:

And then buy it, no doubt ;)

If the baddies in the new Tomb Raider were zombie cave skeletons instead of people, would that make it not an Uncharted rip-off?

No, because it would still be filled with action set-pieces, quick time events and sequences where you're not even properly controlling the character. A staple of the Uncharted series, and something that was essentially 3/4 of a number of the E3 demonstrations of Tomb Raider.

(Again, I'm not necessarily saying these things are bad - they work excellently in Uncharted. I just didn't want this Tomb Raider game to be another Uncharted game.)

But hey, we don't know until it comes out!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:36 

Grim... wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

"Unchartered: Non-professional Work Sim" coming to 360 and PS3 this holiday season.

The follow up Unchartered Surveyor 2.. The quest for foundations.

I should really check my spelling. :DD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:38 
Ready for action

For what its worth, I like Tomb Raider. I also like Unchartered and would buy a PS3 again to play the two sequels. Therefore, I am greatly looking forward to new Tombraider.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:38 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Grim... wrote:

I'd buy that !

WTB wrote:
They've released more than enough material to get an idea about what the game is going to be like. See: The start of this thread!.

Had you already watched it all before I posted because there is almost an hours worth of material there but you posted your first response 9 minutes later ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:40 

I saw the Comic Con panel the day before last when it was posted on NeoGAF. (Although it wasn't from that YouTube channel because it wasn't split up into parts.)

I'm not sure if you recall, but I posted about Rhianna being the writer the other day about an hour after it was announced. I've been following Tomb Raider pretty closely. Not that it apparently matters.

Besides, are you trying to say there's something in the panel that disproves what I'm talking about? Because there ain't.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:40 
Gogmagog

60 FPS, innit?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:44 
8-Bit Champion

WTB wrote:
I saw the Comic Con panel the day before last when it was posted on NeoGAF.

What I posted was the one at Nerdmachine (the thing run by Zack Levi from Chuck) and it was only posted yesterday.

WTB wrote:
Besides, are you trying to say there's something in the panel that disproves what I'm talking about? Because there ain't.

There isnt - however if you've not actually watched it how do you *know* that ?

** edit **

WTB wrote:
I'm not sure if you recall, but I posted about Rhianna being the writer the other day about an hour after it was announced. I've been following Tomb Raider pretty closely. Not that it apparently matters.

This was not in your post when i hit reply (but is now) , and yes I remember your comments and I do believe that you've been following this for a while however it seems something today has set things off that suddenly its a big problem ?

I posted a thing that i thought people here would be interested on seeing and talking about , and you seem to have a lot to talk about on it but have already pre-judged it that its 'rubbish' ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:45 

You've caught me out there! I was lying!

No, wait, I probably watched it yesterday.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:46 

No. It was definitely the day before last, and I watched it here:

http://www.thenerdmachine.com/nerd-hq-o ... mb-raider/

If I hadn't watched it, I'd just say I hadn't fucking watched it. I'm not a child. And fuck you for the accusation, frankly.

As I say, I've been watching Tomb Raider with interest. And it gets worse every time new material comes out. That's my opinion, of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:47 

Grim... wrote:
I'd like a game that makes the use of guns more like they were portrayed in the TV show "Without A Trace" - when a character pulled the trigger it fucking mattered.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editoria ... w-war-make

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:49 
8-Bit Champion

WTB wrote:
No. It was definitely the day before last, and I watched it here:

http://www.thenerdmachine.com/nerd-hq-o ... mb-raider/

If I hadn't watched it, I'd just say I hadn't fucking watched it. I'm not a child. And fuck you for the accusation, frankly.

As I say, I've been watching Tomb Raider with interest. And it gets worse every time new material comes out. That's my opinion, of course.

And the last time i hit refresh the swearing and name calling wasnt there either - i guess i'll leave this thread now - thanks for making your comments clear.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

WTB wrote:

Dude, chill!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 15:51 

If you smarmily accuse someone of lying, expect a reaction.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 16:28 
Honey Boo Boo

Grim... wrote:
I'd like a game that makes the use of guns more like they were portrayed in the TV show "Without A Trace" - when a character pulled the trigger it fucking mattered.

LA Noire seemed to start that way. Then you started doing the extra 'street crime' missions which invariably ended with you blasting every single one of the perpetrators to death. No option to make them surrender and arrest them.

Police Quest, conversely, had the guns working realistically. For fun PQ2 let you pull out your gun and fire it whenever and wherever you wanted (usually resulting in a game over) but you only needed to draw and fire it in anger three times over the course of the game, and a few other times as part of talking down a suspect.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 19:24 
Bad Girl

Y'know, what game reminds me most of the feelings I had playing PS1 Tomb Raider, and I'm not saying this because of the legend that is this game: Dark Souls.

The isolation, the only sound being footsteps and the sense of accomplishment through exploration. I agree with most of what WTB said about his feelings on the reboot videos (till he got all tetchy) since it seems the reboot appears to be pandering to the action crowd. The thing with the original and best Tomb Raider was that the shooting bats and wolfs need not have been there at all. It'd still have be great without any of that. I certainly don't remember it for the tedious shooting bits; as few and far between as they were.

Had the publishers the strength of character to remember that we'd have a fantastic game about discovery. Sure we'd have lots of shitty deaths falling off stuff to moan about but instead we're getting a game that won't be great because the publishers need that mainstream appeal. They need shooting. Because shooting shifts units. It might be our fault for hoovering up all the crappy shooting games and not supporting the niche games out there.

We might as well resign ourselves to the simple fact that for many older gamers Tomb Raider died on the PS1 and stop kidding ourselves that we'll ever have the game that we want them to make. The new Tomb Raider with its QTE's, cover shooter mechanics and cut scenes trying to establish Lara as a real person, might turn out to be a decent game after all but we need to look elsewhere if we're ever to find those feelings that were so strong when we explored caves on the PS1 again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 21:06 
Paws for thought

By and large, I'd agree. If it's mainly an action game, then not interested. If it's mainly a QTE game then really not interested.

(I'd argue the original did need the bats, wolves, bears etc just to keep the tension up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:04 
8-Bit Champion

The demo shown at Comic-con last week

Short fluff piece from IGN at 11:30 here with Camilla Luddington

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:17 
Honey Boo Boo

There was that sense of wonder in the first few levels, the great snowy caverns and the lost city. The odd wolf and bat were almost secondary, not least of all because you just needed to leap around holding down 'fire' for a few moments while she auto-aimed them to death.

The second game, with you exploring real world locations, started to creak as the engine just couldn't paper over the cracks with fake Venice textures as it had with caverns and rocks. Bad Men began appearing and again you just needed to leap around holding down fire until their appalling death animation (a hilariously acclerated crumpling to the knees and then falling flat on their face). Distracted slightly by the motorboat and snowmobile levels and the unique sensation of the upside-down ship, it was fine.

Tomb Raider 3, and the tech looks really creaky. Lara is now a media sensation, her exceedingly ropey 3D model benig shoehorned into embarassed 'glamour' photoshoots of her posing carefully concealing her ludicrous tits on the beach and in arty lofts. The game itself more or less dispenses with tombs in favour of further journo-baiting levels in London, where Lara gets one of many costume changes and now isn't raiding tombs so much as scrambling around abandoned tube stations and leaping through laser beams in an office block. It's still outrageously clunky but it's also still getting 9/10

Tomb Raider: LR and in their cynical desperation they resort to outright deviant appeal with the bosseyed jailbait Lara as she and her hlittle airless weewee have escpades in ancient ruins in a forgettable opening level. The rest of the game was utterly forgettable unless you really cared about the 'secret' that she was going to die at the end.

Except she really didn't, and they flogged the horse for a fifth game where it turns out she didn't. Even the press were losing interest but had to restrain themselves lest they lose sales by not having her on the cover. Leading nicely into a 'gritty' reboot with Angel of Darkness as Lara decides to wear dark eyeliner to reflect her inner torment at nearly dying. Ho hum.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:57 

And Guardian of Light. Which was great.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:02 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Not a Tomb Raider game, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:06 
Bad Girl

Erm, Camilla Luddington is fit. That's all I wanted to pop in and say. She could raid my to...(*snip* -Ed)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:11 
Hibernating Druid

I quite enjoyed the one with the octopus.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:17 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

The Last Salmon Man wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Not a Tomb Raider game, though.

I was confused by this but then a quick Bing (Yeah, I went there) came up with the fact that it was a Lara Croft game. Apparently intended to statt a new series.

Well I never.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:18 
Honey Boo Boo

TheVision wrote:
I was confused by this but then a quick Bing (Yeah, I went there) came up with the fact that it was a Lara Croft game. Apparently intended to statt a new series.

BOOK IT!

It would be nice if it did start a new series, it's a fun little game.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:19 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I think it was going to start a new series too....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:08 
Excellent Member

metalangel wrote:
It would be nice if it did start a new series, it's a fun little game.

Aye, I thoroughly enjoyed it and even roped Mrs B in for co-op thrills; which, along with Portal 2, marks only the second time she's ever deigned to actually play games with me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 14:54 
Honey Boo Boo

Tomb Raider: The Boob Chronicles (SFW)

Rule 34 presents what really happened in the Lost Valley (NSFW!!!)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:45 
Bad Girl

Probably old news but I'm not really keeping up with anything outside what I read in magazines, but New Tomb Raider will include in the campaign:

1) Survival Instinct Vision! Yes! Lara can look for stuff with a funky awesome red hued vision! OMG! Want!
2) Lara can improve her "stats" and perks! Want to pick up used arrows? DO I! Get the archery perk for 500 TB stat points!

This is sounding more and more awesome!

*creams pants*

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:48 

Can't wait!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:37 

Ian Fairies wrote:
Probably old news but I'm not really keeping up with anything outside what I read in magazines, but New Tomb Raider will include in the campaign:

1) Survival Instinct Vision! Yes! Lara can look for stuff with a funky awesome red hued vision! OMG! Want!
2) Lara can improve her "stats" and perks! Want to pick up used arrows? DO I! Get the archery perk for 500 TB stat points!

This is sounding more and more awesome!

*creams pants*

Ticking the boxes production

Add Batman vision mode - Check
Add RPG touches - Check

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:52 
Honey Boo Boo

Will she find a PDA to give her a map marker and some hacking minigames? How about a vehicle section or maybe a turret defense sequence? Or a 'press X Y X X' QTE to avoid being raped as per the INFAMOUS ATTEMTPED RAPE SCENE. Maybe they could shoehorn in a karma system? Oh, and crafting! If she finds some especially bendy wood she could make a better bow with which to shoot the crazies who live on the island! And she can mix different kinds of plants and toad venom to make different drugs with which to coat her arrows and then shoot bads, causing them to attack their fellow bads!

You know what else it needs? ZOMBIES. Every game needs zombies. There needs to be a destroyed lab or ancient temple or something that contains zombies. Fast zombies.

Oooh ooh! Bullet time! That's cool again, right? And some parkour! She can run across improbably well placed obstacles! And then she can have a canned takedown animation on a bad man!

Pre-order today for the following hilarious costumes:
-Lara in a formal dress
-Lara in soldier fatigues
-Lara in an animal costume
-Lara in a ninja costume

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:38 
8-Bit Champion

Game is out next week , and the review embargo's lift at various points today

http://gamingeverything.com/41144/tomb- ... st-review/

(Review from the magazine version of Gamesmaster)

Quote:
Tomb Raider has received its first review, courtesy of this month’s issue of GamesMaster.

Crystal Dynamics’ latest earned a 90% score. The magazine had high praise for Tomb Raider’s visuals – the title was given a 95% rating in the category.

Players can look forward to 10-15 hours for the main story, though GamesMaster notes that it’ll take 20 to fully explore the island.

The magazine also enjoyed the “vivid” hubs and final third of the game “with its spectacular bombast”. GamesMaster wished Tomb Raider included more side tombs, but the ones present in the game are a joy to discover. For those wondering: there aren’t many quick time events.

GamesMaster sums up:

“Sitting back exhausted we were left with just one question dribbling forth from our gaping jaws. How on earth are they going to top this in the sequel? Because of one thing there can be no doubt. Lara is back.”

Look out for a whole slew of Tomb Raider reviews early next week. Square Enix will be ending the game’s embargo on Monday – over a week before the game launches.

Thanks to joclo for the tip.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:54 
Bad Girl

GamesMaster dribbling like a loon after, probably, several trips to the publishers offices to play it. I'm shocked. Really? Say it ain't so.

I'll wait till Edge gets their hands on it. Actually, I might get DmC next.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:02 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
GamesMaster dribbling like a loon after, probably, several trips to the publishers offices to play it. I'm shocked. Really? Say it ain't so.

At least its not 'day of release' embargo's like Aliens was , and yes its not exactly one that i'll be relying on to help me decide if i need to pick it up but we should see a lot of the other reviews go live later today (the magic time i've seen quoted in a few places is 15:00 this afternoon)

Saturnalian wrote:
I'll wait till Edge gets their hands on it. Actually, I might get DmC next.

DMC has some good reviews out there but does not seem to have sold that well which might prompt some cheapness (currently £35 is about the best price for it from Amazon)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:08 
Bad Girl

Aye, I was thinking that DmC might crash quite quickly. I really hope it's sold better in other parts of the world though, cause I'd like Ninja Theory to do well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 16:28 
8-Bit Champion

Reviews are starting to go up now

IGN 9.1 : http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/25/ ... r-review-2

Edge 8 : http://www.edge-online.com/review/tomb-raider-review-2/

Eurogamer 8 : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... der-review

Destructiod 8.5 : http://www.destructoid.com/review-tomb- ... 6503.phtml

EGM 8 : http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/ ... mb-raider/

Metacritic page : http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/tomb-raider currently sitting at an 87

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:00 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

My mental GF wants to buy this for the 360, even though:

* It's cheaper on PC
* The 360 is louder than my 'loud' computer
* The PC is within HDMI cable distance of the TV and we regularly hook it up in seconds, no problem. (Played LOTR Lego this way, for instance) and we have two 360 controllers that work fine on the PC.
* My PC is better than the 360 in terms of graphics etc.
* and the fact that I never use my 360, so it's dead dusty ;)

£37 is a bit too much. I much prefer the PC price point of £25.
So: Where is it cheap for 360? Dimmers is always on a bargain hunt, surely he can help?!

edit: Also, no PC vs console stuff plz. Let's talk cash.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:15 

Don't you start now :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:10 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

I just want cheap Laras!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:15 
8-Bit Champion

Pod wrote:
So: Where is it cheap for 360? Dimmers is always on a bargain hunt, surely he can help?!

Before I start Xbox stuff - you can get the PC one for £21.odds by getting it from Amazon.com and using the code CAGROCKS which knocks it down to $33 (you just need to add any US address to your account - buy it using your normal credit card and you'll get a steam key)

If you want to use Russ's site it has the cheapest as £31.74 from Gameseek

http://www.awin1.com/cread.php?awinmid= ... 5annb4vtx/

But Shopto are only 11p more expensive and have a very good reputation for getting it to people on day of or the day before release (so £31.85 : http://www.shopto.net/video%20games/xbo ... ital-comic )

*edit - actually shopto have the PC version as £19.85 for pre order http://www.shopto.net/video%20games/pc/ ... ital-comic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 14:36 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

£20? Bar-gain. She can put up with the noisy PC :boots:

Cheers Duck.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 20:23 
Skillmeister

Tesco have bost the street date for this, selling it from today at £32. If you're so inclined .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 21:08 
Bad Girl

I'm tempted by this now after the rave reviews about the writing. If I manage the motivation to finish Hitman I'll consider this. It's certainly tempted me more than Dead Space 3. Mind you, God of War is out soon and I'm a sucker for Kratos. But if DmC crashes in price...etc.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 23:10 
Excellent Member

I love me some Tomb Raider (well, I love me some the-last-three-Tomb-Raider-games as I never played them before that) and consequently am well looking forward to this. By which I of course mean that I'll pick it up about a year from now when I've played loads of other games due to the constant massive backlog I'm always whining about. I did just finish Kingdoms of Amalur if that makes me look slightly less of a twat though?

Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next